It's that time of year!

alpha33

The issue is his knee... if it gets worse next year and he starts to drop off then we only have to carry him for another year... rather than two (see any recent Yze thread). It's a prudent move by the club. The club isn't offering him up for trade, its offering him two years... if he loves the club he'll sign on.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan Cross plays for the Sydney Roosters, dowsn't he.

Daniel Cross is untouchable.

Ryan Hargreaves is okay but he'll just add to our long list of mid/tall backmen.

The Bullies really rate Morris and i think he'll be a hard player to get.

They are going to trade the small quick mids that i listed. Hasn't Rocket said he'll have a close look at them (hinting trade)?

whoops nah he plays in super 14 now

The issue is his knee... if it gets worse next year and he starts to drop off then we only have to carry him for another year... rather than two (see any recent Yze thread). It's a prudent move by the club. The club isn't offering him up for trade, its offering him two years... if he loves the club he'll sign on.

Spot on Graz.

Robbo efforts this year were on the back of two hauls against Carlton :rolleyes: and a bag of 7 against Collingwood where their backline was diminished. Otherwise he has been ordinary, injury prone and increasingly playing for himself.

This is exactly the point. We have to be careful we make a deal going forward that is realistic upon realisable expectations and that we dont slide back into the abyss of past romantic style negotiations. Ftr I like Robbo. He brings many elements toa game , first he can kick goals( well at least its provern ) he will command a decent defender and he can be elctric...all good stuff !!! on the counter balance as described above by Rhino its probable his best days are behind him ( well on any consistent basis ) I am really getting edgy with players prone to injury and any reliance in team set up on them only to have then dissappear. By all means give him 2 as that will probably see out his useful career. otherwise bring on the trades.

Im sure should Bailey and Co sit down with him and talk "Reailty" all things will smooth over.

An indication of how hard nosed this team is going to be from now on will ( to me ) be demonstrated by how we tackle our own team, let alone the opposition :)

I agree with that, and I think he loves the club more than most realise, and he will sign despite wanting a longer deal.

You can't blame him for trying to get the best contract for himself, it is his livelihood afterall, but the club is 100% correct in only offering him two years. He is turning 29, not many 29 year olds get a 3 year deal when they've spent the last 2 seasons hampered by knee injuries.

I also agree with tallstuey about Robbo's contribution to the side. He has had a relatively productive season given his injuries and our mediocrity (more like crapness). He averages about 3 goals in finals too, so there is no doubt he is an important weapon in September.

The Bulldogs player I'd be interested in is Dale Morris. He'd be a good inclusion to our backline.

I'd be hesitant to trade Robbo because I think he is too important to our structure at the moment and we don't have enough other forwards ready to take over. If Neita went down with injury next year it would really expose us.

But if we could do a straight swap for Morris that would be a huge win for our club. He's a very good player who rarely gets beaten, can play on talls and smalls and is only 24. He would be a fantastic addition to our backline. Unfortunately I think the Dogs know how good a player he is and he'd probably be untouchable. Other than that I really don't think players like McMahon, Giansiracusa are what we need so I think we'd be more likely to trade for picks with them if it went ahead. Their second round pick (which would be around the 20 mark) would be about right.

how many 3 year deals that [censored] up in our faces do we want to give out for aging players before we learn our lesson.

Yze- disaster. since he was given the rediculously generous deal his last 2 seasons have been aweful and he's still contracted. if he was given a 2 year deal, we could have given him a 1 year deal this year at a much lower value which reflects his worth to the team. he isnt even in our best 22 and probably earns 400K this year because most 3 year deals are largest in the 3rd year if they can be a veteran.

Bizzel- disaster. was earning way above his worth in 2007. was not in our best 22 and earned big bucks

Bruce- disaster. signed earlier this year and was given a deal that was way too generous. since then his form has dropped and his skills are atrocious. now we have to hang on to him for 3 years and can't even offer him up for trade. a 2 year deal would have been much more appropriote.

Robbo- IS 29 YEARS OLD. he has shonky knees. sure he is a great player and i love him. but in 2 years time his knees could have given way. if this is the case he will lose some spring which is vital for him. it is simply the biggest risk ever to give him 3 years considering his age and his knees.

what do we owe robbo that he deserves 3 years. has he won us a premiership? is he our most promising 21 year old? No and NO. he should be given a respectable 2 year deal and if he's still playing well at 31 then give him another deal. y risk 3 year deal if he might break down after 2?

giving robbo a 3-year deal simply makes no sense. if he wants a 3 yr deal and the bullies will offer it to him, then fair enough thats his perogative. hopefully we can get Ray and a 3rd rounder.

if hes willing to take a 2 year deal id love to have him at the club next year. otherwize adios

Are you all mad!

No realistic! <_<

Robbo is worth plenty to the club in many many ways.

1)He is a very useful second or third target up forward. Great marking skills.

Not if his knee is shot and it has been for the past two years.

