Melbourne Fans Protest

Yencks

I'd agree with most of that other than the "millstone" comment. Surely, that should be seen as an opportunity on which the club seems unable to capitalise. I don't understand why you would consider it a dead-weight.

Yes. Its the holy grail. If only.....

The problem is that the Club have been aware of the problem (sorry opportunity) for since the MFC split from the MCC. It has becoming more pressing in the last decade. The Club has explored numerous ways to get MCC members to join the MFC. There are some fundamental barriers preventing the conversion of MCC members to MFC members.

For MFC supporting MCC member there is very powerful argument: "Why should I pay for a (MFC) membership which gives me 10/11 home game entry when I already fork out $500 bucks or so for MCC membership which gives me game access and a better viewing position? For many MCC members the MCC membership is a significant financial impost and its very hard to justify a further " $110 donation" to MFC. The $40 is a compromise to at least get something out of a group of "supporters" that:

1. rarely if it all purchase a full MFC membership

2. rarely if at all purchase Club paraphenalia, attend Club functions or participate in some other way in the Club financially.

BTW, this is not a slag at MCC members who dont buy MFC membership and I understand those that dont and the reasons why. FWIW, I am both an MCC member and full MFC member and to me my MFC membership is a donation to a passion of mine.

This legacy of history does provide a challenge akin to climbing Everest in Boardshorts. For many MCC members there is not the "value" in an MFC membership. And a tacky MFC pen and an acrylic red and blue scarf made in China does not bridge this value gap.

There are other reasons at play here and the absence of a home base (including training facilities) to identify with does not help the situation.

Where a Club has generally a low supporter base and a considerable cache of these supporters are non financial to the Club, it hurts the bottom line and while the spin calls it an "opportunity", to me its a weight on the current structure.

In my mind, the sooner MFC forges a closer and deeper financial and operating relationship with the MCC, the better.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest fatty
In my mind, the sooner MFC forges a closer and deeper financial and operating relationship with the MCC, the better.

In other words, an opportunity. Although I still don't see why the MCC would buy it.

I would agree with you and countless attempts to sway the tartan rug bearing MCC supporters may have failed, but I just haven't seen much of them. Even if the club laid out a blanket outside the MCC members so they could toss their coins in might help.

There is a lot in this, Rhino. There's many ways the MFC can take advantage of it - even without getting a membership out of them. Yes, its easy for me to say, but the efforts to date have been ineffective.

In other words, an opportunity. Although I still don't see why the MCC would buy it.

The ultimate merger/JV/takeover of MFC with MCC has many hurdles. Its a different opporunity to the conversion of MCC members to MFC members. And as you have pointed out just as difficult and complex. Such a venture is very much dependent how MCC sees itself as a sporting organisation in the 21st century.

I would agree with you and countless attempts to sway the tartan rug bearing MCC supporters may have failed, but I just haven't seen much of them. Even if the club laid out a blanket outside the MCC members so they could toss their coins in might help.

In its current form the MFC has little to offer the MCC member that they cannot get through their MCC membership. And the blanket idea on the ground would only p1$$ off the perennial Salvo collectors and be such a demeaning terminal image of the MFC. No wonder they dont stretch for a full membership in MFC!!

There is a lot in this, Rhino. There's many ways the MFC can take advantage of it - even without getting a membership out of them. Yes, its easy for me to say, but the efforts to date have been ineffective.

Fatty, what are the many ways that MFC can take advantage it? What are these ways that represent financially sustainable and viable avenues to getting more MCC members financially involved in the MFC?

The efforts to date have been ineffective because the issues are so substantive and difficult.

Give the man a cigar. I agree totally.

The resurrection of the MFC will begin with its re entry to the MCC fold. They will help us in every department except on the field on match day. Finances, sponsorship, training rooms, administration offices, facilities, occasional training sessions on the G, respect ,membership and marketing, etc, etc, etc.

MFC/MCC do it and do it soon.

Give the man a cigar. I agree totally.

The resurrection of the MFC will begin with its re entry to the MCC fold. They will help us in every department except on the field on match day. Finances, sponsorship, training rooms, administration offices, facilities, occasional training sessions on the G, respect ,membership and marketing, etc, etc, etc.

MFC/MCC do it and do it soon.

HEAR HEAR !!.... Action speaks better than words.

Guest fatty
The efforts to date have been ineffective because the issues are so substantive and difficult.

Well, you've blown me away with that post. Good on you - ripped me to shreds. I was trying to find a way through the mire.

* set up a "Demons only" toll booth outside the MCC members

* offer away-game access for MFC/MCC members

* door-knock every house in Brighton/Toorak/Sth Yarra

* offer Brad Miller as a blind-date auction (if he wants to)

* put lucky-dip prizes under the seats in the members

* offer a bet on the winning margin

* put hookers in the BullRing

These are things I came up with in 10 minutes. You can choose to shoot them all down if you want.

We all want this club to survive, RR. We both know that winning games will achieve a better outcome for all involved. I just don't see why its important for you to discount what I call an opportunity and you call a noose.

I just don't see why its important for you to discount what I call an opportunity and you call a noose.

Bit touchy arent we?

I could ask the same thing Fatty why you discount what I call a millstone and you call an opportunity when you put up a grabbag of suggestions (tongue in cheek with some) that are neither financially viable or sustainable (but the Bull ring one is interesting!).

Guest fatty
Bit touchy arent we?

I could ask the same thing Fatty why you discount what I call a millstone and you call an opportunity when you put up a grabbag of suggestions (tongue in cheek with some) that are neither financially viable or sustainable (but the Bull ring one is interesting!).

Because there's 30,000 supporters there.

But I still don't call it a millstone whereas you think its already something not worth pursuing. One day, someone will come up with something and we'll all say, "Why didn't I think of that?".

