Our Foward line against Richmond

Deano74

My only wish this week is to see Green play up forward all game and kick 4 or 5.

He's a good lead and Mark and is our best kick, the only one in the side I have total faith that he will kick them.

After last weeks game would like to see Bennell swung forward to rove some goals.

My only wish this week is to see Green play up forward all game and kick 4 or 5.

He's a good lead and Mark and is our best kick, the only one in the side I have total faith that he will kick them.

After last weeks game would like to see Bennell swung forward to rove some goals.

I don't think we can expect too much of Bennell by throwing him forward after he has only played a couple of games in a succusfel Half back/midfield sweeper. I hope Green continues his sharp-shooting and kick another few. I also expect Bate and Miller to kick 2-3 each, hopefully Davey and Bruce can kick a couple also, and also Maric if he plays.

If the players above can get the recuired goals we will win.

I don't think we can expect too much of Bennell by throwing him forward after he has only played a couple of games in a succusfel Half back/midfield sweeper. I hope Green continues his sharp-shooting and kick another few. I also expect Bate and Miller to kick 2-3 each, hopefully Davey and Bruce can kick a couple also, and also Maric if he plays.

If the players above can get the recuired goals we will win.

I dont see why putting Bennell foward would be a problem, He has nice skills and only has to be in the right spot when the ball hits the ground. Never fazed Rioli in his first year. Without Wona at the moment theres no one swooping on the ball for us and kicking goals.

I dont see why putting Bennell foward would be a problem, He has nice skills and only has to be in the right spot when the ball hits the ground. Never fazed Rioli in his first year. Without Wona at the moment theres no one swooping on the ball for us and kicking goals.

Well, I guess that this is where Jetta needs to step up. Jetta should and will become that sort of player. I still think Bennell is suited to more of an Andrew McLeod/ Peter Burgoyne sort of role running through the centre and out of defence and kicking long goals.

Green Miller Maric

Petterd Bate Martin

That way if we bomb it in long and high as per usual - we will have some chance of marking the ball.

I hope Martin plays in the forward line for once. There has been so much speculation about Martin being a forward, but it seems that he never has much time actually playing in the forward line.

I hope Martin plays in the forward line for once. There has been so much speculation about Martin being a forward, but it seems that he never has much time actually playing in the forward line.

Definately worth a try, has taken some great pack marks in recent weeks, depends on how accurate he would be in front of goal, may have been an option till Garland got injured though.

Definately worth a try, has taken some great pack marks in recent weeks, depends on how accurate he would be in front of goal, may have been an option till Garland got injured though.

With Garland injured or what is likely to be most of the season, Martin won't play up forward. With Frawley, Rivers and Warnock I think he MAY be a slight chance to get a crack down there, but I don't see it happening, not that I wouldn't mind if he did. I would actually like to see him run with Richo for the game. I'd back him in around the ground a bit better than any of our other key backs.

Green Miller Maric

Petterd Bate Martin

That way if we bomb it in long and high as per usual - we will have some chance of marking the ball.

Hi guys,

I think that sounds a fair forward line set up to take on Richmond. The most disappointing thing with Bate particularly and to a lesser extent Miller is this. When the opposition lock us down in our forward half that is dry up the scoring options and fill in the gaps for us to lead into THEY STOP MOVING. Have you ever closely monitored Bate when this occurs.As Dennis Commetti would say he " operates in a phone box" which can be applied in general terms to the parameters Bate uses. He only works about 10 meters of the forward line. When someone gets in the hole in front of him he tries to fly over the top and more often than not gives up a free kick. This cant happen against Richmond because they love to zone off and back into the holes. If you have ever watched Chris Newman closely he often gets lost on long searching leeds because one he lacks a bit of pace and two he has trouble changing direction. This was none the more evident than at Etihad on Sunday when he had to do so and tweaked his groin. Play him into the space and lead and change direction on that lead.

Moore is a different proposition he is agile and slight with good speed but something I have noticed about him is that he goes around on a wide ark. By this I mean that often he doesn't go the direct root to the ball. he is often goal side of his man like you should be, but instead of cutting the line to the ball down he goes the long way around and has to bring up the rear. He lacks a little tactical smart and his strength is to run of his man when he has the space and the time. Maybe Miller could use his strength to exploit his lack of strength one on one. We cant get locked into a run and chase contest with him because he will eat us. Lock him into the forward 50 and isolate him one on one.

