sponsor

lboc

long time reader first time poster. first ill introduce myself, i have been a supporter since forever was a member last in 2003 when i lived in australia last. my wife is irish and supports the dees cos of jimmy, we are members this year and she saw her first win last weekend. we are also expecting twins on grand final day and so have 2 demons supporters on the way!

this post stems from a converstaion i had with my wife about sponsers of the club (a question i couldnt answer)she wanted to know why the city of melbourne does not support the melbourne demons, and have that melbourne logo that greets you at the airport on the back of the jumper. she feels as though as an immigrant she would be able to identify with the city and the club if this was the case, and therefore make her choice of club easy for the local sports team. i now wonder the same thing, if this was to be the sponsor we could promote the state when playing outside of vic there could be an add on tv asking you to watch your team in melbourne getting beat by melbourne!

i guess there would be crossed lines with the state's support of the AFL.

what do people think? would it work? could this be possible?

• Like 1

The Melbourne Football Club grew from the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground) & not from the city itself.

So i think that is the main answer to the question, maybe things can change in the future-I would love to see the Melbourne Town Hall Decked out in Red & Blue, with a Big Demon sitting on the Roof.

Then i could really say "welcome to my City" B)

What's in it for City of Melbourne??

I would assume the same thing that is in it for the Tasmanian Government. Advertising in every state when that team plays. I've also wondered why the Melbourne Football Club doesn't capitalise on its' name as much as I think it could. But I guess the City of Melbourne isn't interested, and since its' such an obvious connection, the fact that it hasn't been done already suggests that neither party wants it done.

Sponsors are in it for a return on their investment.

City of Melbourne doesn't have a product to sell by promoting their brand.

Umm...tourism? Tasmania sponsors Hawthorn.

City of Melbourne is a municipal council which oversees a clutch of suburbs around the CBD. It doesn't have a direct interest in tourism or revenue coming into the State. This is in contrast to the Tasmanian State Government.

That said, MFC has certain involvements with City of Melbourne just as it does with City of Casey. These are not considered sponsorships as such however as money is not changing hands.

Just to return briefly to the oft-mentioned idea of the airport billboard. Advertising space of this nature has no link to City of Melbourne. It lies outside of their municipality and besides billboard space is owned by outdoor advertising firms, not by city councils.

Sponsors are in it for a return on their investment.

City of Melbourne doesn't have a product to sell by promoting their brand.

2 new Interstate Teams starting next year means a lot more potential visitors to the city each weekend for 6 months of the year.

Maybe it is a good time to word up old Robert Doyle-he enjoys the Free lunch!

dont want to pick on the demons but wouldnt it make more sense to sponser the storm, travelling interstate more often and also a team near the top? just a thought

We shall be going Toe to Toe with the Storm soon enough B)

Edited by why you little

So what's this got to do with sponsoring MFC??

Like any sponsorship-AWARENESS That's what the dollars pay for.

Imagine all the Melbourne Tourist ads-at the end "and Proud Sponsors of the Melbourne Football Club" it slowly sinks in over time, particularly if we are on the rise.

That's an incredibly simplistic view of sponsorship.

Awareness is part of what an emerging brand whose product lacks awareness is paying for. Kaspersky is a good example of this. It's a new brand in this market and the public isn't familiar with the name.

However, when a brand is already widely known, awareness will not be their objective. Tasmania (Haw) & Ford (Geel) are not trying to raise their awareness, their awareness figures are already maximised. They are paying to attract actual business. Tasmania wants to attract visitors, which it achieves mostly via paying Hawthorn to host games in the state. Ford wants to sell cars.

City of Melbourne does not have a product to sell that can be leveraged through MFC. They can't pay us to play games in Melbourne. Melbourne City Council does not advertise to bring tourism to Melbourne, that is the Victorian State Government's domain. I realise that MFC supporters would get a warm and fuzzy from seeing our emblem somehow associated with City of Melbourne, but it achieves no objective whatsoever and follows no commercial logic from the sponsor's point of view.

That's an incredibly simplistic view of sponsorship.

Awareness is part of what an emerging brand whose product lacks awareness is paying for. Kaspersky is a good example of this. It's a new brand in this market and the public isn't familiar with the name.

However, when a brand is already widely known, awareness will not be their objective. Tasmania (Haw) & Ford (Geel) are not trying to raise their awareness, their awareness figures are already maximised. They are paying to attract actual business. Tasmania wants to attract visitors, which it achieves mostly via paying Hawthorn to host games in the state. Ford wants to sell cars.

City of Melbourne does not have a product to sell that can be leveraged through MFC. They can't pay us to play games in Melbourne. Melbourne City Council does not advertise to bring tourism to Melbourne, that is the Victorian State Government's domain. I realise that MFC supporters would get a warm and fuzzy from seeing our emblem somehow associated with City of Melbourne, but it achieves no objective whatsoever and follows no commercial logic from the sponsor's point of view.

How much do interstate visitors know about the Melbourne CBD? How much do we locals really know what goes on in the city?

My folks lived in the CB 10 years ago, i learnt heaps about the city i had never heard of just by walking around.

There are loads of things that could be advertised by the Melbourne City Council if they felt it worthwhile.

i have no idea what there agenda is, but it would be worth checking it out IMO.

Great one financially stricken municipality sponsor another financial stricken organisation.

If I was a ratepayer in the City of Melb I would be seriously questioning sporting sponsorship of entity like MFC which has no profile on TV, attendances etc and no success.

