Trading and drafting strategy

The fact that we were stupid enough to hold onto Robbo instead of trade him to the dogs is only testament to the problem and a great example of MFC's constant pilgrimage to mediocrity.

What could we have got from the Dogs? In the end Robbo wanted to stay. Maybe trading TJ was the better option......Was the mfc footy department really that stupid?

A player we all can, Jamar, I believe we could trade him to sydney. WHY would sydney want him I hear you ask?

The SCG is a small ground that suits sydneys style, jam up the play, force packs, and I believe this would suit Jamar.

We saw his on the ground pack work in the dying minutes against brisbane, he was pretty good, kept the ball alive and in the pack, typical sydney style. Also they need a second ruckman, I believe we could get a third round pick for him.

Im a big fan of Brad Green and he may well be the next captain of MFC. I have no problem with that either if we argue that his leadership skills are good enough reason to keep him, thats fine. But to argue that someone is untouchable and not consider offers is just downright pigheaded and not going to get us a flag.

Ok I am with you here because no-one is absolutely safe for the perfect offer, but the odds of us being properly compensated or getting what we think he is worth is slim to non-existent so, as Jaded said on another thread, I think about Chris Johnson, he is probably (definitely) worth more to us than what we may get for him.

And I will put this out there as well, since we all seem so hell bent on trading our seniors away for speculative draft picks. Earlier in this thread it was said that because it is unlikely that Green will see a Premiership with us given where we are currently at we should therefore automatically cut our losses and trade.

While in theory that is all well and good, I will put a slightly different spin on it. For starters you can't get rid of all players over a certain age, that is just ridiculous and even more important than that is the fact that some of these players could well be part of laying a solid foundation for our next premiership team to build on.

To me Green, with how he has performed this year both in his improved consistency and skills as well as his leadership (which is something that has been non-existent within the team for a very long time) would be an excellent mentor or roll model for the next breed of Melbourne footballer to learn from and hopefully this will be part of the foundation of our next great side. The re-signing of MacDonald with his work rate and ethic would indicate a similar thinking.

These kids, and make no mistake there will be plenty of babies running around in Demon colours next year, will need some good solid leadership to help them to become what we hope that they can be, and for my money someone like Green (and MacDonald) therefore become invaluable to that cause given their attitudes.

Other senior players may not be quite as suitable to this kind of role, but to say that a player is "useless" to the cause simply because he is to maybe going to be too old to see our next flag is insane, simply because for the right player he could become an important stone as we build towards our ultimate goal.

I hope that made sense :) !!!

totally agree on Green and Ratten is meant to be interested. Having his best year and I reckon a player who might peak a short period so happy to off load him when he is cherry ripe as we need to build this young list. Pick aound 20 would be fair and he would do well at a Carlton and kick a few goals for them.

I think we need to be aggressive as no doubt we will bounce back up in future years, but we need to get youngsters in now like Hawthorn did when they off loaded Thompson and Hay.

I like the new Green, the way he's now playing, but if he wants to go, then what about trading Green & Carroll & pick 19ish to carlton for their 1st pick & 3rd pick?

Collingwood had a 3 to 4 year period where they either traded for the window in 2002 and 2003 or they just drafted duds. The failures in those years are coming home to roost for the Pies.

Collingwood had there BIG chance Last year.They would have slaughtered Port Adel just like the HandBags. But The Pies Blew it. I was so so sad!!

Green will be 33 and retired when our window opens. He is expendable if the deal is good enough.

Stop thinking about careers and start thinking about the club...and a flag.

Totally Agree-All players are expendable with the RIGHT Deal. Would Trapper have made so much difference to this year? Doubt it & we got a good draft pick for him.

Brad Green is Great and a possible captain, but we may get 1 or two guns for him. This Draft Has Tooo much Gold not to dig

At least Green and Davey can play which is more than what we know about pick 19 . Why trade a good player like Green to Carlton, they have had enough windfalls in the last couple of tanks.

