Unofficial Umpire Hating Thread

Eth

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's a strange concept, but umpires are actually human and do make mistakes, much like our players, who missed several chances in front of goal. The difference is, the mistakes umpires make, quite often cost them thier jobs and future opportunities, whereas players get another game & another opportunity. Be fair folks, umpires are held to far higher standards than our players and the penalties for thier mistakes are far higher.

I know it's a strange concept, but umpires are actually human and do make mistakes, much like our players, who missed several chances in front of goal. The difference is, the mistakes umpires make, quite often cost them thier jobs and future opportunities, whereas players get another game & another opportunity. Be fair folks, umpires are held to far higher standards than our players and the penalties for thier mistakes are far higher.

For example, wearing the exact same colours as us creating confusion for our players and costing us a turnover when we were 4 points down with a minute left to go.

The umpires are not being being blamed for this one. This is an AFL stuff up. The AFL told them what to wear. They had days to realize the stupidity of that color scheme.

My take on the contentious umpiring decisions (from watching on the TV):

-'Mark' to Trengove - correct decision (fumbled over the line)

-'Goal' to Dunn - looked touched as you can briefly see 2 of Lake's fingers bend backwards

-'Out on the full' against Sylvia and Davey(?) - both incorrect.

-'Goal' to Green - vision was inconclusive, hence happy to say that no goal should be awarded unless the umpires are definitely sure it is a goal.

-'Holding the ball' against Scully(?) - bloody disgraceful. This rule almost ruins the sport for me.

[/quote)

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Much of your attempt to try to appear to be a fair-minded supporter is flawed.

If Trengove fumbled the ball, it was a microscopic fumble which was difficult to detect while re-watching 5 times in slo-mo.

If Lake touched the ball from Dunn, it was with his shoulder, and the goal ump was in the best position to see, and he said it wasn't touched.

Green's goal....who says the benefit of the doubt dictates that the ump gives a point? The goal ump was in the best position, and he thought it wasn't touched. The field umpire(40 m. away) was the only person in doubt. The boundary umps concentrate on watching to see if the ball's over the line. They were flummoxed when suddenly asked for an opinion on whether Green's goal came off the boot. Their opinions meant nothing. Gonis should have stood his ground.

Also, what about Jones' mark in scoring range in Q1. The ump said it wasn't 15m, but it went 20. After that he allowed several 12 m. passes as marks later in the game.

Those umps should be checked to see if they laid bets on the game.

Edited by JUMPING JACK CLENNETT

Umpires are hopeless in general as are the rules watchin tigers vs crows ATM

5 incorrect decisions already!

All Jeff G and Andrew D's fault IMO

So the wooden spoon's going to be decided by dodgy umpiring decisions as well?

The AFL should be fined for this stupid mistake of the umpire colors. They should pay Melbourne for their mistake.

[quote name='JUMPING JACK CLENNETT' date='09 May 2010 - 11:32 AM' timest

"Green's goal....who says the benefit of the doubt dictates that the ump gives a point? "

I have just been informed by a mate that the laws actually state that in the event of doubt, the lower score stands. I didn't know that. BUT, I don't think the goal umpire was in doubt. It was only when the distant field umpire failed to give the all clear that the doubt arose.

The umpires seemed to try to use any means they could to negate Demon goals.(another eg. was Trengove's goal when the Ump refused to pay the advantage, so the first-gamer Hughes was forced to take the high-pressure set shot.)

If that goal umpire had stuck to his guns, the game was ours. By changing the decision the Filthy Dogs got a sniff.

It doesn't matter if the goal umpire sticks to his guns or not, if there is a dispute the lesser score stands. Which leaves the game at the whim of any little power mad dufus (oh, pretty much what we had to put up with then) to 'spoil' a goal whether he has grounds or not.

I have suggested to the AFL that if the goal umpire's decision isn't paramount in his own area of expertise, then they should be dispensed with and the money saved used to offset rising admission costs. Never going to happen, but a nice thought anyway. Too many umpires anyway, none of them are worth diddlysquat so what is the point?

Is it worth bringing back this thread? I heard one supporter constantly shouting '12 to 2' (the free kicks) and 'So you're not done from last week?!'

As they're saying this round, umpiring is for everyone. Obviously that's not the case.

Just when i thought it couldnt get any worse than last week, they out did themselves this week. Absolutely atrocious. I had no idea what half of West Coasts free were for and we didnt even get the blatant frees that you would normally get on a bad day.

