Let's end the curse

furious d

Was just reading about the Norm Smith curse over at bigfooty. I for one would love to see the club attempt a symbolic apology to the great man and his family as part of our 150th.

Upon being sacked in 65 Norm said the club would never recover, and it never has.

Johnny Warren was instrumental in lifting the socceroo's curse placed on them by an african witchdoctor after their first world cup in the 70's. Not only did they make the next world cup, they made the second round.

Some will no doubt call me a superstitious fool, but at the very least it will create a positive vibe, some good karma, around the club. At best it could be a placebo that gives the lads a little more belief, a bit more mental fortitude toward the end of a long season (when they traditionally fall in a heap during our good years).

Love to hear your thoughts on this. If enough are on board mabye we could approach the club

I like it. I don't know if I believe it, but it's publicity, and dealing with "a curse" out in the media implies that the club has a culture. It's probably one of the chief reasons Warren did it. It gets you thinking about tradition and superstition in sport, heightening the mystique...

I can't think of who it would hurt.

Guest melbman

I like the idea too.

It recognises Norms achievements, pays respect to him and draws some media attention to the club and to the fact that we have numerous flags and a past history of success

Didn't the Pies have a symbolic funeral for the "collywobbles", complete with casket and procession, then go on to win the flag or did they win the flag first?

A curse? I think not. More like 30 years of incompetent management.

Agree.

While the Club seemed harsh on Smith, Smith was the not the easiest person to work with. As his achievements were well noted, his sometime tempestuous moods rankled players and officials. After 11 years, some of these issues begin to wear hard.

At the end 1964, MFC was tired on and off the field after a stellar 11 years and 6 flags. The game was changing from the rules and protocols that MFC dominated by for so long. Barassi going was just the start.

If we are going to offer apologies, I would like to include Alves, Hardeman and Wells. The Club treated their few champions of that era like cheap meat.

Another 'curse' used by fans as an easy excuse of mediocrity, instead of thinking about what is actually wrong and doing something about it.

In Boston the 'curse of the bambino' was used so frequently to explain away their troubles for 86 years that even the players accepted the maudlin story of neverending doom. It took some of the most aloof and relaxed personalities of the last decades in baseball for the players to get past the curse: Damon, Ramirez, Ortiz, Martinez, Lowe, and Arroyo. The rest had to be consummate professionals that gave the curse little thought: Varitek, Mueller, Wakefield, and Schilling.

In other words - if this catches on, this crap about 'Norm's curse,' then the fans and players will have a ready made excuse for failure.

I don't think it matters whether people believe in the curse, i think it could be a chance to look back on a significant part of our history and mend some fences.

Being a relatively newer fan/member of the MFC (i say relatively in reference to our long history) of 15 years i can't imagine what it must be like for those who witnessed our last premiership and then the sacking of Norm Smith, but i recon the gesture alone is worth something and should definately be looked at by our marketing and promotions team.

(I just remembered then that the club said much of the focus for our 150th year will be centred around the Queens Birthday match, wouldn't it be great if we included his family in match day celebrations)

I agree it couldn't hurt as a lot of young members have probably never heard of "Norms Curse"

I posted the curse on bigfooty, and only found the article by accident (never heard it before then)

We argue why MFC deserve to be part of the competition and history is one of the main reasons....

To say 'sorry' would create a bit of media hype... have the MFC all over the papers and tell the younger generation about the MFC and our history.... perfect in our 150th year...

Melbourne was a powerhouse club that was bigger than richmond, carlton, essendon and could rival collingwood, not many people remember that, this would at least sell the product...

As for the curse.... never heard of it... don't believe in it... but it would be good publicity....

Guest redandbluethruandthru

I am prepared to sacrifice a virgin to rid the Dee's of "Norm's Curse".....................

oh crap.....I forgot ...I live in Tassie, there are no virgins here.......Only hot cousiins ...Grrrrrrrr ;)

As for the curse.... never heard of it... don't believe in it... but it would be good publicity....

And isn't that the real reason to do it? Curse is garbage, as was the Bambino and the Johnny Warren one, but it adds a bit of spice and god knows MFC needs a bit of spice.

I am prepared to sacrifice a virgin to rid the Dee's of "Norm's Curse".....................

oh crap.....I forgot ...I live in Tassie, there are no virgins here.......Only hot cousiins ...Grrrrrrrr ;)

HA!!!!!!!!

Do it. Awesome idea with so many benefits.

Let's get a petitition going on all 3 MFC forums, stating "We are a passionate group of MFC supporters, called The Demons Exorcism of Normie's Curse, asking for fellow supporters to sign a petition so we can have a formal ceramony to:

-Firstly thank Norm Smith for all his wonderful work over the years and his countless premierships with the red and the blue.

-Apologize to his family for the way he was terribly treated when he was sacked as coach.

-Finally and most importantly, to remove Norm's curse by way of a public exorcism.

If we start to get some serious support from the 3 main forums and supporter base, i would then like to make a "Press Release Statement" to all the media, (Herald Sun, The Age, The Australian, Channel's 2, 7 9, 10, sbs, Fox Sports, 3AW, SEN, etc., announcing, "The Demons will be exorcising their Demons, The Curse of Norm Smith will be lifted". The media will gobble this up. It will be on the news on every channel and will be discussed about on talk back radio, no doubt with both positive and negative feedback.

Ideally we would lke to have the consent of the MFC on board, but would they be up for it? Lets first seek our supporters views, then we can take it to the club for their consent.

Think of the publicity, the column cm's, the exposure to our club and sponsors.

As a minimum it would be a hot topic for a good 7 days while it was discussed in the media, longer if we managed to get the go ahead with it.

The build up would be huge and the actual ceromony would make back page of the Herald Sun for sure.

It would be a very positive move and could proove to be a real instigator of attitude change down at our club.

We will just have to keep it quiet over in China. They may not like the Demons/Exorcism stuff.

Who wants in? Can someone please copy this to the other forums?

The Petition Starts from here (please copy below):

Petitionor Number 1 - Haydo - Yes

Agree.

While the Club seemed harsh on Smith, Smith was the not the easiest person to work with. As his achievements were well noted, his sometime tempestuous moods rankled players and officials. After 11 years, some of these issues begin to wear hard.

At the end 1964, MFC was tired on and off the field after a stellar 11 years and 6 flags. The game was changing from the rules and protocols that MFC dominated by for so long. Barassi going was just the start.

If we are going to offer apologies, I would like to include Alves, Hardeman and Wells. The Club treated their few champions of that era like cheap meat.

Not sure whether you were around then but I was and there was a feeling of disbelief when it happened. Whatever the reasons Norm Smith was the greatest coach we have ever had and one of the best ever to coach an AFL/VFL side.

There are plenty around my vintage that will tell you the club has never been the same since and whilst I don't believe in curse's the fact is we have been a nothing club since that day.

It's interesting to me that the AFL have a Norm Smith Medal but we as a club have nothing to honour the great man and the idea of having an award named after him and apologising to his family would be a good start.

Not sure whether you were around then but I was and there was a feeling of disbelief when it happened. Whatever the reasons Norm Smith was the greatest coach we have ever had and one of the best ever to coach an AFL/VFL side.

There are plenty around my vintage that will tell you the club has never been the same since and whilst I don't believe in curse's the fact is we have been a nothing club since that day.

It's interesting to me that the AFL have a Norm Smith Medal but we as a club have nothing to honour the great man and the idea of having an award named after him and apologising to his family would be a good start.

no.7.....time to mend bridges and move on ....never a better time than NOW, in our 150th year.