2) No forward pocket or flanker kicks bags each week. He does a sensational job of getting a couple most games with bags quite often through the season and I think 30-50 goals is very very handy.

He does not play as flanker. He has been playing from the goal square

3) He has carried an unstable knee joint problem this year and to have played at all is remarkeble.

Its two years now and its problem and his contributions are fading.

4) He can play key position if we really need him to should we loose a tall forward.

He has provided a marking mismatch in the past when we have had Neitz there. With Neitz gone in the next year and his knee I doubt whether he could fulfill that role.

5) He is very quick and skilled at ground level.

He is????? Robbo suffers little application to second efforts and his defensive skills for a forward are poor. Too often his over commitment to MOTD undermines his ability to act if and when the ball hits the ground. He was not very quick prior to the knee injury and with it he relatrively immobile

6) He markets the club beautifully and speaks to the supporters - not at them.

I want a footballer not a marketing manager. So what Robbo's style fits the footy show. We value him on what he does on the ground.

7) He is passionate AND DISPLAYS IT which is more than most do.

He is also selfish and lazy at times and displays it regularly. Passion is good but that alone is not enough. If he is passionate for MFC he will take the two years.

In other words, even though he is 28 or 29, he is EXACTLY what Melbourne need, even if only for a couple more years.

So many times I have thought... Please get rid of Robbo!!

But now I don't particulary want to. However giving him a 3 year deal is wrong and id be somewhat [censored] off he got that. We have seen with some other players that 3 year deals are a massive risk, and with Robbos knee injuries its very dangerous.

Id be happy with a 2 year deal. If he doesn't want it, move him to the dogs, throw in our pick 21 and get their first rounder and a bit player.

I'd give him the Khyber.

If he truly loved the team, then he would handball to a straight running kicker towards goal, or he would pass to a team mate in a better position, or, importantly, he would chase his man down the other end of the ground and apply defensive pressure.

Robbo is selfish, and no amount of media passion and winning smiles can change what we see on the field.

Being uncontracted, can't he just walk free into the Pre-Season draft.

sure can !!

He's not worth a first round pick.

Let's be realistic.

Maybe getting involved in a 3-way trade is the way to go. Robbo + 3rd rounder to the Dogs, Doggies give ???? to a team up in the 8, we get that teams 1st rounder.

Or maybe Robbo and our 2nd round pick, for the Dogs 1st round pick. Just some ideas (and don't forget that it is being seen as a shallow draft)

But i'd only trade Robbo if the price is right. Coz despite his flaws, when fit and on fire, he is one of the more lethal forwards in the game.

Are you all mad!

Robbo is worth plenty to the club in many many ways.

1)He is a very useful second or third target up forward. Great marking skills.

2) No forward pocket or flanker kicks bags each week. He does a sensational job of getting a couple most games with bags quite often through the season and I think 30-50 goals is very very handy.

3) He has carried an unstable knee joint problem this year and to have played at all is remarkeble.

4) He can play key position if we really need him to should we loose a tall forward.

5) He is very quick and skilled at ground level.

6) He markets the club beautifully and speaks to the supporters - not at them.

7) He is passionate AND DISPLAYS IT which is more than most do.

In other words, even though he is 28 or 29, he is EXACTLY what Melbourne need, even if only for a couple more years.

Then why is he holding the club to ransom like Yze did a few years ago. If he wants to play hard ball then get the best deal we can for him. No more flapping around on the deck like by-catch.

For mine, robbo is too important too our structure to trade for draft picks, unless it include a top ten pick. i would trade robbo for some midfield pace, a player with the genuine ability to break the lines...

if the dogs are enquiring about robbo, we have the upper hand to push for what we want.

we need a ruck, we need pace, and we need another long term CHF, KPP. the dogs have pace, and we could use it, and allow us to focus on other areas in the draft. while bate and dunn will play some time in the middle, they will also be rested up forward a bit...

robbo is good, so if we trade him it has to be worth it.

to put it in a nutshell.

Robbo when fit..is brilliant

Robbo when injured is next to useless !!

Put all the rosey coloured glasses away folks.. What WILL he be going forward.. not what WAS he in review !!!

Thats the question

wasnt injured all year.. and Yes..when inured.. he is not full value, how can he be.

If fully fit he ought to be capable of 50-60 goals a year..is 2-3 a game too much to ask for the 2nd up forward.. does he do that ?

wasnt injured all year.. and Yes..when inured.. he is not full value, how can he be.

If fully fit he ought to be capable of 50-60 goals a year..is 2-3 a game too much to ask for the 2nd up forward.. does he do that ?

No one is able to perform when injured, look at Judd!

mo64, I never equated individual goal kicking with team success. However as a forward, it is Robbo's main job to kick goals. He was our leading goal kicker this year, despite poor delivery from the midfield and so forth. Therefore, he has done his primary job.

It would be nice if he chased more, didn't go to ground as often, etc etc... but he did his job.