2011 NAB Cup Round Robin Monstrosity

e25

he biggest issue would be players cooling down between the 2 games and having to warm up again.

I would have thought recovering between burst would have been. But then with the extended bench they've had in recent years, maybe getting bench time isn't as important.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have thought recovering between burst would have been. But then with the extended bench they've had in recent years, maybe getting bench time isn't as important.

It would just be treated like a normal half time break...

The entire concept is rubbish and smacks of the AFL's usual decision making on the run. GWS are hardly qualified or ready to play and their appearance will give their pool more of a freak show appearance. The subtle change to the Adelaide pool from post #10 makes one think that the Saints kicked up a stink about going interstate so the whipping boys Melbourne were switched into the pool.

I'd be happy to see us send over the Casey team together with our rookie list and keep the A team for the NAB Challenge games in Kalgoorlie and Mount Isa.

It will be 40 in mid Feb and we play poorly in Adelaide.

Cannot see much to get excited about.

At the end of the day "Do WE Care"?

As mention earlier I am interested in how we play in September not mid February!

At the end of the day "Do WE Care"?

As mention earlier I am interested in how we play in September not mid February!

I am sure the club cares. Playing in Melbourne allows memberships to be sold and your supporters to attend the game. It also gives a better chance of winning and progressing in the competition which gives more press and TV exposure to the club and a chance of a higher prizemoney win. I am sure the club would love the exposure of a final and the prizemoney and sponsorship enhancement.

Funny how we seem to get sent all over Australia every year. A loss then means playing in the outback out of sight.

Remind me where collingwood is playing.

PS. It has also been suggested that we are playing the first two games in our group, meaning that we will be tired in the second against a fresh side playing on their own dung heap. I think in the last 5 years we have either played the premier of the year before on their ground or played interstate. Would have been nice to draw Tigers and Dons at Etihad for a fair chance for once.

PPS. As for September I note that most sides that have won the NAB cup have gone on to have a good year.

Where are Hawthorn playing?

The groups are three of size and there are two teams in Adelaide. It's disappointing that it has to be us, especially when you consider 45HG's analysis, but someone is going to have to play in Adelaide, just by the nature of the setup. I don't see why we are any more entitled to play in Melbourne than the 9 other teams.

I don't see why we are any more entitled to play in Melbourne than the 9 other teams.

Except that Melbourne has played its last two NAB Cup openers interstate and the year before that it was Geelong at Skilled so that it will now be four years since the club played a pre season opener in its home territory. On the basis of fairness alone, you would think Melbourne might be entitled at least as much as 9 other teams to play there and not have to go to Adelaide. Of course, we all know that "fairness" is some way down on the AFL's list of criteria when dealing with such matters.

That said, I'm happy for the team to have this challenge of beating the interstate hoodoo thrust upon it at such an early stage.

Melbourne has had the fewest matches in their home city of any team.

I don't see why we are any more entitled to play in Melbourne than the 9 other teams.

I think the last line of my post sums up why I think we should be more entitled to play in Melbourne.

As a general rule, winners are rewarded by the AFL in these matters.

Winners in terms of winning matches and finals, and winners in terms of supporter strength.

It's not entirely fair, but it is understandable.

Once we can show we are a winning team with considerable support, we will get the home matches against Collingwood & Essendon, etc.

Guest oldman emubitter

It's been a big week for conspiracy theories with some mongrel from the Maritime Workers Union going on about 9/11 being an American plot against its own citizens so FWIW, here's my conspiracy theory.

well they do have a pretty good record at knocking off their own leaders and getting away with it so i wouldn't say it was beyond the realms of possability.

and why is this bloke a mongrel for expressing a point of view? last time i checked australia was a democracy

We need the practice at AAMI. Rather do it in meaningless NAB cup game.

Is it possible the club got on the front foot and put in a request to play at AAMI (maybe knowing they will play away 1st Round) re: within the new NAB Cup format ?

Try and knock over two birds with one stone.

I am sure the club cares. Playing in Melbourne allows memberships to be sold and your supporters to attend the game. It also gives a better chance of winning and progressing in the competition which gives more press and TV exposure to the club and a chance of a higher prizemoney win. I am sure the club would love the exposure of a final and the prizemoney and sponsorship enhancement.

Funny how we seem to get sent all over Australia every year. A loss then means playing in the outback out of sight.

PS. It has also been suggested that we are playing the first two games in our group, meaning that we will be tired in the second against a fresh side playing on their own dung heap. I think in the last 5 years we have either played the premier of the year before on their ground or played interstate. Would have been nice to draw Tigers and Dons at Etihad for a fair chance for once.

PPS. As for September I note that most sides that have won the NAB cup have gone on to have a good year.

All the points you make are very valid however I have noticed the last two years we have had poor starts as in no NAB cup wins, no practise game wins and a big loss in the first game and still we have had 30 000+ members for the first time ever

and reduce $5 miilion debt to zero.

Seems to me that the football department will take a win if it comes up but are not too worried about games in mid feb.

I find it hard to get excited about any football in mid feb chances are it will be 40+ degrees in Adelaide.

And based on past experiences we cannot beat time with a stick over there.

You mention Nab cup winners have gone well in September that is simply because they are good sides

nothing to do with playing well early.

There are other views about being up to early e.g. The Dogs last year won the NAB cup and had so many injured and tired players by the time September arrived they went out fairly easily.

you will no doubt remember that Sydney did not win a NAB game for 8 years, one of those years they won the flag and the next year were runners up.

lets no forget these are practise games for the main event, if we get through to the second round well and good.

But don't read too much into them either way.

As a general rule, winners are rewarded by the AFL in these matters.

Winners in terms of winning matches and finals, and winners in terms of supporter strength.

It's not entirely fair, but it is understandable.

Once we can show we are a winning team with considerable support, we will get the home matches against Collingwood & Essendon, etc.

Spot on E25!

That is the reason that for the last 3-4 years we have had very few Friday nights and a lot of sunday afternoons.

Put the results on the board and all of a sudden the draw improves.

I hate to say this but if it was not for Collingwood supporting our right to play them an Queens birthday that would be gone as well.

Don't believe I am saying this but "Thanks Eddie"

Wow.

Now that is a concession.

Did they support our right to the QB match though?

I don't recall.

If they did, I almost feel like I should thank him also.

Don't think I could bring myself to do it though...

Wow.

I don't recall.

Yeah, he reminds us of it every year but that guilt trip works less now that the rounds are all over the place and they get us in a home game too.

Wow.

I don't recall.

Oh go on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will find it very liberating.

you can then hate them for the next twelve months without any guilt at all.

Edited by old dee

Yeah, he reminds us of it every year but that guilt trip works less now that the rounds are all over the place and they get us in a home game too.

Two wins next year and then we will see the other side of them.

Don't know about you but I cannot wait.