Goff: $53M
Herbert: $52.5M
Lamar: $52M
Hurts: $51M

Combined playoff record:  16-17

Combined Super Bowls: 3

Combined Super Bowl wins: 0

Paying and hoping.

What it shows is how much money is in the sport as the QB is quite often the most important player. At least, that's the consensus

By comparison, running backs are a dime-a-dozen.  WR get paid diva money etc etc

But the money is obscene, all the same.  Makes the AFL salaries look like chump-change in comparison.  Also highlights how small our sports in Australia are (money-wise)

But oddly, many Aussie Rules or Rugby league fans reckon the players are overpaid.  Relatively, they are not, unless we compare those salaries to the average Australian wage.  Not too shabby for playing sport

$55Million per season is about $3Million per game (playoffs aside) ... imagine that amount being deposited into your bank account every other week, Gorg!!!

1 hour ago, Macca said:

What it shows is how much money is in the sport as the QB is quite often the most important player. At least, that's the consensus

By comparison, running backs are a dime-a-dozen.  WR get paid diva money etc etc

But the money is obscene, all the same.  Makes the AFL salaries look like chump-change in comparison.  Also highlights how small our sports in Australia are (money-wise)

But oddly, many Aussie Rules or Rugby league fans reckon the players are overpaid.  Relatively, they are not, unless we compare those salaries to the average Australian wage.  Not too shabby for playing sport

$55Million per season is about $3Million per game (playoffs aside) ... imagine that amount being deposited into your bank account every other week, Gorg!!!

I’d love that sort of money, but sports money is obscene when all they do contributes nothing to the betterment of the world like doctors/scientists etc

But, any way, what made me laugh was Tua will make more in one year than Dan Marino made in his career.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gorgoroth said:

I’d love that sort of money, but sports money is obscene when all they do contributes nothing to the betterment of the world like doctors/scientists etc

But, any way, what made me laugh was Tua will make more in one year than Dan Marino made in his career.  

Ha ha!

And even though I reckon Jordan Love 'could' be very good or even better than very good, he's getting paid elite money on spec

However, so are numerous others.  That's the sport these days.  Or sports in general

Baseball, Soccer, Ice Hockey and the NBA has any number of athletes on ridiculous money

• Like 1

On 27/07/2024 at 18:30, Macca said:

Ha ha!

And even though I reckon Jordan Love 'could' be very good or even better than very good, he's getting paid elite money on spec

However, so are numerous others.  That's the sport these days.  Or sports in general

Baseball, Soccer, Ice Hockey and the NBA has any number of athletes on ridiculous money

Exactly. If you have even a B grade quarterback with B+ ceiling who could win games with a good line and half decent running game, you sign them up, even for overs. 

• Like 1

The NFL season can't come around quickly enough!  haha

In fact, we've already had a hall-of-fame match (Texans 17  Bears 21) Many of the starters didn't feature including Caleb Williams

But the pre-season games start next Friday 9am (AEST) 

• Like 1

I’m in Europe until late Aug so I’ll see little of the pre season but I’ll follow the rams on B/R for info. 
We have copped a few injuries this training camp already which doesn’t bode well.

• 3 weeks later...

@Gorgoroth @Go the Biff @DeeSpencer @titan_uranus @Clintosaurus @JV7 @Dee Zephyr @Dr. Gonzo  @DemonDave @BDA @layzie  @Dappa Dan The old gang, the old crew!

One season ends (Demons) and then another season begins

Opening game is Friday week 10.20am Ravens @ Chiefs Friday 6th Sept

Tipping comp should be a goer again with one notable change to the format

• Pick 2 out of 3 = 1 point (A change put forward by Gorg which we'll go with unless we have any objections)
  • Pick 3 from 3 = 3 points
  • Bonus weeks (Double Points) Weeks 5, 9, 13, 17 & 18
  • Bonus Point - Applies if you are the sole (3 from 3) winner in any given week 

For those new to the thread wishing to join in on the tipping comp, all you have to do is put forward 3 Road winners each week. Pick 3 from 3 - 3 points awarded,  2 from 3 - 1 point awarded

So what are the talking points?  I'm just catching up but will post up some links to some videos & feature articles soon enough.  Or if anyone sees anything of note, post up the link

The Week 1 lines are out!  And there is a Friday night game as well as Thursday Night, that's different

And needless to say, a tough start

Printable NFL Week 1 Against the Spread Pick 'em Sheets

Edited by Macca
  • Like 3

I’m in!!

