Canberra v Swans

A mate and I are travelling to Canberra next weekend. We went last year and had a great time, even with the loss and missing our flight home on the Monday (those schooners got the better of us).

Crowd was great, weather was great, footy wasn't terrible, beer was in cans and on ice. We even saw KRUDD buying the morning papers in Manuka.

Does anyone know of any functions being held on either the Saturday or Sunday nights? Last year I contacted both the club and ACT Demons and nothing was organised as the team flew back to Melbourne after the match.

Thanks.

A mate and I are travelling to Canberra next weekend. We went last year and had a great time, even with the loss and missing our flight home on the Monday (those schooners got the better of us).

Crowd was great, weather was great, footy wasn't terrible, beer was in cans and on ice. We even saw KRUDD buying the morning papers in Manuka.

Does anyone know of any functions being held on either the Saturday or Sunday nights? Last year I contacted both the club and ACT Demons and nothing was organised as the team flew back to Melbourne after the match.

Thanks.

The Canberra supporters group is not really big enough to host a function. Plus in the past the team has gone stright from the ground to the airport to fly home.

Melbourne supporters usually go to the Eastlake Club after the game as its only about 300m from the ground.

See youse all there maybe

Flight leaves in 2 1/2 hours. Gotta love cheap flights on Tiger.

Looking forward to the following:

Seeing how MacKenzie goes on debut, have enjoyed what I've seen with Casey.

Watching Jurrah live (again).

Beer in cans on ice (stubby holder packed).

Watching Mickey O one last time (he's belted us a few times).

Watching Kirk and Bolton do the hard stuff (wish they played for us).

The sun shining (I think we have little chance of this).

I think we'll spend tonight at Eastlakes and tomorrow night at the pub up the road (can't remember it's name but did we get smashed last year).

Probably the most traumatic travelling experience I've ever had with flights being cancelled and delayed and busses not coming!

I will pray to the lord that we don't play in Canberra again cos it was pretty awful! And by the sounds of things from the locals, I reckon that today's match really would have been the last AFL game they will have there. There is just no interest.

Literally the highlight of my trip was the buffet breakfast this morning :)

If the guy who did the quarter time announcements did them at the G there'd probably only be 7,311 as well.

He was shocking! Epic weekend though, really enjoyed knocking back a few coldies up on the hill on the coldest day ever. Liked the ground though. Liked bolting halfway around the ground to cheer Wrecker's goal

Edited by 45hotgod

Anyone know if we have a Canberra game next year? I went today and wasn't impressed. Just a Sydney home game. Not an AFL atmoshpere.

Melbourne's push into Canberra has been 'half-arsed'. Better off investing in Casey as a boutique stadium IMO.

I don't think it was half arsed at all. In complete contrast I think the club knew exactly what the situation was and that they'd get 300K guaranteed for very little outlay. Even if they'd gone full-tilt there'd be little reward as the Kangaroos discovered.

If I was a betting man I'd be putting the house on us playing in Darwin rather than Canberra. It makes more sense financially and in terms of building a supporter base. It's unlikely Darwin will get it's own team and we have six Territorians on our list.

Beyond a preseason match I can't see any AFL matches being fixtured at Manuka. The AFL wants the ACT Govt to double it's financial contribution and I just can't see them doing it. The only team that really wants to play in Canberra is the Swans (because they pull a strong following from Canberra and the surrounding regions when they're doing well) but they only want to play away games here (Hello Eddie Maguire) Drawing crowds of under 10k is hardly going to convince the Govt that it's money well spent.

AFL in Canberra relies heavily on people travelling from Sydney and the Riverina to support the matches. Considering the weather and the genuine lack of interest even from the clubs - 7k is about all you could expect.

I think everyone needs to understand that if the weather is going to be raining and cold, no Canberran will go out to a sporting event. Why go outside when they televise it live. Happens with the Brumbies and the Raiders. It happened earlier this year with the dogs v swans. I would bet my house on it if it was sunny and 20 degrees, 12k crowd at least.

Edited by caco demon