Game Day Thread (Round 3)

Demonland

Don't know what it is but we seem to always start slow. Why? :(

If we can lead from the front, who knows what we may become.

Does any one know the last time we won all four quarters?? :blink:

Edited by olgreydingo

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Stef had a great game today. He's really starting to use his athletic attributes now. If we can teach him to kick he'll be a star.

Agree, he is really coming along. My favourite part of the game was the half-time break with the pushing and shoving. Chip came in and gave it to the Lions (I liked it) and it was Stef Martin taking the lead it giving it back to them when Clarke started getting into Jamar. Melbourne need to step up and put an end to the intimidation. Stef is a massive unit and I liked seeing him stand up (as with Tapscott).

I also loved Aussie's aggression. He must play every game if fit. He is a champ.

Agree, he is really coming along. My favourite part of the game was the half-time break with the pushing and shoving. Chip came in and gave it to the Lions (I liked it) and it was Stef Martin taking the lead it giving it back to them when Clarke started getting into Jamar. Melbourne need to step up and put an end to the intimidation. Stef is a massive unit and I liked seeing him stand up (as with Tapscott).

I also loved Aussie's aggression. He must play every game if fit. He is a champ.

Whoever the dog was that put a knee into Grimes' head while Grimes was lying hurt on the ground, deserved to have his head ripped off by every Melbourne players in the area. Sadly I don't think the players noticed it. Hopefully the match review panel will and he'll cop weeks for that. Was a very low act!

DC what about Stef martin? add that to your list.

4 points and Stef.

True old dee, Stef has turned the corner, but I'd already come to that conclusion after the first two rounds

Stef is doing what I'd hoped he would have done in 2009 instead of going backwards, so I'm pleased

If we need to add to the list how about the Gys. That Draft year is looking a standout (Sculls, Trengove, Tappy and Gys already)

Why put him in casey when he will probably show his wares against the Suns next week, I would stick with him for the full season. Juice is due for a call up after 6 goals yesterday.

Stef Martin has had a good start so far, he is what Jamar needed, he can play just about anywhere. He kicked a few goals for Casey last year, so we know he can play up forward & down back.

I agree 'Sturmann'. I think Watts Needs some help in the marking dept'.

I think that with Jamar,and now Martin helping out in the big man dept and in the Air,,, if we were to bring in another with marking ability, in Petterd and maybe Newton as well,,,, that will take some pressure of the team re the forward movement and defensively as well. there isalso more protection for our less physical kids. Not insinuating anyrhing re Watts here. But others.

I think that if we have more control in the air around the pack, with these big boys, then that could have a possitive impact for Watts to chip in for a few marks and some offensive play.

So far this season our young side has been on the defensive, for most of the time out there. If we have more control in the air, IMO it will give more opportunity to our up'n'comers, to feed on the crumbs, and to 'chipin' for there own 'protected' marks. Under the wing of our big boys.

This would give a chopout, and be encouraging, for the likes of Watts amd Wonnaemirri, Maric if he was in, etc.

True old dee, Stef has turned the corner, but I'd already come to that conclusion after the first two rounds

Stef is doing what I'd hoped he would have done in 2009 instead of going backwards, so I'm pleased

If we need to add to the list how about the Gys. That Draft year is looking a standout (Sculls, Trengove, Tappy and Gys already)

Daisy, well dunn, done.

Remember our chat, haha...

He's doin' nicely, our boy.

Some hysterical posting once again post-match.

I feel like some people aren't even trying to think about the big picture. The big picture is that we will be contending for the top4 and premiership from 2013 onwards, NOT 2011.

At the moment we pretty much have our best 22 on the park (minus Scully, McKenzie and arguably Petterd). We DON'T need to drop Morton, Jones, Watts, Davey and every other player.

What we DO need, is to keep playing these guys, get them playing 30, then 50 and then 70 games playing together as a team. Learn how to play as a unit, develop and improve together. By 2013, Watts, Gysberts, Grimes, Trengove, Scully, Morton, Tapscott, Bennel and Jurrah will have more than 50 games- people forget they are still babies in terms of AFL experience.

