• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Saintsational vs Demonland

HarveysDeciple

Well done boys. Good effort. I apologize for not making it to the game, but in the end I only got back from my conference at 4 pm and didn't really think the game would still be going on by then. But I would definitely be up for it if another opportunity came around.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Sunday, 21 October 2007, saintsational claimed the “big carl’ trophy for the first time in three meetings, scoring 14.10.94 to pip demonland/demonology by 5 points.We ended with 13.11.89.

We wasn’t robbed, but gee we were stiff.

The sun was hot and the footy action was hotter. No saints supporter could doubt the commitment of our blokes, and we could not doubt theirs.

It may sound like heresy, but I am sort of glad that they finally won. They were stiff to lose to us in the very first game, and we want these social games to keep happening. Victory after victory would soon become boring - to victor and vanquished alike – so, in a way, I am pleased that I did not have to lug big carl back home to the bush.

We had sufficient numbers, but the sainters had far too many. We generously agreed to accept some of their players to even up the benches, and they generously gave us 4 (very) good players, who played their guts out for us. We would never have got so close without them IMO. Shannon and the 3 Spinner brothers – thank you. (The scary thing here is that these guys will be playing against us next time).

First quarter.

In the first quarter, the sainters charged out of the blocks with 3 unanswered goals. It looked like a massacre in the making. They had some excellent mid-fielders, and one player in particular (Ilsy, No.15) who obviously plays quite a few grades above inter-forum footy. I read on saintsational that he is trying out for the scorpions, and I wish him well. He certainly presents as a complete footballer, who can get the ball, use the ball and kick goals as and when required. Recovering from the shock, we started to make some forays forward. But most of our guys had not played with each other before, so there was not much system, and lots of rushed points and rebounding by the opposition. But our backline, which was tight and solid all day, was rebounding as well, as the sainters broke down, not so much at half-forward as at full-forward, reminding me of the VFL games of my youth. Finally, fuzz broke the deadlock with a goal against the tide, and then our acting captain, melbournefc, added another after a good build-up. But we were still playing catch-up footy. At quarter time, the sainters were up by 17 points, 5.3.33 to 2.4.16.

Second quarter.

In the second quarter, the second half of the first quarter was revealed as close to the truth. This was a contest and an arm-wrestle. Our back-line was overworked, but super solid. Alex (mate of mickrocks) became the first of many to run with the sainters’ No.15, doing a godfrey on their judd, and doing it well. Madness moved into the ruck, and we started getting first use of the ball. The forward-line started to function as a team, and all over the ground we started to trust in the ability of the blokes in front, running or leading and calling for the ball. Team goals came to mickrocks and joseph (spinner). Bucking the trend, imtoohot ran most of the length of the field, avoiding 8 opponents (and 4 of his own enraged team-mates) to slot a beauty. But the sainters had their own champions as well, and were just as determined in the unforgiving heat. The second term was dead even, and we went into the main break still 17 points down, 8.5.53 to 5.6.36.

(Have to break to make some phone calls for work – will try to finish tonight)…

(At half-time, I reflected on the fact that we had Whispering Jack as coach and redleg as assistant coach, which gave us a real edge. They had sorted out the match-ups and rung the rotations, and the sainters had no such organization. The third quarter was to prove their worth. The same has been said on the saintsational forum).

Third quarter.

The third quarter was ours. To the surprise of many spectators on both sides, we smashed the opposition in the mid-field, with the sainters NO.15 shut down, madness dominating in the ruck, and jimi9 and brownlowbruce running through the lines, seemingly without opponents. Stynes Factor was all over the field, kicking goals one moment and saving them the next. The whole team lifted a notch, and the backline got to watch for whole periods of play. Diablo was a revelation on the forward-line, with 2 majors for the term. Rivvo also scored 2, with strong leading and marking. Madness capped off his dominance with a goal as well. We smashed the sainters, took the lead, and built on it. Unfortunately, someone blew the siren. We went into the final break 9 points clear, 11.9.75 to 10.6.66. Surely it was all over, how far the dees ??

(A read on the saintsational forum reveals that my old mate/enemy, barks, gave the sainters one helluva rev-up at the break. This was their third attempt to win big carl, and the kitchen sink was coming at us !!).

Final Quarter.

