We can finally have closure on not getting Naitanui

sylvinator

I, like many others, have always felt annoyed and disappointed that we won 5 games in 2007.

Essentially, winning 5 instead of 4 games that year cost us pick2- Nick Naitanui- in the 2008 draft. Even though we probably could have won 7-8 games that year (the North and Bombers games come to mind, when we lost being in front with 3 minutes to go) it still hurt knowing what we lost from winning that last match against Carltank.

Now to 2009. We finish the year with 4 wins. We are not that bad! We could have probably won 6-7 games this year had we been playing with the same motivation to win as Sydney. The fact that we finish with a PP, pick 2, is probably a little undeserving.

For me, gaining pick 2 in this years draft is an added bonus that we didn't really have coming. I believe this cancels out the lost PP in 2008 which we probably did deserve and did have coming.

I am now officialy over the fact we lost NN and I officially have closure.

Do you guyz agree?

(NB: I say we only lost pick2- NickNaitanui- bc imo the difference between Morton (pick4- future superstar) and Cotchin (pick2) is negligable. Also, the extra PP pick, pick 20 2008 (Strauss), is equivalent to the lost PP pick 20 in 2007, so those picks cancel eachother out. Therefore, the we only really lost pick2 2008 from winning 5 games)

I, like many others, have always felt annoyed and disappointed that we won 5 games in 2007.

Essentially, winning 5 instead of 4 games that year cost us pick2- Nick Naitanui- in the 2008 draft. Even though we probably could have won 7-8 games that year (the North and Bombers games come to mind, when we lost being in front with 3 minutes to go) it still hurt knowing what we lost from winning that last match against Carltank.

Now to 2009. We finish the year with 4 wins. We are not that bad! We could have probably won 6-7 games this year had we been playing with the same motivation to win as Sydney. The fact that we finish with a PP, pick 2, is probably a little undeserving.

For me, gaining pick 2 in this years draft is an added bonus that we didn't really have coming. I believe this cancels out the lost PP in 2008 which we probably did deserve and did have coming.

Do you guyz agree?

(NB: I say we only lost pick2- NickNaitanui- bc imo the difference between Morton (pick4- future superstar) and Cotchin (pick2) is negligable. Also, the extra PP pick, pick 20 2008 (Strauss), is equivalent to the lost PP pick 20 in 2007, so those picks cancel eachother out. Therefore, the we only really lost pick2 2008 from winning 5 games)

He was Never going to come to victoria so i didn't consider it a sadness.

To me it was more about Kruezer as i recall.

To me it was more about Kruezer as i recall.

That Carlton Melbourne game was touted as the "Kreuzer Cup " from memory as the loser won him !!..tis water under bridge now:)

but point taken as we would have had the PP last year. Im not terrible disappointed we didnt get Nic Nat for as he will be quite a something as a player I dont hink he'll end up quite as good as we mayhave first thought. Seems a bit awkward ....hasnt the flunen skills of the 'exceptional "player.

Time of course will be the judge.

As long as we use this years 1 & 2 wisely I'll be quite content :)

Edited by belzebub59

Do you guyz agree?

All true and you could argue that Jurrah is just as exciting and marketable as Nicknat. A great trade off.

But I'm a greedy [censored] who wanted Watts, Nicknat and Jurrah still playing in the red and blue.

Jurrah, Trengove or Butcher eases the pain but total closure will come when we win a flag.

Do you guyz agree?

I really like the look of Strauss, and I think he'll give us plenty in the years ahead. His spectacular run from deep in defence in one if the Scorps' games which he capped off with a goal is one of my enduring memories from this year, in demonstrating how much latent upside we've still got to come. If Blease & Strauss start 2010 fully fit, each of them may well deliver more to MFC than NikNat would have (NikNat will be a star, but we wouldn't have kept him for more than the obligatory 2 years if we'd got him).

Another great OP.

Edited by Akum

I don't know what your sources are but I remember Naitanui's mum being interviewed before the draft and saying she would move the whole family down from WA to Melbourne if her son was chosen with the first pick in the draft.

I was disappointed that we went with Watts ahead of Naitanui and even more so after seeing Nick play senior footy with the Eagles this year. To me he checked all the boxes pre-draft; marketing value, originality, the freak athleticism and the "it factor" of never knowing exactly what he will do in any given game. It also seemed like getting both Naitanui and Watts would have been the perfect combination going forward, but I can agree with having closure and moving on. I think we were extremely lucky to get our livewire freakish talent in Liam Jurrah and were even luckier in the circumstances we got him. I also think we would have won more than 4 games had we picked up Naitanui and more than likely wouldn't have finished bottom of the ladder, losing Scully in the process. So in the end it all worked out better than expected and puts us in an even better position moving forward than if we got Naitanui with Watts in the draft last year.

Also felt really good to see Jamar showing Naitanui a thing on two in the ruck when we played the Coasters, Naitanui had no disposals until the final term if I remember correctly.

I happy with the way things have turned out. I was bitter about losing Kruzer at the time but our time has come. Nic Nat is probably going to be good, (the ripper 1st game isn't a 1 off), but Jurrah is a pretty exciting prospect and looks to be pretty consistent from what I've seen when he actually gets a decent run. Can't wait for him to start getting a full game in a set position. Too early to tell with Watts i think, need to see him with more muscle and game time. I think Johnathon Brown had a slow start and look at him now. Big things coming our way and I'm glad to have seen it from its infancy.

That Carlton Melbourne game was touted as the "Kreuzer Cup " from memory as the loser won him !!..tis water under bridge now:)

is that right? because the year before (2006) we won 13 games.. and then the year after (2007) we won 5 (because we beat carltank).. wouldnt that mean we werent eligible for the priority pick and Kreuzer? I thought it was 2 years in a row you have to win no more then 4? or was the rule different then?

is that right? because the year before (2006) we won 13 games.. and then the year after (2007) we won 5 (because we beat carltank).. wouldnt that mean we werent eligible for the priority pick and Kreuzer? I thought it was 2 years in a row you have to win no more then 4? or was the rule different then?

Carlton wouldn't have got the priority if they had won so Carlton would have only had pick 3, Richmond pick 1 and we would have had pick 2.

I think Carltoon would have got pick 3.

Richmond finished bottom, pick 1.

Dees, 2nd bottom pick 2.

I wouldn't have taken Naitinui anyway.

I would've been happy with either Cotchin or Kreuzer.

Who would we have gotten @ our priority pick @ the end of the 1st Rnd???