30 Games Plus 3 Players Away Form Being Awesome.

Guest hangon007

I was there as well in '64 - where were you sitting ?

I was in the front row of the MCC members - as a full junior member.

Got there at sparrow's fart of course - what a day.

Wasn't a paid up MFC member back then, but have been for a lot of the rest, since.

I look forward to a repeat of that event, in a couple of year's time.

This team has the nucleus to get us there !

Only difference, is I will be the "old guy" who was sitting next to me that day and [censored] his pants, when Gabalich made the run to put the Maggies in front and then Froggy Crompton came storming out of the back line to kick the winning goal - Nothing like winning a flag and this group (in spite of yesterday) is starting to know that too !

Good God I thought I was the oldest person on Demonland!

I was in the standing room, forward pocket , Ricmond end in the old Southern.

My dad and I ( 15 )got there when the gates opened and stayed all day.( you got three games in those days )

You could not get out as you would lose your spot.

We are soft now!However I would do it right now for another win.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it! I'm so old I was at the '64 GF. You'd better order 2 copies. GASP!

(By the way, we are a LONG way off being a genuinely good side. We have a number of players who arguably are not good enough to play in a good to very good side: Warnock, Bartram, Rivers, Miller, Dunn, ...)

Please bring in: Gysberts, Cheney, Junior

Yes Prof there are still a few of us going around.

I live in hope however days like last sunday make me wonder.

Carn' the Dees!

My God can you have mercy on an old guy, I have been waiting since 64. Not sure I will make it on that scale.

Can you please leave a copy of the herald sun on my grave when we finally win another flag.

lol

only a few more years...comon... you can do it !!!

only hit this land in dec 64 so didnt even get to enjoy the last one you lucky man !!!lol

some of these kids will take strides..but it takes a bit of time..and solid , uninterupted pre-seasons etc

Guest hangon007

Dont know what to say about that game except at least we didn't get blown away ... :huh:

Suppose its ultimately 1 game closer to the final goal. 27 games to go!!!!

Go Dees

Edited by hangon007

Dont know what to say about that game except at least we didn't get blown away ... :huh:

Suppose its ultimately 1 game closer to the final goal. 27 games to go!!!!

Go Dees

When I saw this thread had been rehashed I expected worse.

But it really is dead on. If we make finals next year it'll be because everyone else falls over. The NEXT year will be business time. About 30 games away, plus a Jack Viney type.

Guest hangon007

A Win is a Win ... by any measures. All be it against dubious opposition.

Great to see more game time into Jurrah ... looking forward to us getting a few more games into our 6 top 20 draft picks from the last three years ie Morton, Grimes ,Blease, Strauss, Tapscott & Gysberts

26 games to go.

Go Dees!!!

Guest DeesPower

Cant help but get the feeling we are 30 games plus 3 players away from being awesome.

Best thing about it IMHO we dont need to be drafting or trading for "champions."

Dont think we need to draft away our future to get what we need.

Said it elsewhere but feel we need

1/ Chop out Ruckman

2/ Middle of the range forward ... possibly only short-term here.

3/ Clearance type mid-fielder who can assist our present crop of young kids.

Patience is a virtue ... I've waited this long .. I'm happy to wait some more.

Go Dees!

IMO we have potentially got all three of these on our list:

A) Gawn: I think this kid could be anything in the next 2-3 years - just as we compete for the premiership

B) Tapscott: from what I've seen of this kid he has everything you need for an explosive forward/mid fielder: huge kick, hard at it in and under, good mark, relentless runner, and a competitive mark. In other words a colinsylvia type but a better kick but perhaps not as good a mark. Jack Viney apparently is similar;

C)

C)

Edited by DeesPower

IMO we have potentially got all three of these on our list:

A) Gawn: I think this kid could be anything in the next 2-3 years - just as we compete for the premiership

B) Tapscott: from what I've seen of this kid he has everything you need for an explosive forward/mid fielder: huge kick, hard at it in and under, good mark, relentless runner, and a competitive mark. In other words a colinsylvia type but a better kick but perhaps not as good a mark. Jack Viney apparently is similar;

C)

C)

i agree to some degree.

Gawn in 2-3 years will be playing consistent senior footy. and i think we can bide our time there and not waste to trade for a back up big man who can already play. in my opinion PJ is not the man for the job and is just holding a spot for gawn. Gawn could not offer anything less than what PJ produces so i think getting him game time is important when fit.

the 3 positions i think we need some greater strength in is

a big strong full forward of the ilk of a roughhead. take the number one defender and let jurrah, petterd, green, and bate go nuts. with sylvia, tapscott and trengove pushing foward, io think that is fairly potent.

a whelan type back pocket. shut down the oposition small foward. bartram is currently doin the job but i think his skills and decisions sometimes let him down.

another aaron davey/cyril rioli foward pocket. i love watching their magic. jeff farmer used to be the main reason i went to the footy when he tore up the g for us, i would love another to just work off their feet. maybe a fit aussie can fill this role but i have doubts.

we have blease waiting in the wings to add pace and accuracy in disposal to the side so i think he will fill that kind of void. gysberts i believe can fill a pendlebury type position in the team. lots to like abnout that. there is lots of talent on our list that can make us versatile and unpredictable.

the only other area we could improve on is possible a replacemetn for dunn. someone that will shut down the oppostions best player. atm we have dunn and jones playing those roles. i think we could improve here.

