Trade week an option for Demons

cooko

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/tabid/7415/d...px?newsid=83568

MELBOURNE has not ruled out featuring in trade week despite plans to make up to six selections in this year's NAB AFL Draft.

List manager Tim Harrington said the Demons would keep their options open when considering whether to recruit a player from another club or preserve a draft order that will start with the prized pick No.1.

"I'm always open-minded about the trade period, because you have to strengthen your club's future. So that means that you have to be willing to trade or at least be open-minded about how you strengthen your club for the future," he told melbournefc.com.au.

"That's part of the role as list manager. There is much less involvement in the day-to-day [activities of the football department], but with an eye on what the list is going to look like in two years, three years and five years.

"Having said that, the role of the list manager is to also balance the needs of recruiting, coaching and club to make sure everyone is aligned in ticking the same things."

However, Harrington reiterated that adding more young players to a squad loaded with 2007 and 2008 draftees was the priority.

"The draft is certainly the main focus, when we've got prime positioning with our picks. You've got to make sure you get those picks right," he said.

"We've had a couple of blokes who have announced their retirements (Paul Wheatley, Matthew Whelan and Russell Robertson), which makes the list look younger again, but we'll go to the draft table and take young talented blokes again.

"We'll be younger again next year, so we've got to balance out against getting younger and getting even more inexperienced next year. But what we’re aiming for is development on the field."

At the 2007 NAB AFL Draft, Melbourne selected Cale Morton (4), Jack Grimes (14), Addam Maric (21), Kyle Cheney (53) and Tom McNamara (66).

Jack Watts (No.1), Sam Blease (17), James Strauss (19), Jamie Bennell (35), Neville Jetta (51) and Rohan Bail (64) were taken from last year's pool.

NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft selections Stefan Martin (2008) and Liam Jurrah (2009) and Austin Wonaeamirri, Jake Spencer, Shane Valenti and Jordie McKenzie, who have either graduated from or remain on the club's rookie list, form the rest of Melbourne's emerging group.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the subtle ( or not so ) announcement that we ( MFC ) are here to play ball. I have been thinking all along that the club would exploit the semi hysteria that the looming GC and Whatarethey Sydney will bring to drafts and options etc. Picks 1 and 2 are/ought to be sacrosanct. After this...all bets off..any its anything for anything if the deal is right..picks 18...34..50.. ..go for it

Melbourne has flagged its interest, now other clubs will come out of the shadows.

It will be a few years til such a similar climate of wholesle change is on the menu for so many clubs. Its beholding upon our FD to take as much of an advantage as posible in these circumstnaces.

further to this we have newly installed Hardwick at punt road who has already signalled theres one hell of a cleanout to occur there. The Toiges are after players. Port has signalled a bit of a flushing..More players required there. Sydney needs some. Other teams will obviously look upon this volatitlity and consider what they can get /make of it all.

Make no mistake this is quite a different year come post finals. Real interet intermingles and disguised amongst the rumours will fly thick and fast up and through trade week. We probably wont really come to grips with all the change until the dust settles. Melbourne will be in amongst this, how couldnt we be. And as usual there will be angst and disagreements about what transpires, about who comes and who went. I for a change actually have quite a bit of confidence in what the FD are attempting to do.

Settle back and buckle up...going to be a fun ride :) :) :)

All he has said is that we have an open mind. You would not expect him to say otherwise in the media. Its the same attituude as the other 15 clubs.

I expect countless trade rumours/proposals to bandied around. The truth is that trade week is the most overhyped event around. I'll wait to see what it throws.

And Richmond...having a clean out...no kidding. They have about 10 blokes on their list that could and should go that arent good enough and have no currency on the trade table. The players that do have currency arent the ones they want to part with. And of any of their clean out players I would not trade one of our players for and I would not waste a PSD on them.

There is old saying "Buy the fact, sell the rumour". Never been more apt.

geez RR ya bum must get soer sitting on that fence for so long.

Logic.. something you profess to deal in.. suggest..no..actually dictates that there must be an inordinate amount of player stocks replenishing to be done. You scoff at the notion that the Toiges are cleaning out.. all that is is you scoffing at the notion..It doesnt change the FACT of it. Players will go.. means players are needed.. They have to come from somewhere. Only so many can be had via the draft..so other will come from trades etc. There is the knock on effect. Richmond are not eh only club to signal a reuvenation of their list. So again, more action in the filed of procurements.

Of course Bailey i going to say he has an open mind. Just as he says he experiments etc. its just what he says but th emthod of dleivery and timig to the world that has that side element of intirgue.

I would concur that more often than not trade week has beensen in restrospect as hyped beyong its delivery but surely even the cynic you are can se beyond the media mongering to the playig field thatmuch not only needs to happen at clubs but that theclimate and timing is ripe for this to do so.

Whether or not players being delisted or cleaned out go to other clubs in trade or not there by their absence is a vacuum. This wil be filled. Trade week will be far more of a reality this year. Beleive it.

Whether or not players being delisted or cleaned out go to other clubs in trade or not there by their absence is a vacuum. This wil be filled. Trade week will be far more of a reality this year. Beleive it.

