Future captaincy

Guest Checker

I would like to think Flash gets his temper under control before he is considered a possibility. Too many times he just has a brain melt when the opposition targets him. If he wants to become a very good footballer he needs to understand that he is going to get tagged and he needs to not only know how to break a tag, but how to deal with it mentally.

If he were to get rid of these occasional errant snaps, then he would be just as good as any other candidate.

The captain needs to display on-field leadership as opposed to off-field leadership. This is why i think that the McDonald captaincy, whilst pulling the heart strings, was not a very good one, IMO. Unfortunately his best and worst are starting to widen at an alarming rate and should have retired last year (the game has gone well and truly past him).

Sure, it's great if a player bleeds for the club, but what's more important is on-field leadership. Players who don't display as much on-field, but are excellent off it can be put in the leadership group, as that's what it is there for.

ATM there aren't too many that spring to mind when it comes to a standout on-field leader.

Good post Disciple. Agree with all points re: Davey, McDonald.

Just one point of conjecture though- have a look at a replay of yesterdays game and tell me that Brent Moloney's leadership doesn't stand out like a beacon?

On a day when we were totally outclassed against the best midfield in the business, Moloney seemed to be the only player who stood up and said:

"I don't care if you guys are Geelong with your amazing winning record and your stars, etc etc. I'm here to play and I'm not scared of you".

Now, this might've been because of his past affiliation with Geelong, but to me it stood out so clearly that he was the only one who felt that he was equal to his opponent. Our other senior players and club-leaders in Green, Bruce, McLean, McDonald all seemed almost in awe of their midfield opponents, whereas Beamer saw them as nothing other than his peers. Although he mightn't have the talent of an Ablett or Selwood, it wasn't going to hold him back.

To do that against the best in the biz sets a high benchmark for all others around him. It's not the first time he's stood up when all others have sunk, and it's this sort of real on-field leadership which, to me, makes him #1 candidate for the job next year, in my eyes. Provided his body holds up, he could have a very successful long-term captaincy.

Reminds me a lot of Todd Viney, does Beamer, all guts, determination, passion and self-belief. Will go close to winning the B&F this year too, which will only help his case.

Brent Moloney bleeds for the club. Is that enough to get him over the line?

Brock would be the other obvious choice for the long term.

Green if we want a short-term captain.

Grimes is too young, but would be a chance if he were 21 or 22.

Moloney is a little too inconsistent for my liking. Even though Flash had one of his quieter matches yesterday, he's still head a shoulders above the rest in tersm of leadership. His tackling and chasing every week is miles above anyone else. Moloney played well yesterday, but he doesn't do it reguarly enough and I'm not sure whether it was just a matter of coming up against his old team or a sign of consistent things to come. He's not talented enough to be captain though. Flash is. As for Brock, if he is captain next year it'll be more of a joke than Macca this year. I love Macca, but I'm not convinced he should have gone around again this year. McLean showed absolutely no leadership yesterday and I can kick a football better than him. It's disappointing, because he has the ability to win a lot of in and under ball. As for Greeny, I don't really feel like talking about him at the moment, considering I can't recall him playing a worse game than yesterday. Some of his decision making, under little pressure was very poor and quite un-Green-like.

I would like to think Flash gets his temper under control before he is considered a possibility. Too many times he just has a brain melt when the opposition targets him. If he wants to become a very good footballer he needs to understand that he is going to get tagged and he needs to not only know how to break a tag, but how to deal with it mentally.

That, however I do agree on.

ATM there aren't too many that spring to mind when it comes to a standout on-field leader.

Sadly, true.

Moloney is a little too inconsistent for my liking. Even though Flash had one of his quieter matches yesterday, he's still head a shoulders above the rest in tersm of leadership. His tackling and chasing every week is miles above anyone else. Moloney played well yesterday, but he doesn't do it reguarly enough and I'm not sure whether it was just a matter of coming up against his old team or a sign of consistent things to come. He's not talented enough to be captain though. Flash is.

The captain doesn't have to be the most talented player on the list though. Take Todd Viney for example, he was never the most talented player, yet his leadership attributes could not be questioned. Beamer is similar in that regard.

