Sam Blease

davey_magik

I was down at Casey today and saw the last 15min of Casey reserves. I was looking for Blease but couldn't spot him, so not sure if he got injured or if he was just on the bench?

Apparently he started the game but had to go off early with some kind of injury and never got back out there. Disappointing.

I was told he had shin soreness in the first quarter and never returned.

if his injury is as bad as Nathan Browns we may never see him play.....

Gee this is disappointing for Sam. If these reports of `recurrence` are true he will be in cotton wool for the year. Absolutely no need to rush him, it`s likely he would struggle to find a spot in the 22 even if fully fit, due to how well the team is travelling.

Lets hope it was just pre-cautionary, and that the FD are pulling him back at the slightest hint of an injury concern.

ive got a mate that grew up with sam and is still very close with him that told me everythings fine hes leg, it aches at times and it feels like shin splints thats all. hes getting a bit frustrated coz he wants to go 100% but the club is putting him in cotton wool and not wanting to risk him when sore

ive got a mate that grew up with sam and is still very close with him that told me everythings fine hes leg, it aches at times and it feels like shin splints thats all. hes getting a bit frustrated coz he wants to go 100% but the club is putting him in cotton wool and not wanting to risk him when sore

Yep, I've done exactly the same injury at the same age and it ached for about 6 months during and after games despite there not being anything wrong with it.

I was worried I'd have arhritis for life, but it faded over time. Don't notice it now.

Yep, I've done exactly the same injury at the same age and it ached for about 6 months during and after games despite there not being anything wrong with it.

I was worried I'd have arhritis for life, but it faded over time. Don't notice it now.

yeah i shattered my ankle on my push bike when i was 17 (8 years ago) had three operations on it it ached for a good year or so but now is fine again and ive been playing footy ever since although only local footy its a little different haha. im very confident he'll be back its a confidence thing too

I'm curious as to whether Sam had a rod inserted in his leg.

If so, there can be issues when the rod is removed.

Anyone know?

I'm curious as to whether Sam had a rod inserted in his leg.

If so, there can be issues when the rod is removed.

Anyone know?

He broke the Fibula bone, it runs down the outside of the leg, knee to ankle joint. It's a thinish bone which I doubt would be large enough for a inserted rod. But rather a "screwed on plate" I'd imagine. I think thats how they treated him.

IMO he should be fine.

This was what I alway thought would happen. One year to heal, another to get pain free... then maybe a pre-season and some of the 3rd year to find some form and confidence... then from there it's onwards an upwards. The only plus here was that the injury was done in his formative years.

He broke the Fibula bone, it runs down the outside of the leg, knee to ankle joint. It's a thinish bone which I doubt would be large enough for a inserted rod. But rather a "screwed on plate" I'd imagine. I think thats how they treated him.

IMO he should be fine.

My understanding is that he dislocated his ankle and the fibula broke as a result (as often happens).

In that case he probably had a screw inserted to hold the ankle together, which would have been removed by now.

My understanding is that he dislocated his ankle and the fibula broke as a result (as often happens).

In that case he probably had a screw inserted to hold the ankle together, which would have been removed by now.

Well that's a little more involved, so I can understand the club going slow with this as a matter of precaution.

Just read up on some of it, involving other potential issues, so a go slow is good.

Sam has had an x-ray just to be sure everything is OK - and it is.

Sam is feeling a little frustrated at the moment. He is playing in

a side with a lot of players he does not know. Sam really wants to

play in the VFL firsts ASAP.

Is his leg still sore. What was the problem on Saturday? Will he be playing this weekend?

Do you know Sam??

If I could choose just one of the untested guys to 'make it' at AFL level it'd be Blease.

I think his style of play would be a great addition to our side, so I'm hoping that he doesn't have any major problems with his recovery.

It'd be great to see Blease flying down the MCG wing on a regular basis.

If I could choose just one of the untested guys to 'make it' at AFL level it'd be Blease.

I think his style of play would be a great addition to our side, so I'm hoping that he doesn't have any major problems with his recovery.

I was just thinking this very thing the other day. Since he was drafted I had serious concerns about Blease. Even before his injury. I thought he was just too little. I also thought that simply being quick isn't enough. In other words, he'd have to be Aaron Davey to succeed as a little zippy player... and I think it's safe to say there's only one Aaron Davey.

But the footy the side has been playing? With such a focus on a running/skill/chase-down-tackle game? I think Blease is now the perfect player to go looking for.

Guest DeesPower

This was what I alway thought would happen. One year to heal, another to get pain free... then maybe a pre-season and some of the 3rd year to find some form and confidence... then from there it's onwards an upwards. The only plus here was that the injury was done in his formative years.

Currently if you see him walking around after games after he has cooled down he certainly has a pronounced limp so your post certainly makes sense.

I hope he fully recovers because apparently when fully fit he has sublime skills and is incredibly quick, both of which we can't havee

enough of given our game plan

Having watched him at TAC U/18's, his style reminded me much of a young skinny David King. Plenty of pace. Would compliment the side very well and would trouble most opponents.

At the time of the draft (2008) I was hoping we'd get Zaharakis at either pick 17 / pick 19. Fair to say I was delighted that we got Blease at pick 17. (Thinking he would be definite top 15 pick).