Didn't you say this last year Bub before trade week?

I'm not getting excited.

I'll doubt we'll trade. We can't attract players to the club at the moment.

ooh... in the past I think you might have been very right as we've seen how much on the nose we WERE by the flagged intentions of prospects to avoid us at seemingly all costs. I do think however that now the club has had the chance to show its intention to get serious about this notion of rebuilding and thelengths it has gone to enable and guarantee success in doing so combined with current players stepping up and the likelyhood of the types about to come to the club that we will paint ourselves with a very different picture.

I , as unbiased as possible, honestly think that we wil be seen as a viable home for any apsiring talent.

I'm not getting excited.

I'll doubt we'll trade. We can't attract players to the club at the moment.

Why would you say that? On the back of one player? Prismall. Warnock got an offer we could not and would not have met.

What players who are surplus to our list requirements have currency in the trade market? Rivers??

I cant see us trading pick 1,2 and 18 (unless its a really good deal)

geez RR ya bum must get soer sitting on that fence for so long.

Logic.. something you profess to deal in.. suggest..no..actually dictates that there must be an inordinate amount of player stocks replenishing to be done. You scoff at the notion that the Toiges are cleaning out.. all that is is you scoffing at the notion..It doesnt change the FACT of it. Players will go.. means players are needed.. They have to come from somewhere. Only so many can be had via the draft..so other will come from trades etc. There is the knock on effect. Richmond are not eh only club to signal a reuvenation of their list. So again, more action in the filed of procurements.

Of course Bailey i going to say he has an open mind. Just as he says he experiments etc. its just what he says but th emthod of dleivery and timig to the world that has that side element of intirgue.

I would concur that more often than not trade week has beensen in restrospect as hyped beyong its delivery but surely even the cynic you are can se beyond the media mongering to the playig field thatmuch not only needs to happen at clubs but that theclimate and timing is ripe for this to do so.

Same same every year Bub. There are always clubs cleaning out, rejuvenating. Richmond have lots to clean out of little currency. They have however few pawns to trade with. If the shallowness of the draft is the case then there might be one or tow player for player trades. But I cant see an active market swapping NQR for NQR. Something about deckchairs...

Anyway good fortune with the hoopla. :P

Didn't you say this last year Bub before trade week?

yep..lol

Regardless of that..and the lack of activity really surprised a lot in footy, the circumstances this year are just too hot for there not to be fire. Only so many places at each club can be filled by drafts. This years draft being shallower thanprevious will certainly colour and probably devalue the currency of latter picks to the point where some clubs would rather acquiring some known entities in prefernece to loading up with back end picks. Other lcubs are possibly taking a different tact and loading up with yoth with the vision of bettering the chances that any or some might come through. It all depends where on the clock each club is and its particualr .

There are just too many changes.. withnew coaches coming in ..and too many vacancies ,with retiring players..and those that dont know they are about to lol.. as well as list balancing etc that trade week wont fire this year.

RR.. et al.. its not whether those from Toige land have any real value going elsewhere that creates the fuel, its that Richmond and a couple of other clubs have more spaces becoming vacant than they could normally fill with decent picks at drafting. They will need to shop further afield . The only other real option IS to trade. Either to better in some mannner exsiting picks or to score at the trade table.

The spectres of GC and Ws simply ad expedition to this...When things get hot enough...they ignite.

More heat for the fire ....

Coaching merry-go-round spins on

Not only have senior postions changed a bit , they yet do so more. Chocco yet to put pen to a non-seen paper.. Assistants ?? well its Flinders St all change ..all but.!! lol With this wholesale change at many clubs there will come the undoubted change in what many FD's consider keeps and disposables. Also their respective wish lists. It just seems too visible that how the various lists line up agaisnt what will be new faces and inputs into many football clubs that there has to be change on almost the same wholesale level with players. Only two real avenues for this and thats Trade or nominating for the drafts.

It will be busier, far busier this year than previous, not because I think it will but simply because it has to be.

Normally I'd predict an even quieter trade week than last year, with teams unwilling to take a gamble and give up anything of value as there's no chance to make up for a mistake at draft time for the next 3 years...

BUT

With Port and Richmond having fire sales, the vultures will circle and Port especially will need to make a move, any move, just to change the malignant culture of the club.

They are in precarious position and need to do something, standing pat will not get them out of this.

And word is leaking out that the out-of-contract Deledio wants a lot more than Richmond is willing to offer after an uninspiring season.

Hopefully, for our sake and entertainment, a Port trade will just be the first domino to fall.

Hinkley to be Port Adelaide coach 2010

Edited by Enforcer25

An apt analogy there E25,,,Dominoes as thats exactly what will push trade week along. If everyone was happy with most of what they havfe then there's no real incentive or reason to deal. Once , hoever, one or two teams get it into their heads that they need shake ups..or cetain players look unlikley to stay put then the juggernaut begins to gain momentum. Once various players get whiff they they arent their respective clubs favourites anymore or , has occurred in the past, become surprised by their inclusion on any lists table for "discussions" then they too start adding impetus to the whole event.

