Juice Newton- Criticisms, Comments and Kudos

Biffinator

Things to consider:

1. Newton is 21 years old

2. Newton is 91 kg's, still very underdeveloped for a tall forward. He should be aiming for 96-98kg at least, so he is still 3-4 years away from hitting his optimal weight where he will reach his peak physically, also around the same time he should be maturing mentally.

3. Newton took 3 contested marks inside 50, compared to 1 contested mark for the whole team in round 1 (which was on the half back flank).

4. 'Newton is lazy' is a myth perpetrated by idiots on this site. He chases, tackles and bumps harder than any other tall forward in our side.

5. We have won every single match this year that Newton has played. "No Newton = No Melbourne".

Keep up the good work Juice.

WTF?

And RR: If the 1st qtr is a draw then surely the third is too, and the last saw some cheapies from the Tigers when the game was done.

So does that mean the breakdown of the qtrs are: Demons 1 - 0 Tigers with 3 'no decisions'? (to steal a baseball term)

I love semantical arguments as much as the next bloke but we won the first qtr.

You can only play the rabble your up against...

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think his point is that you said he played well and had a poor display in the same post.

Giving him credit and then cancelling that credit.

Hazy.

I see. Well let's make it perfectly clear:

Newton played his best game for Melbourne last weekend.

It was still nowhere near good enough and his usual shortcomings were all too obvious. This is not even taking his poor accuracy into account.

The fact that it was a personal best is, in many ways, more a cause for indictment than for plaudits, particularly as he showed about 1/10th as much effort/commitment as Miller.

But yeah, it was his best game so far. So, well done Newton, I guess.

If that's still too ambiguous for some, then they can refer to my earlier "ghost train" comment for further edification.

P.S. Newton is older than Matthew Bate and was drafted in the same year (albeit 30 spots earlier).

I see. Well lets make it perfectly clear:

It was still nowhere near good enough and his usual shortcomings were all too obvious. This is not even taking his poor accuracy into account.

The fact that it was a personal best is, in many ways, more a cause for indictment than for plaudits, particularly as he showed about 1/10th as much effort/commitment as Miller.

If that's still too ambiguous for some, then they can refer to my earlier "ghost train" comment for further edification.

P.S. Newton is older than Matthew Bate and was drafted in the same year (albeit 30 spots earlier).

WTF?

Haydo has gone, ridiculously, to one extreme. And Hazy has gone, cynically, to the other extreme.

I mean, seriously, last sunday was an indictment on Newton?!

That's it, i'm going to bed...

WTF?

Haydo has gone, ridiculously, to one extreme. And Hazy has gone, cynically, to the other extreme.

I mean, seriously, last sunday was an indictment on Newton?!

That's it, i'm going to bed...

Like I said, last Sunday was his best game. That deserves some grudging recognition even from a "cynic" like me.

Unfortunately, in Newton's case, "best game" does not an "impressive game" make.

You could line me up against Adelaide next week and I could play the best damn game of my life but it would still look woefully inadequate.

(On the other hand, I would at least show some modica of courage and commitment).

WTF?

Get over Juice this is surely his family writing this crap !

And RR: If the 1st qtr is a draw then surely the third is too, and the last saw some cheapies from the Tigers when the game was done.

So does that mean the breakdown of the qtrs are: Demons 1 - 0 Tigers with 3 'no decisions'? (to steal a baseball term)

he is useless one hit wonder who needs to grow up and drop the attitude and chip on his shoulder

he is useless one hit wonder who needs to grow up and drop the attitude and chip on his shoulder

and i dont understand why we all talkign about him whilst there are some great players in melbourne who have thier hearts in the club. I give him till the end of the year his contract should never been reinstated 2 years ago we all know that. AND we all know the attitude thing is not a myth im sorry but you can see on the ground he is lazy and his heart is not in it. I have been following the dees for 30 years now and know the in's and out's with reference to people within the club and its a known fact about his poor attitude

Bate was drafted at pick number 13, Newton was drafted 30 spots later at pick 43.

Newton and Bate are both 21. Newton turns 22 next weekend, Bate turns 22 next month.

