Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

Was I the only one who found it very strange the way the English side celebrated their "win" over the Windies?

I thought it boarded on ridiculous - you'd almost be embarassed to win that way, let alone have celebrations on the balcony.

And even then, if the team did celebrate, I'd expect the captain to temper it.

Strauss seemed to react as though England had pulled through as the deserving winners,as if they'd outplayed the Windies somehow. If I were captain, I'd show a little more faith in my side and express how it was a disappointing way to win the match as I felt we could've won the game outright - rather than his exclamations of glee that his team required a [censored]-up by the opposition coach to gift his side a rare victory.

Was I the only one who found it very strange the way the English side celebrated their "win" over the Windies?

I thought it boarded on ridiculous - you'd almost be embarassed to win that way, let alone have celebrations on the balcony.

And even then, if the team did celebrate, I'd expect the captain to temper it.

I didn't see it, but I understand where you're coming from.

What a mistake by Dyson! In this era you'd think there would be some D/L software so these mistakes were limited.

In other news, this wasn't bad -

MG Johnson not out 123

A shame about everything else.

What a contrast with Harris and McGain.

In other news, this wasn't bad -

MG Johnson not out 123

A shame about everything else.

What a contrast with Harris and McGain.

A great knock on a good batting strip by Mitchell Johnson who has definitely stamped himself as a world class bowling all-rounder. His performances make McDonald's role redundant and embarrasses some of the top order batsman. Mr Hussey.... the clock is ticking.

Its a good point about contrasting Harris and McGain. Harris only reinforces the important of having Test standard competent spinner. Harris is not a great spin bowler and has been subject to some surprising attacks on these forums. Not every spinner is as good as Warne. He is a capable and competent spinner who will have his day out and get 5 or 6 once in a long stretch but will normally chime in 1 or 2 valuable scalps.

Australia going into the Ashes without a front line spinner is going in very exposed. We will indeed be fortunate if the hole can be covered by Katich, North and Clarke.

My touring team for the Ashes Tests (15 man squad).

Hughes, Katich, Ponting, Hussey, Clarke, North, Haddin, Johnson, Siddle, Hilfenhaus, S Clarke,

I would add:

Nannes- My comments above. I think he might have pipped Greeves and Magoffin.

Wade - Second keeper

Hodge- Form with the bat and prior English experience.

Bollinger- Another left armer for variety. Would have chosen a spinner here but why waste the spot. :(

On the outer:

McDonald - Not strong enough as a bowler and/or batsman. No place if we are play 4 front line quicks.

McGain - Enough said. :(

Watson- Injury prone and the same as McDonald

Lee- No form in England. Lost mojo and at 32 I think Australia should prefer others.

Hauritz- Went to SA but was not used for any game. Shown that at best he can dry up runs but not take wickets. I doubt they will waste a tour spot on him.

Smoky:

David Hussey to replace his brother in the side.... OK. I did say it was a smoky! :P I would not put money on it but if it does come off, I will claim "I picked this"!! :D

While we can argue about who the four bowlers should be, I think it's clear we should include four bona fide bowlers in the side.

I agree with that.

Didn't Bollinger come into the picture when Nannes was injured. Nannes has finished the season like a steam train.

If they decide not to take a front line spinner, Nannes might be closer than you think.

I hope so. But you'd think that Johnson, Siddle and Hilfenhaus will be the first 3 picked. The last spot will either be another quick (Clark, Nannes, Lee, Bollinger) or McDonald.

It will be interesting to find out why Katich did not bowl until there were 600 runs on the board. Surely after McGains murdering on the 2nd day, he should have been bowled.

I heard on ABC radio that Katich said his body doesn't cope well with bowling, especially now that he's an opener.

A great knock on a good batting strip by Mitchell Johnson who has definitely stamped himself as a world class bowling all-rounder. His performances make McDonald's role redundant and embarrasses some of the top order batsman. Mr Hussey.... the clock is ticking.

