• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Rebuild: the beginning

the fork

Mediocre.

The word I and many other Melbourne supporters have used to describe our club over the years. It has described our players, their attitude, the clubs efforts off the field, our results and in particular our culture.

All I have wanted, for a very long while, was an admission there was something wrong at the heart of the club. To get “vital”, act meaningfully and drop the clichés of lines in the sand.

As we know things came to a head in 2007 and since then perpetual change has occurred. These changes have enabled the core of what has been at the club for years to reveal itself:

Utter Dysfunction.

And so finally in 2008 we have a new word to describe The Mfc:

Dysfunctional.

My very quick assessment of that’s going wrong this year is that even after last years clear out we still have so much deadwood on our list that is unable to operate under a competitive game plan. We don’t have enough skilful, thinking footballers who are willing to lead by example and play not for themselves but the jumper, the club and most importantly each other.

We’ve bottomed out. There’s no pretending anymore, we can’t pull off the unfortunate less-than-a-goal-losses anymore. We’ve been stripped naked for all too see and I say: Thank God.

Change has brought us to the first meaningful stage of the physical, emotional and cultural rebuild that the Melbourne Football Club has needed for over four decades.

It’s happening, posters on Demonland are chopping up their membership cards and sending them to the club. Players are on the brink of unexpected mid-season retirements and we are set for the wooden spoon. But what I choose to focus on is the fact that every single player we drafted last year was a noted leader at their previous club.

We as a club, supporters included, should consider our personal pain as a vital part of this rebuild. This is the crux of the emotional. The concepts of acceptable mediocrity, half-lived potential and “nearly” or “maybe next year” need to be replaced with a culture of desire for a well deserved win.

If you’re like me the Mfc is not just a part of your life but a part of who you are. Your heart, just like my heart beats true for the red and the blue. It is only with the support of you and every other Melbourne supporter will this once great club, will be great again.

At first I thought this was going to be another one of those 'stoopid demons why shd I care it's no my fault' posts, but I like your attitude.

Agree 100% - we need to face the hard truths that we need to build some very basic things up to an acceptable standard.

A number of our potentially great players have been held to just good or less, because they have done the 'ordinary' to an extraordinary level.

Good post.

At last, someone with an iota of common sense. I am very excited about what's happening. To build a new house you have to knock down the old one. DB reminds me of Northey, only smarter (thank the lord).

Enjoy watching a team being turned from a bunch of downhill skiers into a hard working, hard running, skilfull unit - who work for each other and ultimate success. DB excites me more than any coach we've had since the great NS (although, I must admit I was always thrilled by Big Carl's elbows).

At last, someone with an iota of common sense. I am very excited about what's happening. To build a new house you have to knock down the old one. DB reminds me of Northey, only smarter (thank the lord).

Enjoy watching a team being turned from a bunch of downhill skiers into a hard working, hard running, skilfull unit - who work for each other and ultimate success. DB excites me more than any coach we've had since the great NS (although, I must admit I was always thrilled by Big Carl's elbows).

A voice of reason. Transformation requires self awareness and openness. When we as a club believe we are 'unlucky' or 'not too far off' then we delude ourselves, and hinder any chance of a turnaround. I hope that all supporters will only tear up their memberships if they will rush out and buy a second one.

Football is a passionate sport, and I love to see the 'passion' that this board sparks between opposing points of view (and a few personal challenges!). But let not passion get in the way of reality - we are at the 'bottom' (or pretty close) now. Don't over-expect because this team cannot (currently) deliver - that is the heart of disappointment, folks! Passionately support the club, have your say and enjoy the challenge of opinion. But never walk away.

We are at the 'bottom' at a very dangerous time. If too many people walk away when your club needs you the most, you may be the ones to regret the end of a great football club. Stand firm and resolute behind the team, and dont expect more than what they can deliver (then all the surprises are positive!). We have to start somewhere, and unfortunately, it is here. But wherever here is, I stand there too. Go Dees.

Awesome post, you took the words right out of my mouth!!

Over the last 12 months we have seen the club stripped back to the bone and the re-building has begun. The quick fixes have been dispensed in favour of a complete overhaul.