But you are right, I raised it and had no right to accuse you of being the negative, recalcritrant, nitpicker that someone might otherwise accuse you of.

Fair play to you.

I personally feel we do pretty well out of MCC members becoming MFC members.

After all, they are about 1/6th of our total supporter base (maybe less) but equate to about 1/4 of our MFC membership base.

Obviously it can be improved, but to focus on that ahead of all else would be detrimental to our club's future.

An alignment makes sense to me, as the two grew together essentially, but is only a small fragment of how we need to grow our supporter/membership base.

Because there's 30,000 supporters there.

But I still don't call it a millstone whereas you think its already something not worth pursuing. One day, someone will come up with something and we'll all say, "Why didn't I think of that?".

But you are right, I raised it and had no right to accuse you of being the negative, recalcritrant, nitpicker that someone might otherwise accuse you of.

Fair play to you.

Where did I say it was not worth pursuing? I have recognised that the lack of support of the MCC member is a financial millstone to MFC. The substantive absence of the cashflow of 30,000 is indeed a financial I have already recognised that the problem is a complex and difficult one and not easy to solve and therefore will continue to be a millstone. I think the solution is probably more complicated that a hooker in a bar! I have suggested that the MFC and MCC deepen their relationship which other posters also seemed to think was a sensible move (a touch of negativity on your part. )

And indeed it is fair play to me as I tried to explain the situation clearly while you delved into name calling. Well done.

My mail is the MFC will soon announce a new sponsor.

The reason for the delay was due to negotiation on "price". This delay was further impacted due to the fixturing.

As a result and as I understand it, the MFC did not get the sponsorship fee it was originally hoping for.

If this does indeed turn out to be the case, are we still not justified in "sooking" about our treatment at the hands of Vlad the Impaler?

Cheers

I am an MCC/MFC Member and i think that connection will be our greatest assett in the future, but i agree in part with all the above posts that at the moment it is completely under utilized. MFC Merchandise should greet me before i swipe my Card on home game days. Club Reps should be at Gate 2 Making us feel passionate about the afternoon to come. I have always thought for years that t MFC has never embraced it core supporters nearly as much as it should. I should write to Cameron Schwabb on this point-anyone know his email??

The reason for the delay was due to negotiation on "price". This delay was further impacted due to the fixturing.

As a result and as I understand it, the MFC did not get the sponsorship fee it was originally hoping for.

If this does indeed turn out to be the case, are we still not justified in "sooking" about our treatment at the hands of Vlad the Impaler?

Cheers

The Bottom line is we just have to win games-all these problems will ease if we can win some games & respectability. I sure hope the board are thinking along these lines, because everything else is just spin doctoring at the end of the day if we do not improve on the field. I am stoked we can get any major sponsor at the moment.

The MFC/MCC debate has been flogged to death on this site....

The MCC members have been flogegd to death on this site....

Rhino, i pay the full MCC/MFC membership of $150 which my entire family of four members pays. I also have quite a few mates that do the same - we attend most home games and no matter the predicament of this club!!

Seriously, the MCC/MFC will sort itself out - the major issue is where do the rest of our supporters/members come from? The Auskick statistics are concerning and this is where we should be concentrating our efforts on as well.

I love this club and there is nothing better than the Demons in September - the noise and passion of their supporters is second to none and I look forward to the resurrection of this footy club....

nothing would be better than shoving it up vlad and his partner in anderson - with onfield and off-field success!!

Guest fatty
And indeed it is fair play to me as I tried to explain the situation clearly while you delved into name calling. Well done.

Sorry - I couldn't help myself.

Have a fun day.

Well, you've blown me away with that post. Good on you - ripped me to shreds. I was trying to find a way through the mire.

I think you will find fatty that that is something we are all trying to find our way through, just with different ways of going about it.

* set up a "Demons only" toll booth outside the MCC members

Like an E-Tag lane on the Harbour Bridge?

* offer away-game access for MFC/MCC members

* door-knock every house in Brighton/Toorak/Sth Yarra

With or without the Range Rover?

I don't mean to sound naive but is this the only area MCC members come from?

* offer Brad Miller as a blind-date auction (if he wants to)

I am sure his wife would love the night off!!!

* put lucky-dip prizes under the seats in the members

From who? Our sponsors, influential members, community gatherings etc

* offer a bet on the winning margin

* put hookers in the BullRing

But only the high priced ones, we don't want to scare the older folk!!!

These are things I came up with in 10 minutes. You can choose to shoot them all down if you want.

And I don't think anyone here should or would shoot any idea down that could help our beloved clubs survival, even a little :) !!!

Cheers

If you are correct I would do a press release giving our new sponsor some publicity. In that release I would mention without stating the figures that the sponsorship was impacted by the fixture.

I would then mention that as a result of the acknowledged poor draw our claim under the CBF will be greater this year and that as long as the league continues to rig the draw in favour of some teams the price to be paid is increased equalization payments by the AFL to the disadvantaged.

I would also work out what the actual loss is going to be all up and publicize that figure so the whole footy world is aware of what is being done and understands the need for increased equalization funding.

This funding needs to be removed from the charity pigeon hole and placed in the compensation one.

The Bottom line is we just have to win games-all these problems will ease if we can win some games & respectability. I sure hope the board are thinking along these lines, because everything else is just spin doctoring at the end of the day if we do not improve on the field. I am stoked we can get any major sponsor at the moment.

That is to state the obvious.

However, if our finances are in such a parlous state, the question that remains unanswered is, can we afford to wait for that to occur, while our sponsorship dollar is diminished?

Unfortunately, given the tough global financial times ahead, I am not sure the "market" will have the patience.

If the AFL is serious, then it needs to cut us some slack.