If we're going to talk consistency as being a pre-requisite for captaincy, then surely that would void Flash? I knows stats aren't the be-all and end-all, but in 5 matches this year Davey's got under 20 disposals- tagged out of the game against PA, WC, Haw + StK and just 11 disposals in round 1. Yet he's also got over 30 on 5 occassions when left unattended. He's improved immensely, is so exciting to watch, and clearly our most skilled player. But i believe the gap between his best, which is elite, and his worst, which is ordinary, is still too wide, as opposed to Moloney who works within a narrower swing of form. Davey's inability to shake a tag, and his propensity to crack the shits when placed under 'niggle' is also well known, and being captain will bring with it even more scrutiny, opposition attention, and pressure to perform.

Also, IMO the captain needs to be someone who imposes himself physically on the contest. Someone to lay a big bump, smash a few bodies or stand up in a gang tackle, to inspire the troops. Davey is never going to be that type of player.

In regards to Moloney's consistency, statistically speaking, he has got over 20 disposals in all but 4 matches this year (and in one of those games against PA in Adelaide, he had 18 disposals at one point in the 2nd qtr, but got a corkie didn't come back on after 1/2 time), as well as over 30 three times. Watching him closely as I do, I'd say in just 2 matches this season he has failed to get a 'pass mark': against Brisbane a few weeks ago, and in the win against Richmond. In all other matches he's been in the bests, or at least close to it. He gets the job done with a minimum of fuss and fan-fare, wins the hard-ball for outside guys like Flash, and out of all our slow inside midfielders, he's probably the quickest, and is easily the most consistent and reliable IMO.

Edit: FWIW, Moloney v Davey, 2009 statistically.

Moloney, 15 games, 395 disposals (120 contested) @ 24.69, 79 marks. 68 tackles. 71 clearances, 56 inside 50's. 75.81% disposal efficiency. 4 goals 3 behinds.

Davey, 15 games, 373 disposals (78 contested) @ 23.31, 50 marks. 62 tackles. 30 clearances, 51 inside 50's. 76.06 disposal efficiency. 5 goals 5 behinds.

Edited by Doggo

In order of preference

1. Brent Moloney

2. Brad Green

3. Aaron Davey

4. Colin Sylvia

Nobody else is in the running, and that includes Brock.

Of the next generation, I am excited about the leadership potential of Frawley, Grimes, Watts, Jurrah and Petterd.

In order of preference

1. Brent Moloney

2. Brad Green

3. Aaron Davey

4. Colin Sylvia

Nobody else is in the running, and that includes Brock.

Of the next generation, I am excited about the leadership potential of Frawley, Grimes, Watts, Jurrah and Petterd.

Agree with that. Could maybe add Jared Rivers to that too.

Would be good for Sylvia's confidence if he were to earn a spot in the leadership group next year.

Agree with that. Could maybe add Jared Rivers to that too.

Would be good for Sylvia's confidence if he were to earn a spot in the leadership group next year.

My leadership group for 2010

Green - C

Moloney - VC

Davey

Sylvia

Warnock

Rivers

Brock just needs to concentrate on his body and playing good footy.

Grimes a year too early to be elevated, but most definitely will be there after next season.

The captain doesn't have to be the most talented player on the list though. Take Todd Viney for example, he was never the most talented player, yet his leadership attributes could not be questioned. Beamer is similar in that regard.

If we're going to talk consistency as being a pre-requisite for captaincy, then surely that would void Flash? I knows stats aren't the be-all and end-all, but in 5 matches this year Davey's got under 20 disposals- tagged out of the game against PA, WC, Haw + StK and just 11 disposals in round 1. Yet he's also got over 30 on 5 occassions when left unattended. He's improved immensely, is so exciting to watch, and clearly our most skilled player. But i believe the gap between his best, which is elite, and his worst, which is ordinary, is still too wide, as opposed to Moloney who works within a narrower swing of form. Davey's inability to shake a tag, and his propensity to crack the shits when placed under 'niggle' is also well known, and being captain will bring with it even more scrutiny, opposition attention, and pressure to perform.

