Demons to Name Pick Number 1 early, good or bad?

Redleg

I think they should keep it low key myself. Keep the other clubs guessing and a little anxious. What or how could they benefit from naming the pick, 72 hours earlier?

If they've seriously done their homework on all the kids to be drafted, they should sit back and watch the other recruiters sweat it out on draft day.

Its geat. Its no secret who we are taking ether.

Theres no real point keeping the other clubs guessing, its all done in an order.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon if we announce, say, on Thursday or Wednesday that we're taking Watts, we can get a full day's news out of it... this would make us more attractive to sponsors perhaps? Get Watts in the GP's minds?

The MFC has done a deal with Volvo with this function to promote the new Volvo XC60.

The more column centimetres of PR Volvo get in the newspapers and airtime on TV and Radio, the more dollars we will get paid by Volvo.

If they are going to do it then they should go the whole hog. Hold the function at the G and have the XC60 pull up next to the statue of Barassi. Jack emerges from the passenger side door in Melbourne jumper to the flashes of media cameras. Column inches to be had out of that.

And then, if we need a bit more spice, future captain Brock, who is driving the XC60, drops a burnout & fishtails across the park towards Punt Rd. McLean wins a $10k bet (ideally from Nathan Carroll) in doing this which he donates to the club. More column inches & a bit of a liven up for the Volvo image !

The Mfc drafting Jack Watts on Saturday, will be the biggest news story of the day, alongside one other item...

...BEN COUSINS AND THE CLUB THAT DRAFTS HIM.

I think the Dees see this and rather smartly are wanting to make the most of this opportunity.

We should announce it as soon as possible.

The Mfc drafting Jack Watts on Saturday, will be the biggest news story of the day, alongside one other item...

...BEN COUNSINS AND THE CLUB THAT DRAFTS HIM.

I think the Dees see this and rather smartly are wanting to make the most of this opportunity.

Sound logic fork!

...BEN COUNSINS AND THE CLUB THAT DRAFTS HIM.

Hmm, that's a very good point fork. That in itself is enough of a reason to want to name it before Saturday.

Here's a grab from the HUN today, in the article about Stynes asking the AFL for $2m:

"The Demons had considered announcing their No. 1 draft pick on Friday to maximise their exposure.

But it is understood the AFL wanted to maintain at least some element of surprise.

"We fully expect Melbourne to announce it on the day," AFL media manager Patrick Keane said."

But it is understood the AFL wanted to maintain at least some element of surprise.

"We fully expect Melbourne to announce it on the day," AFL media manager Patrick Keane said."

What difference does it make. MFC have the #1 Pick end of story. I can understand that if a club with #3 wanted to make an announcement but surely the AFL can see the benifit to all involved allowing the #1 pick to be named in the lead up. I have a feeling NBA #1 are announced prior to draft, (pls correct me if I am wrong). If they gag us, even more reason for el-president to put the hand out I say!

It will be known on Thursday night at the function that has been mentioned on this thread. The club will not make a public announcement but it will be well-known by Friday who it will be.

Actually Cousins has not yet nominated for the National Draft - his deadline to do so is by tomorrow afternoon.

But yeah, great point fork, I didn't think about that. If he's drafted it will be bigger news than the number 1 pick unless we pull a swifty & choose someone other than Watts.

In fact, announcing it early is the only way to get a decent return in terms of media exposure. We need to be smart & use assets like these to their full potential.

What difference does it make. MFC have the #1 Pick end of story. I can understand that if a club with #3 wanted to make an announcement but surely the AFL can see the benifit to all involved allowing the #1 pick to be named in the lead up. I have a feeling NBA #1 are announced prior to draft, (pls correct me if I am wrong). If they gag us, even more reason for el-president to put the hand out I say!

I think we would be terribly wary of upsetting the AFL and one of their sponsors. We need to show, now more than ever, that we are a professional club with a responsible attitude toward the organisation who is currently deciding whether to throw us a financial lifeline or not.

So i think the decision for the club is not as simple as we would like it to be. There has to be a halfway point. Maybe this is a bit naive, but could we involve the NAB in some capacity?