It seems ridiculous that we are intent (well some of us are) on offloading our good players just to create a window down the track. Did we predict our Grand Final appearance in 2000 as a "Window"or what.

At least Green and Davey can play which is more than what we know about pick 19 . Why trade a good player like Green to Carlton, they have had enough windfalls in the last couple of tanks.

It seems ridiculous that we are intent (well some of us are) on offloading our good players just to create a window down the track. Did we predict our Grand Final appearance in 2000 as a "Window"or what.

The Game is getting Faster every year, Green Bruce etc are getting older. Their value must be weighed up with what is on offer. Footy is a business and we as a club must start to fully take on this concept. Hey if the Deals aint great-NO Deal

Green will be 33 and retired when our window opens. He is expendable if the deal is good enough.

Stop thinking about careers and start thinking about the club...and a flag.

OK let's do that.

I for one don't want any part of Robert Warnock as a PSD strategy.

We've stuffed around with potential ruckman for too long. They are now dinosaurs with the circle. Knee each other in the guts and run to interchange. FFS, lets get a spine going and a midfield that can deliver the offensive and defensive requirements.

OK let's do that.

I for one don't want any part of Robert Warnock as a PSD strategy.

We've stuffed around with potential ruckman for too long. They are now dinosaurs with the circle. Knee each other in the guts and run to interchange. FFS, lets get a spine going and a midfield that can deliver the offensive and defensive requirements.

silly comment from someone who clearly doesn't watch much footy.

If you want to look at how a good ruckman influences a match look no further than David Hille.

He is an example of a star ruckman, and when he's playing well Essendon do NOT lose. full stop.

Ruckman have had big roles in every premiership pretty much for the past 10 years datinig back to the brisbane triple premiership.

come finals time especially, ruckman are VERY important.

just ask collingwood after losing a prelim final by a small margin, when Ottens won geelong the game coz of the shiteness of collingwoods' rucks

silly comment from someone who clearly doesn't watch much footy.

If you want to look at how a good ruckman influences a match look no further than David Hille.

He is an example of a star ruckman, and when he's playing well Essendon do NOT lose. full stop.

Ruckman have had big roles in every premiership pretty much for the past 10 years datinig back to the brisbane triple premiership.

come finals time especially, ruckman are VERY important.

just ask collingwood after losing a prelim final by a small margin, when Ottens won geelong the game coz of the shiteness of collingwoods' rucks

Clearly Silvinator you have no idea how much footy I watch.... or coach.

Agree with your statements regarding how ruckmen influence games.. I just don't agree that Robert Warnock is the anwer, my friend.

Clearly Silvinator you have no idea how much footy I watch.... or coach.

Agree with your statements regarding how ruckmen influence games.. I just don't agree that Robert Warnock is the anwer, my friend.

Fair enuf... i see promise in him. 206cm, 21 yrs old.

anyone of his height we would have to put 3-4 yrs of development into him, and freo have done that for us.

it would be an absolute steal if we got him in the PSD, because he is realistically worth pick 10-14

Fair enuf... i see promise in him. 206cm, 21 yrs old.

it would be an absolute steal if we got him in the PSD, because he is realistically worth pick 10-14

Sure would. Alot better than a 32yo White on our list.

where is the evidence that robbie warnock wants to come to melbourne

freo are in a rebuilding phase as well, and freo consider him a required player.

we'd have to finish bottom to get him, and even then, freo would've signed him

where is the evidence that robbie warnock wants to come to melbourne

freo are in a rebuilding phase as well, and freo consider him a required player.

we'd have to finish bottom to get him, and even then, freo would've signed him

The evidence so far is he hasn't re-signed as yet with Fremantle. There has been reports of him wanting to come to Victoria.

And there is the fact also that we are currently last by a game and percentage (whilst a small %).

That's enough evidence for posters on this site to warm to him.