Burgos Phantom Draft 08

Mousey

Revisted youtube footage of Schoemakers, Lynch and Strauss.

For me, Strauss was the most impressive. Holds his feet, good centre of gravity good, skills and carries the ball well, reminds me a little bit of a Marc Murphy/Brock McLean type of footballer.

Not to mention that three times he kicked it to Watts for three goals in the footage I saw.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the list of injuries our midfield already carries I can't see us picking Swift, but who knows? Looking forward to this draft being over

Watts

Schoenmakers

Strauss

Roughead

Redden

Yes, god yes. I want my life back!

Having trouble concentrating on much else, don't know what's got a hold of me this year.

If we don't take Swift and he's available at 17 I'll be physically ill. Sure it's a bit of a risk, but guess what, we need to take a little risk to potentially get a star. And a little luck of course. He's had one reco, but so has Lynch and Vickery. The other injury was to the opposite leg and not as serious. Obviously it's not ideal, but the reward is worth any risk considering our circumstances.

If we don't take Watts at 1 I reckon that will probably be it for me.

Don't know much about Lynch. Does anyone know why he has listed Shoenmakers as a medium forward at 193.4cm while Lynch is a tall forward at 191.7. I have heard that many don't consider Shoenmakers a KP, more a third tall. Is Lynch stronger? better overhead?, bigger bodied? I understand the way you play can be the diff in being considered tall, medium or small regardless of height, just wondering what it is about Lynch that has him considered a tall.

Personally I'd take Mckernan, Brown, Shoenmakers or Lisle before Lynch but only because I don't know much about him. And I agree with the almost consensus, if Swift is there at 17 grab him before WC do.

Revisted youtube footage of Schoemakers, Lynch and Strauss.

For me, Strauss was the most impressive. Holds his feet, good centre of gravity good, skills and carries the ball well, reminds me a little bit of a Marc Murphy/Brock McLean type of footballer.

Not to mention that three times he kicked it to Watts for three goals in the footage I saw.

Mclean rips it out of the pack, quick hands to Grimes, Grimes bursts out of the centre, chips it to Strauss running by who spots Watts on the chest, he plays on, turns right then left, leaves Scarlett in his wake and drills it on the left from 55 You little beauty!!

Or more simply, Mclean grabs it, shrugs a tackle hurries the kick toward CHF, WATTTSSS, Massive grab turns takes one step, GGGOOOAAALLLLL! Magnificent, the kids on fire.

If we don't take Swift and he's available at 17 I'll be physically ill. Sure it's a bit of a risk, but guess what, we need to take a little risk to potentially get a star. And a little luck of course. He's had one reco, but so has Lynch and Vickery. The other injury was to the opposite leg and not as serious. Obviously it's not ideal, but the reward is worth any risk considering our circumstances.

If we don't take Watts at 1 I reckon that will probably be it for me.

Nat is a much bigger possibility than people here think, I wouldn't be saying things like that.

I just hope that if we do choose to take Naitanui, that we know for a fact that he won't be asking for a trade home in 3 years time, because I have no doubt that if we pick him, it will be because we absolutely think that he's best available and will develop into a great talent.

Our recruiters watch more junior footy than any of us, they talk to the players and their ex-coaches and their doctors, so at the end of the day we need to trust that whoever they pick at number one, is who they believe is the standout, and that things like marketability have absolutely no influence on their decision.

I want a star player, not a marketing machine. A star player will bring us success, and there is no better way to market our club than to be successful. If the club thinks Naitanui is the man to bring us that success, than I'll welcome their choice with an open mind and a lot of hope.

(and we better take Watts! ;))

If the club thinks Naitanui is the man to bring us that success, than I'll welcome their choice with an open mind and a lot of hope.

(and we better take Watts! ;))

Very pragmatic and very noble. Maximised with a healthy dose of 'little choice'.

I won't be so magnanimous.

Very pragmatic and very noble. Maximised with a healthy dose of 'little choice'.