Well, at least it didn't cost us the game today. But it was still Melbourne vs West Coast + Umpires.

Just when i thought it couldnt get any worse than last week, they out did themselves this week. Absolutely atrocious. I had no idea what half of West Coasts free were for and we didnt even get the blatant frees that you would normally get on a bad day.

+1

I was stumped today.... Nearly as bad as last weeks performance.

Is it worth bringing back this thread? I heard one supporter constantly shouting '12 to 2' (the free kicks) and 'So you're not done from last week?!'

It was 12 to 2 at one stage, and to that point it was totally biased in that decisions were being paid one way but not the other. No consistency = bias.

Criticise the umpires one week to the point that it hurts Gieschen & his team, seems they'll crucify you the next.

One fair supporter next to me said "this is another umpire's game". She wasn't far wrong.

There's no point saying anything because the AFL thinks the sun shines out of their umpire's butts & they can do no wrong. Seeing Jamie Bennell grabbed by the arm and slung into the goal post, and then the West Coast player was given the ball - you've got to wonder if the umpires are one-eyed, blind, or under instruction from the AFL to prevent us from winning in the hope we will fold & then pave the way for Herr Dimitriou's new babies - GWC & WS.

So Aaron's nose was broken today was it? Last time we met WC they broke Colin Sylvia's jaw without report. Doesn't that just tell you something about the umpiring and the AFL in general? People will be thugs when they think they can get away with it - and WC KNEW they could get away with just about anything today.

There's no point saying anything because the AFL thinks the sun shines out of their umpire's butts & they can do no wrong. Seeing Jamie Bennell grabbed by the arm and slung into the goal post, and then the West Coast player was given the ball - you've got to wonder if the umpires are one-eyed, blind, or under instruction from the AFL to prevent us from winning in the hope we will fold & then pave the way for Herr Dimitriou's new babies - GWC & WS.

So Aaron's nose was broken today was it? Last time we met WC they broke Colin Sylvia's jaw without report. Doesn't that just tell you something about the umpiring and the AFL in general? People will be thugs when they think they can get away with it - and WC KNEW they could get away with just about anything today.

That sounds suspicious. I'm going to go onto the AFL Game Analyzer and see all of the free kicks right now. I'll count the ones that shouldn't have been paid for both teams.

That sounds suspicious. I'm going to go onto the AFL Game Analyzer and see all of the free kicks right now. I'll count the ones that shouldn't have been paid for both teams.

Never mind, they haven't put it up yet.

We could write to the AFL and pretend to be people who don't follow Melbourne

Who do we play next? We could write and pretend to be Port Marmalaide supporters, and make all sorts of stinging criticisms to Jeff Gieschen about "Team Umpires". Then they'd take revenge on them and we'd have "Team Umpires" helping us.

Sounds like a plan :)

Who do we play next? We could write and pretend to be Port Marmalaide supporters, and make all sorts of stinging criticisms to Jeff Gieschen about "Team Umpires". Then they'd take revenge on them and we'd have "Team Umpires" helping us.

Sounds like a plan :)

Either way, something has to be done about it

Our game is evolving and Gieschen's 'Big Idea' is to develop a brand new type of game where there's not two opposing teams but three out there. Of course, not everyone would agree with such a new type of game so it has had to be introduced gradually and by stealth.

'Team Umpires' will eventually always be the only important team on the ground, because they administer the rules, decide if there's to be football justice on any given day, what it will look like, and hold fate itself in their hands. Their importance is underlined by the fact they are untouchable and only accountable to themselves. The game will be all about them, how great they are and the skills and clever interpretations they can weave each week. Greek gods would be mightily envious.

Ultimately you'll go to the footy and the new game will be so ingrained that you'll only notice what one team (Team Umpires) is actually doing out on the ground. The other two teams will merely be background players like extras, while you get your enjoyment from observing the flair and innovative rule interpretations by some of the Greatest and truly Most Breathtakingly Adept executioners of the Umpire's Trade.

(It wouldn't be surprising if all the Team Umpire members are avatars, does anybody actually know anybody who admits to being on their Team?!)

In fact, observing some fans today and their level of fascination with Team Umpires and the detailed analysing of the Team's performance (even to yelling out constant encouragement and advice to said Team), the day is not far away for many it seems.