Jeff White

GawnWithTheWind

Jeff White is now 30... getting closer to 31.. So how many years does this great have left with us?

How old can ruckmen last for?? Before things start going reallly wrong and they are spending more time on the sidelines then out on the ground...

Meeson could be the developing ruckman under him, but who will go with him? Johnson or Jamar?

Can any of these three take a number one spot in the ruck? Jeff will leave massive shoes to fill...

Sorry so many questions, just interested in thoughts on him... i'll be sad to see him leave in a couple years

Yep. We're in a spot of bother with him. We had Stynes, then we got White... we've had good ruckmen for as long as I've known what a footy looked like...

He's on about 250 games I think... So there's no reason why he can't hold the duties for another season. But beyond that, I'd be surprised if he would play all that much more good footy. So basically, we have to look to one of the three younger guys to develop.

What happened to the days when ruckmen were recruited and were immediately guns... Everyone knew White was going to be a great player from when he was shaped like an upside-down coathanger... These days you have to select them late in the draft or in the rookie draft and wait 5 years...

White can play another three years if Bailey uses him smart.

I'm all for playing him as a tall wing man and giving 80 per cent of the ruck duties to Meeson and Jamar/Johnson. I still don't think we can judge any of these guys until they are able to spend a considerable amount of game time in the ruck, not just 10 minutes per quarter.

As for Jeffrey, I see no reason why he can't be dangerous on the wing pushing forward because he is such a hard match-up.

It's time for some brave decisions to be made, and I think a move such as this would be positive for all concerned.

I'm all for playing him as a tall wing man and giving 80 per cent of the ruck duties to Meeson and Jamar/Johnson. I still don't think we can judge any of these guys until they are able to spend a considerable amount of game time in the ruck, not just 10 minutes per quarter.

As for Jeffrey, I see no reason why he can't be dangerous on the wing pushing forward because he is such a hard match-up.

It's time for some brave decisions to be made, and I think a move such as this would be positive for all concerned.

i agree with you on that "paddo"..i think we should use white, neitz, yze, mcdonald and holland very smartly over the next couple of years to elongate their careers with good form

2 years tops, how long can you keep playing a ruckman that hates the contested ball. He contests well in controlled ruck contests then stands by himself on a wing the rest of the time. A few years back he worked hard to get into the defensive hole but the last couple of years he has just chased easy kicks. I hope Bailey won't let him get away with it this year.

IMO Jeffrey White should not ruck for MFC ever again.

However Jeffrey's too much of a talent to be playing in Sandy so i would like to see him tried as a KPP backmen.

Then if that fails. Try him as a tall midfielder ala Goodes.

Then if that fails. Then it's Sandy. (White shouldn't ruck at Sandy either)

I'm sick of Jeffrey being ragged doll and totally raped in the ruck. He cannot hold his ground. He's yesterday's ruckmen.

I'm sick of Jeffrey being ragged doll and totally raped in the ruck. He cannot hold his ground. He's yesterday's ruckmen.

I wouldn't say that he's "yesterday's ruckman". I still think he can be quite valuable in the ruck, but more as a pinch-hitter. I believe that at his age he should be more protected. 15-20 minutes in the ruck every game would be more than enough.

I don't think Jeffrey should be used as a key position back. We already have enough tall, rangy, athletic backmen such as Rivers, Ferguson and Frawley and I doubt whether he has the physical strength to play on the monster forwards.

He could be used at CHF, although I think we'd prefer to develop Newton, Bate, Miller etc in that role. That is why I believe he will be most valuable as a tall wingman who pushes forward.

Does anyone agree???

Ferguson has been delisted.

I am not sure why all the misguided vitriol at White. As a ruckman, his better days are behind him. But from watching the games last year and confirmation through his stats for the year. White was serviceable last year as a ruckman. He is not the best but he lowered the colours of a quite a few through the year.

I would have more concerned at the 196+ NQRs who have masqueraded as ruckman without ever claiming the spot. I hope Meesen steps up. If White is that bad (he isnt) why haven't others pushed in front of him? There lies the problem.

FWIW, he either rucks or he is finished. He is neither a KPF or KPB.

We do need to find the next generation for a player who has served well and is now in his 11th season with the Club.

If White is that bad (he isnt) why haven't others pushed in front of him?

I'm not saying Jeffrey is bad - I love him to bits. But if we are to prolong his career (which we should because he's a star) then we should be looking to play him in another position. Further, we need to develop our young ruck trio who have been starved of opportunities in recent years.

Unless we somehow draft Dean cox or something we are going to be struggling in the ruck division for years to come after Jeff white has left us. We have been blessed to have two great career ruckman in Jim stynes and Jeff white. Now we may not be so lucky. Should have tanked to get kruezer haha.

White is a ruckman who can pinch hit up forward on rare occasions he is not a KPP. His work load in the ruck is far too much for someone his age it must be more 50\50 between our 2nd ruckman. Meeson has a good engine so hopefully he can step up because 1 of our ruckman has to for us to improve. I think White has 3 years left depending on how much ruck work he does, he will be put on the Veteran's List at the end of next year after they sack Yze so that should allow him to have a few more years. I don't think we should looking at getting rid of White just yet Messon might have a good year next year, we may finish on the bottom and get the Fijian ruckman next year or someone may come from nowhere in the next couple of years and do a good job and our problems are solved. We need to keep on looking for ruckman but I think White will play a big part in the ruck for a few years to come.

if we could package him up with say CJ(the man who won a pub raffle with the prize being play for the club of your choice) or Jamar/Johnson/Miller,or the whole lot , depending on what they show this year. in return late first round early second if any club is foolish enough

I'm not saying Jeffrey is bad - I love him to bits. But if we are to prolong his career (which we should because he's a star) then we should be looking to play him in another position. Further, we need to develop our young ruck trio who have been starved of opportunities in recent years.

Paddo, I would prefer to develop an alternative ruckman. White is coming towards the end of his career. The pace of the game and the pressures of AFL will dictate when White's career is up..not us. He's a ruckman and if he cant ruck he is gone.

We would have done well to get him through 2 years IMO.