Jake King in my opinion reached his peak as an AFL footballer in his break out year in 2007. At his best he is tough, tenacious and uncompromising. When pressured he leaks skill errors and costs his team on the score board through calamitous turnovers. This maybe suggests that his time at AFL is limited and his place in the side was made through hard work rather than ability.He reminds me of our own Woewodin who worked so assiduously to reach the height of the Brownlow medal, but was found wanting when his pace declined and his skills were compromised by players crushing his left side and hemming him into places where he found it hard to create the play. Run and rebound is King's game. He loves to kick the ball to space primarily because his skills errors are less glaring and that he does not have to be as precise by foot. I suspect our small forward will play on him, and the go is to push him back to the goal line and lead to the pocket or deep inside the latter 15 meters of the arc. Once he is in this position he is out of his comfort zone and more to likely mark errors. A the top of the square these are going to cost Richmond where he cant kick to space.

I hope the coach shows the forwards DVDs of Robbo on the lead. If you watch he has success against the tigers because he makes multiple lead, blocks, moves at different angles and when beaten in the air attempts to rove the marking contest. Most of all he locks the ball into the forward 50. If we can keep the ball in there it is going to make things a lot easier for Clint Bartram to do his job shutting of Deledios supply of half back and impeding his route to the ball from the back end of the square. Delidios kick range is from the back end of the centre square to centre half forward. Once he had disposed of the ball he pushes forward much like Davey does for us. He is dangerous because of his speed, and the multiple efforts he can put in through endurance. We saw on the weekend that he loathes the close tag, something he rarely had to deal with at TAC cup level because of his pace compared to the other kids. Now he can be shut down by:

(a) Running with him closely at all times pressuring his kick and forcing him into error when at the half back line.

(B) Ensuring we get him on the rebound on the opposite side of the ground as he tends to attack the members wing at the MCG.

When Deledio is beaten like he was with Picken on the weekend he spectates, that is he becomes the second to the ball, second to the contest and watched the play unfold instead of attacking it. The bulldogs identified that much of beating him as an opponent is psychological rather than ability determined. When let loose there are few who can match deledio for pace, endurance and impact on the game within a short period of time. Get inside his head to start and you have the best chance of shutting him down. Rather than sacrifice you star midfielder to psychologically impugn him, run a tagger with him and banter with him constantly chiding him psychologically until he breaks.

Just some thoughts. Some may feel its [censored], some may agree. Either way I know these are some of the starting points to beating Terry's toothless tiger sat the weekend.

Green has been wasted for many years not playing full forward maybe it had to do with the big boy in the number 9 jumper at the time but he is not there now.

I remember going to the games when green started and i said to my dad he leades and marks just like loyed or grass whatever you want to call him but it just has stoped there.

He is in my opinion could have kicked nealy 100 but neale could have stufed it up and bailes has not changed anything.

With Garland injured or what is likely to be most of the season, Martin won't play up forward. With Frawley, Rivers and Warnock I think he MAY be a slight chance to get a crack down there, but I don't see it happening, not that I wouldn't mind if he did. I would actually like to see him run with Richo for the game. I'd back him in around the ground a bit better than any of our other key backs.

I agree that they need a tall presence down back now that Garland is out, but I think Martin still has the potential to develop into a key forward. Playing him on Richo around the ground would be great and interesting to see, I reckon Rivers may match up on Richardson for a while. Nathan Brown could be a possibility for Martin to play on, as he did well on someone of a similar phisyque in Ebert.

Hi guys,

I think that sounds a fair forward line set up to take on Richmond. The most disappointing thing with Bate particularly and to a lesser extent Miller is this. When the opposition lock us down in our forward half that is dry up the scoring options and fill in the gaps for us to lead into THEY STOP MOVING. Have you ever closely monitored Bate when this occurs.As Dennis Commetti would say he " operates in a phone box" which can be applied in general terms to the parameters Bate uses. He only works about 10 meters of the forward line. When someone gets in the hole in front of him he tries to fly over the top and more often than not gives up a free kick. This cant happen against Richmond because they love to zone off and back into the holes. If you have ever watched Chris Newman closely he often gets lost on long searching leeds because one he lacks a bit of pace and two he has trouble changing direction. This was none the more evident than at Etihad on Sunday when he had to do so and tweaked his groin. Play him into the space and lead and change direction on that lead.