Hussey is definitely near the end. We just can't afford to have consistent failures in the top 5. I'd say Hodge or Klinger will be in the squad and if Hussey doesn't perform, there'll be an opening in the middle order for one of them.

On the outer:

McDonald - Not strong enough as a bowler and/or batsman. No place if we are play 4 front line quicks.

McGain - Enough said. :(

Watson- Injury prone and the same as McDonald

Lee- No form in England. Lost mojo and at 32 I think Australia should prefer others.

Hauritz- Went to SA but was not used for any game. Shown that at best he can dry up runs but not take wickets. I doubt they will waste a tour spot on him.

Smoky:

David Hussey to replace his brother in the side.... OK. I did say it was a smoky! :P I would not put money on it but if it does come off, I will claim "I picked this"!! :D

I wonder if McDonald's 60 will keep him in the forefront of selector's minds? I doubt he'll start in the first Ashes test, but I reckon he might get a spot in the squad.

D. Hussey won't get a spot in the squad. His Shield form wasn't fantastic in 08/09.

I hope so. But you'd think that Johnson, Siddle and Hilfenhaus will be the first 3 picked. The last spot will either be another quick (Clark, Nannes, Lee, Bollinger) or McDonald.

Given McDonalds docile performance on good batting strip with the ball, I think the selectors will risk it against Peterson and Flintoff on small grounds. If they take S Clark then they have no requirement for McDonalds height.

I heard on ABC radio that Katich said his body doesn't cope well with bowling, especially now that he's an opener.

Was that after the finish of the Test? The commentary box (Maxwell, Roebuck and Coward) were gobsmacked that Katich was not bowled until the death against SA. His shoulder must still be an issue.

Hussey is definitely near the end. We just can't afford to have consistent failures in the top 5. I'd say Hodge or Klinger will be in the squad and if Hussey doesn't perform, there'll be an opening in the middle order for one of them.

219 at 19.72 against SA in six tests. His only score over 50 was one of the most scratchy performances you could see. He is one more poor Test away from oblivion. He batted well in the 2005 ODI in England so I will give him some rope. Hodge and Klinger should fight the spot out.

I wonder if McDonald's 60 will keep him in the forefront of selector's minds? I doubt he'll start in the first Ashes test, but I reckon he might get a spot in the squad.

If North had been fit then McDonald would have been out of the side. His bowling was lacklustre against SA and on good decks he is too easily pulled apart. An all rounder needs to justify himself as either a bowler or batsman if not both with the other skills being competent enough to carry him through. In my mind he does not have either skill strength at a sufficient levels. He's a luxury in this side.

D. Hussey won't get a spot in the squad. His Shield form wasn't fantastic in 08/09.

Give you that. Klinger would be a better choice.

Just saw this: over the 3 tests in SA, the Australian with the highest average was..... Mitchell Johnson (85). Compare that with Hussey's average of 22.

Over the six test in 12 innings Hussey made 219. Johnson in 11 innings made 401. A number of Johnson's innings reflected a situation of running out of partners. Awesome effort by the Queenslander.

Was that after the finish of the Test? The commentary box (Maxwell, Roebuck and Coward) were gobsmacked that Katich was not bowled until the death against SA. His shoulder must still be an issue.

I can't remember when, I think he said it in the lead up to the third test, when everyone was talking about his 3 wickets in Durban. And I'm pretty sure it's his shoulder.

Over the six test in 12 innings Hussey made 219. Johnson in 11 innings made 401. A number of Johnson's innings reflected a situation of running out of partners. Awesome effort by the Queenslander.

Agreed, but I can't understand all this talk about Johnson batting at 6. He's over-worked as it is. He plays to take wickets, not make runs. The runs are a nice bonus, but we need him fit for bowling, so he shouldn't be batting any higher than 8.

Mitchell Johnson, sensational.

Good series win in South Africa, 2-1, despite the last test loss by outright (innings and 20 runs).

McGain's figures ......wow. I think that just about wipes him out for the ashes, based on the selectors thoughts of similar circumstances with Krejza.