I won't be so magnanimous.

Of course I'll be disappointed if we pass up on Watts, but I can't compare my knowledge of these kids to that of our recruiting team.

I'd have to trust their decision because they would have spent practically the last year looking and researching their picks. Their balls are on the line here as well.

And even if we end up making the wrong decision (and who knows, we may get Watts, and end up missing out on the biggest freak the game has ever seen), I'll still support this club and buy memberships and go to games because I'm a sucker for punishment and a sucker for this club (and you are too!).

Besides, this is hardly the first or last draft we're likely to screw up.

If we choose either Watts or Naitanui I'll be happy. Watts has been widely discussed and we all know that he's a great talent. Naitanui is really hard to get a handle on, so you'd have to back in the recruiting staff. Pinpointing Naitanui is too hard for me to do, but it's Barry's job to do just that. If Naita develops then there is no equal to what he can achieve, but will he?

I won't be physically ill with either of them. Actually I've got a big Friday night planned so at 10am I could be throwing up anyway.

Been having a look at Tom Lynch on youtube.. he may be a few cm shorter than most KPF but i like the way he goes about his footy & throws his body in there.

I can understand why he's seen as a "tall forward" as opposed to a "medium forward". He just doesn't look like a flanker.

Can't say i'd be unhappy with him, i'm just worried about who we'd pass up though.

Get the feeling he fits what Bailey would find most desirable in a player - desire & footy smarts. Once again, can't say I disagree really.

And even if we end up making the wrong decision (and who knows, we may get Watts, and end up missing out on the biggest freak the game has ever seen), I'll still support this club and buy memberships and go to games because I'm a sucker for punishment and a sucker for this club (and you are too!).

Besides, this is hardly the first or last draft we're likely to screw up.

I've supported (and fought for) this club since 1970, but if they fark up the opportunity to recruit Watts it will be the end for me. My love has never been unconditional and I've always been clear about this. A flag is all that matters and Watts is the best chance for a star we've had in 40 years - not a ruckman with freak ability. Fraser, White, and Gardner are former no.1 draft picks. The Fijian is very different, but still a ruckman. I don't want one as numer one... well, not when Watts is on the menu.

Btw, I'll always buy a membership. I hate soft corks who give excuses in this regard.

I've supported (and fought for) this club since 1970, but if they fark up the opportunity to recruit Watts it will be the end for me. My love has never been unconditional and I've always been clear about this. A flag is all that matters and Watts is the best chance for a star we've had in 40 years - not a ruckman with freak ability. Fraser, White, and Gardner are former no.1 draft picks. The Fijian is very different, but still a ruckman. I don't want one as numer one... well, not when Watts is on the menu.

Btw, I'll always buy a membership. I hate soft corks who give excuses in this regard.

How can you be so sure of this without studying these players to the extreme like MFC's recruiters have?

I think its pretty arrogant to think you'd know better. There is a lot of hype around Watts, but thats all it is.

I do agree with you, but surely you have to concede that they would have a better idea than any of us supporters.

yeh well if we got Naitanui then we wouldnt be picking up Roughead at pick 19 so if thats the case, i would like Naitanui

That's actually disturbingly true. If they pass up on Watts at 1 because of the predicted order of 17 + 19, then that would be a stuff-up equal to a Milne snap over the head in the goal square that goes out of bounds on the full... Overcomplicating an issue that should be straighforward.

I've supported (and fought for) this club since 1970, but if they fark up the opportunity to recruit Watts it will be the end for me. My love has never been unconditional and I've always been clear about this.

Seriously? I reckon this might be one of the first things you've posted I can't respect.

A flag is all that matters and Watts is the best chance for a star we've had in 40 years - not a ruckman with freak ability. Fraser, White, and Gardner are former no.1 draft picks. The Fijian is very different, but still a ruckman. I don't want one as numer one... well, not when Watts is on the menu.