Moore is a different proposition he is agile and slight with good speed but something I have noticed about him is that he goes around on a wide ark. By this I mean that often he doesn't go the direct root to the ball. he is often goal side of his man like you should be, but instead of cutting the line to the ball down he goes the long way around and has to bring up the rear. He lacks a little tactical smart and his strength is to run of his man when he has the space and the time. Maybe Miller could use his strength to exploit his lack of strength one on one. We cant get locked into a run and chase contest with him because he will eat us. Lock him into the forward 50 and isolate him one on one.

Jake King in my opinion reached his peak as an AFL footballer in his break out year in 2007. At his best he is tough, tenacious and uncompromising. When pressured he leaks skill errors and costs his team on the score board through calamitous turnovers. This maybe suggests that his time at AFL is limited and his place in the side was made through hard work rather than ability.He reminds me of our own Woewodin who worked so assiduously to reach the height of the Brownlow medal, but was found wanting when his pace declined and his skills were compromised by players crushing his left side and hemming him into places where he found it hard to create the play. Run and rebound is King's game. He loves to kick the ball to space primarily because his skills errors are less glaring and that he does not have to be as precise by foot. I suspect our small forward will play on him, and the go is to push him back to the goal line and lead to the pocket or deep inside the latter 15 meters of the arc. Once he is in this position he is out of his comfort zone and more to likely mark errors. A the top of the square these are going to cost Richmond where he cant kick to space.

I hope the coach shows the forwards DVDs of Robbo on the lead. If you watch he has success against the tigers because he makes multiple lead, blocks, moves at different angles and when beaten in the air attempts to rove the marking contest. Most of all he locks the ball into the forward 50. If we can keep the ball in there it is going to make things a lot easier for Clint Bartram to do his job shutting of Deledios supply of half back and impeding his route to the ball from the back end of the square. Delidios kick range is from the back end of the centre square to centre half forward. Once he had disposed of the ball he pushes forward much like Davey does for us. He is dangerous because of his speed, and the multiple efforts he can put in through endurance. We saw on the weekend that he loathes the close tag, something he rarely had to deal with at TAC cup level because of his pace compared to the other kids. Now he can be shut down by:

(a) Running with him closely at all times pressuring his kick and forcing him into error when at the half back line.

(B) Ensuring we get him on the rebound on the opposite side of the ground as he tends to attack the members wing at the MCG.

When Deledio is beaten like he was with Picken on the weekend he spectates, that is he becomes the second to the ball, second to the contest and watched the play unfold instead of attacking it. The bulldogs identified that much of beating him as an opponent is psychological rather than ability determined. When let loose there are few who can match deledio for pace, endurance and impact on the game within a short period of time. Get inside his head to start and you have the best chance of shutting him down. Rather than sacrifice you star midfielder to psychologically impugn him, run a tagger with him and banter with him constantly chiding him psychologically until he breaks.

Just some thoughts. Some may feel its [censored], some may agree. Either way I know these are some of the starting points to beating Terry's toothless tiger sat the weekend.

Dangerous - great run down - onforward it to DB!!

I think Martin may play on Richo, the only one who has the athleticism and height to go with him. Look out for Warnock and Rivers to have big games. Rivers will help out whoever is on Richo when he drifts forward. Frawley to take Nathan Brown.

Agree with Green %100. Best mark, lead and kick for goal in the team. Bennell however will be the new Mcleod. Leave him down back.

We tend to have most of our fwds stop moving at points during games, it is very frustrating to see. I have not hadmuch time for Bater for awhile now but this season he is leading well up the ground, most of his possetions against the pies were earned up on centre wing and through the centre of the ground leading up marks and then pushing hard (slowly) back into the fwd 50.

Russell Robertson would likely kick more goals from a wheelchair this weekend than any other Demon forward with the exception of Brad Green. I look forward to his return, even if it is only to make watching Melbourne a little more entertaining/bearable while we go through this phase.

Newton on his own merits probably doesn't desire a game in the senior side (yet anyway).

However, I think he can still offer the current side a fair bit in terms of forward line structure in having another key target (so far having P Johnson up forward in patches isn't adding much); allowing Miller and Bate more freedom to play further away from the goal square to where they're more naturally placed on the half-forward line pushing up the ground, and; another key forward will create more crumbing opportunities and therefore a better crumbing game for the Jettas and Daveys in the side to capitalize on.

If he can kick a couple of goals that would be great too...

HF: Bate........Miller.........Davey

F: Sylvia......Newton......Jetta/Maric