As has been shown Trade wek has the potential to be an 'everything" or a "nothing".... rarely in between.

What do we have as knowns : Port are jsut up to their necks in poo; somethng has to give. Richmond are lloking to "cleanse"..and big time. Melbourne has put its hand up with a ..we'll look at whats around, "discussions" not ruled out. Sydney need to restock. Lions to get all but completely new tier 2 coaching with associated wish lists. Adelaide has a few spots it needs to refill. North has new coach looking for a different feel to its club. Fremantle have 'issues' ..need an injection of invigoration. WCE will see a bit of a changing of the guard too. Ess to lose a couple of club stalwarts. Just because The Doggies, Cats , Sainters, Wobblies are up there dont think they dont want to stay there !!

Add to this GC in '11 and some other lot in '12. 2009 last known fair draft for next 5 years

trade week busy ?? Be surprised if it doesnt explode !!!! :D

I think there is also a chance that this year could be as quiet as usual. Draft picks could be over valued as usual (perhaps even more so) and trades could be few. The casualities could be many good players with years to offer will be delisted and not picked up. This coming trade week could very well be the catalyst that gets free-agency over the line.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/tabid/7415/d...px?newsid=83568

Harrington reiterated that adding more young players to a squad loaded with 2007 and 2008 draftees was the priority.

"We've had a couple of blokes who have announced their retirements (Paul Wheatley, Matthew Whelan and Russell Robertson), which makes the list look younger again, but we'll go to the draft table and take young talented blokes again.

"We'll be younger again next year, so we've got to balance out against getting younger and getting even more inexperienced next year. But what we’re aiming for is development on the field."

The message here is loud and clear. MFC will not be engaging in speculative trades, unless a promising younger player lands on the table. THey'll be looking to stock up with young draftees, and they're prepared to pay the price of having an "inexperienced" team for the next year or two that will all develop experience together "on the field".

This is why DB's contract extension would be such a good idea. The club is trying to accumulate players that will all peak at around about the same time, having played to gether for a few years. But that means that we might have one or two "Essendon years" (beat some very good teams, but have some unaccountable losses to lousy teams), because of our inexperience, for another year or two before things settle down into some sort of consistency.

Therefore, I doubt whether they'll be looking to trade for anyone older than about 22. It's more likely that most if not all of the players delisted from other clubs & available to trade will be mid-20s and above. Doesn't sound to me like TH is expecting to be a major player at trade time, and rightly so - it's simply unlikely to give us what we're looking for.

What about him?

Answer: No.

I don't mind him as a player personally... Think he's been unhappy for a while over there, very good long kick, athletic but dunno about his hardness and a touch loose. Probably superfluous to our needs however

Don't forget guys, this year clubs can trade future picks for players, might makes trading easier!!

Edited by thevil1

I don't mind him as a player personally... Think he's been unhappy for a while over there, very good long kick, athletic but dunno about his hardness and a touch loose. Probably superfluous to our needs however

Don't forget guys, this year clubs can trade future picks for players, might makes trading easier!!

I completely forgot about this aspect... certainly throws another log on the fire :lol:

I remember being with the aussie team touring Ireland for International Rules in.. 06? must've been.

But I remember having a few chats with him and by the end of the tour he was like a little kid trying to impress me and my mate Paul.

Very nice kid, it was cute and all, but i remember thinking how naive he seemed. To him we were the cool kids at school. (which in itself should say enough for his judgement)

Not a Jack Watts or Tom Scully personality, that's for sure.

There is a good opportunity. for the dees to get a third pick in the first round, Sydney do not want to bottom out they cant afford to. they will give up their frist pick and second pick for ready made players, i think a good trade would be miller and green, and rivers for sydney's first three picks in the draft. if they will take all three they will least take up one of those offers

Guest Rojik of the Arctic
This is the subtle ( or not so ) announcement that we ( MFC ) are here to play ball. I have been thinking all along that the club would exploit the semi hysteria that the looming GC and Whatarethey Sydney will bring to drafts and options etc. Picks 1 and 2 are/ought to be sacrosanct. After this...all bets off..any its anything for anything if the deal is right..picks 18...34..50.. ..go for it

I see it pretty much the same way. If you want to give us a good player for a lesser pick then we will take it. If you want to pay top $$$ for a player we don't value that much we will do it, and if you have a good player out of contract we will try and screw you on it. 1&2 won't be part of the deal but we will push hard games with the rest. Who knows what we might be able to steal in this draft? We are sitting in a very nice spot when it comes to bargaining power so why not use it. If it comes to nothing, so what? But if we can steal a good player for a "who cares" pick why not?

A good example would be Delidio. Why not offer Richmond Miller and #18? We probably won't get it but if he is shitty with his lot in life they might decide that it is better than us getting him for free. Ditto several other players.

Why not use the power we have, and might not have again, to push teams? If we can make them pay top $$$ to keep a player it is still a win of sorts.

Time we were ruthless and tough. I'm sick of us being treated like the poor cousin that everyone pities. I want the rest to hate and fear us.