This really would be the kicker for a recruiting department. How good can a great ruckman really be? Even if he's the next Cox, what does that give us? First use and an extra midfielder? No. What we want is the next Hird, not the next Fraser... I can't believe no-one's made the observation that Watts bears a striking resemblance on the field to James... Or am I the only one who thinks this?

Oooook. So which is it? You'll still be a member, and you won't jump ship to another club... but you'll stop offering support?

Seriously? I reckon this might be one of the first things you've posted I can't respect.

If someone else posted the same thing I'd have the same view as you and The Shaft. I can't really defend my position.

It's

just

the

way

it

is...

This really would be the kicker for a recruiting department. How good can a great ruckman really be? Even if he's the next Cox, what does that give us? First use and an extra midfielder? No. What we want is the next Hird, not the next Fraser... I can't believe no-one's made the observation that Watts bears a striking resemblance on the field to James... Or am I the only one who thinks this?

No, I've definitely noticed this too, but only after someone posted it here maybe a month or so ago. Can't remember who it was - maybe you DD?

Though he undoubtedly reminds me of him, its a big call to make this early in his career. But god, a great one if you're right.

Watts for mine, but i won't be unhappy with Naitanui

If someone else posted the same thing I'd have the same view as you and The Shaft. I can't really defend my position.

It's

just

the

way

it

is...

I think I understand where you're coming from, but I'm in too deep.

My heart is far too gone to the MFC for me to ever get it back.

...And I think maybe yours is too, but you're just in momentary denial ! :lol:

- Tom Lynch is way too high for pick 17. I don't know if a Bate clone is such a good thing at the moment??

- Want McKernan at 17 to form a formidable Watts-McKernan two pronged attack for the next decade.

- Would be ecstatic with the quick and agile David Zaharakis at pick 19. I rate him higher than James Strauss.

- Would be very happy with Walters at pick 35, but would probably need to draft a ruckman at 35 (ie-Jarrad Redden) if we overlook one at 17/19.

-Danny Hughes as our last draft pick is a prank right?

- Would be keen on selecting Tom Hislop or Greg Bentley at pick 67 and pass on our last pick. Hopefully draft a gem in the PSD.

Hopefully in 10yrs time we will be saying geez that hird guy was a bit like our WATTS!!!!!! I can't see the logic in a ruckman when we have an emerging superstar on the list in PJ and spencer to back him up.

Saturday is my Birthday, so you can guess what I have asked for. The big #4

Burgan has changed his top 20:

Matt Burgan says:

Since publishing my Phantom Draft at 2pm AEDT on Wednesday, it has been revealed that Fremantle will almost certainly be selecting Stephen Hill with pick No.3.

As a result, I have reordered the first 20 picks as follows:

1. Jack Watts (Melbourne)

2. Nick Naitanui (West Coast)

3. Stephen Hill (Fremantle)

4. Hamish Hartlett (Port Adelaide)

5. Daniel Rich (Essendon)

6. Michael Hurley (Carlton)

7. Chris Yarran (Brisbane Lions)

8. Tyrone Vickery (Richmond)

9. Jack Ziebell (North Melbourne)

10. Jackson Trengove (Adelaide)

11. Steele Sidebottom (Collingwood)

12. Lewis Johnston (Sydney Swans)

13. Tom Lynch (St Kilda)

14. Ayce Cordy (Western Bulldogs)

15. Ashley Smith (Geelong)

16. Sam Blease (Hawthorn)

17. Ryan Schoenmakers (Melbourne)

18. Tom Swift (West Coast)

19. Dayne Beams (Melbourne)

20. Phil Davis (West Coast)

http://www.afl.com.au/News/AFLBlogs/...x?newsId=70232

Hopefully in 10yrs time we will be saying geez that hird guy was a bit like our WATTS!!!!!!

yeah, i look forward to the day my grandkids asking me what james hird was like as a player & i'll be able to say 'almost as good as Jack Watts, just without the pack marks & didn't kick as many goals.'

... & they won't believe me that he was that good... :D