About F**kin' time!

Sure, it is painful at the minute, but IMO it is all for the greater good. Not only on-field, but off-field as well!! The building blocks are in place, but beware, it may be a slow build!

there is one thing that people can take heart from.

Carlton have spent 6 years down the bottom before they have started to make the rise off the bottom.

People might think, [censored] i can't take 6 years of this.

HOWEVER, Carlton lost many draft picks, and wasted lots of draft picks of recycled players in order to stay competitive.

We have 3-4 years of drafting behind us already- Mclean, Syvlia, Jones, Pettard, Frawley, Morton, Grimes, Maric, Dunn, Bate and Newton are talented youngsters and are atleast a start towards the rebuild.

In that sense, we are 3-4 years ahead of the Carlton team of 6 years ago.

Sure, we might spend 2-3 years in the bottom 4. It seems likely. but i don't think it's gonna be more than that. With Neitz, White, Yze and McDonald retiring in the next 2 years we'll have plenty of salary cap to get a superstar perhaps also. Plus a few top draft picks will help also.

there is one thing that people can take heart from.

Carlton have spent 6 years down the bottom before they have started to make the rise off the bottom.

People might think, [censored] i can't take 6 years of this.

HOWEVER, Carlton lost many draft picks, and wasted lots of draft picks of recycled players in order to stay competitive.

We have 3-4 years of drafting behind us already- Mclean, Syvlia, Jones, Pettard, Frawley, Morton, Grimes, Maric, Dunn, Bate and Newton are talented youngsters and are atleast a start towards the rebuild.

In that sense, we are 3-4 years ahead of the Carlton team of 6 years ago.

Sure, we might spend 2-3 years in the bottom 4. It seems likely. but i don't think it's gonna be more than that. With Neitz, White, Yze and McDonald retiring in the next 2 years we'll have plenty of salary cap to get a superstar perhaps also. Plus a few top draft picks will help also.

Carlton's six years in the wilderness were also sustained by their off field problems. I dont think that their win on Saturday necessarily heralds their rise. While they have recruited Judd and have some young No 1 picks over the past few years they have alot of crud still on the list and could be years away from re surfacing.

I think one of MFC's and DB's projects is to see which of those 3 to 4 years of drafting are going to make it. Some will develop into good players some will not.

I hope we can access some of the best talent in the comp through the draft. However I am worried about the introduction of teams 17 and 18 and the impact of any concessions they may get.

What a great thread this is so far...... well spoken all of you.

We are taking the first steps in what is likely to be an uncomfortable journey ... but stay on board .... the rewards will follow!

Mfc FOREVER!!

Look, I'm the first to agree with you. But how long has this been going on. We 'rebuilded' the club during Barassi's 5 year plan. Swooper got us to the pointy end in the finals. After that he said that he couldnt get any more out of the playing group with the talent they had. He was our best coach since Norm Smith. I pencilled in 10 or 11 win definate wins this year and had us 2-2 at this point. The playing group to be a premiership side has gone and the next competitive phase wont be for another 7 seven years. Tough i know but you have to be realistic.

While the Fork has posted an entertaining and thought provoking post, could other posters please avoid quoting the whole poster verbatim and choose the following options:

1. quote but edit the quote by inserting ........

2. if you do want to comment specifically on a particular points or points raised by the author then limit your quoted area to those specific areas.

By following these guidelines you improve the readibility of this thread for others and reduce the amount of server space that is taken up and is costly to the owners of this site who are not employed by the Club and fund this site voluntarily.

Thanks

I hope we can access some of the best talent in the comp through the draft. However I am worried about the introduction of teams 17 and 18 and the impact of any concessions they may get.

Rhino, you've finally got it. Not only will the 17th and 18th teams have draft concessions, they'll also have access to uncontracted players. That's why it's a ludicrous time to be bottoming out, and rebuilding. And I don't think it was Bailey's intention to rebuild when he took on the coaching job.

What makes you think that Bailey didn't originally think he was going to rebuild?

Was it the part where he said that he'd build the team around the group of under 23s?

