Bell as a Defensive Forward

Doggo

I dont think i've seen it mentioned anywhere before, but how do people feel about playing Bell as a defensive half-forward?

There are many arguments for and against the 'Bell to midfield' case, the major ones being his lack of awareness and poor descision making under pressure, not ideal for inside midfield situations. His form has been poor and its these key areas that he has regressed in this year under immense pressure down back. I dont believe these would be as much of an issue playing in the forward half, where he could make the opposition's best running defender accountable, use his tackling and strong body to lock the ball inside 50, and become dangerous when we have the ball, using his speed, good foot skills and strong mark for his size. Would be perfect for roles on Lindsay Gilbee/Heath Shaw-type attacking defenders who always carve us up because guys like Robbo dont chase, and a good learning curve to help him improve his own attacking game.

Thoughts?

Not a bad thought. Has the kick, and the straight-line pace. I would say no, but I don't think they've tried him there. Certainly not in recent years.

He certainly needs a shake up. Should be on the way to dominating by now at his age.

i think bell has done a reasonable job this year as a defender. he has spoiled reasonably, he has ran hard at contests. he hasnt had the effectiveness going the other way - run with the ball etc. but i think as a pure defender he hasnt been doing too bad.

perhaps as a flank or pocket it might be a possibility. but remember, most people on here claim that shuffling positions is ruining players careers. do we really want to shuffle another player?

A defensive half forward???

I would prefer a HF to actually win the ball and make some impact on the scoreboard. Hell thats the best way to make a HB accountable.

And the things required to "lock" the ball inside 50 should be the requirement of more preferred forward options.

Hell, if Belly cant cope with the peripheral stuff running straight lines in the backline, he is going to really struggle when runs toward the ball and has to turn around to attack the ball. He aint no Steve Johnson.

Not every player has to "dominate", you know.

Actually, I think they do. At least once or twice. I certainly don't mean on a regular basis. When you think back to some of our dour, hard-working defenders that had glaring faults, like Brownie and Ward, (both bad kicks) both could dominate areas of the game. Brownie would regularly get huge possessions, and Ward could damage the opposition on the rebound if left unchecked... he even kicked 4 goals one weekend.

Bell's best match to date was the one he played on Welsh against the crows last year. But that's one match out of 50. At that rate he'll play 4 blinders in his career if he plays 200 games. He's deep into his best years as a player of his size and designation. Having played so many games last year and held down a spot, he should be getting better, not declining like his older counterparts.

Actually, I think they do. At least once or twice. I certainly don't mean on a regular basis. When you think back to some of our dour, hard-working defenders that had glaring faults, like Brownie and Ward, (both bad kicks) both could dominate areas of the game. Brownie would regularly get huge possessions, and Ward could damage the opposition on the rebound if left unchecked... he even kicked 4 goals one weekend.

Bell's best match to date was the one he played on Welsh against the crows last year. But that's one match out of 50. At that rate he'll play 4 blinders in his career if he plays 200 games. He's deep into his best years as a player of his size and designation. Having played so many games last year and held down a spot, he should be getting better, not declining like his older counterparts.

I don't think slapping Bell in the forward line is going to help anybody at this stage. He hasn't been as good this year as last year, but then few have. I think he's been trying his best to get to constests and compete, but the incessant inflow means he is constantly working against the tide, plus his aggression to get to the contest has meant that he has arrived late, high, frustrated, or a combination of the three. Not much of his endeavour has been rewarded this year, but it will as the team improves.

He's still among our best users of the ball, is up there with both the tackle count and 1%ers, but he's making too many mistakes. Of the (relatively) regular defenders/rebounders, only Bartram has given away more free kicks and committed more clangers per possession. Still, I'd prefer Bell to retain his aggression at the contest and the opposition and slowly wind back his mistakes, than to go down the Brad Miller road of reducing aggro and effectiveness. Bell has too much talent to waste with half-hearted or timid efforts.

I think Bell is still learning how to play footy. Last year he learned how to play well. This year he's struggling to learn how not to play poorly and make mistakes. Being a defender in MFC08 is not the easiest learning environment. It will be a number of seasons before he is a consistently excellent player. Whether his body can handle the load, we will have to wait and see.

Ward and Browndog dominate?

Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

As you stated, Browndog would get heaps of possessions but would turn them over with kicks to Neitas shin.

Ward can be damaging if left unchecked. :wacko: Bad kicking again but personally i don't really remember Ward ever picking up a man. Maybe hence the reason for being unchecked all the time. Or was it a set play by the opposition? Let them kick it to Ward?

What a crock Bell's only played one good game in his life.

He's smashed Farmer on at least two other occasions and IMO he was good for portions of '06 and for the most of '07.

Belly doesn't need to dominate the game. I see him as a defender/stopper so he just needs to beat his man and that's going to be hard without midfield pressure.

'08 is a bad start to Belly but a certain Darren Glass hasn't been too flash either. Shouldn't he be better then that after years holding down his spot?

Swap Bell with Sylvia.

Logical win, win.

One will learn how to be defensice while the other will learn how to attack.

IMHO Bell hasn't been that bad down back given the situation. Let's no forget he hasn't had experienced defenders in the team consistently for the past couple of years. Whelan in the team will let him play further up the ground, Rivers can teach him a bit about positioning and Wheatley about running with the ball and attacking. But a stint in the forward half wouldn't hurt either. He may surprise us.

Go Dees

I don't know if any of you guys know, but Belly Played all his junior footy as a forward and as a midfielder. In the TAC cup he averaged approximately 2 goals a game. He only started playing as a defender when he got drafted to the club. From his past, i'd like bails to give him a crack up forward.

I don't know if any of you guys know, but Belly Played all his junior footy as a forward and as a midfielder. In the TAC cup he averaged approximately 2 goals a game. He only started playing as a defender when he got drafted to the club.

That's interesting.

I don't know if any of you guys know, but Belly Played all his junior footy as a forward and as a midfielder. In the TAC cup he averaged approximately 2 goals a game. He only started playing as a defender when he got drafted to the club. From his past, i'd like bails to give him a crack up forward.

Being from South Australia, Bell would not have played TAC U/18 footy as a Junior.

Point taken about playing as a forward/mid prior to being drafted. Seems a bit strange taking a solid medium-defender type from Junior footy with our 1st pick in the draft (pick 14).

Being from South Australia, Bell would not have played TAC U/18 footy as a Junior.

Point taken about playing as a forward/mid prior to being drafted. Seems a bit strange taking a solid medium-defender type from Junior footy with our 1st pick in the draft (pick 14).

My bad, I meant the U/18 championships, not Tac cup. He was drafted and a Midfielder/Forward