Also, IMO the captain needs to be someone who imposes himself physically on the contest. Someone to lay a big bump, smash a few bodies or stand up in a gang tackle, to inspire the troops. Davey is never going to be that type of player.

In regards to Moloney's consistency, statistically speaking, he has got over 20 disposals in all but 4 matches this year (and in one of those games against PA in Adelaide, he had 18 disposals at one point in the 2nd qtr, but got a corkie didn't come back on after 1/2 time), as well as over 30 three times. Watching him closely as I do, I'd say in just 2 matches this season he has failed to get a 'pass mark': against Brisbane a few weeks ago, and in the win against Richmond. In all other matches he's been in the bests, or at least close to it. He gets the job done with a minimum of fuss and fan-fare, wins the hard-ball for outside guys like Flash, and out of all our slow inside midfielders, he's probably the quickest, and is easily the most consistent and reliable IMO.

Edit: FWIW, Moloney v Davey, 2009 statistically.

Moloney, 15 games, 395 disposals (120 contested) @ 24.69, 79 marks. 68 tackles. 71 clearances, 56 inside 50's. 75.81% disposal efficiency. 4 goals 3 behinds.

Davey, 15 games, 373 disposals (78 contested) @ 23.31, 50 marks. 62 tackles. 30 clearances, 51 inside 50's. 76.06 disposal efficiency. 5 goals 5 behinds.

I'll take on board everything, except the stats at the end. Where Aaron is being played is not necessarily his fault and does have a baring on the amount of possessions he gets. That said, if played dangerous positions, Aaron only needs 10 touches to have a major impact. Earlier in the season, when we needed a solid head, with good foot skills, we had to play Aaron down back. But now Grimes has added some poise off half back, it releases Davey into the midfield and possibly forward. Whilst, Aaron may never lay the big bump, he's the only guy I would put my life on, to be chasing week in, week out. Nobody else does it as consistently as he does and has done. That's leadership too. He does need to learn how to shrug a tag and cope with the niggle, without his constant chasing and offensive and defensive pressure we would be far worse off. The tackle comparison between he and Moloney is rather misleading, as Moloney is playing in a tight, in close position, whereas Aaron is having to do more chasing and arugably applying far more pressure than someone from our midfield. Particularly, one that gets regularly beaten in the clearances. I suppose I wouldn't mind Moloney being captain for a couple of years, but I'd replace him when a few of the younger guys mature (ie Grimes, Watts etc).

I'll take on board everything, except the stats at the end. Where Aaron is being played is not necessarily his fault and does have a baring on the amount of possessions he gets. That said, if played dangerous positions, Aaron only needs 10 touches to have a major impact. Earlier in the season, when we needed a solid head, with good foot skills, we had to play Aaron down back. But now Grimes has added some poise off half back, it releases Davey into the midfield and possibly forward. Whilst, Aaron may never lay the big bump, he's the only guy I would put my life on, to be chasing week in, week out. Nobody else does it as consistently as he does and has done. That's leadership too. He does need to learn how to shrug a tag and cope with the niggle, without his constant chasing and offensive and defensive pressure we would be far worse off. The tackle comparison between he and Moloney is rather misleading, as Moloney is playing in a tight, in close position, whereas Aaron is having to do more chasing and arugably applying far more pressure than someone from our midfield. Particularly, one that gets regularly beaten in the clearances. I suppose I wouldn't mind Moloney being captain for a couple of years, but I'd replace him when a few of the younger guys mature (ie Grimes, Watts etc).

Perfectly spoken. The feeling of ease when Davey has the ball is a sign of a great leader and player. Having said that they are both different sorts of players and it is hard to make comparisons.

