BITTER, SWEET, BITTER

Demonland

I feel that once the true season starts and our boys are playing for 4 premiership points we will find their intensity and attack lift dramaticly! Consciously or sub-consciously they would look at the Practise Games as being just that...PRACTISE. When it comes to the real thing with real premiership points on the line then you will see a difference in intensity, attack and general match performance. That is my (hope) and belief anyhow...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell me you are joking!! Pretty sure 3 of those blokes didnt play tonight, one has yet to debut another has played 2 games in his career and you have written them all off after a 4 goal loss in a meaningless practice match??? WOWEE!!!

No major injuries during all pre season matches..that`ll do me. Results are meaningless until a fortnights time.

You beat me to it 'Hell Bent". Laughable comment by a poster who reckons he doesn't like bashing players. Extremely harsh and unfair to claim Sam Blease has no heart when he hasn't played a game yet. Wait for the real season mate to question a player's heart. Jack Watts is ready to GO! Morton will be very useful when he resumes too.

if these are just practice matches and the players are playing in spurts or at half pace, then Addam Maric is going to be untouchable. He seems to be playing for a spot in the side irrespective of it being a pre season 'practice' game.

Its going to be another long season, but expect plenty of great games and unexpected poor turnouts. Few more season before you can start realistically talking about adding another star of their backs. (lets hope there is no more talk about "top 4"....)

I don't post on here much (obviously). But after just completing the round trip from Hobart to aurora stadium I am too tired to write something in depth about the game. Sufficed to say this was a practice game. It looked like one in the last half especially. But there was certainly enough in the first half to make you think that this year is definitely going to be better than last year.

Woo hoo someone was actually at the game!! The one comment I will take anything from about this game, as none of the rest of us actually watched it!!

Gee we are an ordinary football team.... Frustrating to be a supporter of a team that hasn't had a back bone for 26 years and is regarded by many to be softest in the comp and a team that doesn't win contested footy.

Pre season or not we are in trouble this year again. I am watching Collingwood atm and I look and think, there not a skillful team at all but [censored] they great in contested situations. Footy is changing.

We draft players like Watts, Blease, Strauss & Morton because they have sublime skill but no heart. You can never teach courage and mongrel none of these players will ever have either of these traits cause they have never shown it in there life. Then you have a look at who Collingwood draft. Drawes, Sidebottom, Beams & Wellingham all players that aren't scared of body contact.

I hate to player bash but gee I'm sick of complacency at MFC. Is it just me or are we actually a soft footy club supporters included? Can someone tell me why Jack Watts can't attack the ball like Hurley? Don't tell me it's cause he's 19. What are we going to be saying in 3 weeks when he's 20. Can someone tell me why Strauss and Morton are scared of body contact? I play footy as I'm sure many of you do and there is nothing worse when someone doesn't out there body on the line for the team. On the flip side there is nothing better then seeing a young 16/17 year old tearing in cause all they want is respect from there peers

You demonstrate a clear lack of understanding of practice matches and their purpose.

Have you ever even played in one yourself..?

The scoreline is inconsequential.

Bar Frawley and Morton and to a lesser extent Campbell I'd say we've just completed a near perfect pre-season. Virtually everyone's had a run, not 1 serious injury during a match. Tapscott and Blease have both played. Maric and Jetta have shown they have what it takes. Jurrah's proven he's going to tear the game apart at some point. Scully's making all the right noises. Some of you wish we were playing as well as Esssendon, let's just look at the scorecard after round 5.

Go Demons, Unleash hell!

Its always difficult and frustrating to know what to make of the pre-season comp, however it may not be as meaningless as some on here assert. Since the infamous Carlton performance in the NAB cup in 2007, (going on to gain the spoon was most likely more the result of their late season tanking rather than them truly being the worst in the comp however) at least one or more of the finalists in the NAB cup have gone deep into the regular season finals to prelims and grand finals. Many including myself would believe that this will happen again this year with Collingwood. So although some match results can seem meaningless, certainly Essendon in a final seems laughable, I'm not so sure its as irrelevant as people think, as the great clubs tend to have great depth and desire to win the NAB cup, and seem to be putting some focus on winning pre-season games.. or at least put a few decent performances together.

That being said .. I am not panicking at this stage, I think Melbourne seems to have shown a bit this preseason and should continue to improve on last year. However, it is a little worrying that we still exihibit some of our key negatives from last year, not winning enough clearances, not entering the forward 50 enough, giving up too many goals attempting to get the ball out of defence... I'm not in the business of chastisizing young players for their pre-season performance, however based on the aforementioned I would think a lot would have to improve for us to be challenging top sides this year. So bring on the season, bring on improvement and lets see what happens...