Australia keep spin option open for Ashes

Ponting doesn't really want to rely on 3 part-timers.

In the article Ponting says that he pulls up sore in his lower back after bowling, so he doesn't want to make him sore before he opens the batting.

Australia keep spin option open for Ashes

Ponting doesn't really want to rely on 3 part-timers.

In the article Ponting says that he pulls up sore in his lower back after bowling, so he doesn't want to make him sore before he opens the batting.

Given Katich and Clarke have injury concerns then it is plausible that Hauritz may get an Ashes berth. Its not a great scenario unless the planets (and the umpires) line up and he gets stacks of wickets.

Given Katich and Clarke have injury concerns then it is plausible that Hauritz may get an Ashes berth. Its not a great scenario unless the planets (and the umpires) line up and he gets stacks of wickets.

Yes, I think so too. No spinner has really stepped up yet and put their hand up. Selectors may choose on gut feel for the Ashes with Hauritz to tie up an end, well at least try and tie up one end.,,,

Australia's answer to Ashley Giles. :(

Where, oh where are the quality spinners that were spruiked that Australia would produce on the back of Shane Warne's brilliance...............we want more "freaks with tweak!!"

Where, oh where are the quality spinners that were spruiked that Australia would produce on the back of Shane Warne's brilliance...............we want more "freaks with tweak!!"

I think mcgain needs more then 1 innings. A good wrist spinner is worth a lot more in england then on flat tracks in S.A.. Warne went for 0/100+ in his first test (not for 9 an over though). If Hauritz gets a game ahead of a straight pace attack or mcgain I may boycot the tour. I'm sure I have the selectors shacking in their boots!

I think mcgain needs more then 1 innings. A good wrist spinner is worth a lot more in england then on flat tracks in S.A.. Warne went for 0/100+ in his first test (not for 9 an over though). If Hauritz gets a game ahead of a straight pace attack or mcgain I may boycot the tour. I'm sure I have the selectors shacking in their boots!

The concern with McGann is that he "choked" under the pressure and did so across a number of spells. At 37, how long will it take to get over that? Regretfully it was one of the worst bowling performances since Johnny Watkins and Chris Mathews.

We dont have the luxury of giving McGann another innings without giving him a five test tour of England! It would be like giving Meesen a 4 year contract!

You are right. A good wrist spinner is valuable anywhere. McGann is a looonnnnggg way from that. We dont have a good wrist spinner.

But be careful about Warne comparisons, not since Benaud had a leg spinner had an impact in England. Warne was a freak.

Unless you can bowl good wrist spin, I think one Monty is enough for either side in this series.

And quite a few of the Indian wickets to fall in the 1st innings were poor shots, rather than especially good balls.

Still, they batted for more than 2 days to save that match. Gambhir's innings was particularly dogged.

Agree about the 1st dig especially after NZ (yes NZ) hit 619 after being 3/23.

I know they batted for more than 2 days.....they could have batted for 2 weeks....its so ho hum.

Particularly after the quality of the SA -Aust tests where when the wickets gave an equal opportunity for bat and ball great cricket arose.

I just dont get the habit of global groundsmen who continually turn out too many batting paradises. Or in the WI, sandpits with cut grass on top!

I just dont get the habit of global groundsmen who continually turn out too many batting paradises. Or in the WI, sandpits with cut grass on top!

Completely with you on this one. Too often pitches are so incredibly lifeless the match is a snore-fest. The SA-Aust series was so memorable because all 6 matches had a result. That's in part because the teams are so evenly matched, but in part because none of the pitches (except maybe the last one) were a batsman's paradise.

Completely with you on this one. Too often pitches are so incredibly lifeless the match is a snore-fest. The SA-Aust series was so memorable because all 6 matches had a result. That's in part because the teams are so evenly matched, but in part because none of the pitches (except maybe the last one) were a batsman's paradise.

I think Perth is a very poor pitch at the moment.