Howe do we Cook with Watts & LJ ?

H_T

Guest Artie Bucco

He was injured himself, when Nicholson and Evans came in.

Before they were considered he was emergency for a few weeks in a row, then got injured.

By suggesting him, I'm looking forward and I fully expect him to develop to the point where he is in our best 22.

I even see a small Frawley in him, the way he now absorbs contact in a tackle and gets his arms free.

I'd be keen to go

HF: Howe, Watts, Petterd

FF: Jurrah, Cook, Wonna

Howe and Watts I'd look to play higher, Watts for his delivery into the forward 50 and his ability to blow his opponent up through out a match (ala Nick Riewoldt) which I think Watts will develop.

Howe also I'd like up higher for his mobility, marking and tackling pressure that he can bring also.

Petterd I'd put on the oppositions most damaging half back, like a Heath Shaw or Chris Yarran. Try and take them away from the play but also have the ability to hurt them in our attacking 50 with his over head abilities.

I like Cook deep. From what I've seen of him at Casey he's a great one grab mark and kick at goal. Looks like a young Dvid Neitz to me, although I don't want to get ahead of myself.

Wonna is the perfect crumbing forward, just get front and square of Cook's contests, hopefully he comes back at his best, Maric could still be an option for this role also, same with Jetta.

Then the Jurracaine is the perfect mid sized forward to cap it all off. Dangerous in the air and deadly on the ground, he can play both Cook, and Wonna's roles, and close to goal is where he'll be most dangerous.

As for Jamar I'm happy for him to be rucking the whole time he's on the ground. Martin can play down back as our gorilla keeper but also chop out in the ruck when Russian needs a rest, with Rivers, Frawley & Garland all playing, they'll be able to cover Martin's ruck stints when needed.

Also look out for Jack Fitzpatrick to play deep forward also whenever a Watts, Cook, Jurrah or Howe is to miss. Fitzpatrick will be able to ultinate between deep forward and ruck with Jamar while others push up higher, allowing Martin to stay permanatly in defence for those games.

Edit: Spelling of Jurrah.

Spot on i reckon. Lets just hope that these young blokes develop into the players we need them to be.

He was injured himself, when Nicholson and Evans came in.

Before they were considered he was emergency for a few weeks in a row, then got injured.

By suggesting him, I'm looking forward and I fully expect him to develop to the point where he is in our best 22.

I even see a small Frawley in him, the way he now absorbs contact in a tackle and gets his arms free.

In regard to the future, we'll see (most players don't make it). You might have read that in another thread I suggested Strauss playing in the backline could release Tapscott to play further up the ground.

However, the post I replied to in this thread asserted that we should get Tapscott out of the backline now, and I'm not sure that's the way to go at the moment.

The idea of Jeremy Howe at full forward a la Jack Riewoldt is interesting.....could work. His leap will compensate for his height. Jack Watts is really tricky, I think he will become a player who has it all. When his endurance begins to peak in 3 or 4 years, and you combine his speed, physicality, marking and kicking ability, you pretty much want him everywhere. Will be interesting to see ;)

The idea of Jeremy Howe at full forward a la Jack Riewoldt is interesting.....could work. His leap will compensate for his height. Jack Watts is really tricky, I think he will become a player who has it all. When his endurance begins to peak in 3 or 4 years, and you combine his speed, physicality, marking and kicking ability, you pretty much want him everywhere. Will be interesting to see ;)

I agree. Jack isn't/won't be a one trick pony and I think that he will be talked about in terms of where he should play through his whole career.His endurance and ability to read the play makes you think that he should play up the ground but as he thickens up his ability to take a contested mark will make many think he should be in the goal square. Sounds a bit like the Nick riewoldt argument the Saints are having.