Read: "We strongly suggested the MFC do not officially announce the pick early & we dangled the Special Assistance Payout over their head like the Sword of Damocles, so we're confident they'll do what we say.."

Read: "We strongly suggested the MFC do not officially announce the pick early & we dangled the Special Assistance Payout over their head like the Sword of Damocles, so we're confident they'll do what we say.."

Exactly. We are in no position to demand anything. The aim of course is to one day be able to.

I think we would be terribly wary of upsetting the AFL and one of their sponsors. We need to show, now more than ever, that we are a professional club with a responsible attitude toward the organisation who is currently deciding whether to throw us a financial lifeline or not.

So i think the decision for the club is not as simple as we would like it to be. There has to be a halfway point. Maybe this is a bit naive, but could we involve the NAB in some capacity?

Absolutely. Given we are seeking significant AFL funding for now and will be in the future we need to work with the AFL in situations like this

OK,

Here is an idea, if the club won't allow the club to do it officially get G.Lyon to stage it unoffically. parade watts around in a MFC jumper for the cameras.

It will be as good as an official means.

Great And they would never link it back to MFC. Brilliant. :rolleyes:

Anyone to do it PLS! But wait until The Other Blokes deadline tomorrow. If he does not nominate then keep the cards close. My feeling is that if I was at St Kilda I would not want to waste a nat draft pick.

therefore if I was betting i would have my money on PSD and therefore No need for MFC to act. Lets see what tomorrow brings us. We might see a new face with #4 on his back thurs morning in the papers (Watts that is!)

I think the easy solution is to make no announcement whatsoever, official or unofficial.

Just invite Jack Watts to the thursday night even and his mere presence will say more than words.

Articles will be written that are "pure speculation" according to Dean Bailey & Chris Connolly, when they are asked about the pick at the event.

Then again, I'm sure the AFL would still have an issue with even this.

Anyone to do it PLS! But wait until The Other Blokes deadline tomorrow. If he does not nominate then keep the cards close. My feeling is that if I was at St Kilda I would not want to waste a nat draft pick.

therefore if I was betting i would have my money on PSD and therefore No need for MFC to act.

Apparently the Saints are having salary cap problems and may lose their right to enter the PSD as reported.

If that is the case and they want Cousins, expect him to nominate before the deadline at 2.00PM wednesday.

They will then take him in the National Draft unless beaten to it by the Lions.

It has also been reported that the Lions if they took him would prefer it to be in the PSD as they don't want to waste a National Draft pick.

There is a bit more to come on this saga, including the Saints Board decision tonight.

Absolutely. Given we are seeking significant AFL funding for now and will be in the future we need to work with the AFL in situations like this

Think you have summed it up pretty accurately Rhino, as usual. If we want a bucketload of compensation for our crap treatment in the draw, it would behove us not to upset the keeper of the cash.

Just on that compensation, at some time in the future the clubs receiving assistance need to publicise the fact that it is compensation for a rigged draw and not a handout. I personally am sick of the idiots who ring up and say why give them any money throw them out of the AFL. These idiots usually barrack for the clubs receiving the best treatment in the draw.

The publicity would need to be carefully prepared, so as not to inflame the AFL, as they have long bitter memories, but rather to explain the situation to an ignorant public.

Apparently the Saints are having salary cap problems and may lose their right to enter the PSD as reported.

If that is the case and they want Cousins, expect him to nominate before the deadline at 2.00PM wednesday.

They will then take him in the National Draft unless beaten to it by the Lions.

It has also been reported that the Lions if they took him would prefer it to be in the PSD as they don't want to waste a National Draft pick.

There is a bit more to come on this saga, including the Saints Board decision tonight.

Well there goes Nathan Carrol's career...

Not necessarily. St. Kilda could pass on Cousins or the Lions could get him or St. Kilda could take them both with their last two picks in the ND.

True. I just imagine that if they are having salary cap problems it is highly unlikely they would take him, but then again if they don't they'd most likely take a kid anyway...

Ok, Carrol still has a glimmer of hope.