Watts with ignoring Watts?

Guest Yeats_08

It is not an application thing, he covers a lot of ground and is good defensively.

There was one moment where he had oodles of space to lead into on a forward flank... He kind of stopped, decided then ambled forward at a slow pace. By the time he turned around, doubled back and went towards the contest that resulted from the kick he was in a position where he couldn't be used by anyone. Not as a crumber, lead or second option.

Had he led aggressively then doubled back I think he might have been taken as the first option.

It's not something that happens habitually, and I can't say I've noticed it much. But it DID seem weird. If I saw it in isolation not knowing when it was, I would have said he was tired. Not really sure what to make of it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunns a disappointment showing armwaver .

Can remember times when Wayne Carey got ignored , it triggered some of the best football he played , gave him the I'll get it and do it my fricken self kinda mindset IMO .

It's possible that Jack is adhering to team rules - that his job is to offer a series of false leads to draw a defender and free up another forward. I'm just not sure if North fell for it. Jack was on his own and in good position a number of times but was ignored by team mates and opponents.

Be interesting to see if the coaching panel and the players make him a target during the pre-season training.

I, like everyone, has watched Jack with interest and hope and have read all the posts about him and enjoyed them as well (except for the posts criticising the fact that it's another Jack Watts post)and I reckon' he has had a great second half of the season.

He reminds me of the Port player Westoff at the moment (which is no great wrap) but he's gangly and unfit and probably not ready but some of the things he's done this year are fantastic, I reckon' he's going to be a gun.

I think his vision is really good, yesterday even though he didn't get it too often when he did he used it so well, and for a player in his 18th or so game to have that skill is pretty exciting especially compared to a lot of our core players (who I still like for other reasons, although Bartram tested me yesterday.)

He's actually ahead of where I expected him to be.

Next year fitter, stronger starting to demand a bit better than the third defender, two years time is the real test, can he win matches off his own boot and take the very best defenders in the league.

As for him demanding the ball more, that's great it means he's starting to feel like he can have an impact out there.

Jack Watts is all good, and how about Scully! I cant wait till next year already.

Good original post. I concur re ignoring Watts. It has been happenning alot over last few weeks and was particularly evident against the Roos. There was one example in particular that i thought was instructive. I can't recall the player but he elected to kick it to a 2 on 2 pack contest 30 metres out rather than to Watts who had run hard into space, was all by himself also about 30 metres out.

In the end Green took a great chest mark and went back and kicked it and i think there's the rub for Watts. For whatever reason he doessn't seem too keen to have shots at goal so perhaps in the split second a player has to make the call on who to kick to they go for someone like Green. I wonder also if the other players think he's sometimes not hard enough or always prepared to commit to the contest. There was a couple of instnaces in the Roos game where he really had to put the body on the line and commit to the contest and didn't, one in the last quater on our half forward flank (members side) being particularly crucial. Sure he will improve his physicality when he puts on a few kgs but still there are times where a player "has to take his turn" as they say. Look at Scully, he's even skinnier than Watts an never shirks the contest. I reckon players not going to him that often might be related to this

This aspect of his game is a bit of a worry and perhaps he will never be the warrior type. That said i have no doubt he will be an elite player and players will look for him all the time once he gains the confidence to go for goals and starts kicking some bags. His kicking skills of both side of the body (a rare skill these days) are beautifuland he seems to have the knack of kicking the ball 50 plus of one step. Great hands also. I look forward to watching for years to come

Edited by binman

Guest Yeats_08

No...not a good post- just another ( albeit subtle) anti-Watts post.

So they don't always see him ... or as a kid he's not always in the right spot... or he is acting as a decoy...?

Leave the kid alone - just let him play without his own supporters looking for a problem every time he scratches himself

We really should ban any more Watts'threads!

What are you on about hoopla?

This WAS DEFINATELY NOT an anti Watts thread!

Read the OP. Tell me what is Anti Wattts about it?

I am genuinely peeved off that we arn't going to him more often. I reckon there is a reason, but I am not sure what it is. Have you paid attention to the OP at all? I state repeatedly that I wish we went to him more. Sorry if you see it any other way. Simply put, I am frustrated that the kid works hard up and down the ground and doesnt benefit from his hard work!

Edited by Yeats_08

What are you on about hoopla?

This WAS DEFINATELY NOT an anti Watts thread!

Read the OP. Tell me what is Anti Wattts about it?

I am genuinely peeved off that we arn't going to him more often. I reckon there is a reason, but I am not sure what it is. Have you paid attention to the OP at all? I state repeatedly that I wish we went to him more. Sorry if you see it any other way. Simply put, I am frustrated that the kid works hard up and down the ground and doesnt benefit from his hard work!

Yeats_08, I guess I took it that you were implying that something about Watts attitude or persona had put him offside with his teammates (.... "there is an issue here"). Keyser Soze seems to have read it that way as well.

It seems that was not your intention at all. My apologies.

The fact that he waved his arms in frustration at times shows he is hungry for more.He took 8 marks on Sunday ... how many would he have taken if we had honoured his leads?

I think its not just Watts. Our plays dont look forward enough. Our forwards we're finding great space at times against the kangaroos while we where trying to link from half back all the way from the defensive arc to our F50. If anything we start rushing with the ball when we are at half forward but by then its too late.

I noticed Watts on his own quite a lot on the weekend, and every single time I thought to myself, "Why is Watts calling for the ball there?"

He doesn't position himself well enough, and quite often finds himself under the ball. They're not ignoring him, they're just looking for a better option.

A big part of it is in line with Bailey's mantra: we need the kids to get games into them, together.

Learning how one another plays, the spots they run to, the things they are capable of doing...

These things all contribute to the cohesion of the unit, and in turn the improved execution of the gameplan.