Guest hangon007

Well as we move closer ... another game - a somewhat frustrating loss. A game of 2 halves.

Over use of hand ball under pressure in vital areas of the ground in the first quarter cost us dearly.

The difference between a poor hand ball under pressure vs a poor kick under pressure = about 50 metres in territory.

IMHO ... we over use hand-ball to attempt to relieve pressure ... think its time to employ the Geelong "Harry Taylor Tactics"

Opposition clubs sit back off us - knowing we are more likely to hand-ball than kick. Then attack the receiver because he is only a short-distance away. Just think we need to employ kicks that little more often to the "dead zones" of the ground.

Lets look on the positive side - 25 games to go!!!

Cant wait.

Edited by hangon007

Great stories guys Sadly i have only been to the 2000 GF hope i get to see a winning one and will be happy :wub:

Horrible day that! It was like waiting for the firing squad to arrive all day. Still wonder what would've happened to the boys confidence had Neita slotted that first one.... sigh

Terry Wallace had a look at MFC's list yesterday on TAC Cup show and said that they're list is pretty good but might look at another kicker in the back half and another big KPP to complement watts jurrah bate.

Key Defenders are in place, midfield's looking promisingly strong. Said Grimes should stay and play half back cause it's that important of a role these days and he's just so good down there. Blooded Strauss early not sure what's going on there and Shifter gave a few names of good hb kickers in the u18.

Good God I thought I was the oldest person on Demonland!

I was in the standing room, forward pocket , Ricmond end in the old Southern.

My dad and I ( 15 )........................................

Well I've got you covered old dee. The fond memories of '64 still bring a tear to my eye, but nothing like the flood of emotion that will (unashamedly) accompany our next Flag ......... and I can honestly say that the 'potential' on our current list is considerably stronger than at any time since that great day in September '64.

Terry Wallace had a look at MFC's list yesterday on TAC Cup show and said that they're list is pretty good but might look at another kicker in the back half and another big KPP to complement watts jurrah bate.

Key Defenders are in place, midfield's looking promisingly strong. Said Grimes should stay and play half back cause it's that important of a role these days and he's just so good down there. Blooded Strauss early not sure what's going on there and Shifter gave a few names of good hb kickers in the u18.

That's a pretty good summation by plough. I totally agree about Grimes and see him as the future general down the half back. We have a good stock of mids and suspect unlike a lot of clubs this eos we will be looking to fill particular positions via draft or trade . Many other teams will be shopping to rebuild across many more requirements.Time will tell but a rtr Chf would be nice :)

Well I've got you covered old dee. The fond memories of '64 still bring a tear to my eye, but nothing like the flood of emotion that will (unashamedly) accompany our next Flag ......... and I can honestly say that the 'potential' on our current list is considerably stronger than at any time since that great day in September '64.

I hope you are right however over the last 46 years I have thought that a few times and come up with nothing.

Potential is one thing doing it is another!

You know what I want the most??????????? to be hated by the other 15 clubs because we are so good

I have been pitied for long enough.

Carn the Dees!

That's a pretty good summation by plough. I totally agree about Grimes and see him as the future general down the half back. We have a good stock of mids and suspect unlike a lot of clubs this eos we will be looking to fill particular positions via draft or trade . Many other teams will be shopping to rebuild across many more requirements.Time will tell but a rtr Chf would be nice :)

Yeah agree with ya Belzebub. Bailey has said as much. Melbourne has a fair stockpile of good quality mids and young backs. They can take the risk this year with their earliest pick to take the best available big bloke (preferably one with a big body). With Viney in mind as a father son next year or the year after, they could probably use both picks this year for the big man purpose and then speculate on another hb kicker with the last pick.

Also, we have Tapscott who by all accounts could very well fill that role in the very near future.

Edited by Grandson of a gun

Guest hangon007

What a win ... hopefully it goes a long way to shutting up much of the negativity (especially around here) that surrounds our club.

Hopefully this is the beginning of earning some ... RESPECT

This game further highlights that we are not as far away as many would like to think.

24 games to go ... I cant wait.

Go Dees!!!!

Guest hangon007

Another huge win in our "development" - I will take any win interstate irrespective of the conditions.

Hopefully this is just another part in our development - Now we must learn to move from being the "hunter to being the hunted".

I'm sure we are going to have our ups & downs ... but for now we must start focusing on next week & to a lesser extent all this talk we still have a "long-way" to go is rubbish.

Our time is now, time recalibrate our "goals" ... time to believe and know our future is in our own hands.

I believe, I've always believed ... Go Deeeeeeeeeeeeees!!!!!

PS 23 games to go.

Edited by hangon007

Guest hangon007

Our weakness are so glaringly obvious, as they were at the start of the thread, especially against a team who has the cattle and the ability to expose them.

Funny thing is when Jamar goes forward to expose this weeks opposition - we do nothing more than rob Peter to pay Paul.

Although I'm disappointed I'm not surprised.

21 games to go and the same three players in my opinion.

Go geetem Dees!!!

Guest hangon007

First game for a long-time I did not watch the game live. Disappointed but good the "commentators" were calling for us to recruit mid range forward ... I prefer to refer to it as our Cam Mooney & not a Leigh Brown. Interesting they also pointed out our stoppage problems.

AAMI must have a special meaning to our boys lets hope we can find a way to break the "hoodoo"

Ah well lets look on the bright side .... only 20 games to go.

Go Dees