It is going to be a frustrating season this year for sure. For the first time in 4 years, we actually have high expectations. But we cant' lose sight of the big picture, and we have to persevere.

One day it might all just click for guys like Trengove and Watts, and we'll wonder why we ever gave them such a hard time when they were teenagers, trying to develop and learn the game.

I know watt your saying, but, yes we do need to drop players for lack of heart.

Watts is Not one of them. He Is the one I would carry.

I know watt your saying, but, yes we do need to drop players for lack of heart.

Watts is Not one of them. He Is the one I would carry.

dee luded why is Watts the one player that never needs to be dropped to Casey to get some form and confidence back.

He gets more protection than the President if the USA.

Watts has been good I agree. His tackling has actually been solid this game.

God his leads get ignored alot by his team mates though!

Spot on! I am getting really frustrated watching team mates not honour his leading when he leads at the right time, to the right place, and has 2 metres on his opponent. Kicking toward the Punt Rd end in the 2nd quarter, 3 leads totally ignored, and two of these were from Brad Green.

dee luded why is Watts the one player that never needs to be dropped to Casey to get some form and confidence back.

He gets more protection than the President if the USA.

Because if you watch him closely you can see the things he's trying to do. He's a very smart footballer who uses the ball very well, setting up our other players.

Today, in the Wet, is not a good day for a scrawny tall forward who is 90 kgs dripping wet.

But he is trying to contedst and is getting to more man on man airiel contests. He is trying to have a go, so, I wouldn't drop him for making mistakes, as long as he's putting his body in. Showing courage.

However, If it's going to be a torrent next week, then I would leave him home and take a quick running side.

Either way Newton in. Petterd in.

Spot on! I am getting really frustrated watching team mates not honour his leading when he leads at the right time, to the right place, and has 2 metres on his opponent. Kicking toward the Punt Rd end in the 2nd quarter, 3 leads totally ignored, and two of these were from Brad Green.

That was so annoying! He made a perfect lead into the Half forward flank for Green and was totally ignored. He decided to bomb instead. What does the kid have to do for them to actually kick it to him?

That was so annoying! He made a perfect lead into the Half forward flank for Green and was totally ignored. He decided to bomb instead. What does the kid have to do for them to actually kick it to him?

Perhaps they don't trust him!

Don't trust the guy who beat Brad Green in a goalkicking contest? Makes sense to me.

Personally I'd be trying to get the ball in his hands inside 50 as often as possible.

Then why else do they in your words ignore him.

+1

It was a pretty miserable day, especially sitting in the rain watching that first quarter where the players really couldn't get out of first gear. The supporters were actually booing them, that's how badly we played.

Really? I'm shocked. People were booing! Poor dear, you must have been in tears.

Deserved the booing they copped as they moved to the huddles for quarter time.

Deserved the chance to fight back into it, which they did, and deserved the cheers for the other 2.5 quarters (half of the 4th quarter was junk as well).

We really do need to get that killer instinct to not slack off when we are on top, to keep fighting, and keep scoring. Nothing worse than watching a Demon hold up the ball - leading to an inevitable turn-over when we play possession football. You win footy by scoring goals, much more than chipping it around to soak up time. If you kick enough goals it doesn't matter how much time there is on the clock remaining.

All in all i think i'm still wet... who else sat in the rain the whole game? Definitely played our best footy in it too.

The thing that keeps annoying me is that the players who get plenty of the ball, like Jones, are not very good players (although Jones was very good today, so not taking that away from him), but our better players just don't get enough of the ball. I want Davey, Bennell, Sylvia etc to dispose of the ball 20 times a game each, not half a dozen times, and that is the problem at the moment.

Sylvia says hi with 22 disposals. :)

Really? I'm shocked. People were booing! Poor dear, you must have been in tears.

Poor reply.