Talking points with Rams is injuries especially to our offensive line and Puka. 

Looks like we may have found another good WR in the 6th round in Jordan Whittington (spelling?) who they didn’t playin the 3rd pre season game which usually indicates he makes the 53 man roster.

Ernest Jones just got traded to Titans for a 5th round pick, last year of his contract, 3.1m saving, but seriously why? He was our C and play caller on D, if we let him walk at years end we prob get a 4th if not 3rd compensation. This is a weird one. I don’t get it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Macca said:

@Gorgoroth @Go the Biff @DeeSpencer @titan_uranus @Clintosaurus @JV7 @Dee Zephyr @Dr. Gonzo  @DemonDave @BDA @layzie  @Dappa Dan The old gang, the old crew!

One season ends (Demons) and then another season begins

Opening game is Friday week 10.20am Ravens @ Chiefs Friday 6th Sept

Tipping comp should be a goer again with one notable change to the format

• Pick 2 out of 3 = 1 point (A change put forward by Gorg which we'll go with unless we have any objections)

For those new to the thread wishing to join in on the tipping comp, all you have to do is put forward 3 Road winners each week. Pick 3 from 3 - 3 points awarded,  2 from 3 - 1 point awarded

So what are the talking points?  I'm just catching up but will post up some links to some videos & feature articles soon enough.  Or if anyone sees anything of note, post up the link

The Week 1 lines are out!  And there is a Friday night game as well as Thursday Night, that's different

And needless to say, a tough start

I'm in

You mentioned you're a cowboys fan @ElDiablo14. I'm a cowboys fan as well. You might be interested in joining the NFL tipping comp that @Macca runs

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BDA said:

I'm in

You mentioned you're a cowboys fan @ElDiablo14. I'm a cowboys fan as well. You might be interested in joining the NFL tipping comp that @Macca runs

There's actually a heap of NFL fans on the site as over the years I've seen plenty comment on NFL on the footy boards

But I don't want to be bothering people too much as most would be aware that we have a NFL thread and could come in and comment anytime (and not necessarily join in on the tipping comp)

But the beauty of the tipping comp is it's simplicity with only 3 tips needed.  It's quick all round

For me, it would only get a bit cumbersome if had about 25+ participants (and that's not likely) 

And the original concept was to just keep the thread ticking along as a lot of the sporting threads tend to go very quiet for whatever reason (cricket & soccer threads especially)

Anyway, your Cowboys should be amongst it again, Betters, but I'm just catching up with the NFL news

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Macca said:

Anyway, your Cowboys should be amongst it again, Betters, but I'm just catching up with the NFL news

I haven't been following either but i don't have much faith in McCarthy. and Dak has got to stop throwing picks in big games.

28 minutes ago, BDA said:

I haven't been following either but i don't have much faith in McCarthy. and Dak has got to stop throwing picks in big games.

McCarthy preferred Rodgers taking huge risks and it worked most of the time because Rodgers is Rodgers

But that strategy didn't often work in big games as the opposition would negate (at least sonewhat) our passing games and put it on GB's running game

And GB's running game was below par

I much prefer a coach like Belichick but Bill still needed an outstanding talent like Brady

So if McCarthy somehow uses Dak in a more conservative way, you've got a real chance.  But can McCarthy do that?

5 hours ago, Macca said:

McCarthy preferred Rodgers taking huge risks and it worked most of the time because Rodgers is Rodgers

But that strategy didn't often work in big games as the opposition would negate (at least sonewhat) our passing games and put it on GB's running game

And GB's running game was below par

I much prefer a coach like Belichick but Bill still needed an outstanding talent like Brady

So if McCarthy somehow uses Dak in a more conservative way, you've got a real chance.  But can McCarthy do that?