Bar Frawley and Morton and to a lesser extent Campbell I'd say we've just completed a near perfect pre-season. Virtually everyone's had a run, not 1 serious injury during a match. Tapscott and Blease have both played. Maric and Jetta have shown they have what it takes. Jurrah's proven he's going to tear the game apart at some point. Scully's making all the right noises. Some of you wish we were playing as well as Esssendon, let's just look at the scorecard after round 5.

Go Demons, Unleash hell!

Such a logical post should see you banned from this site :lol:

When they start playing pre-season games at the MCG and we have such similar results I may start to show some concern.

The whole game will change as soon as the season starts, quarters are longer and there are 25% less players available to rotate - 21 + sub from 24 + 2 subs.

Frawley out of our defence shifts the whole make up both defensively and offensively and proves that with Jamar he is our most integral player.

I will hold fire until round 5 and then see where we're at.

Edited by big_red_fire_engine

What the????? "And where is the significant improvement from Bennell, Watts, Blease, Strauss, Tapscott, Gysberts"

I nearly chocked, Watts showed a vast improvement last year, and will improve this year. Blease broke his leg!!! You expect him firing already.. Tapscott played his FIRST game last week and in the first half was probably best on ground behind Jetta... and Gysberts has only played 3 games, all of which were pretty damn impressive before being injured. I don't think they are losing their battle with injuries, I think you are just impatient.

2011 will bring improvements, just maybe not as much as you are hoping for. 2012 - 2016 are the years for me!

Why are Essendon (who have a similarly young list) finding improvers everywhere where we have Maric and Jet. Tapscott I nearly left off that list, that is unfair to him. But Strauss, Blease and Gysberts had a whole preseason to get right and instead got wrong. Sure Blease was injured but you either get over it or you don't. Have you ever seen a race horse come back from 2 years out and be a star, it doesn't happen. I'm not blaming him but if he was going to be a player he would be back by now. As you said Tapscott bounced straight in last week, why are the others not doing that. Stop making excuses for Watts. He spends too much time in his own little superstar world. If we keep letting him play half baked games without dropping him we'll be doing ourselves a disservice.

Maybe it will come together in 2012 onwards but I'm predicting a drop this year and I'm almost certain Bailey will go in similar fashion to Knights. He's changed his game plan from up the middle to round the boundary and an already confused playing group don't have a clue what the hell is going on. He's fascinated with how much weights we've done when he should be more interested in how fit we are and how much run we have in the side. Every year Jones and Moloney get more bulked and less agile, it's rediculous.

Edited by Nasher

You demonstrate a clear lack of understanding of practice matches and their purpose.

Have you ever even played in one yourself..?

The scoreline is inconsequential.

It did not seem inconsequential to Hawthorn.

They start the season full of confidence

And will play finals.

Unfortunately we are the reverse.

My gut tells me a long year ahead.

Membership sales will be low the next two weeks!

So many words from so many who didn't WATCH the game. All very Chinese whisper in nature.

It's amazing there's any sky left after falling all the time. I suggest many take a Bex , have a lay down and wait for the season proper and then well all get a look at our real progress.

Its always difficult and frustrating to know what to make of the pre-season comp, however it may not be as meaningless as some on here assert. Since the infamous Carlton performance in the NAB cup in 2007, (going on to gain the spoon was most likely more the result of their late season tanking rather than them truly being the worst in the comp however) at least one or more of the finalists in the NAB cup have gone deep into the regular season finals to prelims and grand finals. Many including myself would believe that this will happen again this year with Collingwood. So although some match results can seem meaningless, certainly Essendon in a final seems laughable, I'm not so sure its as irrelevant as people think, as the great clubs tend to have great depth and desire to win the NAB cup, and seem to be putting some focus on winning pre-season games.. or at least put a few decent performances together.

That being said .. I am not panicking at this stage, I think Melbourne seems to have shown a bit this preseason and should continue to improve on last year. However, it is a little worrying that we still exihibit some of our key negatives from last year, not winning enough clearances, not entering the forward 50 enough, giving up too many goals attempting to get the ball out of defence... I'm not in the business of chastisizing young players for their pre-season performance, however based on the aforementioned I would think a lot would have to improve for us to be challenging top sides this year. So bring on the season, bring on improvement and lets see what happens...

Do you think so from where I sit it looks like more of the same as the last few years.

6-8 good players and the rest made up of kids with little experience / game time

who are yet to prove they are good AFL level players.

So many words from so many who didn't WATCH the game. All very Chinese whisper in nature.

It's amazing there's any sky left after falling all the time. I suggest many take a Bex , have a lay down and wait for the season proper and then well all get a look at our real progress.

I don't think there are enough Bex to go round.

You must be as old as me no one under 60 would know what "Bex" is!

Sick of hearing, people should lie down and take a bex the sky is falling in.

