Draft Picks

Dee tention

Oh thats a very interesting smokey. Can you please tell us more?

178 cm Small forward who played in the middle for a lot of this season for the Oakleigh Chargers.

Good skills, super competitive, displays heaps of courage and rarely goes to ground due to excellent balance.

He has hallmarks that I find very important in a player especially for a crumbing forward at the top level.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In order of preference:

12. Kieran Harper/Billie Smedts/Jack Darling

32. Sebastian Tape/Ben Jacobs

49. Dion Prestia

52. Myles Sewell

83. Wayde Skipper (or rookie draft if the senior list is full)

Ben Jacobs will not go past pick 15, no way in hell.

Guest hangon007

178 cm Small forward who played in the middle for a lot of this season for the Oakleigh Chargers.

Good skills, super competitive, displays heaps of courage and rarely goes to ground due to excellent balance.

He has hallmarks that I find very important in a player especially for a crumbing forward at the top level.

Ok ... thanks. Good luck as I've never seen him I cant comment, but sounds interesting.

North have announced they will use their compensation pick acquired from Hawthorn in the Hale trade (for Campbell Brown).

This pushes our 2nd pick back to number 33, and so on...

Expect more in the coming days (Brisbane & Geelong are likely to use compo picks).

The deadline to announce the use of compo picks for the 2010 Draft is Friday Nov 5th.

Not long now.

Edited by E25

Kieran Harper, has his own thread on here, Steve Johnson type, likely to go close to pick 12, but not before.

Looks like a really decent get, but I think we can get an even better player at pick 12.

YEP- Jack Darling or Thomas Lynch.

Yeah, I think so too. Same with Lynch.

It will leave us with an interesting choice between some top notch mids.

I also wouldn't discount the prospect of taking McCarthy. I think he'll turn out real good, albeit after quite a few years of development.

I'd love for Atley to slide to us, he could play Grimey's role as well as rotating through the midfield. Not likely but possible imo.

I'd be interested to hear who others think are no chance to get to us. Swallow, Bennell and Day obviously, and I'd add Gaff, Polec and Heppell as dead certs not to last to pick 12. Lynch and Gorringe are highly unlikely but everybody else is some chance. Atley is probably least likely to get to us of those remaining but I think he's about the best we could hope for.

There's a lot of uncertainty coming from GC Suns having so many picks just before it and they need everything.

In fact, I think you could say the same about both Essendon and Brisbane.

Richmond I think will go for a mid.

Best available should dictate terms in the picks ahead of us for all bar GC.

They have acquires a host of mature defenders, but they are largely bereft of a mature forward line (Nathan Ablett..?).

As a result they will obviously go for some forwards, but how many?

They will take at least one of Gorringe, Darling or Lynch, maybe even all 3.

Building a list you need to bring in a lot of good quality mids, but their 17-year-old selections last year will have gone some way to filling those spots.

And that's ignoring Essendon & Brisbane. The bombers have said they will go tall with pick 8 in spite of their desperate need for quality mids (smokescreen?) but I'm also not convinced that their tall forward stocks are actually that great once you get past the oft-injured Gumbleton.

This all means we may not get the KPF we all seem to want at pick 12. We very well could, but my thinking is that it's not likely.

So, the large pool we will be choosing from will likely include a combination of:

Tom Lynch (the one kid I'm almost certain won't be there)

Daniel Gorringe

Jack Darling

Josh Caddy

Shaun Atley

Patrick McCarthy (love this kid & think he'll be a star, but don't expect us to take him)

Brodie Smith

Billie Smedts

This draft is also said to be very even from around picks 10-30 & I kind of agree. This confuses matters.

As with last year when we picked Gysberts before most expected (but he looks like a gem), I think we're a high chance to do the same this year.

A few that I think sit just below pick 12 are:

Kieran Harper

Jed Lamb

Scott Lycett

Lucas Cook

Ben Jacobs

Luke Parker

Mitch Hallahan

Dion Prestia (his height is a deal-breaker for mine)

Matthew Watson (I think he's overrated by many)

Jayden Pitt

We seem to be thinking along similar lines E25. You omitted Gaff, Polec and Heppell from that list so I assume you think they're certain to be gone by our pick.

If by some miracle either Lynch or Gorringe slip to us we'd have to take them. I'm not squemish about grabbing a ruckman early if he's best available and I think if Gorringe lasts to us he'll be that. I doubt either will get to us but if 1 did I'd be stoked.

Of the rest I really like Atley, Caddy and Smedts. All of them could play HB/Mid which is a need, they're quick and have good skills, and all are a pretty good size. I'd expect at least 1 of these to be available as that's 11 names in total and the chances of me correctly naming the top 11 3 weeks out is pretty much zero.

The wildcard for me is Darling. Question marks over his height and off field behavior make him hard to place. I think he's 50/50 to still be there at our pick and I'm confident that if he is a rick cranium (not saying he is but there has been speculation) we'll avoid him like the plague. If we pick him I'd back our recruiters to have done their homework. In reality I'll back whoever BP picks at 12 but I hope it's one these guys.

Yeah, Darling is really hard to place.

Less than 12 months ago there was discussion as to whether GC17 would pre-select Darling & Bennell along with Swallow.

He missed most of preseason, to my knowledge, with hip issues (surgery? Can't remember).

He could easily get picked early and I can see a bullocking player of his ilk would be hard to ignore, but I think all of Polec, Heppell, Gaff, Gorringe & Lynch look like being better at this stage.

Essendon must go for a classy mid or else they have rocks in their head. Caddy would fit their needs perfectly.

The real unknown is GC17 - how many KPFs will they go for?

It's very possible, but I don't think it's likely that any other team will select him before pick 12.

It'll probably turn out that he is there & we'll still pick someone else.

Cest la vie.

• 1 year later...