Anyone for cricket?

Whispering_Jack

He says before India slump to 5-15.

Saw the highlights last night. Well done to Martin. Surely a day to remember. Laxman still in, they'll be celebrating if they get him out early.

Re: Aussies. Perform well when the pressure is off.

Katich and Bollinger aren't fit for the Sheffield Shield match vs Victoria, so they've only got the game next week to prove their fitness before Brisbane. Hopefully they can get up.

On Saturday the 15-man squad for the first Test will be announced. This is how I'd do it:

Watson

Katich

Ponting

Clarke

White

North

Haddin

Johnson

Hilfenhaus

Bollinger

Siddle

_________

Doherty

Khawaja/Ferguson

Hughes

George/McKay/Starc

I play White instead of Hussey with Hussey not even making the squad. His form is just not good enough and we need to make the change before he costs us a Test or two. North gets in on the back of scoring a century in his last Test and Sheffield Shield game. Of course he could fail miserably in any other game he plays before Brisbane but I think he'll get the nod.

Khawaja is the batsman who gets in the squad as back up should North misfire. Lineball call between him and Ferguson. Hughes is another reserve bat, largely because of Katich's fitness.

I'd prefer to see Doherty instead of Hauritz, or worse, Smith, but we'll have to see how he and Hauritz go in the Shield between now and then. I think Doherty is better but he didn't make the Australia A side so I don't think he'll be in the mix and I expect Hauritz to be there instead.

I'd start with four pacemen at the Gabba, the ODI the other day, and the Shield game last week, showed that the pitch is undoubtedly made for seamers. I'd start with Johnson, Hilfenhaus, Siddle and Bollinger, but with Bollinger's fitness a query, another pacemen will have to be in the squad. Should be the best performer of George, McKay and Starc (I don't know if SA play anything before Saturday, which doesn't help George). Right now I'd pick Starc for some freshness. He looks really good.

Australian XI team v England in Hobart next week: -

AUSTRALIA A squad

Cameron White (Captain, Vic)

Tim Paine (Vice-captain, Tas)

Mark Cameron (NSW)

Callum Ferguson (SA)

Peter George (SA)

Phil Hughes (NSW)

Usman Khawaja (NSW)

Shaun Marsh (WA, subject to fitness)

Steve O'Keefe (NSW)

Steve Smith (NSW)

Mitchell Starc (NSW).

Cameron White to lead

Nasher can give us an update. :)

Cameron White (Captain, Vic)Tim Paine (Vice-captain, Tas)

Mark Cameron (NSW)

Callum Ferguson (SA)

Peter George (SA)

Phil Hughes (NSW)

Usman Khawaja (NSW)

Steve O'Keefe (NSW)

Steve Smith (NSW)

Mitchell Starc (NSW).

Names in bold are on Test cusp.

Why isnt Doherty there? I wouldnt pick Marsh if he isnt fit. Same goes for Smith.

Cameron White (Captain, Vic)Tim Paine (Vice-captain, Tas)

Mark Cameron (NSW)

Callum Ferguson (SA)

Peter George (SA)

Phil Hughes (NSW)

Usman Khawaja (NSW)

Steve O'Keefe (NSW)

Steve Smith (NSW)

Mitchell Starc (NSW).

Names in bold are on Test cusp.

Why isnt Doherty there? I wouldnt pick Marsh if he isnt fit. Same goes for Smith.

I don't get why Smith is 'on the cusp'. Cusp of which position? Spinner? Doherty spins it more, would be more accurate, and probably deserves a spot based on Shield form more than Smith. Batting? White, Ferguson and/or Khawaja could all bat better than Smith could. All-rounder? Maybe, but I still think with Watson in the side our number 6 should be primarily a batsman.

Agree that Doherty should be there instead of O'Keefe.

I don't get why we're naming our Test side closer to the match.

I don't get why Smith is 'on the cusp'. Cusp of which position? Spinner? Doherty spins it more, would be more accurate, and probably deserves a spot based on Shield form more than Smith. Batting? White, Ferguson and/or Khawaja could all bat better than Smith could. All-rounder? Maybe, but I still think with Watson in the side our number 6 should be primarily a batsman.

I agree regarding Smith.

Agree that Doherty should be there instead of O'Keefe.

I think Smith is a better bat than bowler but not a number 6.

I thought I read somewhere that Smith is carrying an injury in the short form game. So why are they playing him in the longer form?

What are the selectors thinking by selecting him? Agree there are better options in batting and bowling than Smith.

