Next two games to define season???

melbournefc18

We play Carlton and then Collingwood at the 'G', if we lose both of them our season is over and if we win both of them our season is well and truly alive.

A massive two weeks ahead for the boys lets see how they handle the pressure from two quality sides. I look forward to seeing how far this club has really come this yr.

Opinions/Views of what is ahead for us

If we win both it will be sweet. And it will show everyone that, within the next 2-3 years, we will be challenging for the premiership.

Losses won't be the end of the world, but I certainly don't want to see bad performances. 2 big stage games, last year's QBW was close to a disaster, so hopefully this year we put on a good show. So far our big games have been Hawthorn (failure), Collingwood (fantastic), Brisbane (great) and Bulldogs (good). So we're 3/4 in big games this year in terms of performing. I'm confident we can win one of the two matches, probably Carlton.

No they don't, if we lose finals are gone but this season isn't about making finals. Finals would be a bonus but this year is about getting games into our young players. If we can win 7-10 games and continue to play our younger players the season is a success and gives us the foundation to play finals in 2011.

We don't Need to prove a bloody thing. It's there staring everyone in their AFL faces. We won't make the 8, but we Will next year...2011...

I'm happy with the development of our current kids & look forward to seeing others like Cheney, Gysberts, Spencer, Bail, Strauss, & others.

We need to get games into these kids now & next year or our climb next year & after will stall.

We don't Need to prove a bloody thing. It's there staring everyone in their AFL faces. We won't make the 8, but we Will next year...2011...

I'm happy with the development of our current kids & look forward to seeing others like Cheney, Gysberts, Spencer, Bail, Strauss, & others.

We need to get games into these kids now & next year or our climb next year & after will stall.

Spencer off on a stretcher for Casey. Hope it is not serious.

Edited by Redleg

We HAVE to beat Carlton.

I haven't wanted to win a game this much since the days when we weren't barracking for Jordan McMahon.

It might not define our season, but it will make the season a whole lot better.

We HAVE to beat Carlton.

I haven't wanted to win a game this much since the days when we weren't barracking for Jordan McMahon.

Yes its Carlton's "Home" game. Godam i hope we smash them, but it will not be at all easy. They play the 'G well sadly.

But i hope Scully Trengove & Gysberts go up against the Carlton Midfield.

All supporters must show up-we gotta make carlton hurt.

We HAVE to beat Carlton.

Just as Brown became the new Black and 40 became the new 30, so has carlton become the new collingwood. Never have I disliked a team as much as I dislike Carlton. AFL sanctioned cheats, poker machines "given" to them, Judd, Mclean, Johnson, Mitch Robinson, need I go on. You know what though, whatever happens this Saturday, They know we're coming and we're much better cooks!!

Edited by Roost It

I'm not overly stressed by the next two weeks. It would be awesome to beat Carlton, but I don't see it as a problem if we don't. Neither of these games is a must win for us to make a good solid improvement on last season. We'd still be well on track for our 9 or so wins for the year.

We aren't going to make finals this year. So I hope the next two weeks give us more development of the young and no more injured rucks. Neither game is a "must win". But beating either of Carlton or Collingwood is always sweet.

I just hope to see Moloney line up on McLean, sure to be an interesting battle. But yes, these two weeks are big games with the football world to be keeping a close eye on us.

Spencer off on a stretcher for Casey. Hope it is not serious.

Hmmn, I hope all is OK???

PJ & Martin. Martin with the versatility gives us the option to play 2nd ruck, or back on Setanta, or forward to stretch there defence.

Also quick for defensive pressure, tackling, etc.

I'm not overly stressed by the next two weeks. It would be awesome to beat Carlton, but I don't see it as a problem if we don't. Neither of these games is a must win for us to make a good solid improvement on last season. We'd still be well on track for our 9 or so wins for the year.

Enough of this soft approach please, I'm sick of supporters putting off a win till next week. With that attitude wins will never come.

Enough of this soft approach please, I'm sick of supporters putting off a win till next week. With that attitude wins will never come.

I'm trying very hard to keep my expectations around what I predicted st the start of the year. I don't think it's fair to anyone to suddenly change my mind after a couple of good performances and some close losses. Before the season I said that 9 wins would be a good effort, and realistically that's about where we're headed. I will be absolutely thrilled if we can win one of the next two games, and ecstatic should we somehow get both, but I refuse to make a big deal out of two games that most of us would have written off as losses before round 1.