Whilst, Aaron may never lay the big bump, he's the only guy I would put my life on, to be chasing week in, week out. Nobody else does it as consistently as he does and has done. That's leadership too. He does need to learn how to shrug a tag and cope with the niggle, without his constant chasing and offensive and defensive pressure we would be far worse off. The tackle comparison between he and Moloney is rather misleading, as Moloney is playing in a tight, in close position, whereas Aaron is having to do more chasing and arugably applying far more pressure than someone from our midfield. Particularly, one that gets regularly beaten in the clearances. I suppose I wouldn't mind Moloney being captain for a couple of years, but I'd replace him when a few of the younger guys mature (ie Grimes, Watts etc).

Agree on Davey's defensive pressure and chasing. He and brother Alwyn are the best in the business at chasing players down from behind. Good point regarding the tackle count. I guess I only added those stats out of interest more than anything, knowing the differences in the roles they play and the type of player they are.

Back on topic, to be honest i just hope our next captain comes from one of Moloney, Green or Davey.

With Davey, i could see our young indigenous brigade standing that little bit taller with him as their skipper. Might fast-track their development somewhat. He'd also be a fantastic marketing tool, very popular with the kids and media-friendly. Does need to learn to deal with tags and control his temper though.

Green's got the runs on the board, and would be good as a short term-option. His record speaks for itself, and if he doesn't win a B&F before the end of his career, he will just about be the best player to have never won one.

With Moloney, I a huge wrap for Beamer, always have been, and would love to see him lead us to the top once again. His form this year has been 1st class in a midfield that has floundered, and he looks to finally have got his body right. While McLean has gone backwards, Jones stagnated, Bruce much-maligned and McDonald just old, Moloney has stood up as the leader of that division.

Green's got the runs on the board, and would be good as a short term-option. His record speaks for itself, and if he doesn't win a B&F before the end of his career, he will just about be the best player to have never won one.

Yes, it is staggering to think he hasn't won the award. I'd like to see him put together 6 consistent weeks of football from here on, out and he might come back into contention for the captaincy, but he still goes missing too often for my liking.

With Moloney, I a huge wrap for Beamer, always have been, and would love to see him lead us to the top once again. His form this year has been 1st class in a midfield that has floundered, and he looks to finally have got his body right. While McLean has gone backwards, Jones stagnated, Bruce much-maligned and McDonald just old, Moloney has stood up as the leader of that division.

Yep, I agree with that. He's certainly playing the best footy of his MFC career. I hope he can begin to add a level consistency equalled to that of an AFL captain and then we'll have someone to build around. I've lost patience with McLean, whereas Bruce and Macca won't be part of our next finals bid, so Moloney would certainly be a choice that would reflect looking to the future.

Edited by AdamFarr

Aaron Davey for 3 years and then hand it over to the Warlpiri Wizard. At 18yrs of age, Liam Jurrah was captain of the Yuendumu Football club, leading guys 10-12 yrs older than himself. I know I'm biased when it comes to Liam, but few believed me when I described him 2 yrs ago as potentially the next Buddy Franklin. Liam is the complete package, and strong leadership is something which comes naturally to him. In his debut game I was not surprised at all to see him directing senior Demon players around him where to go and who to pick up. Don't get fooled by his apparent shyness off the field. It's actually a reflection of his inner strength. He speaks when he needs to.

Aaron Davey for 3 years and then hand it over to the Warlpiri Wizard. At 18yrs of age, Liam Jurrah was captain of the Yuendumu Football club, leading guys 10-12 yrs older than himself. I know I'm biased when it comes to Liam, but few believed me when I described him 2 yrs ago as potentially the next Buddy Franklin. Liam is the complete package, and strong leadership is something which comes naturally to him. In his debut game I was not surprised at all to see him directing senior Demon players around him where to go and who to pick up. Don't get fooled by his apparent shyness off the field. It's actually a reflection of his inner strength. He speaks when he needs to.

That would be a great story. Plucked from the remote outback to lead the world's oldest footy club to a premiership! ;)

I don't doubt you either, RudeBoy. I reckon LJ could do just about anything!

That would be a great story. Plucked from the remote outback to lead the world's oldest footy club to a premiership! ;)

I don't doubt you either, RudeBoy. I reckon LJ could do just about anything!

I don't doubt you either RudeBoy. I think we have been given a great gift. But I'll try to keep a lid on it. ;)