White making 1 doesn't help his causes. Hussey's century is good considering the talent of the bowlers he's facing (Stuart Clark, Mitch Starc, Mark Cameron, Shane Watson, Nathan Hauritz) but I highly doubt the selectors will consider him at all.

Hauritz not doing well 9 overs for 57 without a wicket

anyone know when they Announce the Fan Xi for the Allstar match?

Agreed, titan - David Hussey isn't in the picture at the moment. If they make changes they'll go young.

On England, it's weird they don't have a back-up opener given Cook's been in poor form even before this tour. If he goes out they're going to have to make big chances to their team, given they won't open with Morgan (the likely replacement). Trott, their current #3, is the best candidate to open if Cook's left out, but Morgan is unlikely to replace him at #3 so there'd be another shuffle - maybe Bell back to the spot he's struggled in, with Morgan sliding into ~6 or so?

No wonder Flower is saying Cook will be fine.

White making 1 doesn't help his causes. Hussey's century is good considering the talent of the bowlers he's facing (Stuart Clark, Mitch Starc, Mark Cameron, Shane Watson, Nathan Hauritz) but I highly doubt the selectors will consider him at all.

If ever there was a time for a potential player to score runs or take wickets its NOW over the past month.

Its no good relying on averages over the past couple of seasons if they dont make runs at the critical times. i have always thought that was Brad Hodge's failing (apart from not playing for NSW! :lol: )

White M Hussey and Hauritz really have not done themselves any favours. I am not so sure that D Hussey is out of the picture. Hitting a ton only brings you into focus. I do prefer Ferguson and other young NSW player (name blank)

On England, it's weird they don't have a back-up opener given Cook's been in poor form even before this tour. If he goes out they're going to have to make big chances to their team, given they won't open with Morgan (the likely replacement). Trott, their current #3, is the best candidate to open if Cook's left out, but Morgan is unlikely to replace him at #3 so there'd be another shuffle - maybe Bell back to the spot he's struggled in, with Morgan sliding into ~6 or so?

No wonder Flower is saying Cook will be fine.

Can anyone recall what they did when Trescowthick left the last tour early? Did they move Cook from the 3 to open?

In their previous Test Flintoff wasn't playing. So he came back, Cook moved from 3 to open, Bell moved from 6 to 3 and Flintoff went in at 6.

Thanks

Flintoff was rushed back before time unfit and as Captain.

Its great Cook is out of form. It puts more pressure on Strauss particularly if Bell is at 3.

Bell won't bat at 3 (at least not while Cook is opening).

Certainly not. He will bat at 6, which is where he's batted since returning to the side.

Trott's done well at 3.

The pressure is still on Cook without a replacement opener (though they have Davies in the squad, he's a keeper but I think he opens when he bats). Morgan can come in for Cook, as I think Trott would be OK as an opener.

Fantastic ton in each innings by McDonald, against a test standard attack.(though Starc was injured in the second innings).

He deserves to be looked at seriously by the selectors for the Ashes series.

Probably a better bat, and better bowler(albeit not a spinner) , than North.

He would add variety to our attack, and looks a class batsman to me.

Do any other Demonlanders watch some of the live Telecast on the Cricket Australia website?

Certainly not. He will bat at 6, which is where he's batted since returning to the side.

Trott's done well at 3.

The pressure is still on Cook without a replacement opener (though they have Davies in the squad, he's a keeper but I think he opens when he bats). Morgan can come in for Cook, as I think Trott would be OK as an opener.

...and who bats at 3?

Morgan isn't a #3, and neither are Collingwood or KP.

Bell has failed there many a time, and England have given up on him ever playing at #3.

Fantastic ton in each innings by McDonald, against a test standard attack.(though Starc was injured in the second innings).

He deserves to be looked at seriously by the selectors for the Ashes series.

Probably a better bat, and better bowler(albeit not a spinner) , than North.

He would add variety to our attack, and looks a class batsman to me.

Do any other Demonlanders watch some of the live Telecast on the Cricket Australia website?

AMac is making runs when it counts and has put his name forward with the bat.

I am not sure how AMac adds variety to our attack when he is right arm fast medium with Hilfy and Watson.

...and who bats at 3?

Morgan isn't a #3, and neither are Collingwood or KP.

Bell has failed there many a time, and England have given up on him ever playing at #3.

Desperate times means desperate measures and Bell cannot be out of the mix even though he has a crud record there.

Might be good for Australia if he was there.

Trott should start there at 3 but if Cook is dropped....