There's a huge difference between building your team around a core group of players in the same age bracket, and rebuilding. By your reckoning, he's building a team around players who aren't suited to his game plan. McLean, Jones, Moloney, Sylvia aren't suited by a run and carry handball game plan.

And if his plan was to rebuild, why wouldn't he have traded Robertson?

There's a huge difference between building your team around a core group of players in the same age bracket, and rebuilding. By your reckoning, he's building a team around players who aren't suited to his game plan. McLean, Jones, Moloney, Sylvia aren't suited by a run and carry handball game plan.

Moloney and Jones in their present "grab it kick it" model aren't suitable for any game plan. Both are good ball winners that need to work on their decisions with the ball, i.e. when to run and when to kick. Both of these blokes get it around the wrong way all too often. It's pretty easy to blame the game plan, but I think these two have work to do on their decision making.

There's room for an in form McLean in any game plan. He's capable of playing in close, as well as running with it when needs be.

I'm not sure what the difference between "building a team around players" and "rebuilding" is. You must have some knowledge of coaches semantics that I don't, because to me they mean exactly the same thing.

Moloney and Jones in their present "grab it kick it" model aren't suitable for any game plan. Both are good ball winners that need to work on their decisions with the ball, i.e. when to run and when to kick. Both of these blokes get it around the wrong way all too often. It's pretty easy to blame the game plan, but I think these two have work to do on their decision making.

There's room for an in form McLean in any game plan. He's capable of playing in close, as well as running with it when needs be.

I don't recall anyone being critical of Jones' decision making last year. What's changed?

I don't recall anyone being critical of Jones' decision making last year. What's changed?

Nothing at all has changed. He had the kick-and-hope element to his game last year as well. I have no idea why nobody commented on it before.

Nothing at all has changed. He had the kick-and-hope element to his game last year as well. I have no idea why nobody commented on it before.

But if his teammates know where his kicks are going to go, where's the problem? He's getting caught out this year because when under pressure, he's instructed to handball or look for the perfect option. He doesn't have the athleticism to weave out of trouble.

I can just see it now. The brightsiders on this forum will be calling for Moloney and Jones to be traded because they aren't adept at Bailey's game plan.

BTW, Hawthorn and St.Kilda rebuilt, by trading experienced players for top draft picks, and building their side around them. Brisbane on the other hand are building their side around experienced players, and topping up through the draft.

Surely you can see the difference.

We aren't in as dire trouble on field as the Blues........we have a lot to work with already...........but we have a few big holes with key position players that don't get filled by anything other than top 10 picks!

If it means two years of bottoming out, then so be it.........we need consecutive years of high draft picks. I hate to say it, but there is no other way around it. Players like Neitz and White don't get replaced by anything other than quality, and picks outside the top 10 are just too hit and miss.

But if his teammates know where his kicks are going to go, where's the problem? He's getting caught out this year because when under pressure, he's instructed to handball or look for the perfect option. He doesn't have the athleticism to weave out of trouble.

I can just see it now. The brightsiders on this forum will be calling for Moloney and Jones to be traded because they aren't adept at Bailey's game plan.

How are his team mates ever going to know where his kicks are going to go? I don't think even he knows a lot of the time. He just bombs it in the air with no real regard to where it might land. Any time it lands in the arms of one of our blokes is pot luck and nothing more. That goes for this year and last. At present it's the difference between him being an elite inside midfielder and not. Name me one other elite inside midfielder who just blazes the ball out of the middle when he gets it.

I can't think of a single decent inside midfielder who can't handball well under pressure. It's the biggest weakness in Jones' game, but it's one that can be ironed out if he's willing.

I don't think anyone around here would call for him to be traded at this point in their career. Not anyone with a clue, anyway.

BTW, Hawthorn and St.Kilda rebuilt, by trading experienced players for top draft picks, and building their side around them. Brisbane on the other hand are building their side around experienced players, and topping up through the draft.

You only get to take route #2 if you've got decent senior players to build around. The senior blokes Hawthorn traded such as Hay and Thompson were hardly what I'd call top tier players. Brisbane had a number of elite players to build their list around such as Lappin, Black, Power, Bradshaw et al. Hawthorn had no such luxury. The only marquee player they had was Crawf (who's still there btw, by your logic he should've been traded).

