Is there a ready made Hale type out there..in other comps?

beelzebub

A chance along with Murphy, a first-round selection in the 2003 draft, kicked 50 goals from 48 games in his seven seasons but, despite solid performances in the WAFL, he could never find the consistency required at the top level just been delisted from Fremantle.Comes from Gippsland-.193 cms tall-25 yrs old,92 kls- The key forward has played six seasons but is yet to reach 50 games. Played five consecutive games early in 2009 before suffering a finger injury that required surgery later in the year. Displayed fine form in the WAFL. Has undoubted talent and, at his best, is a strong mark with a huge leap.

Our FD will either flick Newton and go with one of these or keep him IMO.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/south-fremantle-contunues-its-push-for-the-final-four/story-e6frg243-1225890263605

Don't mind that suggestion at all jcb.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reality Check: We are not going to win the flag next year, so lets roll with what we got.

So why not just throw Fitzpatrick in when he is ready to go and give him a taste? Forget trying to find a "Jurrah" type prospect, that was a fluke. Even harder now that every team is looking for a ruck/forward combo, especially for cheap.

Fitzpatrick might/will get smashed all of next year, but who cares when we are not really in it to win it. The year after he will be much better for the run.

We did it with Watts. He did his apprenticeship this year and will have a big 2011 due to him getting a solid run.

shove it.. dont need an icon for that sunny jim

The FF can ruck if hes able..but doesnt need to be able to in order to be a FF. Many other teams manage but it will be interesting to see how it all evolves within teh new rotation / subs rulings.

It was our perfect fit solution... Rest Jamar up forward.. use FF to relief ruck. That utilises 2 players..

if we augment and introduce shuffling of positions and such we can utilise someone else to relieve Jamar. its not optimum..and thats why we need to keep looking

Golly Belzebub, this is tedious!

What you seem to be ignoring is an issue which stands out to all the MFC supporters I know. On your reasoning, if Jamar goes down at the 5 minute mark of game 1, who rucks? Not Sylvia, not Dunn, not Bate. There MUST be a 2nd ruckman unless in your ranks there's a fellow who can go into the ruck and do alright. When we had White and David Schwarz we were handy because S could handle the ruck work on the forward line capably. We don't have such a player now.

Both last year and this P.J has proven to be a useful knock ruckman. In the absence of a Hale-type, he gets my nod.I agree he's a poor overhead mark. But in other respects he's amazingly gifted, fast for his size and capable of remarkable ball-handling. And the other point. Jamar causes great strife when he goes into the forward line. If someone else can ruck effectively and let J go forward, it's a bonus

. . . But in other respects he's amazingly gifted, fast for his size and capable of remarkable ball-handling. And the other point. Jamar causes great strife when he goes into the forward line. If someone else can ruck effectively and let J go forward, it's a bonus

Geez Stuey, you don't by chance work in the State Government media department do you? Magnificent spin there.

So..please enlighten me..what exactly havent I deigned to answer ?

Do I not know we need more than one ruck ? golly...that would almost be part of the original question here. Some seem to think PJ is the man. Some of us dont.

Some of you seem to have missed the entire theme of the thread..

Do I not know we need more than one ruck ? golly...that would almost be part of the original question here. Some seem to think PJ is the man. Some of us dont.

If we don't find a full forward to pinch hit in the ruck, as you mentioned may not happen, then who will we play in the ruck position when Jamar needs a rest?

Maybe re-read the posts. You asked if there is a ready-made Hale-type out there in other leagues. I doubted there is, and suggested PJ. You're the one that picked up the bone and ran a mile with it.

If we don't find a full forward to pinch hit in the ruck, as you mentioned may not happen, then who will we play in the ruck position when Jamar needs a rest?

The answer is in the tenet of the opening question. That we dont really have one. hence our looking at Hale...hence our apparent looking at West...and probably half a dozen other likely types we are not up to speed with.

The change in rotation rules leaving us with 3 real changes on the bench ( The sub has to be for injury or a more affirmative..off sone your playing crap type scenario). The luxury of a 2nd pure type ruck is gone. The newish monicker "hybrid" is all the go. we all know him as a tall utility type. Theyve been around for ever but now we'll package him up with a new name and 'modernise' his image.

As we , like most wont play a 2nd ruck per se..this member of the team must have a more encompassing role. Melb like many clubs will probably go the tried and tested path of where a resting ruck would end up...i.,e the forward line. So in this light were looking at a bloke who can ruck..better than average..but not necessarily best in league. he must be able to do something else. Again..its likely to be a forward role.. All the while we return to the "Hale" mould. So this player must be able to play effectively as a tall forward.

Effectively does not necessarily mean he'll be a Coleman winner but none the less he must add to the equation. By his presence the forward line must work and score better than if he werent there.

This just does not happen with PJ...nor with Newton. They in effect seem more of a hindrance than a help.

The answer to the question..is we need to get him. We dont have a capable hybrid on board at present.

Maybe re-read the posts. You asked if there is a ready-made Hale-type out there in other leagues. I doubted there is, and suggested PJ. You're the one that picked up the bone and ran a mile with it.

Thats a very broad brush there Billy. We probably all didnt know of a Jurrah type ....til he surfaced, but he was there.

So might a fwd/ruck type....somewhere....hence the original question. There are many eyes on this forum who come from far and afield.