2014 Premiership Forwardline:

FF: Davey Cook Jurrah

CHF: Morton Watts Howe

I like the idea of Cook and Watts rotating. I hope they'll both be very big units by 2014 enabling each of them to play out of the square. This, however, would be a waste. Both have good engines and beautiful foot skills and could play centre half forward. Jurrah will enjoy the freedom he'll get once Watts and Cook mature and I like him playing closer to goal but with the potential to push up the ground, particularly given how the modern game looks to be evolving. I know everyone is a little down on Davey (with good reason) at the moment but I'm hoping he'll be the ultimate icing on the cake player and the icing for me should be in a forward pocket. We know from his first couple of years that he has the instincts. He'll be in the last of his 4 year contract and a little bit of symetry (returning to where he began) would be nice. I'm as disappointed as the next person with certain aspects of Morton's game but he's still a keeper for mine. His contested marking has really improved and I think the long term plan of the footy department is to play him as a high half forward. He can use his tank to give us run and then get forward into dangerous positions to take advantage of what we're hoping will be a difficult match-up for any opposition team. Howe is certainly flavour of the month at the moment but with good reason. He's been super impressive. I was expecting a highlight package and we've got ourselves a very well rounded forward. We know he can leap but he's got nice skills on either side of his body, reads the player well and most impressively works hard defensively. Jurrah, Davey, Morton and Howe all have the crumbing skills required to work off Cook and Watts and as we know Watts is very good below his knees. I like the balance, height, speed and potential run of this forward 6. My only concern is the defensive side of some of these players but if there is a taught skill and I'm confident with the depth we're assembling we'll have players pushing hard for spots and anyone lucky enough to be selected in our forwardline will be working hard with or without the ball. Tapscott could easily rotate through the forwardline and I'm sure in three years time we'll all be talking about the next exciting goal sneak that could push Davey out of this line-up.

Fitzy, now there's a bloke (pick 51) that's been spruiked about by CC (Chris Connolly) in a good light before. Haven't heard much since. Much progress to undertake still.

Shattered that he got injured. I saw his 2nd game for the year (Casey Reserves v Frankston Reserves) where he absolutely dominated. Kicked 6 but could have easily had 8 or 9, was clearly a cut above that level. Then for his first game with Casey seniors against Northern Bullants after kicking an early goal he got injured. Has amazing mobility for such a big bloke. I've got really high hopes for him.

Mmm...don't see the name Brad Green mentioned anywhere in the hypothetical forward line structure.

So I assume he'll be on a HBF? Or not.

Green's an interesting one. Ideally his best role would be Jurrah's or Howe's roles, he's to small for CHF or FF, and I don't think the defensive forward role is the best role for the captain to play.

As for the small forward role do we designate that role to Jurrah and ask him to play the roving role allowing Green to play deep in the other pocket? With Wonna, Maric & Jetta all struggling to make that spot their own do we trial a medium sized forward there instead???

Either way, long term Green wont be there and with him out of contract at seasons end and struggling for form he may not be there beyond this year?

Mmm...don't see the name Brad Green mentioned anywhere in the hypothetical forward line structure.

So I assume he'll be on a HBF? Or not.

Fair enough. The gist of my OP centres around if and when the four mentioned are playing together in the forward line regularly. I'd be very happy for Green if he is part of the forward structure in two years time, put it this way - I'd be pleasantly surprised if that was the case. For Watts to be playing deep consistently he would need maturity and strong foundation. I know there was no specific time line, but if I was to put forward a time frame it would be the possible structure in 3-4 years time.

Guest Artie Bucco

Captain or not, on recent form nearly all of those players should be getting a spot in the forward line ahead of Green.

He has been abysmal.

Wait, does that comment fit my agenda?

Better revise...

Please keep your 'secret' agenda out of these posts Artie :lol:

I like the idea of Watts at CHF helping deliver the ball to the FF line with his accurate disposal.

Howe leading from FF.

Jurrah skulking around the fall of the ball if he can't get a clean go at it himself.

Howe sliding in behind the leads (from HFF) for some 1 on 1 time on the long kick (with a run at the ball of course to utilise his athleticism).

Finally, some real chasers and tacklers following the ball in to help force a stoppage if the opposition get their hands on it and try to clear it out.

I think Cook should play the traditional CHF, the guy who you kick long to when you need it. Use him very similarly to how Cloke is at Collingwood (except when they are doing it so easy against us they can leave him in the goal square).

Watts I think should be trialed at full forward down the track, his speed on the lead and accurate conversion make him a possibility for this position.

Jurrah needs to get his work rate up so that he can be a forward pocket, who at the same time has great aerial skills and can be isolated in the goal square if need be.

