It's round 9 but forget Naitanui,Rich...

Jack7

He's a first year player, what do you expect?

and for the record:

Cale Morton - 71% efficiency at an average of 15.44 disposals per game

Rhys Palmer - 66% efficiency at an average of 21.75 disposals per game

Also, whoever said that a 19 year old has reached their full potential.

Have you ever even played a game before?

No matter how good you are already there is always improvement in you.

There's a reason 99% of footballers don't play their best football until they're into their early to mid-20s

Actually ive played alot of footy, sorry I didn't explain that you don't know anything about an internet poster in his own life......

What do you know better than anyone else about recruiting? id suggest not any more than myself, im going by what I have read pre draft etc, people who I would assume saw more of Palmer/Morton than you.

If you read the original post I said that I wanted Palmer, because I knew he could go immediately. He has, and he will go for 150+ games minimum. Just said in relation to the OP saying he is easily better and going to be better than Morton is not true.

That said Morton could easily turn out a shocker in 4 years and de-listed. He has been fantastic and I think will be an upper class midfielder for the next 8 years. However from what I have seen he does not have much room left to develop. IN MY OPINION, Morton has alot more potential.

You could've argued Judd didn't have much room for improvement when he was 19/20 and we all know how much he's done since then

You could argue anything over any player, thing or myth and put together the words. But it's hard to argue with recruiter knowledge in this day and age.

That is my point, the OP has no right to claim Morton as a wasted pick, just like no one has the right to claim Myers was a wasted pick.

Palmer has had a good start to his first season, for now, it should be left at that because they could all end up duds.

The outstanding stat is that Palmer has won 15 more contested possessions and laid twice as many tackles in 1 less game.Morton is only winning 3 contested possessions a game,the rest are receives.

Kruezer has had more hitouts than Wonaeamirri too, whats your point?

Morton's current role is not to win contested possessions. It's possible he is even being somewhat protected by the coaches in this regard, Bailey said earlier in the year they would be cautious with him.

Using stats to compare first players and their potential seems fairly pointless.

It's an interesting looking bottom half of the eight...

We're nine rounds in and:

Every side in the bottom eight is still in a position to qualify for a Priority Pick... You may well laugh, but the Blues had won 4 games by round 8 then went on to lose the next 14 games last year...

I think The Saints, Blues, Toigs and Port will definitely win 5+... Obviously the Blues and Toigs are the most important there as they can still get a priority before round 1... After that I think one of WC, Freo and Essendon will be fighting it out for bottom place with us.

A few weeks ago I had us as a definite for last spot, but the Freo win and the Hawks games do not happen to crappy football teams. We're not the Blues of recent years, or the Toigs of recent years. We have problems, but they don't extend quite that far.

I would be happy enough if we won 4 or less, but ended up 15th. We avoid a spoon, probably get Rich, and we also get our pick 18 and 20 or whatever... The priority AFTER the first round, plus the second round pick are kind of unimportant in terms of where they occur, so long as they're before 20.

And with the dearth of tall players, I would think trading one or both of those picks for a higher pick (say, 4-8) would be a GREAT idea...

Looks to me that all the Morton bros are fairly slight

Mitch is a solid unit for 185cm.

Cale is 192cm and if he fills out like his eldest brother he should be playing CHF.

Ans if he plays on a wing then he should be playing it like Richo is today; not alink man but someone who looks to read the play at either end of the ground, being a kick ahead of the play.

It is so ludicrous to say Palmer has no upside!!!

Every 18/19 year old in the AFL has enormous upside in their game,to say an 18 year won't get any better is unbelievable.

Palmer won't mature and peak until he's 23-26 years of age and when he does,i can't wait to see it,he's a ball magnet and only Ratten and Misiti have averaged more possessions in their first 8 games than Palmer.

He's had a better first 8 games than Judd,Kerr,Mitchell,Black,Lappin,Hodge....................

He's much more of a natural athlete/runner with a bigger engine than Morton.

Morton will be a good player,Palmer will be a gun.

We will see after 100 games.

Hmm.. is there any way to break this thread into it's two distinct parts?

Part one -

I don't think Melbourne will get the spoon. I think Essendon are in the poo and frankly they can wallow there for a decade for all I care.

They are this year's team most likely to tank, given that they are already playing kids ahead of better-performed and completely deserving seniors.

Their % is also going backwards badly.

Fremantle... anything can happen there, but probably wont. Another spoon contender.

West Coast... beats me. They seem to mostly suck but will probably assemble half a dozen wins.

I think we're in with a real shot at climing the double - the extra pick for having just the four wins, AND not getting the spoon on percentage, withh Essendon also on 4 wins but by the end of round 22, lower % than us.

Because, y'see, we're improving. Essendon are not.

Part two -

:wub: Cale Morton :wub:

If Travis Johnstone had been ten centremetres taller, a lot fitter, had a good attitude and played like it was a privilege to be allowed on the 'G, he might've been as good as Cale Morton will be. Morton definately has his brain switched on, too, which means career-long improvement.

And don't get me wrong, TJ is a good footballer despite everything.

As to comparisons with other new players like Palmer, well, I think Morton brings us something we need more than Palmer, given the presence of Jones, Mclean, Moloney and Sylvia in and under. Other than that I'm not gonna split hairs.

Essendon are our only competition for ths spoon. They are frigging awful.

Freo and WC will win a few more home games.

Freo will get a couple of players back and win a few home games. I think they will finish above us.

Ess will get Lucas back and he and Llloyd should get there forward line moving. Could be a toss up for bottom spot between us and Ess.

Since there mids are ordinary they may go for Rich if he is available at their pick.

I would not be surprised if we put a few wins together late in the season..

I completely disagree with this thread.

Pathetic thread which lacks any insight at all and also seems to completely lack research.

There only 4 teams who have vying for bottom 4 position!

Freo have lost their last 3-4 games after leading at 3/4 time. they are not far off. they will start winning games very soon and with games at home in subi, are bound to win a few.

As for Essendon, have you even looked at their draw.... They play WCE twice, Melb, Freo, Carlton and Richmond in the run home. basically they play all the bottom teams. With Lucas and McVeigh getting back to full fitness, i have a feeling they will start winning games.

WCE just thrashed Adelaide. they are not that bad... plus have Beau Waters, Butler and Kerr to come back into their side.

I think we still have a strong case for the spoon unfortunately (or fortunately if you take the perspective on draft picks).

As for the Palmer comment---- Palmer looks great, however cannot compare to Morton who looks like a skinny runt, yet seems to consistently kick a goal a game and rack up 15-18 classy disposals. Morton is developing beautifully. if u look at his physique you would legitimately argue he is 2-3 years away from senior footy, yet still seems to look at home at afl level. Too early to start wishing we picked up a different player when Morton going swimmingly.

Completely agree. To have any chance of avoiding the spoon we must play with the same passion we showed last Sunday for the rest of our games. Unfortunately, we don't seem to be able to do this. With a top draft pick we can go places next year.