highlights of the 2000 season

predman

2000 was a great (and tragic) year for the MFC which delivered this pearl

and my life's personal footy highlight so far. The goal Yze kicked to put us in front hit me on the chest as we Demons fan went berserk... Brad Green and Cam Bruce feature.

Great game. Love the club. What other moments stick from 2000?

Edited by predman

Farmer's 9 in a half. Also the time Farmer went to take a regulation chest mark against Freo at the dome about 35 out on a slight angle. Dropped it. Keeped the ball in front of him as he dribbled it towards the boundary. Finally picked it up about 2 metres in from the boundary 30 out. Drilled it straight through the middle.

I really enjoyed our 25 point win over North in Round 2.

Funnily enough one moment that always sticks with me occured the second time we played them at the dome (when we trailed by 40 at half time and lost by a point in the end).

Russell Robertson was chasing Martin Pike toward the boundary line but decided to stop a few metres before the line because he thought Pike would take it and run it the 5 or so metres over the line, thinking Robertson was chasing him. Pike did this, Robertson turned to the umpire and pleaded his case but nothing was paid. Odd memory I know.

"The Wizard is in towm...and he'll be here next week!" - knowing, in that last quater of the Prelim, that we were in the Granny was amazing.

That 10 point win over the Tigers when Rigoni(?) put us in front late.

Obviously I've gone for some more obscure ones, but still good memories. That QF is still my best memory of a football match.

Loved Shane Woewodin's game against the Cats that put us fourth? I think? Amazing ball magnet and I think he kicked some goals too.

Lining up for a queue ticket after the prelim win against North with other supporters.

Arriving at the 'G Monday morning at 4am to the smell of coffee, eggs and bacon to queue up for my tickets.

Getting caught on Channel 7 camera (pulled a sickie) as they filmed down the line....

Great year.

I was 13 at the Carlton final.

First time I completely lost my voice. Could not muster a sound afterwards. I was sitting behind the goals under the level 2 grandstand and could not see much but I was going absolutely bananas. Still the best game I've ever been to.

Loved Shane Woewodin's game against the Cats that put us fourth? I think? Amazing ball magnet and I think he kicked some goals too.

That's right!

Loved his celebration after one of his late goals.

That was the day the Torch came to the G

I was 13 at the Carlton final.

Snap!

Jeff Farmer kicking 7 against the Eagles at Docklands in about round 7 was great to watch. kicked one off the ground from about 35m out that he should have picked up, but put it straight through the middle.

Also Woewodin winning the brownlow by picking up 2 votes in round 22 against the Eagles in a game you probably wouldn't of expected him to pick up votes in. 20 possesions and a goal was a fair game but don't know about 2 votes?

Also Woewodin winning the brownlow by picking up 2 votes in round 22 against the Eagles in a game you probably wouldn't of expected him to pick up votes in. 20 possesions and a goal was a fair game but don't know about 2 votes?

Was going to mention that.

Polled second best out of 44 players, yet didn't get in the top 6(?) for the best and fairest vote out of 22 players. Odd, but I'll take it!

2000 was a great (and tragic) year for the MFC which delivered this pearl

and my life's personal footy highlight so far. The goal Yze kicked to put us in front hit me on the chest as we Demons fan went berserk... Brad Green and Cam Bruce feature.

Great game. Love the club. What other moments stick from 2000?

This game is the my single greatest footy memory aswell. What a game, I had these Blues supporters behind us allday giving it to us and when we came back and Brucey kicked the sealer ABSOLUTE PANDAMONIUM !!!! My brother (gOLLy) had to hold me down from abusing the Carlton people behind us.

Still to this day it's the best game I've ever been to, Then Melb V Freo 2008.

Edited by Steamin Demon

Was going to mention that.

Polled second best out of 44 players, yet didn't get in the top 6(?) for the best and fairest vote out of 22 players. Odd, but I'll take it!

He still would have won it, but the extra votes against WCE meant Scott West missed out on tieing with Woewodin.

I remember the Rigoni goal that won the game against Richmond, cos that night Melbourne had it's 'Team of The Century' dinner. For a non Melbourne supporter, that was actually a bloody good night to be at.

That game is also my single most favourite stand out memory of supporting the melbourne footy club.

I was 15, and a kid who wore my heart on my sleeve for the dees (still do!) and took everything very personally. (I cried after the one point loss to north at the dome).

I remember being in the old red seats, near where the cheer squad used to sit during the home and away games, about at the 50m arc, and being surrounded by typical obnoxious carlton supporters, carrying on about "PORTER". I remember being upset when we were down in the first half, and them not shutting up. Then greeny took a mark out just about in front of us on the boundary line (its at 1:48 of the highlights video link in the OP), and he was looking around to pass it off and this indigenous man a row or two in front of me stood up, completely silent, and simply pointed towards the goals. it was like greeny saw this guy, because he settled, went back and took his kick and slotted it! it was the turning point.

the obnoxious caaaaaarlton supporters didnt have much to say by the end of it! such a sweet sweet victory!

i also have a strong memory of after the north game, walking down the ramps in the southern stand, and the entire crowd was singing its a grand old flag all the way down. such camaraderie and love for this great great club. i truly felt a part of the melbourne family

i live overseas now, but if melbourne makes a gf while im here, guarantees i will be on the first flight back! maybe not this year, but we are coming!

great thread, thanks for providing space to share our memories!

Edited by LayDEE