The other option is make Jurrah the full forward, similar to a Michael O'Loughlin, and Watts as a floating midfield type for his career. Or maybe Cook becomes a full forward and with more bulk Watts is more of a contested marking CHF type.

Howe looks like a natural up the ground where his hard leading and strong hands are rewarded. He looks like a good option for the outlet kick from defence with Cook further afield. With a preseason or two his fitness might improve to a stage where by he runs like a midfielder as well. His ball use looks very sound. I hope we don't try and build him up too big (like we did with Bate and Dunn) and realise he is a third tall type and not the main man.

All 4 can play in the same side if they reach their potential, which means work rate as well as talent. You can squeeze Petterd in as well when he's at peak fitness.

It would be nice to have a forward line which uses its advantages (5 or so great marks), but first we need to fix the disadvantages which are stopping it functioning in this current AFL style.

I'd be keen to go

HF: Howe, Watts, Petterd

FF: Jurrah, Cook, Wonna

Howe and Watts I'd look to play higher, Watts for his delivery into the forward 50 and his ability to blow his opponent up through out a match (ala Nick Riewoldt) which I think Watts will develop.

Howe also I'd like up higher for his mobility, marking and tackling pressure that he can bring also.

Petterd I'd put on the oppositions most damaging half back, like a Heath Shaw or Chris Yarran. Try and take them away from the play but also have the ability to hurt them in our attacking 50 with his over head abilities.

I like Cook deep. From what I've seen of him at Casey he's a great one grab mark and kick at goal. Looks like a young Dvid Neitz to me, although I don't want to get ahead of myself.

Wonna is the perfect crumbing forward, just get front and square of Cook's contests, hopefully he comes back at his best, Maric could still be an option for this role also, same with Jetta.

Then the Jurracaine is the perfect mid sized forward to cap it all off. Dangerous in the air and deadly on the ground, he can play both Cook, and Wonna's roles, and close to goal is where he'll be most dangerous.

As for Jamar I'm happy for him to be rucking the whole time he's on the ground. Martin can play down back as our gorilla keeper but also chop out in the ruck when Russian needs a rest, with Rivers, Frawley & Garland all playing, they'll be able to cover Martin's ruck stints when needed.

Also look out for Jack Fitzpatrick to play deep forward also whenever a Watts, Cook, Jurrah or Howe is to miss. Fitzpatrick will be able to ultinate between deep forward and ruck with Jamar while others push up higher, allowing Martin to stay permanatly in defence for those games.

Edit: Spelling of Jurrah.

I agree with this setup. I think Cook will be more of a FF target and has less pace than Watts. Howe may prove even more versatile due to his excellent ground skills. He and Sylvia could rotate into the midfield. I agree that Aussie is our best small forward option if he is fit and focused. Aussie can mark. Maric is not great overhead. Aussie, when in form, rarely wastes a kick (I know he hasn't used it so well this year). Jurrah is able to do anything. He is so strong in the air but can play the opportunist small forward as well as anyone. This provides enormous flexibility with Aussie and LJ either side of a tall marking forward. This setup also provides reasonable forward pressure (providing everybody does their job).

Edited by btdemon

Ideally I'd like Jamar in the goal square with Liam alongside him in the forward pocket. At present it's pretty clear that Liam is taking some time to adjust to a new role further up the ground. He's got all the attributes to succeed in this new role, but he's definitely on a learning curve. I just hope that the evolving structures of the modern game do not take great leaping for marks out of the game. This would be a shame, as we all know just how damaging Liam can be in the air, especially if the ball is kicked down forward quickly enough.

He won't lose that ability as a Half forward flanker, in fact it would be expected that he, from time to time fly through the pack from the side, or weave through from the back.. But his mainstay would be as a hardworking flanker covering a lot of ground.

At some stage we have to start to think about our delivery into our forward line rather than our delivery out of our back line. We get Grimes back, hopefully Strauss can continue to improve, Garland and Frawley are good enough by foot still have their moments like Monday but generally OK, I'm impressed by McDonald I've seen him a few times at Casey, big boy can mark and kick.

This goes back to the mindset of our coaching department, they want to start our attack from deep in defense. Tapscott is a forward and if I was Cook, Watts and Co I would love for him to be pumping the ball into our 50m arc.