There have been many games at AFL level when we have doubted that we got our money’s worth. This game, we would have paid for the privilege of watching many times over. The first 5-10 minutes did not see the demon dance continue. It was back to an almighty arm-wrestle, and the breathless spectators started to realise that the first goal was going to be very important. Finally, it was the sainters who got the goal, and then very quickly another, and we had (somehow) lost the lead. But there was no way we were going to lie down. The arm-wrestle set in again, with players on both sides commiting and running and putting in second and third efforts that belied belief in the stifling heat. Jimi9 was on fire, like he had duplicated himself so he could be in 2 places at once. Similar heroics came from too many other players for my pencil to keep up. It was more like watching tennis, with the court being the half-back lines and the net in the centre. Finally, after a great build-up featuring brownlowbruce and a host of others, jezza broke through for a goal that gave us back the lead with only minutes to play. Moments later, rivvo led well and marked strongly, his shot for goal our opportunity to seal the win. Unfortunately, his shot went wide. The sainters stormed forward again, but their goal was answered quickly by a beautiful goal from joseph (spinner) as the lead changed again, and again, with now just seconds on the clock. The sainters’ last desperate effort resulted in a freak goal (which I will leave it to others to describe) and the lead was theirs again. We were storming forward again (clear possession at half-forward) when the siren sounded.

I have to apologise. There were too many new players, and the rotations too many, for me to keep up and give each player his due. It also did not help that most of our players sported number 5 !! Our back-line heroes can legitimately feel hard-done-by by my incompetence, and I invite other players and spectators to add to this (very) poor effort.

All respect to the players for refusing to sing the song after the defeat…

Many thanks to yipper, the umpire, who called it both ways and made less mistakes than his AFL counterparts…

Coaches. As I said above, (very) good job. We need you for future matches.

Legend (aka legend87) deserves a special mention for his assistance with the organization of the game at many levels. I don’t think we could manage without you, mate.

GeorgeOTO… thanks for goal-umpiring and the great pics…

Tim Staynes, the players really appreciated seeing Mr. Demonology there to support them…

Knees, thanks for the extra water. People laughed at the amount we had at the start of the game, but we had run out at the final break…

Finally, melbournefc, this was the best-organised forum footy game so far – great job !!

(People on both sides have remarked how they have refrained from recruiting semi-professional players to play in these games. That would defeat the purpose. We would like it to remain that any forum player who thinks he/she can play a bit, can put their name down for a friendly but spirited game of back-yard footy).

Thanks for the match report Rollo :)

Well done Rollo.

I'll come down and bring that ruckmen next game.

I play footy with Ilzy from Saintsational. He's not bad. It sounds like that bloke 'Onur' didn't play for them. He dominated last time.

We'll win it back next game!

Rollo, well said - I couldn't have said it better myself!

Thanks for your kind words too....I really enjoyed the fact that we could all unite as a group and take our game on the park and have a good 'ol fashion crack for "Big Carl".

I am edging....REALLY edging for another tilt at it...I just wander whether Wise Monkey is going to get something going for our next attempt, sooner rather than later.

Thanks to all you guys who turned up last Sunday...magnificent effort. Let's have another crack at it and give it a real red hot go!

Great report Rollo. Honorable mention to demon ruckle who did a great job at full back. Also to jimi19 who reminded me of jeff white thumping the ball 30 metres in our direction, was great to watch and chase after ;) . Also to my ring in filth, although a soccer player by trade I thought he did well. And whoever brought all the water a million times thanks we would have died without.

Cheers

And also i'm up for a game whenever as soon as next weekend or whatever! I'll probaly be able to get filth and maybe another 1 or 2 ring ins aswell.

Great report Rollo. Honorable mention to demon ruckle who did a great job at full back. Also to jimi19 who reminded me of jeff white thumping the ball 30 metres in our direction, was great to watch and chase after ;) . Also to my ring in filth, although a soccer player by trade I thought he did well. And whoever brought all the water a million times thanks we would have died without.

Cheers

And also i'm up for a game whenever as soon as next weekend or whatever! I'll probaly be able to get filth and maybe another 1 or 2 ring ins aswell.

Thought you played very well.

I have to agree. The coach deserved the sack. He shouldn't have allowed the trainers to run and carry the drinks out to the players. :wacko:

I disagree....the coach did an OUTSTANDING job!

"but they are the aints"

have you heard from the hawks forum recently, mfc ??

Nothing at all from the Hawks...I guess contact was never really officially made except for a few posts on their forum.

I think their main guy over there knew Hards or something like that....might be worth posting again or does Wise Monkey know any of them?