My 3 word player analysis V The Tilers

joeboy

Where my concern currently lies. I really rate Bate, but am starting to wonder. Seems lost out there.

To the contrary, from what I saw and stats bear me out, Bate played well today and he did his bit for the team.

Always runniing into space taking an opponent with him. Always tackling hard, always offering an option to team mates, always blocking and sheperding when he can, going into packs to get it, can play outside, is a good link man also. Great quick little gives to players running past in tight spots, great long handballs that go into the corridor and bust lines. Can kick long and short accurately, learning more about tactics and tempo. Bater has a natural and clever footy brain and is getting a lot more attention/respect from the opposition nowadays because..... he's always dangerous...... and will, I believe, become even more and more dangerous as he matures. Has a body as hard as nails and will play 200+.

Someone who was sitting closer to the bench might be able to help me with this.. but did they take McDonald off for the 2nd quarter? Either that or it was the biggest "gone missing" effort I have ever seen.

I know he was frequently on the bench, but I'm not sure how much time he was there during the 2nd quarter.

I also join the call for Green to be captain, he has had a great year so far and proven himself as a real leader on the field. Green - Captain, McLean - Vice Captain for 2009.

Bartram - his season best

Bate - not enough work

Bode - didn't do much

Bruce - had positive effect

Davey - is not fit

Dunn - be more damaging

Frawley - still to young

Garland - a fine game

Green - should be captain

C. Johnson - a good game

P. Johnson - pretty good yesterday

Jones - gave it all

McDonald - tried as usual

McLean - a leaders game

Miller - kicked some goals

Morton - presented really well

Sylvia - some critical touches

Warnock - dropped easy marks

Wheatley - an outstanding performance

White - not horrible yesterday

Yze - still to selfish

Wonaeamirri - doesn't like TD

You people have lost me, Adem Yze not done with?!? are you serious, I made a point of actually watching him for a fair portion of the game and he is the most selfish and laziest players I have seen in a long time, wont give the first option when in the F50 rather try and snap over his shoulder, tries kicking goals out of mid air when he could grab it and have all the time to bag one and more importantly gives nothing more then token pressure to me does not look like he really wants to chase or lay a tackle providing it looks like he is trying. Disgraceful

Some general comments -

Green's 'soft' tag has always surprised me a bit, and his dedication and desperation were obvious yesterday.

Miller's kicking was a joy to behold, and I can only hope he has that type of mindset for the rest of his career.

I thought Bartram was good. He did a fair bit offensively, making good position to present an option.

Garland looked really good at times - a class above a few of the other guys out there.

Wheatley also finds the footy, but his disposal also really let him down yesterday (to a lesser extent than Morton, though).

PJ was a little disappointing around the ground, and hasn't found the form that he was in during the early part of the season IMHO.

Morton let himself down with his disposal by foot, but makes good position and tries to assist teammates by shepherding etc - I'm still a fan.

Warnock does some good things, and isn't afraid to attack the ball, but yesterday wasn't one of his best.

Yze knows how to get into attacking positions, but doesn't have that Yze polish that he used to (how far can he kick it these days?).

PS. CJ was worth of his spot.

Didn't rate Wheatley's game that high today.

Coughed up the ball way too much by foot. Did he even hit a target inside 50?

Eh? We must have seen different games. More importantly, did he have a target inside 50?

and i must say, i thought Sylvia was very good in quater 1,3 and 4.

He is a good player. he is unfairly maligned, and is improving week by week.

i think his improvement should be recognised because he has become a good and solid player each week now.

he has the attributes to be a star- Strong, good kick, good mark, good tackler. he can translate that into more consistent performances and i'll be exstatic

agreed, i though he has had atleast 2 good games in a row now. only reason his 2nd quater was not so good was he was starved down in the forward pocket when we just couldn't get our hands on it.

It's what his role is, he is the "magic" man. It's a very hit or miss scenario, sometimes it'll be brilliant, other times it'll be frustrating. I'm not sure we really need him in the side, but i think he's earned a place next week.

It's what his role is, he is the "magic" man. It's a very hit or miss scenario, sometimes it'll be brilliant, other times it'll be frustrating. I'm not sure we really need him in the side, but i think he's earned a place next week.

He may be the 'magic' man, but at the moment he doesn't have the polish - or the legs - to be that guy.

First game I've liked from Bartram and Bruce in a fair while, and Miller didn't waste a disposal, which was pleasing. Wheatley tried hard all day, but turned it over a few times. CJ showed a bit, PJ is the best (maybe only) 200cm rover in the comp and McLean continues to bust his gut. Green has transformed from the silky skills outsider in his first couple of years to a tough, hard tackling, strong marking leader (however I think his kicking has dropped off a bit).

On the other hand, although a big fan of Ooze, his disposal has to be better. I guess he had about 15 touches, 5 were up to his usual standard, 5 were average, but not really penetrating or putting it on someone's chest, and the other 5 were poor. I think the fact that he got a couple of clearances, battled hard and took a fewstrong grabs might save him, but he has to improve.

I also have been a big fan of White, but he was poor. Did you see the contest where he tapped it to Yze who was tackled by 2 tigers straight away, with another hanging just off the pack, but Jeff didn't provide the second effort to help out. Yze managed a 20m handball which bought us some time, but the tigers eventually launched an attack. It was the last quarter, so I'm hoping he was completely out of steam.

Wonaeamirri is the best shot for goal in the league from <35m. Because he keeps the ball low and straight with a simple technique, not much can go wrong. But from >35m, he struggles to get the ball over 3m above the goal line. He should be informed to pass it off from this range.

If Juice played the game Miller did, people would be all over it calling him the next Wayne Carey.

Miller had a very good, productive game yesterday. His kicking was spot on, and he took some good grabs. His form this year has been much improved and he deserves a lot of recognition for turning his fortunes around, as does Bailey.

If Juice played the game Miller did, people would be all over it calling him the next Wayne Carey.

Miller had a very good, productive game yesterday. His kicking was spot on, and he took some good grabs. His form this year has been much improved and he deserves a lot of recognition for turning his fortunes around, as does Bailey.

I agree Jaded. Now all we need is someone to help him out with the scoreboard...

Maybe thats cos Juice is 19, has played only about 10 games and has natural football ability.

Maybe thats cos Juice is 19, has played only about 10 games and has natural football ability.

And is lazy with attitude problems.

His performance in Round 1 was the worst display of attitude I have ever seen from a 19 year old. Leadership and the work ethic of Miller he'll never have, and we all know how far natural ability alone gets you.

When Newton strings together a whole season, putting his body on the line, taking contested marks and kicking goals consistently, he'll start to interest me. Until then, I'd take a hard-working Miller anyday of the week. Dean Bailey seems to agree.

That there is the problem, once he starts getting better he will get more attention from the opposition.

I think he does have potential, but as a elite midfielder must deal with the extra attention of a tagger, so must a decent forward deal with the extra attention, and I think that is the true mark of an elite footballer.

If Bate gets tagged push him forward and see how his opponent goes overhead

One of your better weeks Joeboy. I was surprised to see the media speak highly of Davey. It wasn't his worst match but it was far from his best... even with the MOTY contender... one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Having a good year there Joeboy, in fine touch.