Where will the improvement come fom?

jabberwocky

Six Players who I believe have a large amount of improvement in them or higher ceiling than your average player. If these players begin to reach thier potential we will field a much stronger football team in 2010. Other people will have differing opinions and different players.

1. Grimes: A fit Jack Grimes in the midfield getting a lot of footy around the ground, taking marks, winning hard ball linking up and hitting targets.

2. Trengove: See Grimes. It sounds likely that this kid will be in our best midfield group now.

3. Jones: This kid has the resilience and toughness to be a great player and the will to succeed, will love having some class around him.

4. Jurrah: More games, game time and fitness will hopefully mean a better footballer again.

5. Jamar: A fit Jamar playing no. 1 ruck for most of the year will be a massive influence going by the form he has shown recently.

6. Bennell: We need his type of player. Hopefully he can be the sweeper to allow Davey to play as a genuine mid forward.

Garland: The ideal swingman. Tall, quick, courageous, smart, thumping kick. Possible key forward. Would be a big boost to get him back fit. Will take him time to regain form and fitness so may not have huge impact this year. Wonna is in the same category, high ceiling but probably won't get there this year.

Consistent performances from established players such as Davey, Sylvia, Moloney, Warnock, Frawley, Green and Bruce supported by thier improving team-mates will see us win more games than most think.

For us to win games we need improvement from the likes of Dunn, Petterd, Maric, Martin, Bate and Consistent injury free games from Jamar, Green and Bruce. No offence but the players you mention are well on their way already.

If these players begin to reach thier potential

Col Sylvia is the player here. If he reaches his full potential, he'll be something else.

Cale Morton. If he can find the combination to use his height and engine, he'll be a devastating goal kicking winger/half forward.

Grimes, Jurrah. No explanation.

My smoky. Austin Wonaemirri. There's prob 10 or more with higher ceilings but I'm confident he'll be a hell of a player. Great touch, clean hands, excellent spatial awareness, good anticipation and great kick.

For us to win games we need improvement from the likes of Dunn, Petterd, Maric, Martin, Bate and Consistent injury free games from Jamar, Green and Bruce. No offence but the players you mention are well on their way already.

I didn't say they weren't on thier way. If you read the thread I was talking about players who I believe have a high ceiling and scope for improvement therefore improving the side the most.

Fact is if Grimes stays on the park and stays fit, if Trengove is as good as we think he is, if Jones gets more footy and hits targets, if Jamar continues his form and gets on the park, if Bennell can get more footy and hit targets, if Jurrah plays 80% of game time this year, we will be a 20-30% better side. Nothing far fetched there but very dependent on the "I" word. We have a group of 6-8 consistent performers already to add to that list.

Good Players continuing to perform at a high level won't improve the side markedly, granted they will look much better in a better side and be under less pressure. The six I mentioned I believe can be very good players, possibly a smattering of A graders amongst them.

Bate could have been in the first lot. I agree with what you say about Green and Bruce and said much the same.

Edited by dandeeman

Put Frawley in the first group IMO. The man is a beast now and will hopefully relish the chance to play on (and dominate?) the better key forwards each week, as opposed to being pulled from the ground against Fevola and Reiwoldt last year.

Six Players who I believe have a large amount of improvement in them or higher ceiling than your average player. If these players begin to reach thier potential we will field a much stronger football team in 2010. Other people will have differing opinions and different players.

1. Grimes: A fit Jack Grimes in the midfield getting a lot of footy around the ground, taking marks, winning hard ball linking up and hitting targets.

2. Trengove: See Grimes. It sounds likely that this kid will be in our best midfield group now.

3. Jones: This kid has the resilience and toughness to be a great player and the will to succeed, will love having some class around him.

4. Jurrah: More games, game time and fitness will hopefully mean a better footballer again.

5. Jamar: A fit Jamar playing no. 1 ruck for most of the year will be a massive influence going by the form he has shown recently.

6. Bennell: We need his type of player. Hopefully he can be the sweeper to allow Davey to play as a genuine mid forward.

Garland: The ideal swingman. Tall, quick, courageous, smart, thumping kick. Possible key forward. Would be a big boost to get him back fit. Will take him time to regain form and fitness so may not have huge impact this year. Wonna is in the same category, high ceiling but probably won't get there this year.

Consistent performances from established players such as Davey, Sylvia, Moloney, Warnock, Frawley, Green and Bruce supported by thier improving team-mates will see us win more games than most think.

I agree here with your thoughts. I believe a big factor influencing our improvement will be NOT PLAYING WITH THE BRAKES ON as was the case in many of our games last year. Simply we will be out to win every match. I also think that a fit Wonna and the experienced Joel MacDonald will lead to us having a sound if not fantastic season.

I personally wanna see jack watts kick 15- 20 goals this year, we need more forwards.

If bate can have a good year and i reckon LJ will improve too throw watts down there as another option with wonna, sylvia,

davey, maybe even a green or tapscott it could be possibly quite a good forward setup.

I hope Cale Morton n Frank grimes take the next step this year, im more interested in the blokes that have been around for 2 - 3

years to improve more then the early picks we got this year. If scully Trengove Gysberts and co can improve and have a decsent

year then its a bonus.

I think we have 5 players on our list that have demonstrated what they are capable of. Junior, Bruce, Green, Davey and Miller are probably the only players to have reached their ceiling. They are the only players on our list to have played more than 100 games and we know how good their best is. The other 35 senior listed players and the rookies all have improvement in them.

The most important group for next year are the players who have around 60-100 games under their belts. They suddenly find themselves senior players on a young list and need to respond accordingly. There will be a lot of pressure on this group in the next few years to maintain their spot in the 22 with the quality of the younger players coming through.

