why i worry over watts

Yencks

Are these the sort of stats we think will satisfy the Demons and justify Watts as No 1 pick. For me it has to be Rich or Nik Nat

Jack Watts

While Playing for Sandringham Dragons in 2008 TAC Cup

Add to myFootywebSeason Statistics

M Last Gls GLR Bhd NB KE KIE HE HIE HR Tks FF FA HO CM UCM

5 31/08/2008 5 - 2 - 41 22 18 7 45 10 3 7 3 5 17

Game LogDate/Time Played For Opposition No Gls Bhd B KE KIE HE HIE HR Tks FF FA HO CM UCM

Sat 28/Jun Sandringham Dragons Gippsland Power 11 2 2 - 5 3 3 1 2 1 1 2 - 3 3

Sun 10/Aug Sandringham Dragons North Ballarat Rebels 11 - - - 13 4 4 1 13 1 - 1 1 - 4

Sat 16/Aug Sandringham Dragons Northern Knights 11 - - - 7 6 4 3 12 1 1 1 - - 2

Sat 23/Aug Sandringham Dragons Gippsland Power 11 3 - - 7 5 2 1 7 6 1 1 1 - 4

Sun 31/Aug Sandringham Dragons Dandenong Stingrays11 - - - 9 4 5 1 11 1 - 2 1 2 4

45 Handball receives, 5 goals , 41 effective kicks, 22 ineffective kicks playing against 17 year olds. Not great stats!!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

unless you know barry prendergast personally, and he then proceeded to tell you that he's going to pick Watts pick 1 (before draft camp mind you)...

then NO you CANNOT prety much guarantee it's been finalized

well watch me mate..i know his family

so stop hypothesising cos at the moment, he's coming to us

wrong. you don't necessarily pick the player that you think will eventually become the best player. You have to take into account longevity. Lets just say that Watts spends the first 4 years building up his body and the next 2-3 years getting into top AFL form by the age of 25, meanwhile Rich becomes a 4 time All-Australian at the same age. Was it worth the wait?

Ultimately, for Watts to make up for all of the time taken to bulk up and hit his straps he will have to surpass Rich in a big way in a 2 or 3 year window.

Checker Hughes used to say 'for every inch over 6 foot, you have to wait a year.'

So what if we have to wait, we have time. I don't know when this 'midfielder mentality' arrived in our game but they win the Brownlows, the win the MVP awards, and fans think they are more important than a 194cm forward target with skills and as much potential to be great than any other player in the draft.

I don't claim to be an expert, or have any inside knowledge, but I know football.

If their even in potential, go tall Barry.

Go tall, Barry.

More difficult to match up on one for starters.

Look at someone like Adam Goodes - there is no position he hasn't played in his career.

194cm and somewhere around the 95kilo mark. Compare him with Jarrad McVeigh (184cm) who has probably been Sydney's best player this year and tell me who you think is more valuable to the team.

If height wasn't an issue like you seem to think it is, there would be far more guys Brent Harvey's side running around

I said no such thing. I merely asked why a 6'4 player is better than a 6 footer.

McVeigh isn't half the player Goodes is, which is the main reason why Goodes is more valuable. They're also completely different types of player.

The point is that you cannot make the statement because the players are not going to be exactly equal, especially since Watts and Rich are very different players and play different positions.

And part of the reason the Hawks smacked the Dogs last night.

They had guys who can use the footy and run hard, but also with their height, they not only provide marking targets, they are also able to be more effective defensive players.

The Hawthorn midfield v Bulldogs midfield from last night:

Sewell - 180

Bateman - 174

Young - 189

Hodge - 184

Lewis - 186

Mitchell - 179

Crawford - 174

Cooney - 186

Cross - 187

Ray - 187

Boyd - 184

Eagleton - 180

Griffen - 188

Higgins - 184

In summary, the average height of Hawthorn's midfield is 180.9cm, while the Bulldogs' is 185.1cm

Young is no matchup problem, since he never plays on anyone!

Hawthorn play the game a bit differently than a lot of teams because of the way the set up their midfield defensively. Players like Dew, Guerra and Ellis are able to function well enough in their team as designated ball users because their midfield zones and is not accountable one on one.

Their defenders obviously need to be more flexible, but their midfield certainly shows no leaning towards the taller types since they load their numbers into a zone.

I don't see this as an argument either for or against picking Watts, though. Since they play different positions and have very different strengths and weaknesses, their height is on relevant in assessing their ability to play their position. Saying we should pick up Watts because he's 6'4 and Rich is only 6'1 is flawed.

More difficult to match up on one for starters.

Look at someone like Adam Goodes - there is no position he hasn't played in his career.

194cm and somewhere around the 95kilo mark. Compare him with Jarrad McVeigh (184cm) who has probably been Sydney's best player this year and tell me who you think is more valuable to the team.

If height wasn't an issue like you seem to think it is, there would be far more guys Brent Harvey's side running around

cox and judd

Sandringham Dragons Vs Geelong Falcons today.

82-71 victory to geelong

Jack Watts named in the bests- kicked 3 goals straight.

