Umpires subconsciously favouring?

Summer Blease

Are the men in white impressionable?

Can they be, for lack of a better word, persuaded into decisions from an abruptly bias and vocal home crowd?

Can their better judgement become clouded due to extraordinary levels of ‘crowd pressure’ which might or might not subconsciously threaten them into advancing the home team?

Obviously they are meant to be impartial- But I often wonder. It just seems all too often whoever calls ‘BALL’ the loudest usually gets the rough of the green. Do you think umpires are caving into peer pressure without even realising it?

This has been eating away at me for years like Christine Nixon at KFC on bushfire night.. please discuss..

[quote name='nostradeemus

I don't think there's any doubt about the fact that the crowds influence the Umps. It has been going on for years!

In "The Red FOX", Norm Smith is quoted as having ordered his troups to play around the outer wing at Vic Park, since he was so sure the umps were unduly affected by the howling mobs of Magpie supporters on their Members' wing.

It's very obvious at AAMI stadium, and Kardinia Park, where 25 to 40 thousand fans all barrack for the one team.

It's less of a factor at the MCG, though I think we Demon fans did pretty well last Sunday!

Guest Balls_Grinter_14

[quote name='nostradeemus

I don't think there's any doubt about the fact that the crowds influence the Umps. It has been going on for years!

In "The Red FOX", Norm Smith is quoted as having ordered his troups to play around the outer wing at Vic Park, since he was so sure the umps were unduly affected by the howling mobs of Magpie supporters on their Members' wing.

It's very obvious at AAMI stadium, and Kardinia Park, where 25 to 40 thousand fans all barrack for the one team.

It's less of a factor at the MCG, though I think we Demon fans did pretty well last Sunday!

I reckon we got one from Umpire McBurnie (not sure how to spell), in front of the MCC members on Sunday for hands in the back. Can't remember who got it, but it was a very late call and came after the abuse from teh Pavillion was howled

Edited by Balls_Grinter_14

Yes.

See: http://wlv.openrepository.com/wlv/handle/2436/8014

also: http://www.wip-online.org/downloads/Dohmen_Thomas_2005_a.pdf

There are lots of studies like this.

Basically, the noise of the home crowd seems to be the thing that influences the umps' decisions.

hmmmm... why is nothing done about this if it has been proven? Doesn't this prove the teams with less supporters are discriminated against (putting it bluntly).

We demand brilliance from our players. Why should we demand anything less of our umpires? This to me sounds like a skill error which can be re educated.

(edit. grammar issues)

Edited by nostradeemus

I have no doubt that we got a good deal from the umps yesterday. I also have no doubt it was because of the crowd noise.

We are normally heavily outnumbered by opposition supporters, and so correspondingly get a bad deal in most of those games.

Guest Balls_Grinter_14

Does anyone care to explain the 50 metre penalty against Jamar early in the game? Appeared as though the guy took the mark and Jamr was on the spot, ump then twellls him to move back, he begins moving back off the mark and tehn the ump pays a fifty????At least that is how it looked from where i was sitting

I have no doubt that we got a good deal from the umps yesterday. I also have no doubt it was because of the crowd noise.

We are normally heavily outnumbered by opposition supporters, and so correspondingly get a bad deal in most of those games.

ding ding ding, thank you. I had the same feeling. For once, I feel we wern't totally screwed with some calls!

We need some more members man!! Or the umpires need to become accountable for ability to be corruptable. Something has to be done! I am am man of action, but i'm lazy.. someone do something. Can anyone send out an email to the club, or some kind of psychologist or something? Can someone start a petition and email it to me to sign?

Are the men in white impressionable?

Can they be, for lack of a better word, persuaded into decisions from an abruptly bias and vocal home crowd?

Can their better judgement become clouded due to extraordinary levels of 'crowd pressure' which might or might not subconsciously threaten them into advancing the home team?

Obviously they are meant to be impartial- But I often wonder. It just seems all too often whoever calls 'BALL' the loudest usually gets the rough of the green. Do you think umpires are caving into peer pressure without even realising it?

This has been eating away at me for years like Christine Nixon at KFC on bushfire night.. please discuss..

Yes, huge effect. I once thought it was subconscious, & maybe years gone by, it was, maybe.

But now, it seems to me that its designed to keep the local supporters, or if both local, the biggest group of supporters, to appease them & make them feel good.

Assuming that this is better marketing than just simply doing the right thing.

Does anyone care to explain the 50 metre penalty against Jamar early in the game? Appeared as though the guy took the mark and Jamr was on the spot, ump then twellls him to move back, he begins moving back off the mark and tehn the ump pays a fifty????At least that is how it looked from where i was sitting

It was fair. Jamar moved onto the mark by moving between the Crows player & the Melb player standing the mark. Instead of immediately jumping back onto the mark, he stayed a couple of yards too close and in my opinion, was flirting with danger by not immediately getting back. It was stuipid and he presumably was banking on the ump not realising or ignoring it.

Having said that, there were several times when Crows players got away with cribbing a similar distance. Guess they all try it sometimes, and sometimes the ump's ping them. In the circumstances (a nearly certain goal to the Crows if he was pinged), it was silly of Jamar.

Ironic, they're obviously blind and yet their performance would be improved by being deaf as well.

Touche! Quite the line!

But seriously, something has to be done about this. I don't like the idea that the men who are in charge of proceedings could possibly be taking part in some kind popularity contest. If there is any evidence at all of an away team being discriminated against someting should be done.

I allow for error, because they are human. But when two teams do the same thing, and only one get penalised it, well that is where I, and all of you get frustrated. I would scream discrimination and harrasment and run straight to human resources to be honest with you. Thoughts?

The free kicks were 20-12 in our favour. Burton should have got a free late in the last when he was retarded by JMac. It was a hot one and we were lucky not to be pinged. It could have had a bearing on the game. Yet we still have poster whinging about the frees we did not get. :wacko: Unbelievable.

Any chance there have been some studies on the fact that if you get your hands on the ball first more than the opposition and contest neutral ball decisions that you might just get a better run with the umpires.

Some of the rubbish written about umpires on this site is far worse than any of the performances posters are crtical about.

Yes, huge effect. I once thought it was subconscious, & maybe years gone by, it was, maybe.

But now, it seems to me that its designed to keep the local supporters, or if both local, the biggest group of supporters, to appease them & make them feel good.

Assuming that this is better marketing than just simply doing the right thing.

What Rubbish a Home Team gets a good deal off the umpires mainly because the Team is lifted to play better by the Bias Crowd. The Umps don't favor one side, all there games are scrutinized with video reviews.

We got a better deal yesterday because we tackled and chased hard-and Tackled correctly most of the time.

After Half Time we played Pro active Footy, That is the side that usually gets the rub of the umpires.

I thought after awarding Adelaide a "goal" just before quarter time when the ball was touched off the boot by Warnock - clearly to all of us sitting behind those goals- that the umps might have been trying to square up the error but they'd say they make no error & call it as they see it

I thought after awarding Adelaide a "goal" just before quarter time when the ball was touched off the boot by Warnock - clearly to all of us sitting behind those goals- that the umps might have been trying to square up the error but they'd say they make no error & call it as they see it

Yes Umpires do give howlers in the belief that it squares up some perceived howler to the other side earlier in the game.

Some of supporters thinking about umpiring is so naive and ridiculous that it really beggars belief.

And its good to know people in the crowd get a batter view than at least three umpires in more central and strategic positions. Gives me great comfort indeed.