I struggle to see how PJ is a better forward option than Spencer or Newton and what's more I know that PJ is not going to get any better.

Thats a very broad brush there Billy. We probably all didnt know of a Jurrah type ....til he surfaced, but he was there.

So might a fwd/ruck type....somewhere....hence the original question. There are many eyes on this forum who come from far and afield.

I follow the VFL quite closely, and a number of the South East Queensland leagues. That's why I'm doubtful that the type of player we need that will have an immediate impact that we need is out there.

I follow the VFL quite closely, and a number of the South East Queensland leagues. That's why I'm doubtful that the type of player we need that will have an immediate impact that we need is out there.

Mate....this is a rather large country....there is more than Victoria !!

The answer is in the tenet of the opening question. That we dont really have one. hence our looking at Hale...hence our apparent looking at West...and probably half a dozen other likely types we are not up to speed with.

The change in rotation rules leaving us with 3 real changes on the bench ( The sub has to be for injury or a more affirmative..off sone your playing crap type scenario). The luxury of a 2nd pure type ruck is gone. The newish monicker "hybrid" is all the go. we all know him as a tall utility type. Theyve been around for ever but now we'll package him up with a new name and 'modernise' his image.

As we , like most wont play a 2nd ruck per se..this member of the team must have a more encompassing role. Melb like many clubs will probably go the tried and tested path of where a resting ruck would end up...i.,e the forward line. So in this light were looking at a bloke who can ruck..better than average..but not necessarily best in league. he must be able to do something else. Again..its likely to be a forward role.. All the while we return to the "Hale" mould. So this player must be able to play effectively as a tall forward.

Effectively does not necessarily mean he'll be a Coleman winner but none the less he must add to the equation. By his presence the forward line must work and score better than if he werent there.

This just does not happen with PJ...nor with Newton. They in effect seem more of a hindrance than a help.

The answer to the question..is we need to get him. We dont have a capable hybrid on board at present.

This is the main part of the arguement that I can not agree with. The forwardline WILL work and score better with PJ there. It doesn't mean that PJ will be the goal scorer, it means that if the ball is kicked to a contest, chances are he will be in it and hopefully get the ball to ground to let our crumbing forwards score.

This arguement will never be resolved, because I just can't understand why even the PJ-haters can't see this, just like you guys can't undersatnd why I think he is capable of doing the job required. As Daisycutter said, he';s the best of a bad bunch at present, and I can't see the present changing during the drafts (not with someone to have an impact in 2011).

Guest hangon007

Yip I thought the idea of the thread was to seek alternatives to what we already have. Not get bogged down by criticising our current list.

My only point is I'm not sure many of the alternatives do deserve a spot on our senior list.

Think we nearly all accept Jamar needs some form of assistance. Big question for me is should we not look to develop form within.

This is the main part of the arguement that I can not agree with. The forwardline WILL work and score better with PJ there. It doesn't mean that PJ will be the goal scorer, it means that if the ball is kicked to a contest, chances are he will be in it and hopefully get the ball to ground to let our crumbing forwards score.

This arguement will never be resolved, because I just can't understand why even the PJ-haters can't see this, just like you guys can't undersatnd why I think he is capable of doing the job required. As Daisycutter said, he';s the best of a bad bunch at present, and I can't see the present changing during the drafts (not with someone to have an impact in 2011).

How come this is going to start happening after 6 years of it not happening?

beating_dead_horse.gif

I take something akin to umbrage at being labeled a hater. I dont HATE PJ at all. I simply dont think hes panning out as wed all like. Now this is a view not shared by some here and so be it.

Part of being an effective FF is to draw the best defender. many other teams have already worked out our little gambit knowing PJ is weak ( relatively and especially for that position ) overhead. This being the case we dont get the desired matchups wed like.

But many of us are just going to have to disagree

and there are still other states beyond Vic and QLd...some play a fair game of footy I hear :)

I think you can stop old55....lol... must be pet food by now !! :)

How come this is going to start happening after 6 years of it not happening?

beating_dead_horse.gif

Good question, and love the graphic!

Maybe with a clear understanding of his role, and getting consistent game time, and knowing that if he doesn't step up in 2011 that he's gone, maybe, just maybe that's enough to see him do what is required.

With us missing out on Hale, I'm doubtful we will pick someone up as a mature-age rookie that hasn't got exposed form in the AFL. J-Pod did a job AT TIMES for Geelong, but we are requiring a guy to do that job, plus jump in the ruck. Answering the OP, from what I've seen, albeit from 3 or 4 secondary leagues in 2 states, I can't see a better option than PJ. Again, this is saying he is the best of a bad bunch!

With such an emphasis of drafting kids in recent times, I don't think the MFC will look for a middle-age recruit through the draft system. I'm also doubtful that come round 1, 2011, there will be anyone that will be selected for this role in front of PJ.

So, has there been any realistic estimates where we think Callum Sinclair might actually fall to in the draft? Has he nominated? Has he ever been on an AFL list to allow him to nominate directly for the PSD?

I believe he has been at Collingwood. Don't know for sure if he has nominated for the ND, but I reckon he would. By that I mean, why on earth wouldn't he ?

PSD I suppose, couldn't be ruled out if there is interest from an AFL club (including ours).