West Coast trading

Old Gregg

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd give up on first West Coasts pick and have a look at Hawthorn's.

Don't think this would work but i don't think its to far fetched either.

Trade our pick 18 to Freo for Tarrant. (doubtful they would go for it)

On trade Tarrant and Jamar to Hawthorn for there pick 6/7.

Hawthorn need a ruck and key backman. Jamar's toughness at the man and ball would really compliment Bailey when he comes good from his knee reco. (Jamar isn't highly rated by the footy public but im sure Hawthorn's football department could see his worth.)

With WA's dominant U18's side there must be a worthy youngster to give up an ageing Tarrant.

Melbourne could then possibly take Scully, Butcher and Rohan. While losing Jamar would hurt might help fast track Spencer and Meesen's development.

I'd give up on first West Coasts pick and have a look at Hawthorn's.

Don't think this would work but i don't think its to far fetched either.

Trade our pick 18 to Freo for Tarrant. (doubtful they would go for it)

On trade Tarrant and Jamar to Hawthorn for there pick 6/7.

Hawthorn need a ruck and key backman. Jamar's toughness at the man and ball would really compliment Bailey when he comes good from his knee reco. (Jamar isn't highly rated by the footy public but im sure Hawthorn's football department could see his worth.)

With WA's dominant U18's side there must be a worthy youngster to give up an ageing Tarrant.

Melbourne could then possibly take Scully, Butcher and Rohan. While losing Jamar would hurt might help fast track Spencer and Meesen's development.

Hawtorn would be stoopid to take that deal... They get an injury prone ruckman to match another injury prone ruckman and a full back that has a year or left and they give up pick 6 or 7. Hawthorm would be absolute nuts to do that.

And MFC would have 3 ruckman left all with big question marks on them.

Why?

Pick #6 could net you a slider in Gary Rohan, Dustin Martin, John Butcher, Morabito etc. - say Rohan for example.

Scully, Trengove, Rohan

Would be a massive coup for Melbourne - and all 3 would play Senior Football Round 1, 2010 (barring injury), and all 10 will become VERY good players for the next 10 years at least.

Sculley, Trengove, Rohan >> Sculley, Trengove, Maric

Remember: After Pick #10 this year - question marks are thrown over all the players, and it becomes extremely shallow (most shallow draft pool since 2003 IMHO).

Picks 1, 2, 6 would be ideal.

Edited by Dr Jekyl & Mr Hyde

Chris Yarran

He's hinting at Chris Yarran who was drafted by Carlton last year at Pick #6.

So can someone enlighten me? What's going on here? Did they really want him last year or something? Is he a Perth boy? It's not like he's made a Rich-like debut...

Chris Yarran is a Perth boy - who has strong family connections to Perth (ie. His father is in jail in Perth).

There have been rumours throughout the year that Yarran is unsettled in Melbourne - and many think that Carlton merely drafted Jeff Garlett to keep Chris settled (as they did with Mark Austin - Bryce Gibbs' best friend).

Although nothing has been confirmed - most clubs rated Yarran as the most talented player in last years draft pool - although he needed to maximise his potential by getting his head right.

I wouldn't. For mine Davey is a proven good player. I wouldn't ever traded proven good players for draft picks, it's too much of a risk for not that much gain, even if you're talking about a high draft pick like 6. I'd trade a young player who hasn't reached his peak yet; that way you're trading speculative for speculative, rather than proven for speculative.

Trading for high draft picks is always going to be a risk. It has to be about where a club's list is at any given time.

For instance, if Fremantle could get Hawthorn's first two picks for Sandilands, it would be speculative on the part of the dockers, but an offer they probably should accept given the state of their list. It may also given them more flexibility in looking at trades for their 2nd - 4th picks, all of which would be in the top 25. Ditto Matthew Pavlich.

We don't have any players of that caliber, much less so ones who are in the last 4-5 years of their career, and it looks like we will have picks 1 & 2, so the opportunity and incentive for Melbourne to do it is much less.

Chris Yarran is a Perth boy - who has strong family connections to Perth (ie. His father is in jail in Perth).

There have been rumours throughout the year that Yarran is unsettled in Melbourne - and many think that Carlton merely drafted Jeff Garlett to keep Chris settled (as they did with Mark Austin - Bryce Gibbs' best friend).

Although nothing has been confirmed - most clubs rated Yarran as the most talented player in last years draft pool - although he needed to maximise his potential by getting his head right.

Thanks for the information. Sorry to hear about his father.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0...5016169,00.html

From when I have seen him in the AFL/VFL, he looks silky with his skills but he did not show the attitude and commitment for the contest this year.

I trust he can get it right on and off the field.

He seemed to be highly rated for his skills last year.

From when I have seen him in the AFL/VFL, he looks silky with his skills but he did not show the attitude and commitment for the contest this year.

Yeah he was very highly rated for his skills.

