Changes for next week vs Hawthorn

titan_uranus

I agree it would be a bad call to drop Maric.He was one of our brightest lights in the pre-season, you can just sword him after one that is totally unfair and not the way to run a developing footy side. If we were in September and it was all about fielding the best possible side then maybe

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our Round 5 side is going to be a very, very interesting one. I think it will give us a great indication as to how we will travel this year, and it will give us an even great indication where the future of some of our players are at (ie Bate).

Sure will be. Given we have the bye that round, if we have a team at all that would be something!

Why's that? To sub for Frawley if he is not fit for a full game?

I like the idea of an extra runner or someone that can bring a bit of spark as a sub.

No.

If Frawley comes in we don't want to be too top heavy with defenders. Frawley, Garland, Rivers, and McDonald,,, IMO, leaves us without enough agility & Dash, plus footskills, around the backhalf. So if we bring in a tall defender, then I think one should drop out. I don't think it would be Rivers.

Also of the taller defenders who could come out, McDonald imo is versatile. If he came on via Sub, we could move others around.

If we were to need more runners, I would want them throughout the game, rotating through the bench, and keeping as fresh as possible. The Petterd Sub was perfect, as he was a bit underdone, and came on to burst through the last Qtr.

IMO, we need to keep the runners we had Rnd1, in... The connectivity between players was good, and soon Frawley, then Morton, then maybe Wonnaemirri, will be a knockin'.

So I would take this opportunity to give young Maric a further game or so, to show his wares. He's got some tricks and needs the opportunity to gain some confidence and composure at this level.

Guest Thomo

When are people going to except that Macca was finished !!! Would you rather have the Brad Johnson scenario and play on a year too long ??? The club did what it needed to do & I applaude them for making the hard call. It's something the MFC has struggled with in the past.

Or two years too long like Neitz. I think the club learned from that.

I'd be happy with no change, but if Frawley is fit and Jones is not...

IN: Frawley, Gysberts.

OUT: Jones, MacDonald.

Agree with this.

If Melbourne is serious about developing the younger players, Gysberts must play this weekend. It was reported he played well for Casey.

I hope bails doesn't drop Tapscott for Frawley. MacDonald should be dropped.

I'd really like us to play 6 forwards from the first bounce. If Hodge is back and unaccountable, our pea-shooter forward line won't do a thing. Make everyone accountable. I know it's a huge risk but I believe it severely hinders their rolling zone movement.

Edited by Geddy Lee

When are people going to except that Macca was finished !!! Would you rather have the Brad Johnson scenario and play on a year too long ??? The club did what it needed to do & I applaude them for making the hard call. It's something the MFC has struggled with in the past.

SD I made no comment about if he could have gone around in 2011.

It was the way it was handled.

A distinct lack of finese and Sympathy.

Even Bailey admitted it could have been done a lot better.

SD I made no comment about if he could have gone around in 2011.

It was the way it was handled.

A distinct lack of finese and Sympathy.

Even Bailey admitted it could have been done a lot better.

I was talking to a fairly recent ex-Demon yesterday, and he said that the thing that hurt the most about being given the tap on the shoulder was that he didn't get to make the decision. In his mind, he could've played an extra year, but assured us that the Club made the right choice because about 6 months after his last game, he realised just how f***ed his body was (he used those exact words).

He said that Jnr is not silly, and knew he would struggle to go around once more, especially after taking 6 weeks or so to get over a hammy last year. He assured me that Jnr was not upset with the decision.

The only person he claimed that was still a bit annoyed that he was let go was Robbo, as he still feels that he could play AFL. As we both agreed, Robbo will be 70 and still fell he can play AFL!

2 other points that he made, that are unrelated to this thread also; he didn't agree with the mentality of being a high draft pick = automatic game time (didn't mention any names), and the other point was that he would dearly love to return to Melbourne in some coaching capacity. This was the most interesting point becuase that to me sounds like the past players culture issue that some are concerned about on here is minimal. Of the current crop, the one that excited him the most (called him an effing gun) was Trengove.

I'm not going to name this player, but I can assure you, they were his words.

I was talking to a fairly recent ex-Demon yesterday, and he said that the thing that hurt the most about being given the tap on the shoulder was that he didn't get to make the decision. In his mind, he could've played an extra year, but assured us that the Club made the right choice because about 6 months after his last game, he realised just how f***ed his body was (he used those exact words).

He said that Jnr is not silly, and knew he would struggle to go around once more, especially after taking 6 weeks or so to get over a hammy last year. He assured me that Jnr was not upset with the decision.

The only person he claimed that was still a bit annoyed that he was let go was Robbo, as he still feels that he could play AFL. As we both agreed, Robbo will be 70 and still fell he can play AFL!

2 other points that he made, that are unrelated to this thread also; he didn't agree with the mentality of being a high draft pick = automatic game time (didn't mention any names), and the other point was that he would dearly love to return to Melbourne in some coaching capacity. This was the most interesting point becuase that to me sounds like the past players culture issue that some are concerned about on here is minimal. Of the current crop, the one that excited him the most (called him an effing gun) was Trengove.

I'm not going to name this player, but I can assure you, they were his words.

Thanks for the info Billy.

Contrary to popular opinion I have always thought Trengove might end up a better player than Scully.

I think his disposal and decision making is better.

But time will tell

Edited by old dee