Bate has played 48 games for 40 goals, while Newton has played only 16 games for 23 goals.

Tall forwards are normally given a few years to establish themselves, and he has shown some ability. Everyone should stop carrying on because he is going to be given oppertunities over the season and if he shows what he showed on Sunday, a contract extension. If not he doesn't deserve it, but there is no explanation for why everyone seems to loath him so.

No. The third and fourth quarter were definite wins for the Tigers as MFC faded and tired more as the game went on. After a blitzing 2nd quarter.

Demons won the 2nd qtr copmprehensively. The Tigers won the final two. The first qtr was anybodies. What a pathetic standard by both sides. Its unbelievable that MFC only kicked 2.6. What a waste of an opportunity.

"You can only play the rabble your up against..." - Tell that to St Kilda and Geelong who play to their standard. Your comments a cop out.

Well put.

Things to consider:

4. 'Newton is lazy' is a myth perpetrated by idiots on this site. He chases, tackles and bumps harder than any other tall forward in our side.

Oh dear.

About as much a myth as the Tigers Board not being fully behind Wallet. You need to get out more.

No. The third and fourth quarter were definite wins for the Tigers as MFC faded and tired more as the game went on. After a blitzing 2nd quarter.

Demons won the 2nd qtr copmprehensively. The Tigers won the final two. The first qtr was anybodies. What a pathetic standard by both sides. Its unbelievable that MFC only kicked 2.6. What a waste of an opportunity.

"You can only play the rabble your up against..." - Tell that to St Kilda and Geelong who play to their standard. Your comments a cop out.

We ARE a rabble too...

The third was a definite win? On what basis; they kicked 4.1 and we kicked 3.4, I can't stand this semantical argument...

We won two qtrs and they won two qtrs.

Done.

Argument over.

Settled.

Bate was drafted at pick number 13, Newton was drafted 30 spots later at pick 43.

Newton and Bate are both 21. Newton turns 22 next weekend, Bate turns 22 next month.

Bate has played 48 games for 40 goals, while Newton has played only 16 games for 23 goals.

Tall forwards are normally given a few years to establish themselves, and he has shown some ability. Everyone should stop carrying on because he is going to be given oppertunities over the season and if he shows what he showed on Sunday, a contract extension. If not he doesn't deserve it, but there is no explanation for why everyone seems to loath him so.

He has already had a few years. He was drafted in 2004.

If he has not played many games, it is because he showed what he showed last Sunday - he doesn't want it enough. This is the primary explanation for why people loathe him. That, and also because our forward line is weak, he teased us with a good mark in 2007 (which is why the nuff nuffs all love him), and we haven't won a premiership since 1964.

Travis Cloke was taken at pick 39 (father/son) in 2004 - is he old enough to criticise yet?

I'd like to say well done to Juice. Remember he's only 22 with 17 games. Just under 2 years to go in his contract. Hope you do well Juice. Your time is now....Grab a game by the scruff and shut up a few of the richmond supporters in here.

If he has not played many games, it is because he showed what he showed last Sunday - he doesn't want it enough. This is the primary explanation for why people loathe him. That, and also because our forward line is weak, he teased us with a good mark in 2007 (which is why the nuff nuffs all love him), and we haven't won a premiership since 1964.

Travis Cloke was taken at pick 39 (father/son) in 2004 - is he old enough to criticise yet?

Nuffie ^

Things to consider:

1. Newton is 21 years old

2. Newton is 91 kg's, still very underdeveloped for a tall forward. He should be aiming for 96-98kg at least, so he is still 3-4 years away from hitting his optimal weight where he will reach his peak physically, also around the same time he should be maturing mentally.

3. Newton took 3 contested marks inside 50, compared to 1 contested mark for the whole team in round 1 (which was on the half back flank).

5. We have won every single match this year that Newton has played. "No Newton = No Melbourne".

Keep up the good work Juice.

Haydo is correct.

If Juice hgets to the 50-100 game portion of his career and he hasnt improved, then it will be open season.

As of now, he is 21 and has played less than 20 games.

