Robbo at the crossroads

beelzebub

It is always with some emotion that we have to say bye bye to great servants of the club, but unfortunatley there is no sentiment when it come to winning a flag! Do we have 22 guys on the park that can do it? You are only as good as your worst player.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robbo's future my come down to how many games we win this year. If we win less then 5 he is gone if we win more than 5 he will stay.

Robbo is either on or eligible for inclusion on the veteran's list. I dont think the number of wins will affect him.

He was a great servant during a bygone era when his style of play was, not just acceptable, rather, it was celebrated, but now I am more than happy to see him go.

I'm quite pleased that the evolution of the game has come to the point where a player like him is now obsolete.

Personally I think its fantastic. This is the game that I love.

Robbo is either on or eligible for inclusion on the veteran's list. I dont think the number of wins will affect him.

He comes off Bruce goes on creates another spot on our list. If we have pick 1,2/3, 19, 35, 51 we will take 5 players plus promote Spencer, and keep pick 1 or 2 pre season draft pick, thats 7 spots on our list that needs to be created. If we have pick 2/3, 18, 34, 52 plus Spencer and Pre season pick that is only 6 players. The other side is we have 2 veterans at the moment, if both go plus Whelan we would only have 1 player that can go onto that list, which will only create a rookie spot.

That's for two people I believe - with Bruce and Green going into their 11th season in 2010.

Out of all the senior blokes (macca, Whelan, Wheatley) on the cusp of ending it, i recon i would give Robbo the one year contract.

Cause he does take away the best defender from the VERY young forward line we will have next year, on any given day he can go crazy and nab 4-6 goals, and ofcourse he can do nothing but take the best defender, thats been Robbo for a while now and i still love the bugger!

The thing about this situation is Robbo's presence could also negatively impact the younger players, as they won't get a chance to experience a forwardline without Robbo for an entire season. The Bate's, Jurrah's and Watts'- they are the future, so they need to work it out together. Not on the back of a guy who won't be there after the following season. I understand the thinking, but personally, it'd be better to leave Robbo out of it and let the younger blokes work through it. And I might think differently, if Robbo could stand up in a contest, but everytime a ball goes near him, he falls over.

Edited by AdamFarr

The thing about this situation is Robbo's presence could also negatively impact the younger players, as they won't get a chance to experience a forwardline without Robbo for an entire season. The Bate's, Jurrah's and Watts'- they are the future, so they need to work it out together. Not on the back of a guy who won't be there after the following season. I understand the thinking, but personally, it'd be better to leave Robbo out of it and let the younger blokes work through it. And I might think differently, if Robbo could stand up in a contest, but everytime a ball goes near him, he falls over.

Fair point m8.

So say for example if robbo did leave at seasons end.

Next year what does our forward line look like come round 1?

Bate Watts Maric

Wonna Miller Jurrah

??????????? Newton

He have to give credit to Robbo, on current stats G Lyon has played 1 more game and kicked 7 more goals then Robbo, and Robbo has played in a key role since 2002, for a bloke that should have been a HFF he has acheived great things at our club and when is finishes be it this year or next he will be the MFC third highest goal kicker.

Fair enough, but Gazza was a far more self-less player than Robbo. Garry probably gave off about 200 goals. I don't think I can remember Robbo even giving off a handful in his entire career.

Fair point m8.

So say for example if robbo did leave at seasons end.

Next year what does our forward line look like come round 1?

Bate Watts Maric

Wonna Miller Jurrah

??????????? Newton

I'd have Jetta for Maric at this stage, as the former applies more pressure on the ball carrier and has an equal creativity to Maric. I'm not saying I wouldn't play Maric next year, just I'd let him earn his spot. So far this season, especially over the last few weeks, Jet has earnt his spot.

My forwardline would probably look something like this:

Petterd Bate Jetta

Wonna Watts Jurrah

I understand it's inexperienced, but working together over an entire season, with hopefully elite ball disposal from the middle, would be the perfect learning curve for me, next year. Add a Newton in there to balance up the structure, as a second tall (Bate playing the third tall role). Hopefully, we'd also have someone like a Carsile from Vic Metro to develop over the year, so I'd give him some game time, after a few rounds. Maybe even Morton or Green thrown in there. While Sylvia could rest in there as well.

Edited by AdamFarr

Fair enough, but Gazza was a far more self-less player than Robbo. Garry probably gave off about 200 goals. I don't think I can remember Robbo even giving off a handful in his entire career.

and other than laying on a stretcher I dont recall too many times Gazza was on his back watching the game go on !! <_<

Here we go again wanting to abruptly end another career of a great servant of our club.

Robbo has come back from a serious injury, he had no pre-season, he has played 10 games and is second on our goal kicking. Bate is first with 3 more goals and and 5 more games. Agreed the numbers are pathetically low but that about explains where we are. He will be 31 when he plays next year and this is not ancient in the context of some other players going around in the AFL that are still playing well.

With his limited preparation he has done remarkably well playing in a forward line that would frustrate the best given the limited opportunities he gets due to the relative small number of times the ball enters our forward 50 or the poor delivery.

It's OK to want to retire off Whelan, Wheatley and Junior but we also need some senior players to be left on the list to mentor/guide/develop the young players. A forward line with Watts, Jurrah, Wonna, Maric will also need a mix of senior players such as Robbo and Sylvia.

Like any good team we need a mix of all types of players and that includes age and experience.

I really have no problem with Robbo going on for another year. But I imagine he will really have to show the club something. As mentioned befoe its very easy to work up an argument for and against. Ultimately its up to the club and what they ( MFC ) hope to gain from the drafts /trades etc.