But his laconic/laid back style of play seems to also direct negative responses at him (particuarly from some Carlton fans this year)

If you have a look at his highlights tape as a 17 year old player who managed to kick 40 goals from 13 seniors games in the WAFL in 2008: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X1Rzt74BAg

You can see that he clearly has the talent - he just cant seem to get it right on/or off the field for Carlton, some say its his attitude that holds him back.

Also, it doesn't help Carlton when his best friends/neighbours growing up are Nick Natanui and Michael Walters (Both of who stayed in Perth).

Edited by Dr Jekyl & Mr Hyde

I trust your sorry he has this bloke for a father and not for Malcolm himself ?? <_<

It would make a lot more sense possibly for WCE to ofer up their 2nd round pick for Yarran,keeping their first. Pick 6is stil quite handy. carlton would then gain 22...also still handy whilst unloading a problem

I don't think he's a trouble maker of any sorts - just is finding it really hard to get used to Melbourne.

Carlton will persist with him as they see the talent (and they've invested a Pick #6), afterall - he hasn't even completed a pre-season yet.

They won't take Pick #22 - which is a speculative pick of sorts in this years draft pool.

Iwould think pick 22 to be ok .. ought not peter out til after 30 or theres abnout.. Hell if they can get 6..woop de doo lol.. doubt it. Yarran strikes me as all potential..but unrealisable in foreign surrounds. I honestly suspect he would blossom in and around his 'family" they being those he grew up with and trusts /loves/likes /etc.

Think the blue baggers are pushing it uphill and would be better to cut a loss and make best of it...and sooner rather than later. This year picks may be onoffer...good luck in years to come !! ( especially next 4 )..be too late then :rolleyes:

Still..what do I care if carlton bugger it up !! :lol:

Guest JACKtheRIPPER
I don't think he's a trouble maker of any sorts - just is finding it really hard to get used to Melbourne.

Carlton will persist with him as they see the talent (and they've invested a Pick #6), afterall - he hasn't even completed a pre-season yet.

They won't take Pick #22 - which is a speculative pick of sorts in this years draft pool.

this is exactly why our first 2 picks should be victorians, its not worth the risk.

Theres a huge diference between SA and WA !!

and should we have not looked to the Far North and Middle ???

Edited by belzebub59

tell scott thompson that.
far more stay...than go... and there was more to it than just home sickness I suggest.

Its not so much really where they come from..its where their head is at.. relocation doesnt suit all, but many do just fine :)

Guest JACKtheRIPPER

why waste a number 2 pick on a croweater, they want to make sure he wants to live in victoria for the next 12yrs,thats a big ask, scott thompsons in the best 25 players in the competition now, who did we get for him, theres no way we won there,its a big risk but your seem willing to take it. :)

Iwould think pick 22 to be ok .. ought not peter out til after 30 or theres abnout.. Hell if they can get 6..woop de doo lol.. doubt it. Yarran strikes me as all potential..but unrealisable in foreign surrounds. I honestly suspect he would blossom in and around his 'family" they being those he grew up with and trusts /loves/likes /etc.

Think the blue baggers are pushing it uphill and would be better to cut a loss and make best of it...and sooner rather than later. This year picks may be onoffer...good luck in years to come !! ( especially next 4 )..be too late then :rolleyes:

Still..what do I care if carlton bugger it up !! :lol:

BB59

I think your attitude about draft picks is becoming quite common with the football public and I can't understand why....

Yarran was worth pick 6 last year but somehow his talents drops to pick 22 this year???? all draft picks are speculative but just because the guy has one year on an AFL list doesn't mean his talent has dropped that much or this years talent would be any better.... In fact Yarran would have gone higher last year because Watts wouldn't be eligible under this years rules....

The football public has been lead to believe (mainly by coaches giving hope) that draft picks and rebuilding is the way to go. You may get a superstar or you may get a dud through drafting but people are happy to throw established AFL players around for draft picks???? :wacko:

why waste a number 2 pick on a croweater, they want to make sure he wants to live in victoria for the next 12yrs,thats a big ask, scott thompsons in the best 25 players in the competition now, who did we get for him, theres no way we won there,its a big risk but your seem willing to take it.

Because he is the 2nd best player in the draft... some say he is closing the gap on Tom Scully and the same reason we took Cale Morton at 4. Not many players get home sick if you have a look at the bigger picture. i think with pick 18 we should take Panos to make him feel better about the situation

Edited by Clanger King

why waste a number 2 pick on a croweater, they want to make sure he wants to live in victoria for the next 12yrs,thats a big ask, scott thompsons in the best 25 players in the competition now, who did we get for him, theres no way we won there,its a big risk but your seem willing to take it. :)

Well it all comes down to doing due dilligence. You evaluate the kids.If after that you have a couple very reticent about moving..quite possibly , if you cant allay their prejudices, then give them a wide berth.

You cant dismiss the talent pool that is Australia wide purely on the back that a couple may not stay. You Do have to take risks, but youmanage and minimise where possible.

We wouldnt have Rivers Jamar,Meesen,....wouldnt have had Brown Dog,or the likes of Viney ..not for SA ;)

Its not to say you have to have them..its just common sense to evaluate them.