If they wanted to push Melbourne the city why wouldn't they sponsor one of the flagship clubs in this city thats well known outside Victoria.

long time reader first time poster. first ill introduce myself, i have been a supporter since forever was a member last in 2003 when i lived in australia last. my wife is irish and supports the dees cos of jimmy, we are members this year and she saw her first win last weekend. we are also expecting twins on grand final day and so have 2 demons supporters on the way!

this post stems from a converstaion i had with my wife about sponsers of the club (a question i couldnt answer)she wanted to know why the city of melbourne does not support the melbourne demons, and have that melbourne logo that greets you at the airport on the back of the jumper. she feels as though as an immigrant she would be able to identify with the city and the club if this was the case, and therefore make her choice of club easy for the local sports team. i now wonder the same thing, if this was to be the sponsor we could promote the state when playing outside of vic there could be an add on tv asking you to watch your team in melbourne getting beat by melbourne!

i guess there would be crossed lines with the state's support of the AFL.

what do people think? would it work? could this be possible?

This idea was floated at "The Demon Summit" a couple of years ago and obviously "didn't grow any legs".It has some merit IMO.It would be good to see (and it doesn't have to be the Melbourne City Council) MFC convincing as many businesses as possible that have Melbourne in their name to adopt the red and blue colours.

Then the identity Melbourne would be etched in the public's minds with an association to the Red and Blue colours.

This idea was floated at "The Demon Summit" a couple of years ago and obviously "didn't grow any legs".It has some merit IMO.It would be good to see (and it doesn't have to be the Melbourne City Council) MFC convincing as many businesses as possible that have Melbourne in their name to adopt the red and blue colours.

Then the identity Melbourne would be etched in the public's minds with an association to the Red and Blue colours.

the reason the discussion happened with my wife was because in europe the city is linked with the football team in as many ways as possible, from tourism to flights for games, hotels etc on the tv and press and the city and the team go hand in hand. she said that if she arrived here she would have no idea that there was a team named Melbourne in Melbourne (for the footy), she put it to me that the logo from the airport billboard that is also seen at the grand prix, tennis and flags around the city couldnt be on the back of our jumper.i thought it was a reasonable question and wether it was the city of melbourne or tourism victoria it could create a great link for people to not only come to melbourne but new people to the city to follow the team of the city they live in. Now i also understand that this city is a unique sporting capital in that it has 10 teams for the footy and multiple teams for rugby and soccer and a small population and the city and the state want fingers in as many pies as possible so they prob wouldnt want to stick to one code and club.

i just thought it would be great to see that logo on the back of our jumper and ads on interstate tv goating footy fans to watch their team get beat by melbourne in the city of melbourne.

Great one financially stricken municipality sponsor another financial stricken organisation.

If I was a ratepayer in the City of Melb I would be seriously questioning sporting sponsorship of entity like MFC which has no profile on TV, attendances etc and no success.

If they wanted to push Melbourne the city why wouldn't they sponsor one of the flagship clubs in this city thats well known outside Victoria.

Cheer up RR The best way for our club to gain on Profile TV, attendances and success is to go out their and promote awareness.

I would love to see an MFC presence at the Airport as i walked off a plane. "Welcome to Melbourne" next to a shot of Liam Jurrah taking a one hander.

At the moment we don't represent our city even in an emotional way, but i believe we should-as Norm Smith said "I am Melbourne"

What's in it for City of Melbourne??

I think this is a great idea. There are a number of precedents forit too. It is not new for Melbourne to be promoted at sporting events: think Grand Prix, Tennis Open, Melbournr Cup. Admittedly these are mostly international events held in Melbourne and therefore build the Melbourne brand internationally. But there is also a domestic brand building exercise especially targetted at migrants and interstate particularly positioning our city against Sydney.

Melbourne does havesubstantial dollars behind it as a brand, and I think an agreement with the demons would make sense for it. Afterall, it certainly seems to work Tasmania and the Hawks

Again confused.

When you see the MELBOURNE icon stamped across the sporting events you mention, it is NOT a sponsorship from the City of Melbourne. It is Victorian State Government.

I'm not sure how to be clearer on this. Municipal councils do not have the budget for sponsorships. They are not concerned with tourism. They are not relevant in conversations regarding spending money on sport.

The Melbourne City Council has absolutely nothing to do with Tullamarine Airport.

Hawthorn are not sponsored by a city council, they are sponsored by the Tasmanian State Government who are looking to attract people living in Melbourne (Hawthorn supporters and supporters of their opposition in the Tasmanian games they are paying to host) to come to Tasmania.

There are no commonalities between Tasmania sponsoring Hawthorn and the idea of Melbourne City Council sponsoring MFC.

Again confused.

When you see the MELBOURNE icon stamped across the sporting events you mention, it is NOT a sponsorship from the City of Melbourne. It is Victorian State Government.

I'm not sure how to be clearer on this. Municipal councils do not have the budget for sponsorships. They are not concerned with tourism. They are not relevant in conversations regarding spending money on sport.

The Melbourne City Council has absolutely nothing to do with Tullamarine Airport.

Hawthorn are not sponsored by a city council, they are sponsored by the Tasmanian State Government who are looking to attract people living in Melbourne (Hawthorn supporters and supporters of their opposition in the Tasmanian games they are paying to host) to come to Tasmania.

There are no commonalities between Tasmania sponsoring Hawthorn and the idea of Melbourne City Council sponsoring MFC.

ok i feel your missing the point a bit. it doesnt matter who promotes using the melbourne logo or not, its about having the logo on the jumper to create a link between city and team, and creating that link for people not from melbourne or just immigrated here to create that link so that they think of the demons before collingwood. using the logo as a link for interstate footy fans during the season to not only get them to the city but having thier bums on MCG seats when they paly us. is it that impossible to have the the link with city of melbourne or tourism victoria to promote state and team?