Trade our picks?

stuie

Yep, draft pool is deep this year, and the quality is weighted toward key position players and ruckman. We’re tracking toward getting a pick in the 10-13 range, and there’s a strong possibility that someone of the ilk of Luke Mitchell, Scott Lycett or possibly Lucas Cook will be available. The quality of the talls on offer may actually even push very good midfielders down the draft list. This is of course pending GC’s draft strategy, which will be fascinating to watch. At what stage will they start drafting for need?

While Gold Coast will capitalise on a bumper crop, the plus of this year being a deep draft will be that there will still be quality available for other clubs. It’s unlikely, but I’d love to see us trade up in this draft, trading out of it would be a big mistake IMO.

Trading early picks for players at our stage of our development is ludicrous.

AFL rules state that we STILL have to take 3 players in the National Draft, so trading early picks only leaves us with later picks to use and given the concessions to GC17 that only means even later picks!

Trading early picks should only be used as a last resort when we are well and truly in our premiership window. ie. we just lost a Preliminary Final because we didn't have an effective stopper, crumber etc. or, we trade two early picks for one better one to guarantee securing a that will be still there is the draft.

FWIW Matt Rendall (Adelaide National Recruiting Manager) was on SEN yesterday defending his comments about how GC17 and GWS will win the next 10 flags after 2014. Apart from his astute observation that GC17 will have 17 first round picks going into their second season while most other clubs take, well, 17 years to get that many first round picks.

What pricked up my ears though was what he said about this years draft. He said that if it included the 17 year olds taken be GC17 last year it would be THE BEST DRAFT EVER. He went on to say that there are plenty of fantastic 'top shelf' tall players coming through SA, and a lot of quality midfielders from Vic, but not quite up to the Scully, Trengove standard. The quality goes pretty deep, to about selection 20!! The top three players are vertually 'locked in' (Swallow is already taken at one apparently, Day, Bennell will go two and three) leaving a host of midfielders and KPP types available to share with GC17 for the teams finishing near the bottom of the ladder.

Have a listen . http://www.sen.com.au/audioplayer/Audio/Matt-Rendell,-Adelaide-Recruiting-Manager/554

We are currently in line for pick 10 at our current ladder position. Each spot up or down the ladder we move from here on will see us receiving the pick two above or below that, to as low as pick 4.

It stands to reason that even with all the picks GC17 and GWS are getting what is left is still better than nothing and those picks are still going to be distributed to the 16 other teams.

This year finishing down the ladder still has some upside in my opinion if the draft is that strong. We might just pick up that genuine KPP forward we need to complement JW.

So again, trading those picks for 'top up' or 'experienced' players is just ludicrous.

Go Dees

Agreed.

Moorcroft, Henwood, Pickering, Adrian Campbell, Ellis...I have very few fond memories when trading. Anthony Ingerson excepted IMO, was a gem and still there contributing to the club!

Yep, draft pool is deep this year, and the quality is weighted toward key position players and ruckman. We’re tracking toward getting a pick in the 10-13 range, and there’s a strong possibility that someone of the ilk of Luke Mitchell, Scott Lycett or possibly Lucas Cook will be available. The quality of the talls on offer may actually even push very good midfielders down the draft list. This is of course pending GC’s draft strategy, which will be fascinating to watch. At what stage will they start drafting for need?

Trading up would be very handy this year. Imagine if we had 2 first round picks and were able to pick up 2 of Luke Mitchell, Lucas Cook, Jamie Solly or Jack Darling. Even one of them would suffice.

Agreed.

Moorcroft, Henwood, Pickering, Adrian Campbell, Ellis...I have very few fond memories when trading. Anthony Ingerson excepted IMO, was a gem and still there contributing to the club!

When you put it that way, yikes, we have had a few trade fails. Jeff White was a good one for us and I think we did ok with Clint Bizzell and then Moloney. Hawks are the winner for me though. Gave Trent Croad up to get Luke Hodge, then got Croad back less than two years later. Absolute fleecing. I often look back and wonder whether the Dee’s could have done something to try and get that pick from Freo ahead of Hawthorn. It was the same trade period that saw Farmer and Simmonds head to the Dockers (in separate deals).

Trading early picks for players at our stage of our development is ludicrous.

AFL rules state that we STILL have to take 3 players in the National Draft, so trading early picks only leaves us with later picks to use and given the concessions to GC17 that only means even later picks!

Trading early picks should only be used as a last resort when we are well and truly in our premiership window. ie. we just lost a Preliminary Final because we didn't have an effective stopper, crumber etc. or, we trade two early picks for one better one to guarantee securing a that will be still there is the draft.

