VIC Metro vs WA on Fox Sports - Wednesday July 9th

Yze_Magic

I have read many people talking about the upside of Nat, that he will learn the game and develop into a superstar, he hasn't been playing for very long, etc..

My personal take on it, is that Watts is the player who has more upside. My reasoning?

If you can remember from last years carnival, Nat was such a standout that Carltons head recruiter actually stated that if Nat had have been available he would have drafted him over Kreuzer. Now a year on, a year further into his development, and many have question marks over whether he should be taken at No.1. Did he just look better last year due to the quality of player around him such as Morton, Masten and Palmer?

Now Watts is a kid who grew playing basketball for Sandringham, helping them win an U/14 national club championship and then advancing on to elite training squads such as the AIS. He has only just started playing TAC footy(instead of school footy for Brighton Grammer), and to my knowledge didn't participate in any elite football squads before this year. Now he decides he wants football to be his No.1 priority(Can you beleive he wouldn't want to play in the NBL? :lol: ), and he rolls out for Vic metro playing as a key foward and wins the player of the carnival.

Now i stated in another post that i grew up playing and watching basketball at a decent level, and athletes like Natanui are a dime a dozen in the hoops world, but it doesn't mean you can play the game. I don't beleive that Nat is definitely in that camp, but to me he is a bigger risk than Watts. Watts will be a gun and has huge upside, he's our man.

Agree. Naitanui has a LONG way to go to be a champion AFL footballer. I was disappointed with his play and lack of presence around the ground. I can't remember him taking even one big grab which considering his big leap was surprising. Although Watts was quiet in this game, he looked all class when he got the ball. Rich was good in the first half but faded when tagged. I thought Vickery showed a lot more potential than Naita. The standard of play by the Vics in particular was impressive and there were many good prospects showing their talents. In fact, any team finishing just outside or even in the 8 are likely to pick up some good talent. Finishing last for the sake of getting a good pick is no longer important. There are many standouts in this year's bunch of youngsters. I'd go for Watts then Rich. Mind you No1 for Vic Met was a likely colt too. He was a ball magnet and tough into the bargain. Can anyone remember his name?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently David Schwarts was more than impressed by Blease that plays for Metro

he was quick and kicked a couple of nice goals.

Will probably be available with our 2nd pick if we wanted him.

Tess is right. He is eligible this year. His partner in crime in the midfield Scully is not eligible until next year though. Maybe you just had the two confused. Scully will likely be a high pick in next years draft. Blease will likely go somewhere around pick 15 this draft from what Ive read thus far. I hope he falls to our second pick, as he is exactly what we need IMO. A pacey wingman with good skills and a good work ethic. Some of his second efforts on Weds were superb and he kicked a fantastic goal in the last quarter! Needs to put on abit of size still though before he can play at AFL you'd think.

If we could get Warnock, then draft Watts and Blease, we will have gotten ourselves a good young ruckman, key forward and pacey midfielder, which are the 3 key areas that need addressing. Could be a great draft for us this year :D

If we could get Warnock, then draft Watts and Blease, we will have gotten ourselves a good young ruckman, key forward and pacey midfielder, which are the 3 key areas that need addressing. Could be a great draft for us this year :D

and those who thought a priority pick in early second round was worth little should have a re-think. we should end up with 3 picks in the top 20 which is huge given the talent available.

I have read many people talking about the upside of Nat, that he will learn the game and develop into a superstar, he hasn't been playing for very long, etc..

My personal take on it, is that Watts is the player who has more upside. My reasoning?

If you can remember from last years carnival, Nat was such a standout that Carltons head recruiter actually stated that if Nat had have been available he would have drafted him over Kreuzer. Now a year on, a year further into his development, and many have question marks over whether he should be taken at No.1. Did he just look better last year due to the quality of player around him such as Morton, Masten and Palmer?

Now Watts is a kid who grew playing basketball for Sandringham, helping them win an U/14 national club championship and then advancing on to elite training squads such as the AIS. He has only just started playing TAC footy(instead of school footy for Brighton Grammer), and to my knowledge didn't participate in any elite football squads before this year. Now he decides he wants football to be his No.1 priority(Can you beleive he wouldn't want to play in the NBL? :lol: ), and he rolls out for Vic metro playing as a key foward and wins the player of the carnival.

Now i stated in another post that i grew up playing and watching basketball at a decent level, and athletes like Natanui are a dime a dozen in the hoops world, but it doesn't mean you can play the game. I don't beleive that Nat is definitely in that camp, but to me he is a bigger risk than Watts. Watts will be a gun and has huge upside, he's our man.

Very good post Jerry, where has the improvement indeed been in the last year from Natinui?

None.

He is no better than a year ago.

No improvement on his game at all.

He may very well have peaked early, similar to Kepler Bradley, and then peettered out.

Watts Watts Watts.

My top 10

1. Watts

2. Vickery

3. Hurley

4. Rich

5. McKernan

6. Hartlett

7. Zaharakis

8. Natinui

9. Yarran

10. Zeibel

Vickery at 2, and natanui at 8 ! LOL

Another Saturday night on the crack pipe for Haydo.

Vickery was ok, but again he's a ruckman and they have to be something special eg Kruezer to get taken that high.

He may be a top 10 pick but I'd say more around the 15-20 mark, particularly as this is a strong year.

At this stage I wouldn't be surprised if the draft ended up like this:

Melbourne - Watts

Freo - Naitanui

WC - Rich

Port Adelaide - Hartlett

Richmond/Essendon - Hurley. If the Dons didn't get Hurley McKernan would be the next best but they already have a few young forwards so maybe Hurley to Essendon and McKernan to the Tigers

Vickery was ok, but again he's a ruckman and they have to be something special eg Kruezer to get taken that high.

He may be a top 10 pick but I'd say more around the 15-20 mark, particularly as this is a strong year.

At this stage I wouldn't be surprised if the draft ended up like this:

Melbourne - Watts

Freo - Naitanui

WC - Rich

Port Adelaide - Hartlett

Richmond/Essendon - Hurley. If the Dons didn't get Hurley McKernan would be the next best but they already have a few young forwards so maybe Hurley to Essendon and McKernan to the Tigers

Vickery showed he was way more than just a ruckman in the final.

He has the potential to be a powerhouse, strong marking forward.

If he is around @15 - 20 we would have our hands on the biggest second round steal ever.

Trust me, the boy can play.

Vickery showed he was way more than just a ruckman in the final.

He has the potential to be a powerhouse, strong marking forward.

If he is around @15 - 20 we would have our hands on the biggest second round steal ever.

Trust me, the boy can play.

It's more the fact that he's a ruckman and the general vibe is that clubs don't like picking them too early because their development is hard to predict.

Also, don't expect the Doggies to pick up Hurley (if he's still there when they have their first pick) because they believe he's too slow