Bill relied on a very good defense who gave his offense the ball in very good spots. 

I remember seeing a stat one year on the amount of times the Pats got the ball back inside their own half and it was very good compared to the rest of the league.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BDA said:

Dak needs to own the big games, he can do it in the regular season but hasn't done as well in playoffs. I think to his year is huge for him and if he gets a big pay day. I personally wouldn't pay him the same as others simply cos he hasn't delivered as yet and I don't think he has much more of a ceiling.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

So just 3 tips per week?

How do we submit them?

Post them up here, E14

3 road teams though (and it's a lot harder than you could imagine)

But from this year, we are awarding 1 point if you get 2 out of 3 correct (3 points if all 3 are correct) Bonus weeks and bonus points apply as well

Scroll up to the top of this page to see (my post) on how it all works

Edited by Macca
  • Thanks 1

@Gorgoroth @Go the Biff @DeeSpencer @titan_uranus @Clintosaurus @Dee Zephyr @Dr. Gonzo  @DemonDave @BDA @layzie  @Dappa Dan @ElDiablo14

Opening game is this Friday 10.20am Ravens @ Chiefs 6th Sept

New rules for the tipping comp

• Correctly Pick 2 out of 3 = 1 point 

This week's games (needless to say, a tough start!)

image.png.0dae5f0bf58ade6196c378315ff217a9.png

Regular Season Tipping Competition

Year               Winner                           Silver                               Bronze

2023             Dr.Gonzo                         DemonDave                      layzie   

Gorgoroth

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2022              DeeSpencer                  Go the Biff                          layzie

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2021              Go the Biff                    Clintosaurus                DemonDave

JV7                                 layzie

Gorgoroth

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2020              titan_uranus                 Gorgoroth                    Go the Biff

Clintosaurus

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2019             JV7                               Go the Biff                        Gorgoroth

Macca                            Dee Zephyr

Clintosaurus

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2018              DeeSpencer            Clintosaurus                   Gorgoroth

Dappa Dan                   Dee Zephyr

Macca                        

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017              Clintosaurus                  Go the Biff               Dappa Dan

2016              Gorgoroth         cowboy_from_hell       Clintosaurus

DeeSpencer

2015              Gorgoroth                cowboy_from_hell        Macca

JV7

DeeSpencer

2014              Dappa Dan                   DeeSpencer                Gorgoroth

2013              cowboy_from_hell       pantaloons               Gorgoroth

Strafford                           Macca

Post Season Tipping Competition

Year              Winner                       Silver                  Bronze

2023            Clintosaurus                 Gorgoroth                 BDA

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2022             Go the Biff                       layzie                        JV7

Clintosaurus                                          DeeSpencer           

Dee Zephyr     

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2021            DemonDave                 Gorgoroth              Clintosaurus

Macca   

2020            Go the Biff                 Dee Zephyr                  Macca

2019             DemonDave              Go the Biff                    Macca

Dee Zephyr               Gorgoroth

JV7                  

2018            Gorgoroth                 Go the Biff                DeeSpencer

2017             Macca                        Clintosaurus              Go the Biff

JV7

Gorgoroth

2016             Gorgoroth                      JV7                         Clintosaurus

Macca  

2015             JV7                          cowboy_from_hell         Gorgoroth

Macca                                                                   DeeSpencer

2014              JV7                              pantaloons                    Gorgoroth

Go the Biff                                                                Macca

2013             titan_uranus        DemonDave           cowboy_from_hell

Macca

Overall Medal Tally

Gold        Silver     Bronze

Gorgoroth                   4              5              7  

Go the Biff                   4              5              2

Clintosaurus               4              3              4

----------------------------------------------------

JV7                                4              3            2

Macca                           4              2            6

DeeSpencer                  2              2            4

DemonDave                  2              2             1

titan_uranus                  2              0             0

cowboy_from_hell         1              3              1

Dee Zephyr                                 1              3 

Dappa Dan                    1               1              1

Strafford                        1              0              0

Dr.Gonzo                       1              0              0

pantaloons                    0              2             0

layzie                              0              1              3   

BDA                                 0              0             1

Edited by Macca