Lock it in - Watts or possibly McKenzie will get the Rising Star Nomination this week.

What they said on the Sunday Footy show or more specifically what Brayshaw said and the others agreed with was "there have been people baying for Jack Watts blood and waiting for him to fail and that many of those people have now gone very quiet".

Anyone can see that, yes he made some shocking decisions with disposal. But the fact remains is that he got the thing 27 times which is fantastic and his efficiency if I remember correct without checking was around 75% which is pretty good.

Some people just like to focus on the 6 or 7 errors he made because they don't look great. He still made the good decision the other 20 times he had it, this is not a bad thing for a 19 year old that has played 14 games of AFL.

The kid wants the ball and wants to win, this is evident. He is getting more physical but doesn't have the body to carry it through yet. Another 10-15 kegs and he will be dominant.

I'm with Steve, I too don't understand why Jack was getting so much hype for his game on Saturday. The guys on the Sunday Footy Show rated it as one of his best games ever? Yes he got 27 possessions but I thought it was one of his worse games.

While I think people are being a bit hysteric in labelling STMJ a "Watts hater" (he has been pretty clear that he rates Watts, but didn't rate his game on Saturday night), I think both you and he are being extreme in calling it one of his worst games.

Yes, he had his share of turnovers and skill errors. Alot of kicks went nowhere on Saturday night though; it was just that sort of game, particularly in the second half. Even Scully and Sylvia had their share of kicks that didn't go to advantage; of course they had resoundingly better games than Watts, but my point is that Watts' disposal efficiancy needs to be considered in the context of how the game was played.

What impressed me about Watts was his workrate and the sheer amount of ground he covered. He racked up much of his 27 disposals by constantly running back to help out in defense, often picking up or giving off quick handballs to relieve pressure. He also looked dangerous in the 50 arc at times, and if he'd had a bit of luck and kicked with a bit more conviction he probably would have finished with a couple of goals. It wasn't a rising star performance and it didn't hold a candle to Hurley or McKenzie's game, but he was pretty good.

What they said on the Sunday Footy show or more specifically what Brayshaw said and the others agreed with was "there have been people baying for Jack Watts blood and waiting for him to fail and that many of those people have now gone very quiet".

Anyone can see that, yes he made some shocking decisions with disposal. But the fact remains is that he got the thing 27 times which is fantastic and his efficiency if I remember correct without checking was around 75% which is pretty good.

Some people just like to focus on the 6 or 7 errors he made because they don't look great. He still made the good decision the other 20 times he had it, this is not a bad thing for a 19 year old that has played 14 games of AFL.

The kid wants the ball and wants to win, this is evident. He is getting more physical but doesn't have the body to carry it through yet. Another 10-15 kegs and he will be dominant.

Understand what you're saying, but from my (admittedly a little beer-hazy) memory of the game I thought it was more than 6-7 times that he stuffed it up. Like I said, not taking potshots at the bloke, have been and continue to be a staunch supporter of his. Just didn't think he had his best game and was surprised that others seem to have seen something different. Definitely agree that it's an enormous positive that he's getting so much of it already - at times he seems to find space like an elite midfielder which is massive for a 196cm player. He'll be a beauty, no doubt about it.

Also remember that comment from Brayshaw and certainly enjoyed that he pointed it out, but he actually said that after one of the guys - maybe Crawf or Browny? - said that they thought it was one of his best games and the others agreed with it. As I said, good on him for getting so much of the pill, but have seen him play much better games than Saturday night so found it a bit surprising.

While I think people are being a bit hysteric in labelling STMJ a "Watts hater" (he has been pretty clear that he rates Watts, but didn't rate his game on Saturday night), I think both you and he are being extreme in calling it one of his worst games.

Yes, he had his share of turnovers and skill errors. Alot of kicks went nowhere on Saturday night though; it was just that sort of game, particularly in the second half. Even Scully and Sylvia had their share of kicks that didn't go to advantage; of course they had resoundingly better games than Watts, but my point is that Watts' disposal efficiancy needs to be considered in the context of how the game was played.

What impressed me about Watts was his workrate and the sheer amount of ground he covered. He racked up much of his 27 disposals by constantly running back to help out in defense, often picking up or giving off quick handballs to relieve pressure. He also looked dangerous in the 50 arc at times, and if he'd had a bit of luck and kicked with a bit more conviction he probably would have finished with a couple of goals. It wasn't a rising star performance and it didn't hold a candle to Hurley or McKenzie's game, but he was pretty good.

Fair call, well explained rebuttal. Will have to go back and watch the game again to keep a sharper eye on his efforts, without the benefit of 8-10 beers!

No doubt his work rate is first class. Like I said, I can't wait to watch the 2012 model JW with 50+ games under his belt!

I'm with Steve, I too don't understand why Jack was getting so much hype for his game on Saturday. The guys on the Sunday Footy Show rated it as one of his best games ever? Yes he got 27 possessions but I thought it was one of his worse games. Far too many turnovers and skill errors.

That said, it's great that he's even getting 27 touches and he's really starting to look like he'll be a gem with a few more games under his belt. Really looking forward to watching the 2012 model running about, he's going to be a star.

So Jack Watts' 27 possessions, with 11 contested, at 78% efficiency with 1 of 7 goal assists on the day in a tight game interstate with a wet ball is poor & error-riddled when Addam Maric's 16 touches at 56% in an absolute flogging in perfect conditions on the 'G is a display of ferocity and precision???

That's more than a bit ridiculous.

Jack's biggest issue from Saturday night is that he needs to back himself more with the ball, particularly around goals. While he's getting that much of the ball I'd rather he learn to do that at the top level than in the slowed down version at VFL level.