It's disturbing for the club that they had there 3 best mids out and we got smashed out if the middle

The second half they out scored us 26 to 63 with scoring shots of 27 to 15. Without Franklin.

Yes it is pre season but what have the boys learnt? How to get through practice matches without injury? WOW WE! The one thing the cub need is a winning feeling. We won 36 quarters of football last year that's a joke.

If anyone on here thinks that we are a sure thing for round 1 you are kidding yourself? The thing is we should be. We pump them late last year. All I can say is I'm glad were not playing Gold Coast first up because if we played them in 2 weeks and lost the boys confidence would be shattered. It just feels like we are going to start slow again this year. It seems like we have lost all our momentum from last year. I just hope the boys don't feel the same.

Sick of hearing, people should lie down and take a bex the sky is falling in.

It's disturbing for the club that they had there 3 best mids out and we got smashed out if the middle

The second half they out scored us 26 to 63 with scoring shots of 27 to 15. Without Franklin.

Yes it is pre season but what have the boys learnt? How to get through practice matches without injury? WOW WE! The one thing the cub need is a winning feeling. We won 36 quarters of football last year that's a joke.

If anyone on here thinks that we are a sure thing for round 1 you are kidding yourself? The thing is we should be. We pump them late last year. All I can say is I'm glad were not playing Gold Coast first up because if we played them in 2 weeks and lost the boys confidence would be shattered. It just feels like we are going to start slow again this year. It seems like we have lost all our momentum from last year. I just hope the boys don't feel the same.

Now that's a clanger!

How the hell do we know how much they were trying? This ONLY matters if we know for sure that the team had winning in their sights.

If it was a training drill for Bailey to utilise, then we have nothing to worry about... and the thing is we'll never know. He can come out in the media and say he's trying to win it all... but that could just be appeasing the masses.

We'll find out what we're made of in the first month of the season.

Ok, now that I have a couple of hours sleep, here is my take on what went on in Launceston (the home of the rats tail it seems) last night.

The first half was great, the second half wasn't. The first quarter saw the dee's win a lot of contested ball, and long kicks into the forward line were brought to ground to be snapped up by crumbing forwards (mostly Maric), the other pleasing aspect was it seemed hard to get the ball out of our forward line, and there were some decent spells where it seemed the game was played entirely in our forward half. There were a few mistakes in the back half that resulted in Hawks points instead of goals but we could have easily been 5 goals up if we had clunked a few in the forward 50.

The second quarter followed a similar trend, the ball was coming out of the backline Ok, with the bckline mopping up some random kicking by the dorks. Cam Bruce kicked a goal after Green (i think) recognised his balding scone and kicked it right to him 40 out DIF. Adam Maric had a Rhys Shaw moment just before that resulted in a hawks goal, what made it worse was that he sat in the same spot for about 90 seconds after the error, hands on hips having what the rats tail next to me suggested was "a bit of a sook". We kicked a couple (couple of nice free kicks and a Maric goal of redemption. And I had my half time dagwood dog with lots of sauce and satifaction.

The third quarter wasn't good. We got bumped off it in the clearances (I reckon we won about 4 for the quarter). We stopped running, and he no spread whatsoever. Hawthorn were the opposite, sometimes there were 3 or 4 hawks by themselves on the wing, you could've put the kids from auskick in the hawks forwardline and they would've kicked some goals because the delivery was pretty to watch. The hawks also jagged some pretty flukey goals from the boundary that had rats tails heaving up and down with excitement. Davey's goal was lovely to see

The fourth was like the third, we got few soft goals, and so did they, we had a little bit of run left, but not a lot. apart from a few brief passages, it was pretty uninspiring stuff. One thing that was of note was that our handling was shite in the last half. Jamar dropped two that he should've grabbed in the forward 50. but it looked like a cake of soap at times. the hawks looked a lot surer in their handling of the ball.

So all in all it was a practice game. If the dee's from the first half turn up, we'll roll the swannies by 6-7 goals cme round 1. if its the dee's from the second half (which it shouldn't becuase a lot of what I saw came down to a lack of effort) then we may get smashed by horses mob.

I will try and write some more details about individuals.

Make that take TWO Bex ;)

I look forward to the Coaches' reviews. Yes they'll be toned down but let's wait and see what they did right and what they weren't able to accomplish for Bails.

KIM it was a 'practice' game , under live fire conditions. DB and his cohorts would have been assessing how certain drills faired etc . They'll go away from this and adjust. You practice to make good , then , you play to win. When it counts, when there's 4 points for grabs.

Those that get to the training I'd ask to note what changes occur before the Swannies.

Now how's that lay down going ? :)

Just so Monty doesn't think he was the only one there last night, I was too.

Main differences between the 2 sides was that Hawthorn cranked it up after half time and we didn't. Badly beaten to the ball all second half.

