Do stats lie? Or are they just misleading?

DeeVoted

Like most I was rubbing my hands after grabbing the 1st 2 picks in the draft. I figured I was owed that much after 2

disaster seasons. (yeah it hurt). to hell with tanking, hitting the handbrake, call it what you may. I then started to weigh up the possibilities with our young-to-be-star lineup. I figured 2 seasons they should be pushing hard for

a top 8 or better. (no flag yet). Then I wondered how long it took the sides of 54-60 to get their act together. Well

it seems the '56 side was younger and had less experience (games)of our young demons of today. Interesting stats I thought, after doing some checking, I'm no longer giving them 3-4 years. The time is now. Time to extract the digit boys!

Like most I was rubbing my hands after grabbing the 1st 2 picks in the draft. I figured I was owed that much after 2

disaster seasons. (yeah it hurt). to hell with tanking, hitting the handbrake, call it what you may. I then started to weigh up the possibilities with our young-to-be-star lineup. I figured 2 seasons they should be pushing hard for

a top 8 or better. (no flag yet). Then I wondered how long it took the sides of 54-60 to get their act together. Well

it seems the '56 side was younger and had less experience (games)of our young demons of today. Interesting stats I thought, after doing some checking, I'm no longer giving them 3-4 years. The time is now. Time to extract the digit boys!

Its a different game today to what it was back then.

You have unrealistic expectations of what these kids can achieve.

Its a different game today to what it was back then.

You have unrealistic expectations of what these kids can achieve.

For sure. The 1953 side only won 3 games. Back then a fair side might only have half a dozen decent players. The dominant Demon teams were so successful because of their evenness, no weak links and individual play was discouraged. The current list is beginning to have a "no weak links" look to it. Danners had to pick players and hope they'd "come to play".

stats don't lie you can make them say what every your point is. young sides can win flags,its not agebut exprience, too compare the two sides you must look at games played, not age

I hate comparing eras. There are too many variables.

ie how would bradman stack up in todays era?

I hate that. He was the best around (and still has the best batting ave) so leave it be, Pharlap?? Our team of the

mid '50s to 1960.

Those teams also had the benefit of bonding in a U19's & reserve teams. Therefore I dont like comparing......but

my point I was making is if they start believing

its all going to happen in 3-4 years time,who knows whats going to happen while they wait. They have to start believing in themselves NOW. It should take 2 seasons to

fine tune the lineup, (injuries will determine a lot as well) dump a few passengers,recruit and stregthen a few positions. If get a bit of believe & confidence,get on a roll,cant really see why a young team cant push for a GF berth in a couple of years time. Luck will play a big part.

Our problem is we still have a few that arent quite up too it.But no side is ever going to be perfect. Team effort boys! There's no 'I' in team.

For sure. The 1953 side only won 3 games. Back then a fair side might only have half a dozen decent players. The dominant Demon teams were so successful because of their evenness, no weak links and individual play was discouraged. The current list is beginning to have a "no weak links" look to it. Danners had to pick players and hope they'd "come to play".

Love the Avatar.

As for the topic, if you prescribe to comparisons of stats, then a better set would be the modern-day sides that have bottomed out. The Hawks didn't bottom out as severely as we did, had a number of amazing trades to help them, and it still took them a few years to get it together. Even when people recognised the strength of the list they were compiling, they had a couple of years of getting it all together.

I particularly like the Franklin/Watts comparison. People forget this, but he was given a VERY hard time before he became the messiah.

Stats are far too mechanical in football anaysis terms

I prefer to look at patterns or for a better phrase "history repeats"

Ask anyone who was alive during that era and the best Demon side was 1956

1960 was when we were on the decline

We did very well to make the fianls 11 years in a row and at that time was a VFL record

1964 was pure oppurtunity as Geelong were the best side

In 1967 Geelong were still powerful but the Tigers started their window of oppurtunity

Carlton and Essendon were also very good and the most consistent performer of all of them were in fact Collingwood

Collingwood gained the name Colliwobbles during this period as they were always there but just couldnt win the big one

You cant compare era versus era but the common theme is that winning premierships especially multipe ones is very rare and it doesnt last long (Brisbane for Example)

The task to win premierships is not only to have your players ready for it as it is also important that your chances are better than 15 other clubs

This is why Collinwood have had 50% of that equation for the net result of 3 flags since 1950

Today i see Hawthorn as the team most likeley to spoil any chance of a Saints or Bulldog Premiership

And you cant discount The Cats either

Collingwood always the spoiler could play an important part in shaping the finals even if i doubt they will win the flag

Melbourne even if they had a remarkable year and made the finals are just not ready or good enough to win a flag in 2010 or 2011

2012 maybe but 2013/2014 is far more likley