I think a lot of people are getting a long way in front of where we really are and the expectations of the club for this year. Suddenly with a few earlier than thought wins we ARE finals contenders..... get a grip please. This year is about getting games into legs. Its about bonding, its about getting 'some" wins and learning how to get more. It is NOT about playing finals this year. We are to be real contenders in a year or two's time.

So how exactly do the next two games DEFINE this season ? Are we off the rails or failures if we dont ? hardly !!! The next two games are simply the next two games ...and the next two etc etc.

Yes it would be lovely to beat either of or both of Carlton and Collingwood but if that doesnt happen theres no need to start the morbid death chants !!!

I'm trying very hard to keep my expectations around what I predicted st the start of the year. I don't think it's fair to anyone to suddenly change my mind after a couple of good performances and some close losses. Before the season I said that 9 wins would be a good effort, and realistically that's about where we're headed. I will be absolutely thrilled if we can win one of the next two games, and ecstatic should we somehow get both, but I refuse to make a big deal out of two games that most of us would have written off as losses before round 1.

Games against Carlton or Collingwood should never be written off. I just think we have to perform a little better when the Media spotlight is on us that's all. That said i am glad Gysberts played yesterday. But we really need to knock one or both of these teams off. The confidence gained would be Brilliant. Play in the same vein as the Bears game and i will be extremely satisfied

We shouldn't put everything off till next year though as supporters or a club. These guys can play and they know it.

Just as Brown became the new Black and 40 became the new 30, so has carlton become the new collingwood. Never have I disliked a team as much as I dislike Carlton. AFL sanctioned cheats, poker machines "given" to them, Judd, Mclean, Johnson, Mitch Robinson, need I go on. You know what though, whatever happens this Saturday, They know we're coming and we're much better cooks!!

They know we're coming too, & we're right behind you Carltoon.

Fee Fi Fo Fum, I smell blue blood of the Carlton Scum.

Games against Carlton or Collingwood should never be written off. I just think we have to perform a little better when the Media spotlight is on us that's all. That said i am glad Gysberts played yesterday. But we really need to knock one or both of these teams off. The confidence gained would be Brilliant. Play in the same vein as the Bears game and i will be extremely satisfied

We shouldn't put everything off till next year though as supporters or a club. These guys can play and they know it.

IN hindsight: We had a great fighting win up in DarWin: Then we came back to Earth in the form of Kartinia Park: Next week we start to regroup some players & energy & form against Carltoon.

Then,,,,,ON THE BIG STAGE,,, Easter Monday,,,,,,,,, A game where we MUST play to our Best,,, In front of a Big crowd,,, & on Tele-vision: What about 3D???

This is the game, if we don't win,,, we must put a show on...

Edited by dee-luded

IN hindsight: We had a great fighting win up in DarWin: Then we came back to Earth in the form of Kartinia Park: Next week we start to regroup some players & energy & form against Carltoon.

Then,,,,,ON THE BIG STAGE,,, Easter Monday,,,,,,,,, A game we're we MUST play to our Best,,, In front of a Big crowd,,, & on Tele-vision: What about 3D???

This is the game, if we don't win,,, we must put a show on...

Are we going back in time?

I like your post, bb...mostly because I would have written a pretty similar thing :P

So how exactly do the next two games DEFINE this season ? Are we off the rails or failures if we dont ? hardly !!! The next two games are simply the next two games ...and the next two etc etc.

Yes it would be lovely to beat either of or both of Carlton and Collingwood but if that doesnt happen theres no need to start the morbid death chants !!!

+1 to this bit.

Guest The Boss

Blame the coach. Dean Bailey never seems to give a [censored] after a loss.

Blame the coach. Dean Bailey never seems to give a [censored] after a loss.

So... you're judging this based on what exactly?

The fact he doesn't rant and rave in the after-match press conference?

I guess you think Mark Thompson and Ross Lyon are dud coaches too...

Both Carlton and Collingwood are better teams than us at this stage, and should be able to beat us. But the poster is right that these are important games. As a supporter, you want to see your players busting a gut to play finals – and they would be giving their all for these matches if that was the case.

Having said that, despite what a lot of posters here seem to think, 2011 is still maybe too optimistic as far as playing finals goes. Our list will still be incredibly young next year – guys like Blease and Tapscott will just be getting their first games, and there will still be very few games in Watts, Jurrah, Mckenzie, Scully, Trengove, Gysberts, Bail and even Wona.