Anyone go? Would love to hear a report on Watts

There is a very good report on demonology about Watts' game today, certainly worth the read.

From Haydo on Demonology...

I wandered down to watch the main man in action today with my old man.

Jack played about 90% of the game, rotating from CHF to midfield.

I counted his stats as:

-14 kicks

-8 handballs

-7 marks (including 3 very nice contested pack marks)

-3 goals, 1 point

-quite a few assists

Though i may have missed a couple.

Final score was Geelong winning by about 10-12 points.

Jack oozed absolute class today.

He has a massive engine. When he played midfield, he had a guy a lot shorter trying to tag him who just couldn't keep up with him.

When Jack possessed the ball, he just seemed to have forever to dispose of the ball. His reaction time was so quick and his skills are sublime.

He has a trademark baulk or two when surrounded by players, that most of the time gives him more time to open up the play and pass off the ball to a teammate in a better position, with either hand or either foot.

His pinpoint passing on his non-preferred left foot today was unbeleivable to watch for a bloke of 194cm (and growing).

He has awesome evasive skills.

He kicked one goal with ease from outside 50 from a mark and another on the run from a boundary throw in (again from outside 50) reminiscent of one Matthew Pavlich, that was drilled through the middle, that had class class class written all over it.

He did some magical things today that had my mouth watering and had my dad and i in awe, like pivoting and evading players like Hird or TJ does.

He is good.

The only dissapointing thing was that he spent so long on the ball.

I would have liked to have seen him up forward more as the main target.

His spring and speed is very good, but i didn't think he pushed hard enough for leads today or ran into space enough. He seemded to just float into space a lot, present and take the mark naturally, rather than having to work his butt off to get into space to get his possessions. These things can be taught and worked on i suppose.

For mine he was BOG for Sandy.

Tyronne Vickery played quite a good game as well, kicking two goals when pushed forward and was very clean with his possessions. Tap work was good as was his below the knees work. He will be a star.

He will go top 7 for sure.

I said to my old man that i wouldn't be suprised he we seriously looked at him for our number 1 pick.

Dean Bailey was seated close by us, sitting with Predergaust, Leoncilli and one other unknown.

I had a quick chat at 3/4 time with them and i fecetiously asked them if they were here to watch our number 1 draft pick.

One of them replied they were here to watch number 11 and number 8 (Watts & Vickery).

When i asked them why Watts was playing in the midfield, one answered that they were a little dissapointed he was spending so much time in the midfield, as they wanted to have a good look at him up forward.

On another topic, i know for a fact that the possibility of Bruce or Green being traded has been discussed by the powers that be.

The main barrier with Bruce is that he is on a huge pay packet that is over the odds for his current market value

Unbelievable.

So if we were to trade him, we would have to pay part of his salary for the 1 year remaining of his contract, the same as we did with TJ.

With Green, negotiations are stalled for 2 reasons.

As reported, he wants 3 years and much much more than we are prepared to pay.

I can tell you for certain that there are some movers and shakers at the club that want to move Bruce on for either a fair draft pick or an up grade of our 17th or 19th pick. Watch this space.

Carroll will again be offered up for trade for anything that we can get, unfortuately probably like last year no one will want him.

The swapping of picks 1 and 3 for Warnock is rubbish. We are doing our utmost to get him for free in the pre-season draft. Carlton are also in to him in a massive way.

Don't let the brotherly love thing come into the equation, he is not ours just yet.

He is coming to Victoria for sure, but to the highest bidder it appears.

Mark Harvey was also in attendance.

To summarise, i think on todays performance alone, we must take Watts.

He has a lot of tricks up his sleeve for such a big boy and he is below age with a lot of filling out to do.

He has so much time and awareness, which is a rare commodity and a sign of a great player, combined with his unique skill and contested marking attributes.

Lock it in, he is our man.

From Haydo on Demonology...

On another topic, i know for a fact that the possibility of Bruce or Green being traded has been discussed by the powers that be.

The main barrier with Bruce is that he is on a huge pay packet that is over the odds for his current market value

Unbelievable.

So if we were to trade him, we would have to pay part of his salary for the 1 year remaining of his contract, the same as we did with TJ.

Make that 2 years. Bruce is contracted til 2010. :wacko:

With Green, negotiations are stalled for 2 reasons.

As reported, he wants 3 years and much much more than we are prepared to pay.

You can hardly blame him, given what Bruce is on. ;)

Young is no matchup problem, since he never plays on anyone!

Hawthorn play the game a bit differently than a lot of teams because of the way the set up their midfield defensively. Players like Dew, Guerra and Ellis are able to function well enough in their team as designated ball users because their midfield zones and is not accountable one on one.

Their defenders obviously need to be more flexible, but their midfield certainly shows no leaning towards the taller types since they load their numbers into a zone.

I don't see this as an argument either for or against picking Watts, though. Since they play different positions and have very different strengths and weaknesses, their height is on relevant in assessing their ability to play their position. Saying we should pick up Watts because he's 6'4 and Rich is only 6'1 is flawed.

Getting a great CHF is better than getting a great rover.

Franklin v Ablett. All things considered i'd take Franklin.