Lost count of the number of times we got clean hands to the ball in marking contests and dropped it.

Same old problem with kick ins during second half when hawthorn applied some pressure.

Watched Watts closely and he worked bloody hard. Competed well and blocked their ruckman allowing our man to get clean knock several times, particularly in the backline.

Tapscott is a footballer, no wide eyed wonderment about him.

I am prepared to adopt the catchcry " it is only a practice match' and if we turn it on against the Swans, the pre season will have been forgotten. The one thing that worries me is and it has been said by many that know " form can't be turned on and off ". Anyway onto the real stuff and Go Dees.

Why are Essendon (who have a similarly young list) finding improvers everywhere where we have Maric and Jet. Tapscott I nearly left off that list, that is unfair to him. But Strauss, Blease and Gysberts had a whole preseason to get right and instead got wrong. Sure Blease was injured but you either get over it or you don't. Have you ever seen a race horse come back from 2 years out and be a star, it doesn't happen. I'm not blaming him but if he was going to be a player he would be back by now. As you said Tapscott bounced straight in last week, why are the others not doing that. Stop making excuses for Watts. He spends too much time in his own little superstar world. If we keep letting him play half baked games without dropping him we'll be doing ourselves a disservice.

Maybe it will come together in 2012 onwards but I'm predicting a drop this year and I'm almost certain Bailey will go in similar fashion to Knights. He's changed his game plan from up the middle to round the boundary and an already confused playing group don't have a clue what the hell is going on. He's fascinated with how much weights we've done when he should be more interested in how fit we are and how much run we have in the side. Every year Jones and Moloney get more bulked and less agile, it's rediculous.

That is an idiotic post....

Firstly they are not racehorses....they are footballers, so lets compare them to that. Stars who had badly broken legs young to become stars....M. Voss. G Lyon....thats all i know off the top of my head but im sure they are more.

Gysberts Strauss and Blease have had a whole preseason and have "got wrong"? What basis is this? They are all currently fit and playing games....Gys and Strauss have shown at bit in the game i saw against Brisbane....im guessing you didnt see that, by all reports Blease looked pretty good in scorpions game.

Go put your head back in the sandy, its not even round 1 !

Now that I have a moment. A couple of players that stood out (or otherwise).

Jurrah first. Couldn't find the handle, was a target in the first half and gave some awesome what if moments. kicked a couple of goals from frees where he would've marked it anyway.

Watts. Seems to lose position, flies for the mark, mistimes i slightly, but brings the ball down into the right spot. flew for one in the first quarter, went over the pack and landed on his head. looked like he could've broke his neck. Got straight back up and laid a tackle. His second effort and awareness are great though.

Pettard I wouldn't have him on the park round 1. Got touches because his player gave him no respect, and rightly so. mouthed off too much, no second effort to speak of.

Scully - pay him $2m, covered the ground like judd not quite big enough yet to stay over the ball. but when he is, lookout.

Tapscott - impressive when he had it. kicks before he thinks a bit. which may be an issue if he plays down back

Maric - apart from the rhys shaw moment, he was ok, could've kicked 5 likes a goal. defensive pressure halted when he got tired

Green and Rivers - dependable Rivers surprised me actually, I expected Mick martyn the way he gets slagged off on here sometimes.

Jamar and Martin - Gave away 4-5 centre aquare ruck frees in the third which hurt. I don't mind the way Martin plays. Needs to watch Jamars positioning, as he sometimes runs around with no where to go.

Gysberts - was there, looks like he needed the run.

Lawrence - showed a bit in the first half. pressure was good and add the speed that it looks like we need

Davey - hopefully Lawrence in 3 years. Zippy and pinpoint with posessions. The goal on the run was nice, even if he took about 24 steps before he kicked it.

Bate - Tried, but is to slow, played on Cheney for a while (double the ginger!)was a key in the slopiness of the second half (the only half he played)

Sylvia - Is the best mid at the moment, and he is aware of it. would be great if he toned it down a little. needs to get the little things perfect first

Grimes - a very close second to best mid. he does the little things, running into position on transition and provides an option. had voice on the park. captain.

Jones - I haven't rated him in the past, and will soon be overshadowed by tapscott. hard nut that gets it, but seems to get it forward only, misses that 1% that makes a good player a great player.

Moloney - see Jones.

If I have missed anyone, sorry. Cheney was good for the Hawks, and Bruce got his usually allotment of soft touches and up and under kicks. Still very very strange to see him in the pee and the poo

MFCSS.

There are a lot of completely misguided views in this pathetic thread.

I won't waste my time going through all of it, but it's embarrassing that some supporters are so fickle.

It was worse last year, & what did people think of 2010?

Honestly! There are a few people getting about with memories like those of tadpoles...