FWIW Matt Rendall (Adelaide National Recruiting Manager) was on SEN yesterday defending his comments about how GC17 and GWS will win the next 10 flags after 2014. Apart from his astute observation that GC17 will have 17 first round picks going into their second season while most other clubs take, well, 17 years to get that many first round picks.

What pricked up my ears though was what he said about this years draft. He said that if it included the 17 year olds taken be GC17 last year it would be THE BEST DRAFT EVER. He went on to say that there are plenty of fantastic 'top shelf' tall players coming through SA, and a lot of quality midfielders from Vic, but not quite up to the Scully, Trengove standard. The quality goes pretty deep, to about selection 20!! The top three players are vertually 'locked in' (Swallow is already taken at one apparently, Day, Bennell will go two and three) leaving a host of midfielders and KPP types available to share with GC17 for the teams finishing near the bottom of the ladder.

Have a listen . http://www.sen.com.a...io/Matt-Rendell,-Adelaide-Recruiting-Manager/554

We are currently in line for pick 10 at our current ladder position. Each spot up or down the ladder we move from here on will see us receiving the pick two above or below that, to as low as pick 4.

It stands to reason that even with all the picks GC17 and GWS are getting what is left is still better than nothing and those picks are still going to be distributed to the 16 other teams.

This year finishing down the ladder still has some upside in my opinion if the draft is that strong. We might just pick up that genuine KPP forward we need to complement JW.

So again, trading those picks for 'top up' or 'experienced' players is just ludicrous.

Go Dees

G'day 'Toad33', Its good to see you here again, I hope all is well mate. Go Dees!

PS: thanks for that good listen mate.

Edited by dee-luded

I think we'll take at least 4 picks this draft, depending on our departures, & trades etc.

It appears that we'll empty out rookie spots, so their could be time to take some project players or re rookie some.

Edited by dee-luded

Sydney had players like O'Loughlin and Hall at their peaks and under Roos have topped up at that time. However, their stars are ageing or retired. The difficulty with the Swans is that be trading so much they have sacrificed developing young players with their quality picks. As a consequence now their stars are gone they will be continually spak filling their list and will at best continue as a 7 - 13 spot side because they will never develop the list to seriously challenge again...at least under the existing salary/trade/draft rules.

I would not touch Anthony with a 20 foot pole. Front runner with no commitment. And given how flaky Cloke is up forwwrd, the Pies wont let Dawes walk.

Yes they have topped up under Roos...but you have to remember that they traded for hall also.

I don't see any harm in going for a KPF (like Sydney did with Hall) to supplement Watts (Sydney had O'laughlan).

We already have bucket loads of talent...time to get some experiance. Unless you think Miller's the answer.

I'd love to get someone like Tippet

Lots of great points there fellas.

We're surely going to have to pick up a few mid-age players somewhere though yeah? Just feel like, with who is playing well and who will possibly leave the club in the next two years we might be lacking in that 24-28 age group. That being said, you guys have absolutely convinced me that trading our early picks is NOT the way to go.

Does anyone know what the deal is with the Pre-Season Draft this year? What concessions do GC17 get?

Lots of great points there fellas.

We're surely going to have to pick up a few mid-age players somewhere though yeah? Just feel like, with who is playing well and who will possibly leave the club in the next two years we might be lacking in that 24-28 age group. That being said, you guys have absolutely convinced me that trading our early picks is NOT the way to go.

Does anyone know what the deal is with the Pre-Season Draft this year? What concessions do GC17 get?

It reads bad: They could be on their way in their second year.

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=76855

G'day 'Toad33', Its good to see you here again, I hope all is well mate. Go Dees!

PS: thanks for that good listen mate.

I am here every day dee-luded.......just like Big Brother, always watching!!

I made a conscious decision not to post in pointless bashing threads driven by emotion not logic; sometimes they are few and far between.

To add to this thread I will say that MFC could even be in the business of trading player(s) for picks. Not our core youth of course but those most consider 'depth' at best. I won't name names at this time of year but back up ruckmen have always had some value at trade time.

Go Dees

I made a conscious decision not to post in pointless bashing threads driven by emotion not logic; sometimes they are few and far between.

To add to this thread I will say that MFC could even be in the business of trading player(s) for picks. Not our core youth of course but those most consider 'depth' at best. I won't name names at this time of year but back up ruckmen have always had some value at trade time.

Go Dees

I knew you would, you should try that Lavazza coffee @ the Deli, its a pretty good Beverage, over there.

Edited by dee-luded

Go Dees

Yep, I've been thinking the same, Hoping anyway. I'd like to have another pick in the 20s.

I could imagine a forward that may be young enough to have some value for someone who'd like to try. May retrieve a pick in the 18 - 28 range?

Plus that 2nd ruck spot, swap?