Melbourne sign Frawley, Garland, Jones, Petterd, Bate and Newton

w00dy

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was players cannot be traded without their approval FULL STOP.

If you're under contract, you can say 'No, i don't want to go to Hawthorn, I want to fight for my spot' and clubs can't force them.

Happy with the 5 but as for MN, some people have all the luck.

A lot of clubs try and do the right thing and keep players who do not want to be traded. Ferguson could still have been packed off to Hawthorn, if Hawthorn were prepared to take some one who didn't want to go. I think you will fin that Hawthorn nixed the deal.

Sorry for mentioning it, but wasn't Woey desperate to stay at Melbourne?

A lot of clubs try and do the right thing and keep players who do not want to be traded. Ferguson could still have been packed off to Hawthorn, if Hawthorn were prepared to take some one who didn't want to go. I think you will fin that Hawthorn nixed the deal.

Sorry for mentioning it, but wasn't Woey desperate to stay at Melbourne?

A club doing that would be undermining their objective to improve their list. That would be silly.

I understand that when Heff was traded to MFC by Essendon he did not want to go and Sheedy said he would then have to get used to playing back pocket in Bendigo 2nds for the rest of his career. Heff agreed to be traded (Rats!)

Its says alot about our list management that we did not ship Ferg off at the first opportrunity and kept him (and others) too long on our list.

I understand that when Heff was traded to MFC by Essendon he did not want to go and Sheedy said he would then have to get used to playing back pocket in Bendigo 2nds for the rest of his career. Heff agreed to be traded (Rats!)

Apologies for getting off the topic: -

Just on Heffernan, did the Dees help the Dons out there? He went back to Essendon under Sheedy.....what was all that about?

Thus raising the point of why, after a couple of nothing years with Melbourne, he was brought back to Essendon if the Sheedy POV was correct.

Heffernan, Blumfield and Caracella were all required players at Essendon, but had to be shipped off for salary cap reasons. Totally different scenario to Ferguson, who the club wanted to trade, but he refused to go because he was under contract.

Thus raising the point of why, after a couple of nothing years with Melbourne, he was brought back to Essendon if the Sheedy POV was correct.

They got a first round trade pick at a point in time when he had value and had been mediocre for the Bombers in the proceeding years. At the end of 2002, Essendon were still challenging in the 8.

Three years later the arse had fallen out of Essendon and Heff was a stocking filler footballer and was picked up in the PSD and the Bombers paid nicks for it.

Heffernan, Blumfield and Caracella were all required players at Essendon, but had to be shipped off for salary cap reasons.

That's not what Rhino Richards had to say about Heffernan's plight (cf. the post I quoted).

That's not what Rhino Richards had to say about Heffernan's plight (cf. the post I quoted).

As usual, Rhino's wrong. We got Heffernen and the Dons pick 15 for our pick 12. In other words we virtually got Heffernan for nothing, because the Dons had salary cap problems.

As usual, Rhino's wrong. We got Heffernen and the Dons pick 17 for our pick 12. In other words we virtually got Heffernan for nothing, because the Dons had salary cap problems.

The point I made was that Sheedy pushed to Heff to move when he did not want to go. And it was done to compare why we did not do the same with Ferg.

Whether Essendon had salary cap problems was neither here nor there to issue at hand. Nor was the issue of what they got.

Keep nitpicking the small stuff Mo. Its your strength.

BTW, I am still waiting your game plan we should have been playing at the start of the year that suited our list. Come on champ have you got it in you? :wacko::lol:

The point I made was that Sheedy pushed to Heff to move when he did not want to go. And it was done to compare why we did not do the same with Ferg.

Whether Essendon had salary cap problems was neither here nor there to issue at hand. Nor was the issue of what they got.

Keep nitpicking the small stuff Mo. Its your strength.

BTW, I am still waiting your game plan we should have been playing at the start of the year that suited our list. Come on champ have you got it in you? :wacko::lol:

Read what you initially wrote you ignoramus. The FACTS were that Heffernan was traded for salary cap reasons, and you just made up that [censored] about Sheedy threatening to play him in the reserves. Heffernan, Caracella and Blumfield all did the right thing by their club by agreeing to move, whereas Ferguson wouldn't. Your comparison is ridiculous, which isn't surprising given that you know jackshit about the game.

The FACTS were that Heffernan was traded (by Essendon) for salary cap reasons

I figured this might have been right.

Three years later the arse had fallen out of Essendon and Heff was a stocking filler footballer and was picked up in the PSD and the Bombers paid nicks for it.

And I figure this is right too, probably plus the fact the Bombers felt they 'owed' it to Heffernan after trading him off to Melbourne.

So in a way The Dees did help the Dons out. Thanks boys. Cheers. As Scotty Palmer says, "Keep on Punchin'"

Regardless of why the Club wanted him to go, Heffernan did not want to go. He was pushed. And he played like that at MFC. Ferguson should have been pushed as well.

For a person who has made claims on this site that premierships aren't important and that the MFC was in a position to seriously challenge at the start of this year you really are celebration of mediocrity.

Rogue was smart enough to see what my argument was and that your point did not address it. You just itched the chip on your shoulder to make an irrelevant point.

Underwhelming to say the least.

I have to say that I was extremely disappointed to hear that Newton had been offered another contract, let alone 2 years at that. I don't think he is the answer, I have yet to see anything that suggests he will become a good player and his attitude and lack of second efforts haven't been addressed.

I would love for him to prove me wrong, but I'm pretty sure he won't.