Moloney, Rivers, Bate, Jones, Jamar and Sylvia are our most important players this year. We need these players to continue to improve and to be regular contributors if we are start our climb up the ladder.

Molney and Rivers are in their second year back after long injury spells, have both done full preseasons, and have no excuses not to deliver on the promise they showed as young players. I thought both were good last year but both need to be better this year.

Matty Bate needs to lessen the gap between his best and worst and become more consistent. When he's on he is fantastic to watch but sometimes goes missing and worse gets attacks of the fumbles. The game against Freo last year was the perfect example of what I'm talking about. In the first half he had I think 8 possies and 7 turnnovers from memory. After he fumbled and bumbled his way through the first half he turned it on in the second. Swooping on loose balls at full tilt and kicking a few goals as well. In a very young and underdeveloped forward line the Master's year will be critical to our output.

Jones will benifit from our new look midfield this year. It won't be as one paced with Brock gone, there should be a little more variety rotating through. Nate and Brent need to step up to take pressure of our young mids. These 2 need to demand the number 1 tag each week. If Grimes, Morton, Trengove or Scully are copping a heavy tag it will be because these 2 have failed.

I've been a Jamar fan for a few year now. Love his centre bounce and stoppage work. He has improved in leaps and bounds around the ground since given an opportunity. We need him fit more than any other player imo because of our lack of options in that part of the ground.

Finally, Col Sylvia. I think some of the adulation around here for Col is a bit premature. Yes, he was very good in patches last year but needs to find that week in week out. He's a senior player now and needs to find consistency like Davey did last year.

I think we have 5 players on our list that have demonstrated what they are capable of. Junior, Bruce, Green, Davey and Miller are probably the only players to have reached their ceiling.

I don't agree with your comments about Green. I think his next 5 years will be his best. By the time his football comes to an end he will be one of MFC's best players in the last 20 years. I think he will play 280 games or more for the club. I also think this year he will win the Bluey.

Can't argue with Dandeemans first 5 "high ceiling" players... but I am still not sold on Bennell just yet. He has pace and footskills but I must have missed the games where he really stood out and showed big potential. Yes he may prove valuable by releasing Davey up the ground but the inclusion of Joel MacDonald should allow this to happen anyway. Joel doesn't have the speed of Bennell but I would imagine he will act as the quarterback setting up play across the backline.

Agree that Garland & Wonna will make a massive difference if they can stay on the park and will be like 2 new recruits after missing last year. While Brad Green has already shown us his best over the years I think he will put it all together this season (the way Davey did last year) and consistantly play top class footy... finally getting the recognition he deserves from the media and footy public.

Jones has reached his ceiling. He can't think quickly enough to be a top player at the CB or the scrimmages, and doesn't have the sheer pace to just sprint his way out of trouble. Scully is the opposite. I think Jones might be a better player on the half forward or half back line. He handles the ball cleanly, stays on his feet, and can kick OK when he has time to spot a clear target; preferably a moving target rather than the goal posts.

I don't agree with your comments about Green. I think his next 5 years will be his best. By the time his football comes to an end he will be one of MFC's best players in the last 20 years. I think he will play 280 games or more for the club. I also think this year he will win the Bluey.

Now here's a comment I agree with 100%. Green is an artist. Slow, maybe, but his skills, play-reading, marking and grit set him apart. He gets better every year. He ought to play on the forward line, where he will take marks and slot them through from all angles. He's a low-to-the-ground player, always balanced and on his feet, which should mean that he plays several more years without serious injury. I would have made him captain before Macdonald, although that's no criticism of JM, who is also a very fine player.

• 3 weeks later...

BUMP.

Not too many people mentioned Petterd`s name during discussions of who where improvement will come from. He`d probably have to be the stand out in the pre season for improvement so far. 2008 was Garlands breakout year, 2009 IMO belonged to Frawley (some may say Sylvia but we already knew what he was capable of). 2010 just may be Ricky`s year. He started showing signs last year. He can be a very difficult match up in the forwardline and can even switch down back if required (hopefully won`t need to). You can bet your bottom dollar that Gold Coast are watching very intently on his progress.

Our improvement needs to come across the board. Even players like Jetta and Bennell could be a huge keys moving forward.

Having so few players without 100 or even 50 games under their belt does hurt. Every season from here should help us build consistency across the field, which is what we sorely lack.

BUMP.

Not too many people mentioned Petterd`s name during discussions of who where improvement will come from. He`d probably have to be the stand out in the pre season for improvement so far. 2008 was Garlands breakout year, 2009 IMO belonged to Frawley (some may say Sylvia but we already knew what he was capable of). 2010 just may be Ricky`s year. He started showing signs last year. He can be a very difficult match up in the forwardline and can even switch down back if required (hopefully won`t need to). You can bet your bottom dollar that Gold Coast are watching very intently on his progress.

Yeah tend to agree, I think Petterd is a standout player, could really be something special....well wait and see.

Yeah tend to agree, I think Petterd is a standout player, could really be something special....well wait and see.

Petterd adds strength & hardness to the forward line. He's agreat mark for his size and very difficult to matchup. He's also great under pressure and seems to make the most of his chances - it's a worry that we missed 4 in the last qtr (especially the one by Green). But it was Petterd who showed his quality under pressure and kicked truly to put us back in front.

I feel a big part of the improvement needs to come from the coaching dept. From what I saw of the Fremantle game, either the coaching's got a long way to go or the players just haven't got it (still). I didn't see the Adelaide game so maybe the game plan is being refined nicely. We'll get some idea against the Hawks, I imagine.