MELBOURNE v ADELAIDE

Melbourne

B: Matthew Warnock, James Frawley, Jamie Bennell

HB: James McDonald, Joel Macdonald, Lynden Dunn

C: Rohan Bail, Jackson Trengove, Aaron Davey

HF: Brad Green, Colin Sylvia, Cameron Bruce

F: Tom Scully, Ricky Petterd, Clint Bartram

Foll: Mark Jamar, Jack Grimes, Brent Moloney

I/C (from): Colin Garland, Jordie McKenzie, Nathan Jones, Matthew Bate, Kyle Cheney, Jake Spencer, Michael Newton

In: Garland, Sylvia, Spencer, Cheney

Out: James Strauss

Is this team one short? There are only 6 on the bench. Sylvia comes in for Strauss (unlucky), then we add 3 to the bench, so we're one short.

Edit: afl.com.au missed Newton on the bench.

Edited by titan_uranus

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That doesn't add up. Shouldn't there be 7 on the extended interchange?

Edit: Newton also appears to be missing.

Double Edit: Now that they've fixed it, I think the extended interchange lends itself to "no further changes" - Strauss out, Sylvia in.

I'd give Garland another run at Casey. I'm not interested in playing Cheney ahead of Jones or Bate (both best 22 players who should be retained), and there's no way imagineable that McKenzie will be dropped. The only marginal one is Spencer vs Newton - I don't think Newton deserves to be dropped, but Jamar can't carry the load forever.

I reckon Strauss is stiff, but it's only round 3. Big opportunity now to take some games at Casey by the scruff of the neck and push for selection later in the year.

GARLAND!

I know he might not play, but.... Garland is back!!! demon_wink.gif

My hopeful final bench:

McKenzie (deserves to be in the starting 18!)

Garland

Jones

Newton

Adelaide have no rucks, so Jamar to go alone one more week. It's a very risky startegy but Spencer just doesn't give us enough around the ground to justify his selection at the moment. Bate needs to gain fitness away from the AFL stage where he is becoming a bit of a liability.

Edit: It appears that Newton is the forgotten man on the bench. As much as it pains me, I think he deserves another week, plus he can help out in the ruck.

Edited by Jaded

can you believe it Jackson Trengove in the guts

strauss is stiff!

Garland straight in... seems a bit odd

looks to me like Jones and Bate might be getting a spell

bennell named on-field to confirm he will not be dropped for THAT incident

Bench will likely be:

McKenzie

Jones

Newton

Bate/Garland

Can't see Garland playing over Newton as we'd lose a ruck, and I'd rather not see Spencer take his spot.

I could, however, see Garland take Bate's spot.

Edit: Bartram very lucky. Rewarded for his work on Davis I guess.

And Cheney must be very close to selection as we've dropped Strauss. But probably won't make it.

Edited by titan_uranus

MELBOURNE v ADELAIDE

Melbourne

B: Matthew Warnock, James Frawley, Jamie Bennell

HB: James McDonald, Joel Macdonald, Lynden Dunn

C: Rohan Bail, Jackson Trengove, Aaron Davey

HF: Brad Green, Colin Sylvia, Cameron Bruce

F: Tom Scully, Ricky Petterd, Clint Bartram

Foll: Mark Jamar, Jack Grimes, Brent Moloney

I/C (from): Colin Garland, Jordie McKenzie, Nathan Jones, Matthew Bate, Kyle Cheney, Jake Spencer

Good luck to Jackson Trengove - after crossing over from Port Power during the week....

No surprise that Strauss was omitted. Needs some game time as a lower level. Plus I thought it was our kids that didn't make the right decisions and panicked a bit when the game was on the line late in the last qtr. We're going for a win this week so experience > youth.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell

Don't know why we dropped Strauss. 2 games isn't really a great look at it, even if he wasn't setting the world on fire. Would have thought you would give him some time to adjust to the pace and his kicking would become a weapon.

Guess it answers Leigh Matthews question to see if we dropped Bennell this week. Would have liked to send the message if you don't go when its your turn then don't play. Apparently not the case at the Dees.

Garland big in. remarkable turnaround given he didn't play the practice matches.

Edited by Bay Riffin

Adelaide:

B: Michael Doughty, Ben Rutten, Jared Petrenko

HB: Simon Goodwin, Nathan Bock, Richard Douglas

C: Tyson Edwards, Bernie Vince, David Mackay

HF: Jason Porplyzia, Taylor Walker, Patrick Dangerfield

F: Andrew McLeod, Kurt Tippett, Trent Hentschel

Foll: Ivan Maric, Scott Thompson, Brent Reilly

I/C (from): Myke Cook, Chris Knights, Brett Burton, Scott Stevens, Shaun McKernan, Tony Armstrong, Chris Schmidt

In: Knights, McKernan, Armstrong, Stevens, Schmidt

Out: James Sellar (hamstring), Will Young

New: Chris Schmidt (Brisbane Lions)

They get Knights back.

I think the last four will be Jones, Bate, Mckenzie and Newton. Cannot see Garland getting in without a full game at Casey. It is tweleve months since he played. Will we go with one ruckman for the second week in a row? Probaly as I do not think Spencer is up to it!

So still no Jared Rivers. Does anyone know anything about his injury, severity/length of time on sidelines other than its a 'knee'?

Very frustrating.

Would doubt Garland would be rushed in that quickly, seeing he didnt play in the VFL last week, but given they've got Tippett, Hentschel and Walker up forward all offering tall leading and marking targets (and Frawley is the obvious matchup for Dangerfield) we may not have a choice.

Also good to see they didnt bring Miller straight back in, his spell in purgatory continues for at least another week.

I for one hope they don't drop Bate, he's the type of player who's better served finding touch and fitness in our forward line.

So my preferred bench would be McKenzie, Jones, Bate & Newton or Garland.

I have to say I picked it. IN: Sylvia, OUT: Strauss is a good decision. Strauss wasn't too productive on the week-end. He didn't do anything bad, but he didn't do enough good to warrant selection again. He'll be a good player though.

I have to say I picked it. IN: Sylvia, OUT: Strauss is a good decision. Strauss wasn't too productive on the week-end. He didn't do anything bad, but he didn't do enough good to warrant selection again. He'll be a good player though.

Well done.

You were also calling for Frawley to be dropped at one point. :wacko:

Strauss had a number of unfortunate clanger in the last line of defence in week one. He also allowed Anthony too much freedom in the last quarter to mark 25 metres from goal. On the other hand he did not set the world on fire. He is a beautiful kick of a ball though.

He's had a taste now he can go back to Casey and work on a few areas.

Don't know why we dropped Strauss. 2 games isn't really a great look at it, even if he wasn't setting the world on fire. Would have thought you would give him some time to adjust to the pace and his kicking would become a weapon.

Why do supporters think young bloke have a mortgages on more game time if they dont deeserve it. If the Footy dept dont rate the performance in those games surely they shouldn't be carried.

Unfortunately, I agree & they play the MCG well.

They played it brilliantly the last time they played us, didn't they?

And the last time they played there, against Collingwood, they had a fantastic second half, didn't they?

Just kidding around. They'll beat us, but I'm not convinced they like the MCG much.

from the MFC website

"Colin Sylvia will make his return this Sunday from a broken jaw when the Demons take on Adelaide at the MCG.

Colin Garland is a chance to return after he missed the majority of the 2009 season due to a foot fracture. "

a giveaway there that Sylvia will play and Garland will be an emergency, which wouldn't surprise too many.

does show Garland is on the verge of selection though.