2010 Player Review - # 43 Jamie Bennell

Demonland

and back on topic...

Very, very handy footballer finding his feet. As a result of this, he's copped a couple of "soft" and "avoided the contest" tags, which is fair enough because yes, he's young and developing.

Bennell has shown some sublime skills, will be great to watch him come into a more rounded player over the next couple of years.

I remember another footballer who used to get called soft and was accused of avoiding contests early in his career. He just picked himself up a Bluey.

Mate, every thread I click on I see you belittling every ones comments its disgusting. You can't post on this forum without having to think your going to defend every little thing you say from someone as Hitler like as you.

But ok cut nerd, let me EXPLAIN TO YOU why I think Bennell is our smartest footballer.

1) Whenever I see a player pick up the ball and INSTANTLY get tackled I face palm myself. When I see Bennell chase the ball, he taps the ball in front of him to gain a few extra meters for pace. He has massive awareness he does this pretty much every time.

2) Ever seem to wonder why he makes such a good contest for a grab even though his size would play a major impact for any other player?

Its because he knows when to jump and curl his hands so the ball hits on the ground in front of him, crumbing the spoils every time along the wing from kick ins. He does this every time and it always works

3) When he picks up the ball, he knows where to run and how to run with it. He takes the game on and finds amazing pace. This was shown against Sydney first quarter when he applied the accelerator and passed it to Dunn I think it was who kicked a goal. He does this every time but doesn't finish all the time.

Stop acting like your apart of the Melbourne Football Department, your a moderator on a website. Get your head straight.

Will only get better. Some people on this site are quite clueless. You wonder if they watch the game - probably not, spend too much time typing.

His goal against the Dogs in the wet was one of the finest peices of play I have seen at the footy.

I hope he continues to develop.

Can go missing for long periods.

Is that on YouTube somewhere? I missed that goal.

Will only get better. Some people on this site are quite clueless. You wonder if they watch the game - probably not, spend too much time typing.

So you agree that he's the smartest player on our list?

Big call.

Easy to snipe, but have an opinion instead of taking the weak option.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

He has talent coming out his wazoo but he needs to get more of the ball. He goes missing a bit to much for my liking but hopefully that will change.

If he's a Gun then for 3/4 of most game's he plays he's shooting potato

I agree with you he goes off the boil too often at present.

Also remember in game 2 vs the Pies he put in a poorest example of "foot steps" I have seen at the Dees for a while.

Everyone talks about Petterd droping the mark in the dying seconds but forget about Bennel's effort earlier in the game.

If he keeps his head up he takes the mark or gets a free kick.

Kicks the goal and the Pies are so far down the mine they would have never have got back in the game!

Instead we lose by a point.

He will need to put in a few match winning performances before I get too excited.

Hope I get excited early next year

Edited by old dee

Benny has loads of talent and exceptional pace, but as others have said, he needs to build up his engine and improve his consistency. I think he tired a fair bit as the 2010 season progressed, but as he completes more pre-seasons and his body matures, I'm confident that he will run out games (and seasons) much better. If he can do this he will play a valuable part in our future.