MFC need to take a look at Richmond

lucifer

I never thought I'd write this, thinking about those tootheless scumbags that are Richmond. However, watching the Richmond v Essendon match, the difference I see between where we are and where Richmond and Essendon are is that absoloute desperation for the ball and to win the contest. There is no going around in circles. There is no handballing to players standing still with their backs to the play. Their players work for each other and take pride in their performance. I know we have injuries. I know we have young kids....

BUT, it is about time Melbourne stopped accepting mediocrity, and started demanding excellence. This must begin with Aaron Davey being dropped. The example is set by the leadership group. His example is to shirk contests. I would rather see kids in there having ago (see Michael Evans) than hacks like Newton who can't kick a goal from the square.

Enough said.

Gotta admit to being jealous that on the surface Richmond and Essendon seem to generally have more passion for the contest week in week out than we do.

We dont seem to have the heart or the toughness.

I really hate it but it seems we are the best downhill skiers in the comp at the moment.

I thought the majority today tried pretty hard, if you get our worst 5 players and replace them with some of our injured ones with the effort today we would win more than we would lose. This is evident in us winning more hard balls and tackles, kicking more than we handball and they did etc

One comment being on the commentary, "St Kilda are more polished"

As you say Richmond are doing this, with more healthy players than us

The intensity that Richmond play with is trademark of Hardwick, we need to do it every week

I thought the majority today tried pretty hard, if you get our worst 5 players and replace them with some of our injured ones with the effort today we would win more than we would lose. This is evident in us winning more hard balls and tackles, kicking more than we handball and they did etc

The intensity that Richmond play with is trademark of Hardwick, we need to do it every week

Yep, this is also a mindset that the coaching staff need to generate and if they cannot do that, the admin need to look at someone who can make the passion to compete a non-negotiable part of the MFC.

Glad you brought this up. I just got back from this game, while playing in front of 80,000 must be a huge buzz. But two players for the tiges who stood out for me were Nahas and King. Players who i dislike and hate when we play them. I have to respect them after tonight. No they didn't dominate the gam but two of the smallest blokes on the ground had a massive crack, did there job and defended like there lives were on the line. While Davey and Petterd have far more talent both seem like it is just to hard to try like these guys week in week out. I like the look of Dylan Grimes too, has a dip. If we don't beat Essendon in 2 weeks we may as well give up.

Today's issue wasn't the spirit/intensity/effort. It was a lack of class and poor skill execution.

We are always going to struggle when we have Bartram, Warnock, MacDonald, Bate, Petterd and Newton in the same side. Replace them with Jamar, Trengove, Scully, Grimes, Garland and Bail and you can see where the problem lay today. We gave away so many goals from turnovers and other assorted mistakes. When we tighten that side of our game up, so long as we maintain the effort, that's when the wins will come.

It also doesn't help that Davey, Jurrah and Sylvia didn't play well. Three skillful players not living up to their ability, when we're already down in the ability stakes, hurts.

Today's issue wasn't the spirit/intensity/effort. It was a lack of class and poor skill execution.

We are always going to struggle when we have Bartram, Warnock, MacDonald, Bate, Petterd and Newton in the same side. Replace them with Jamar, Trengove, Scully, Grimes, Garland and Bail and you can see where the problem lay today. We gave away so many goals from turnovers and other assorted mistakes. When we tighten that side of our game up, so long as we maintain the effort, that's when the wins will come.

It also doesn't help that Davey, Jurrah and Sylvia didn't play well. Three skillful players not living up to their ability, when we're already down in the ability stakes, hurts.

Sylvia Played well. Don't mention him in the same sentence as the other to pea hearts

Petterd was dissapointing yes, however, i think he has a little more upside potential than the others at the start of your list up there. Doesn't mean i'd leave him in next week on that performance though. I think maybe another rocket needed here. Even if it means blooding a first gamer like Howe in order to replace him and send the message/and allow him further development time in the Magoos.

I really don't want to see part-time forward types in our team again (like Petterd/Newton) unless/until we can see a marked step up in ability/skill and finish under fairly intense pressure.

It's time to turn up the heat....no matter WHO is under-performing and not putting in the required "non negotiable" efforts.

Sylvia i wouldn't put in with the other 3 either. Albeit i think he doesn't finish as well as he could option wise on many occasions. Seems a little happy to dump the ball long whenever pressed, without taking the extra effort/time to ensure it's delivered to the advantage of team mate (more often than not. no one's perfect under pressure all of the time or anytime for that matter...even champions). At other times he looks stunning with his delivery. I'd just like to see him improving his effective ball use a little more when he breaks clear.

Shouldn't he now be at a level, fitness/skill/experience wise, that he's occasionally pushing up into the forward line for a contest and to present too? Kicking a few goals on occasions? Yes he's done so in the past. But where's the consistency? Seems to be happy to play his central position and sit on it without this extra "pushing up" work in some games, like today. The greats do this extra work more often than not.

I'm referring to the likes of Juddy, Goodes, Chapman, Ablett, Reiwoldt etc. They're willing to work that little extra when the heat is on and game is up for grabs to try and make a difference and do the one percenters to help out the TEAM! Aka the Jones Boy today.

