THE TOM SCULLY TO GWS THREAD

DirtyDees DDC

Good points, but i think the whole playing group and Club must realize that Tom is the First one, the Trail blazer, to keep him we may have to over pay him now with even front ended contracts, while some others will have to take less.

But over 5-10 years this will hopefully even out. GWS are testing the water as much as anyone.

If we are to keep Tom we will have to "over pay" him somewhat because GWS are a new Bank-A Bank that doesn't exist this year.

I don't think other players will be concerned if Tom is on a good contract. We need him so we will pay (to a point obviously)

It is very hard explaining this all to kids, & why i was so proud that R Flower went right through my childhood from the age of 10-24 as a demon.

I hope Sculls does the same.

Robbie got paid a pittance and I bet he would have played for nothing if he had to. I recall a recent interview where he said he never ever considered leaving the club, he said why would you?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far we have realists, the pragmatic, the paranoid, the pesimistic, the deluded etc, but the biggest demographic on this thread are the Ostriches. They never see or hear anything coming because they got their heads buried in the sand.

Confused.

Are the ostriches the ones who fail to acknowledge the official line taken by his management, or the ones who fail to take heed of un-named sources from journos.

I have tried so hard not to post in this thread, but I have had enough.

So engage me if you want....or not?

It's a different thread.

And $300k might have done it a month ago but now I think we will be overpaying Tom by quite a bit in his next contract.

I guess the work done by Kleiman is quite fathomable to me too...

besides flash who`s on the big money. we have to pay 90 odd % of the cap. i thought i read somewhere last year , players contracts are getting front loaded to avoid problems in the future.

So, this is precisely Gubby Allan's aim: start a rumour about Tom leaving, get supporters/the club angry with him, do something stupid like Bomber Thompson did all season, TS gets angry with us and goes and takes the money.

Don't fall for it. Tom will play great footy for us this year and we should support him in those efforts. He hasn't signed with GWS and if the players, club and supporters show him why it's worth staying, he's more likely to stay with the best team there is. But if the coach, club, supporters behave like petulant losers, he's gawn.

AND...everyone's been using the word 'resign' when they mean 're-sign'...it's scared the crap out of me a couple of times in this thread...

Precisely.

GWS is hoping Gubby's Henchmen do the job for them.

I'll dispute some of your claims, quite easily.

1. GWS would be interested.

2. GWS will not be able to put a better deal on the table.

They are able to offer more MONEY, but in every other aspect they lose out to MFC.

Lifestyle, teammates, proximity to family, and childhood mates, finals prospects, home crowds, venue, liveability of the city, training facility, options outside of football.

3. For 99% of people it would not be a done deal.

You are basing his decision on what you would do.

A lot of people not in the AFL system may agree with you.

Not all. Some place quality of life a higher priority over money.

A lot of AFL players would and have disagreed with you.

Most men that make it to AFL level make it because they are motivated by other things than money.

In a professional team environment, you become very close to your teammates.

In some cases, Scully would be burning guys that have been his close mates through his formative years.

And the choice seems more obvious for us - who wouldn't want an extra $400K?

But when you already get $500K... How much money do you really want?

Does Scully seem to you the type of kid that wants a posse and a Bentley and penthouse apartments in NY?

To me he seems like a simple family-oriented kid that loves playing footy with his mates.

I doubt an extra $300K or $400K holds the same appeal for him.

He already has his dream job and will be getting paid handsomely to do it.

All he'd be doing is bringing negatives into his life in return for money that he probably doesn't even really want.

The decision is obvious.

Brad Pitt probably didn't think 'Troy' was going to be a classic film, but the price was right

Wow.......definately too much beer now C&B.

let's just see then if he takes the cash when it is inevitably offered to him. The only thing that can stop it is someone pulling a dick pratt and matching their offer illegally, and we don't have a pot to [censored] in or a window to throw it out of so thats not likely to happen

let's just see then if he takes the cash when it is inevitably offered to him. The only thing that can stop it is someone pulling a dick pratt and matching their offer illegally, and we don't have a pot to [censored] in or a window to throw it out of so thats not likely to happen

BEX and a lie down C & B....i hope you are going to enjoy the 2011 season (with Tom) i sure am, what happens in the future will happen-The sun will come up. The MFC will continue. Jim is our President. I have faith in the big bloke...he is quite a presence if you have been lucky enough to meet him.

BEX and a lie down C & B....i hope you are going to enjoy the 2011 season (with Tom) i sure am, what happens in the future will happen-The sun will come up. The MFC will continue. Jim is our President. I have faith in the big bloke...he is quite a presence if you have been lucky enough to meet him.

why is everyone always telling me to 'have a bex and a lie down'!? The lying down I have sorted out, but what is this 'bex' you speak of? It sounds fantastic and I must have it

PS I am now picturing Jim Stynes as some sort of Jedi, waving his hand at Tom Scully and saying 'you don't need to leave Melbourne'

why is everyone always telling me to 'have a bex and a lie down'!? The lying down I have sorted out, but what is this 'bex' you speak of? It sounds fantastic and I must have it

PS I am now picturing Jim Stynes as some sort of Jedi, waving his hand at Tom Scully and saying 'you don't need to leave Melbourne'

A Cup Of Tea, A Bex and A Good Lie DownFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search

A Cup Of Tea, A Bex and A Good Lie Down was a comedy revue that opened at Sydney's Phillip Street Theatre in 1965. It was the longest running show at the Theatre in 1966. The cast included John Ewart, Gloria Dawn, Ruth Cracknell and Reg Livermore. Written by John Mckellar.

