The Captaincy

Freddy Fuschia

ive been takin a break from demonland... but i had to come back for this topic.

Brock Mclean.. the end of 2006 the stage was set. he really didnt have to do alot to cement him self for the future captain be it next year or in 2 years. (this is true even tho i would have prefered another captain)

Some might say he suffered some badluck about his broken foot... but he still struggled right up to round 22,

this year we saw glimpses of him being unfit, slow , worry under pressure and lack concentration. but i think most were willing to forgive him

The last thing he needed were some off feild-inncidetns .... which brock claims were more "badluck"

well to brock i say "badluck" mate. it was there for the takin and you couldnt wrap it up. to the people that say u want no other player after neitz to captain other than brock... i ask u to take a look at his year this year. :blink:

captains bruce green rivers

Brownlow; I've had a quick look at some of your other posts on this subject and I cant find where you've said why Bruce would be a good captain, just that he would be.

Of course there are arguments against having Brock as captain (that he needs more experience, that he's been somewhat injury prone, etc) but there are also obvious arguments for it. I cant think of one single thing in Bruce's favour, other than that he's experienced and a good player. He's inconsistent, he doesnt inspire his teammates or intimidate the opposition with a ferocious attack on the ball, put simply he lacks many of the most important attributes that make a good captain. I can think of games where he killed the opposition, but I cant think of one close game or a game that we were losing where, through sheer grit, Bruce stood up, inspired the team and got us over the line (ala Brock in the elimination final vrs. the Saints). Thats the sort of thing that makes a captain.

The MFC is a nice club. It has nice players, nice supporters, and a nice history. It's just so nice.

I couldn't give a rat's toss bag about McLean's off season misdemeanors. And I also acknowledge that his season was curtailed by a broken foot that sidelined him for 7 weeks and affected his return. Naturally he was never going to be as fit or sharp after missing that block of the season. And because we have such a nice midfield he was the one that was sat on upon his return.

I'll back McLean to have a fantastic 2008. I'll back him to rebound from some minor setbacks. And he's the only one I want leading this club.

And I hope opposition supporters think he's a pig. It's far better than being nice.

Brownlow; I've had a quick look at some of your other posts on this subject and I cant find where you've said why Bruce would be a good captain, just that he would be.

Of course there are arguments against having Brock as captain (that he needs more experience, that he's been somewhat injury prone, etc) but there are also obvious arguments for it. I cant think of one single thing in Bruce's favour, other than that he's experienced and a good player. He's inconsistent, he doesnt inspire his teammates or intimidate the opposition with a ferocious attack on the ball, put simply he lacks many of the most important attributes that make a good captain. I can think of games where he killed the opposition, but I cant think of one close game or a game that we were losing where, through sheer grit, Bruce stood up, inspired the team and got us over the line (ala Brock in the elimination final vrs. the Saints). Thats the sort of thing that makes a captain.

bruce has done it too... sydney vs melb

reasons for bruce captain

= best player when on song

= voted by players in leadership group must count for somthin.... i dont care if he doesnt inspire u

= middle aged- has experience but still can perform consistantly

= most disiplined player in the side.... u dont see him lose his head... have brain fades.... (kick must improve)

= he is a smart and clever footballer

bruce has done it too... sydney vs melb

reasons for bruce captain

= best player when on song

= voted by players in leadership group must count for somthin.... i dont care if he doesnt inspire u

= middle aged- has experience but still can perform consistantly

= most disiplined player in the side.... u dont see him lose his head... have brain fades.... (kick must improve)

= he is a smart and clever footballer

i do like bruce but its hard for the public to tell who the leaders are behind closed doors aswell as on the pitch

I think that the captaincy will remain with Neita for the 2008 season, with Brock McLean, Junior and Green taking the mantle for games in which the Big Fella is injured or (perhaps) rested. Their performances as captains during these games - as well as their off-field leadership - will probably determine which of the three will become captain in 2009.

While I think that we should pick a long-term captain to replace Neitz after he retires, I don't necessarily agree with "just giving" it to Chook. If you look at the performances of St. Kilda's recent young, one-year captains, none - with the exception of Lenny Hayes - have been able to play consistently or injury-free during their respective years as skipper. This is particularly true with Nick Reiwoldt and Luke Ball (whom, incidentally, I view to be very similar in talent, mindset and injury-proneness, to McLean.)

The most important thing for Melbourne now - as we have such a young list - is to get the most out of our aging players, not only performance-wise, but also in terms of their ability to lead and teach new players. Having said that, however, in order to maximise Neita's longevity as a player and leader, I believe he should be rested a couple of games this year, which may enable him to give one more, unburdened, captaincy-free season in 2009 - one in which he is able to maximise his goal-scoring ability while minimising his risk of injury.

In 2009, Melbourne, with its group of young stars; Bate, Jonesy, Newton, (hopefully) Sylvia, Rivers and Moloney - with McLean as captain and on-ball giant, accompanied by good seasons from aging players such as Green (played only in the forward line), Bruce (forward, bench and midfield), Junior, Robbo and Neita in his last year, may have its first real crack at a flag since 2000's inevitable loss to Essendon.