I think if he works hard at training and listens to coaches, then we will be in for a treat.

Haydo is correct.

If Juice hgets to the 50-100 game portion of his career and he hasnt improved, then it will be open season.

I think if he works hard at training and listens to coaches, then we will be in for a treat.

Where does he fit on your little list there, Ooze?

He was taken as a project player, always known that he had talent, but whether he could put it all together at afl level was questionable.

He made his debut just over two seasons ago (round 3, 2007), and has played 17 of 46 games since then. He spent 3 months on the sidelines with a knee injury last year. In his first season at the club (2006) we had neitz and robbo and miller player as KP forwards, and bate was getting games also. Not a lot of spots left for a young KPP.

F/S selections should never be compared to anyone. However Cloke has turned out so far to be a reasonable forward who cant kick reliably. He was always considered the best of the cloke brothers, and from a young age was touted as AFL standard. Cloke has played 78 games and kicked 95 goals after debuting in 2005. Even though he is a similar age to Newton he has played a lot more senior footy and has longer to adapt.

Newton Hooked On Winning Feeling

Haydo is correct.

He has had ample opporunity to shine but he doesnt listen that is the problem it all comes back to his lack of maturity and the chip he wears on his shoulder. Hi is lazy ask anyone around the club

Haydo is correct.

So let's give Weetra another 48 games?

He was taken as a project player, always known that he had talent, but whether he could put it all together at afl level was questionable.

He made his debut just over two seasons ago (round 3, 2007), and has played 17 of 46 games since then. He spent 3 months on the sidelines with a knee injury last year. In his first season at the club (2006) we had neitz and robbo and miller player as KP forwards, and bate was getting games also. Not a lot of spots left for a young KPP.

F/S selections should never be compared to anyone. However Cloke has turned out so far to be a reasonable forward who cant kick reliably. He was always considered the best of the cloke brothers, and from a young age was touted as AFL standard. Cloke has played 78 games and kicked 95 goals after debuting in 2005. Even though he is a similar age to Newton he has played a lot more senior footy and has longer to adapt.

Newton Hooked On Winning Feeling

Newton is no good because he hasn't played enough senior footy?

OR

Newton hasn't played enough senior footy because he is no good?

You say that when he was drafted, it was questionable whether he could put it together at AFL level. I think that he answered that question prior to his last contract renewal. Unfortunatley, the club did not see it the same way as me.

edit: Just read the linked article. Some highlights include:

"I played a couple of games in the pre-season and I was unlucky to miss out early"

No, a place in the team is not your birthright.

"I've just got to be more confident with my goalkicking – that's the main area for me to work on"

Wrong again.

"It was good to get my hands on the ball inside 50"

It was good that I didn't have to make my own opportunities. Finally, those other bozos gave me the chance to show how great I am.

"Personally, I ran out of legs a little bit, but it was good the boys were able to finish out the game...I had a pretty good pre-season and I didn't miss much at all – if any"

I'm actually even better than you think - it's just that I am not fit enough (which is why the final quarter was the worst for the team). I am not fit enough because I don't train very hard.

"I feel comfortable if I'm working hard"

I do not work hard enough to make myself uncomfortable. I'm happy in my comfort zone.

(Yeah ok, pretty harsh)

Guest JACKtheRIPPER
Newton is no good because he hasn't played enough senior footy?

OR

Newton hasn't played enough senior footy because he is no good?

You say that when he was drafted, it was questionable whether he could put it together at AFL level. I think that he answered that question prior to his last contract renewal. Unfortunatley, the club did not see it the same way as me.

are you back champ. :wacko:

Newton Deserves to play against Adelaide & Geelong. I liked his game & he needs to be shown some cofidence by the Coach. Practise kicking under pressure. Miller & Newton both create opportunities for the crumbers if they don't mark it. I would keep him close to goal in the next few weeks. Give him a real chance to kick a few.

At least Newton made a contest when our ball was delievered in our forward 50, and a target to. Not a big target, but a target at least. Deserves to play against the crows this week, and will. Just needs to be more confident with his goal kicking and set shots.