The play's subject matter was Bex, a strong compound analgesic in the form of "A.P.C." or aspirin-phenacetin-caffeine tablets or powder. Bex powders were the housewife’s drug of choice in the 1950s and 1960s until they were shown to be highly addictive and responsible for causing kidney disease when taken in large doses.

The expression 'A cup of tea, a Bex etc.' seems to have gained currency through much of Australia in the post WW2 period when aspirin became readily available. It was often used in the pejorative and abbreviated form 'go and take a Bex' to indicate to an over enthusiast person that they should take a more relaxed attitude to the subject being discussed, or to soothe a frazzled housewife. As such it had currency until very recently in bar room discussions, particularly where one person became animated in expressing a point of view that was contrary to the general view point of the group.

A Cup Of Tea, A Bex and A Good Lie DownFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search

A Cup Of Tea, A Bex and A Good Lie Down was a comedy revue that opened at Sydney's Phillip Street Theatre in 1965. It was the longest running show at the Theatre in 1966. The cast included John Ewart, Gloria Dawn, Ruth Cracknell and Reg Livermore. Written by John Mckellar.

The play's subject matter was Bex, a strong compound analgesic in the form of "A.P.C." or aspirin-phenacetin-caffeine tablets or powder. Bex powders were the housewife’s drug of choice in the 1950s and 1960s until they were shown to be highly addictive and responsible for causing kidney disease when taken in large doses.

The expression 'A cup of tea, a Bex etc.' seems to have gained currency through much of Australia in the post WW2 period when aspirin became readily available. It was often used in the pejorative and abbreviated form 'go and take a Bex' to indicate to an over enthusiast person that they should take a more relaxed attitude to the subject being discussed, or to soothe a frazzled housewife. As such it had currency until very recently in bar room discussions, particularly where one person became animated in expressing a point of view that was contrary to the general view point of the group.

hahahah thanks

well I guess I am a frazzled housewife in need of soothing

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

TO ALL YOU OSTRICHES OUT THERE. ITS NOT ABOUT tom, ITS NOT ABOUT velocity sports. ITS FRIGGGGIN ABOUT MELBOURNE FC!!!!!

Ahhhh! Capitals! That makes it different. I can't believe I tried to put my side of the argument forward using logic, common sense and avoidance of name calling. If only I had have known that getting frustrated at people who have no control over the outcome of this, and posting random gibberish in capitals was the matchwinner we were looking for I would have done it 20+ pages ago.

And further more. If we are going to be held to ransom by this parasitic management group and their inarticulate juvenile lead then we deserve another 50 plus years in the wilderness. Pass the Bex please.

Edited by america de cali

I read these posts most nights with interest.

Just wondering if my understanding of the sequence of events is correct in saying that it went roughly like this :

1. Mick Malthouse somewhat interestingly ( surely not to muddy the waters for his successor? - surely not!) comes out and publicly states that any Collingwood player who does not commit to Collingwood will be directly challenged by M.Malthouse

2. Eddie Maguire ( who is not stupid ) realises that that will put all uncontracted or soon-to-be uncontracted Collingwood players right in the spotlight and that this if not quickly controlled might become a distraction and a circus

so

3. Suddenly Eddie using his media profile to the benefit of his club - diverts attention onto another club and suddely noone is thinking about those three uncontracted Collingwood players any more because Eddie's story has taken off and grown legs

Well Done Eddie !!

He would be having a chuckle as he goes to bed.

Absolutely Superb Daisy!!!! Post of the decade!!! we need a beer or 3 champ. I just laughed my absolute guts out....HaHa

TO ALL YOU OSTRICHES OUT THERE. ITS NOT ABOUT tom, ITS NOT ABOUT velocity sports. ITS FRIGGGGIN ABOUT MELBOURNE FC!!!!!

Still you fail to engage me or answer the question? These meaningless rants do nothing positive for this discussion and certainly do nothing for the Melbourne Football Club.

So who are the Ostriches?

Absolutely Superb Daisy!!!! Post of the decade!!! we need a beer or 3 champ. I just laughed my absolute guts out....HaHa

Actually the expression was from their advertisements well before 1966.

Read the Wiki extract again

It doesn't say the expression originated in 1966

Since this thread has started I have gone from rookie demon to demon and I am tipping I will be "red and blue" by the time this thread has concluded.

Since this thread has started I have gone from rookie demon to demon and I am tipping I will be "red and blue" by the time this thread has concluded.

Jimmy Bartel is on the GWS radar. I heard Neil Balme on SEN this morning and read the Hun this morning and like us they are taking a calm and pragmatic approach to the situation. Put your best case forward, and hope it is enough.

If anyone from GWS is reading this - Bartel is a gun and I think he is worth spending 99% of your cap on him - please spend every last cent you have and then some on getting him - you won't be sorry. I Promise.