He will really have to worka lot harder on his defensive aspects if he wants to put his hand up to go around again. No two ways about it he's a handy forward. The areial abilities of his self as well as Liam's are a masive headache in the making for other coaches.

This year we're playing out dead rubber, playing for time..and looking to pick up good additions for the list. Next year will be 300% more fair dinkum in terms of aspirations and where the bar will be set at the club. If Robbo can convince DB & Co he's a valuable part of that, great. If not well its the end of the red and blue road.

There can be no resting on laurels and past achievements in 2010

he falls over EVERY time he goes for a mark, DELIST.

yeah...but sometimes he does still actually have the ball !!! :lol::lol::lol::rolleyes:

He comes off Bruce goes on creates another spot on our list. If we have pick 1,2/3, 19, 35, 51 we will take 5 players plus promote Spencer, and keep pick 1 or 2 pre season draft pick, thats 7 spots on our list that needs to be created. If we have pick 2/3, 18, 34, 52 plus Spencer and Pre season pick that is only 6 players. The other side is we have 2 veterans at the moment, if both go plus Whelan we would only have 1 player that can go onto that list, which will only create a rookie spot.

That's for two people I believe - with Bruce and Green going into their 11th season in 2010.

I don't think Green is eligible due to him not turning 30 until 2011. If that's the case, then Bruce goes onto the vets list and its a toss-up between McDonald and Robertson for the second spot. Since each club gets 2 vet spots, Robbo/Junior are not taking a spot away from a senior-listed kid or senior-listed player. They're just competing against each other. Unless this is not the case, then I'm in favour of keeping one of Robertson or McDonald.

Edited by pantaloons

Cause he does take away the best defender from the VERY young forward line we will have next year,

It's young, but not really VERY young.

Watts 18

Wona 20 in October.

Jetta 20 in Feb.

Maric 20 in April.

Petterd is 21 tomorrow (happy birthday!)

Jurrah is 20 going on 21 in Sept.

Bate is 22.

Martin 23 in Nov.

Newton 23 in April.

Sylvia is 23.

Miller is 26.

Davey is 26

Edit: Morton 20 in Jan

Edited by Trident

It's young, but not really VERY young.

Watts 18

Wona 20 in October.

Jetta 20 in Feb.

Maric 20 in April.

Petterd is 21 tomorrow (happy birthday!)

Jurrah is 20 going on 21 in Sept.

Bate is 22.

Martin 23 in Nov.

Netwon 23 in April.

Sylvia is 23.

Miller is 26.

Davey is 26

Edit: Morton 20 in Jan

Most are young in games though!

Here we go again wanting to abruptly end another career of a great servant of our club.

Robbo has come back from a serious injury, he had no pre-season, he has played 10 games and is second on our goal kicking. Bate is first with 3 more goals and and 5 more games. Agreed the numbers are pathetically low but that about explains where we are. He will be 31 when he plays next year and this is not ancient in the context of some other players going around in the AFL that are still playing well.

Why waste time with an older head, that has proven he lacks the leadership to foster any of our younger talent coming through? Play the kids. Besides, pre season or no pre season, his legs seem shot. Surely you've noticed this? The role he plays is one where he barely moves outside the 50. The workload for a professional athlete, with his physical output would be miniscule.

It's OK to want to retire off Whelan, Wheatley and Junior but we also need some senior players to be left on the list to mentor/guide/develop the young players. A forward line with Watts, Jurrah, Wonna, Maric will also need a mix of senior players such as Robbo and Sylvia.

I'd keep Whelan and Wheatley well before I'd keep Robbo. Paul certainly has a little bit left in him, but if they move him on, I wouldn't be surprised. Whilst, Wheels is still reasonably solid down back.

There can be no resting on laurels and past achievements in 2010

Agreed. Time to get hard on a few and stamp out the pre-Bailey culture (as most of it was rubbish).

junior, robbo, wheels and wheatley can all go, they are not part of the long term, junior only one getting a regulat game, if he wasnt captain?

It is amazing how little comment in this post in regard to the other older players. Much of what has been stated on Robbo equally applies to Wheels and Junior & fact he is captain has definitely been a factor. In the case of Junior his effectiveness in the midfield has diminished this year and will further next year as slight slowing of pace means gets caught or less effective disposals more often.

With Wheels its a case of the body starting to fail after all the years of going in hard regardless.

Of the above 4 I think Wheater is the one with the most value for 2010 as he is capable of long and accurate kicking out of defence which means Aaron can be further up field to move it into attack.

So if hard calls are to made on a few let them have farewell game possibly agains Freo (provided that MFC does not win a game before then or otherwise in Rnd 22.

It is amazing how little comment in this post in regard to the other older players. Much of what has been stated on Robbo equally applies to Wheels and Junior & fact he is captain has definitely been a factor. In the case of Junior his effectiveness in the midfield has diminished this year and will further next year as slight slowing of pace means gets caught or less effective disposals more often.

With Wheels its a case of the body starting to fail after all the years of going in hard regardless.

Of the above 4 I think Wheater is the one with the most value for 2010 as he is capable of long and accurate kicking out of defence which means Aaron can be further up field to move it into attack.

So if hard calls are to made on a few let them have farewell game possibly agains Freo (provided that MFC does not win a game before then or otherwise in Rnd 22.

Wheatley needs to go too. List clogger. The very epitome of.

But Robbo is the only one who shows consistently weak performances. If he had a heart I'd keep him.

Unfortunately for him...