I'd hate to say it, but I think Hurley deserved it this week. He played a blinder against one of the top teams in the competition.

Mackenzie and Watts were good but Hurley was better. You'd have to think that Mackenzie or Watts would be a good chance this week against the Tigers to get a nomination.

I'm with Steve, I too don't understand why Jack was getting so much hype for his game on Saturday. The guys on the Sunday Footy Show rated it as one of his best games ever? Yes he got 27 possessions but I thought it was one of his worse games. Far too many turnovers and skill errors.

That said, it's great that he's even getting 27 touches and he's really starting to look like he'll be a gem with a few more games under his belt. Really looking forward to watching the 2012 model running about, he's going to be a star.

Back to the topic, and it's unbelievable that Jordie hasn't got a nomination yet. Is having terrible luck with other players lifting right at the wrong time. Although to be honest it's probably not a bad thing that he's flying under the radar outside the club. Definitely becoming one of my favourite players.

Yet he still gave of three goals = goal assits.

He got the ball 27 times.

That is bad.

Didn't think he used it any worse than Scully who had 7 turnovers for the game.

Needs to play closer to goal. Needs just to be more selfish and kick a few himself. Sometimes he spend too much time trying to find someone instead of kicking it long to the goal square.

I'd hate to say it, but I think Hurley deserved it this week. He played a blinder against one of the top teams in the competition.

Mackenzie and Watts were good but Hurley was better. You'd have to think that Mackenzie or Watts would be a good chance this week against the Tigers to get a nomination.

Our guys are not going unnoticed...

At the bottom of the article

With just four weeks of the home and away season to go, there are still plenty of contenders who are yet to receive a nomination.

Young guns Anthony Morabito, David Astbury, Jordie Mackenzie, Jack Watts and Easton Wood have all shown plenty of promise this season and are sure to be pushing for the four remaining nominations.

Wouldn't be surprised though, going by the article, for Wood to get it, if only to stop the Bulldogs from having yet another tanty in the media.

Hurley was good, but Jordie was equal to him. Of his 26 touches, 17 were contested!!!! 17, that's Judd like.

Also needs to be highlighted that Hurley has struggled for the most part of the season. Jordie has been super consistent, and his work ethic and commitment has been first class. Hurley has been disinterested and undisciplined for large parts of this season, yes he had a good game, but at this stage of the season Rising Star noms are more about rewarding consistent performers.

Wait for Robbo to also nominate Hurley to be in the top 5 voting at the end of the year.

For what it's worth, I think it should be down to either Hannebery or Rockliff both are super in the contested ball situations and clearing it, then our 2 boys. Stratton has also been good playing on key forwards.

Wait for Robbo to also nominate Hurley to be in the top 5 voting at the end of the year.

For what it's worth, I think it should be down to either Hannebery or Rockliff both are super in the contested ball situations and clearing it, then our 2 boys. Stratton has also been good playing on key forwards.

You get the impression that a lot of scribes want to encourage someone other than picks #1 and #2. The fact that Trenners not in the side at present must be working against him. My money'd be on Hurley if he plays another standout game - just ahead of Hanneberry

I must say that I would love Jordie to get a nomination...... he's been fantastic all year

So Jack Watts' 27 possessions, with 11 contested, at 78% efficiency with 1 of 7 goal assists on the day in a tight game interstate with a wet ball is poor & error-riddled when Addam Maric's 16 touches at 56% in an absolute flogging in perfect conditions on the 'G is a display of ferocity and precision???

That's more than a bit ridiculous.

Jack's biggest issue from Saturday night is that he needs to back himself more with the ball, particularly around goals. While he's getting that much of the ball I'd rather he learn to do that at the top level than in the slowed down version at VFL level.

Who said anything about Maric?

All I'm talking about is people who rate that as one of Jack's best games.

I didn't agree with that assessment.

Who said anything about Maric?

All I'm talking about is people who rate that as one of Jack's best games.

I didn't agree with that assessment.

Lots of people last week were going on about how Maric's game was so good in our smashing of Sydney that we had to give him another game, despite the fact that we had the possible Moloney, McDonald, Trengove trifecta to come in the next week. Now that Watts has a 27 possession, high-ish efficiency, massive work-rate game, everyone's bitching about how dodgy his disposal was and how he absolutely must be dropped. Double standards, I guess.

Lots of people last week were going on about how Maric's game was so good in our smashing of Sydney that we had to give him another game, despite the fact that we had the possible Moloney, McDonald, Trengove trifecta to come in the next week. Now that Watts has a 27 possession, high-ish efficiency, massive work-rate game, everyone's bitching about how dodgy his disposal was and how he absolutely must be dropped. Double standards, I guess.

Fair enough, although I'm not sure why my post was quoted. Not too worry.

For the record, Jack would be in the first 5 names on the teamsheet every week for me. Getting games into him is just so key to our future success. You can already see the dividends it's paying, just needs to work on his decision making and turnovers. Can't wait for when he puts it all together.

Fair enough, although I'm not sure why my post was quoted. Not too worry.

For the record, Jack would be in the first 5 names on the teamsheet every week for me. Getting games into him is just so key to our future success. You can already see the dividends it's paying, just needs to work on his decision making and turnovers. Can't wait for when he puts it all together.

You were only quoted as an illustration of the double standard being applied to Maric & Watts.

The reason for it isn't a great mystery, there's a lot of people on here who believe the grass is always greener and any high draft pick playing reasonably well at Casey must be a superstar.

I'm wondering whether these panels take into account the conditions that a game is played under when making their deliberations? Hurley played in cool, calm conditions under a roof while Jordie and Jack laboured under humid then wet conditions that made ball handling and accurate disposal far more difficult.