And no i'm not putting Jones in the champion league by any means, but i think he lead the way today, showing that he's not gonna lay down without a huge effort/fight. Pushing himself to provide the extra link, run and get to the contest all day. This is somewhere towards the minimum effort we should demand from all players at this club effort/skill wise.

In some ways, having the list so depleted is going help us sort out the more senior players, with regard to who really wants to stick their hand up and lay it on the line for this club and who doesn't. And also those that are able to play at a minimum required level skill/execution wise under Bailey's/ the FD's game plan/s :rolleyes:

By the time some of our big guns/regulars are back in and settled we will have a much better idea of who was and wasn't up to it in this group.

I think we discovered at least one today who wasn't in terms of willingness/attitude (Davey). And at least one other in the skill/ability/physicality dept under pressure/heat (Newton/Petterd?). Albeit, i don't see too many gun forwards waiting in the wings as replacements at Casey right now for both. Maybe it's time to roll the Howe dice (for Newton).

Lets hope the Coach/FD has the sense (and balls) to make some pretty tough but clever decisions with the list in the latter part of this season in the cold light of day.

Edited by Rusty Nails

It's called spirit; they have it we don't.

Too many soft players at Melbourne who seem content to get a game and a pay cheque every week. Winning is all too hard.

The softeness is so entrenched in this clubs culture I don't see how it can be changed now. Just look at the fact that we hired Bailey in the first place and drafted half of the guys we did. What we are also good at is ruining the potential of a lot of good young players.

*cough cough* Aaron Davey *cough*

*cough cough* Liam Jurrah *cough*

*cough cough* Brad Green *cough*

All exceptionally skilled, all lacking spirit/intensity/effort today (to varying degrees)

For mine, it was both skills and endeavour, as well as lack of imagination from our coaching staff.

For mine, it was both skills and endeavour, as well as lack of imagination from our coaching staff.

I think that covers just about all there is to cover :rolleyes: !!!

Edited by QueenC
Spelling

Absolutely kills me to see Richmond passing us in terms of progress aa a team, which at this stage I think they definitely have. A key factor is their selection IMO, ex. Graham, their number one ruckman by miles being dropped from the side for a bad game last week, and clearly Melbourne would not do this to a player of equivalent importance.

Sylvia Played well. Don't mention him in the same sentence as the other to pea hearts

He wasn't as bad as they were, sure, but it's not like he was that good. He could have played better. Not as his best, the same as Davey, Jurrah and virtually the rest of the side.

*cough cough* Aaron Davey *cough*

*cough cough* Liam Jurrah *cough*

*cough cough* Brad Green *cough*

All exceptionally skilled, all lacking spirit/intensity/effort today (to varying degrees)

Green was incredibly better yesterday, far in front of Davey and Jurrah. His second efforts and tackling were much improved on last week. A big improvement.

Yep.

The softeness is so entrenched in this clubs culture I don't see how it can be changed now. Just look at the fact that we hired Bailey in the first place and drafted half of the guys we did. What we are also good at is ruining the potential of a lot of good young players.

I worry that most of our young players will be infected and wilt on the vine if this culture of softness persists.

I worry that most of our young players will be infected and wilt on the vine if this culture of softness persists.

Dare you to say that to Brent Moloney's face, or Nathan Jones, Chip, Tappy, Russian or even Grimes, Trengove, Warnock, Nev Jetta, Bail. Tell Jordy Gysberts that he doesn't put in enough.

We have one player who is currently soft, and a captain who is coming to terms with responsibilty and has until yesterday failed. They are weak links that must be changed or eradicated. When things get hard we find out the most about a list and get an opportunity to respond.

I thought in the face of adversity Brad Geen made a statement yesterday. I look forward to seeing the continued response from him, Jones and Moloney.

Dare you to say that to Brent Moloney's face, or Nathan Jones, Chip, Tappy, Russian or even Grimes, Trengove, Warnock, Nev Jetta, Bail. Tell Jordy Gysberts that he doesn't put in enough.

We have one player who is currently soft, and a captain who is coming to terms with responsibilty and has until yesterday failed. They are weak links that must be chaged or eradicated. When things get hard we find out the most about a list and get an opportunity to respond.

I thought in the face of adversity Brad Geen made a statement yesterday. I look forward to seeing the continued response from him, Jones and Moloney.

How come every one keeps on daring me? Did I slander them?

Looking forward to see Brad keep it up for the year and not just when he gets the red hot poker up the proverbial. Seen too much talent gone to waste over several generations and are our youngest finest learning from the best?.

Guest Artie Bucco

These type of brainless threads are insufferable.

Pick a team that has just had a few good matches strung together culminating in a really good win and claim that they have something we don't.

How about a more advanced list?

How about a shorter injury list?

Do people think before they post, or do they lead with blind emotion?

Where is the analysis of the FACTS rather than feeble attempts to define the intangible?

These type of brainless threads are insufferable.

Pick a team that has just had a few good matches strung together culminating in a really good win and claim that they have something we don't.

How about a more advanced list?

How about a shorter injury list?

Do people think before they post, or do they lead with blind emotion?

Where is the analysis of the FACTS rather than feeble attempts to define the intangible?

Do you want to discuss football or fact sheets and statistics?