I'm afraid we're in route #1. That's why Travis Johnstone is no longer here.

Hawthorn rebuilt. Brisbane are topping up around their mature stars who are already there: Lappin, Brown, Power, Black, Bradshaw, Charman. Why else did they pick up Johnstone? It's not because they are looking beyond the next 3 years. We are 'building a team' around immature players who are under 23. How you could compare our position with

Brisbane is beyond me.

That's a more definite distinction that when I told people that I distinguished between quick and fast!

Hawthorn rebuilt and brought in players that they thought could play the way Clarkson wanted them to. He traded out the players he didn't think could, such as Thompson, Hay, Lonie, Everitt and Rawlings. We've already started out with this by trading Johnstone. Who was the last experienced player that Brisbane traded by choice?

Hawthorn rebuilt. Brisbane are topping up around their mature stars who are already there: Lappin, Brown, Power, Black, Bradshaw, Charman. Why else did they pick up Johnstone? It's not because they are looking beyond the next 3 years. We are 'building a team' around immature players who are under 23. How you could compare our position with

Brisbane is beyond me.

That's a more definite distinction that when I told people that I distinguished between quick and fast!

Hawthorn rebuilt and brought in players that they thought could play the way Clarkson wanted them to. He traded out the players he didn't think could, such as Thompson, Hay, Lonie, Everitt and Rawlings. We've already started out with this by trading Johnstone. Who was the last experienced player that Brisbane traded by choice?

That's my point AOB. Bailey is playing with fire by building a team around players who don't have the physical prowess to play the way he want's them to. And with the advent of the 2 new teams, he won't get any relief in the drafts to come.

And you are right. In football terms there is a difference between quick and fast. Daniel Bell is fast but not quick.

Surely you can see the difference.

Jones does not know where some of his kicks are going. His foot disposal is a little flakey when free and a raffle under pressure. Its been a problem since he started and was discussed on this site ad nauseam over the last two years.

He does not need the athleticism to weave just needs to learn to think and make the first option stick not necessarily the perfect option. He is also hampered by the lack of assistance from teammates.

Nasher is right when he says no one with any clue would trade Jones at this point.

Jones can definitely make it. Its now the 3rd year running Moloney cannot run out a football game without injury from OP. I glad he impresses your ambitions. Regardless, his weakness was his one dimensional disposal choices and his lack of defensive pressure. I sure he will get a big price on the trade table. :rolleyes:

Exactly right Bob on the dispositions of Hawthorn/ St Kilda and Brisbane. We are no where near a Brisbane. In fact we forfeited what the Hawks and Saints did in trading NQR quality players when we could have.

Jones can definitely make it. Its now the 3rd year running Moloney cannot run out a football game without injury from OP. I glad he impresses your ambitions. Regardless, his weakness was his one dimensional disposal choices and his lack of defensive pressure. I sure he will get a big price on the trade table. :rolleyes:

Exactly right Bob on the dispositions of Hawthorn/ St Kilda and Brisbane. We are no where near a Brisbane. In fact we forfeited what the Hawks and Saints did in trading NQR quality players when we could have.

Again Rhino, you're just reinforcing my argument. Bailey is building a team and a game plan around players in the under 23 bracket, who can't carry it out. Sylvia falls into the same category as Moloney I assume?

What's your vision of our list in the next 2 years? And it's a given that Neitz, Yze, White, McDonald and Holland would have retired, and Weetra and Warnock will probably be cut. Who will replace them?

Fantastic post Fork,

Took the words right out of my mouth brother.

Alright we know we have to rebuild.

I don't know much about when players contracts are up or when they are due for retirement. Is the club able to delist or trade players that are not performing without happening to pay them out? When are the next draft pics up, is there a mid season pic? Do you think there is any chance of trading some of our older players?

Basically I know there are a lot of fans out there that know this stuff. I am hoping to see if we are able to put together an agreed sequence over the short and long term of how we are going to rebuild.

Hard task but great if we can share, sort and construct a inventory of ideas.